Lord of the Rings (TE) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just posted on highdefdigest.com
Warner Home Video has unveiled a new year-long, "Buy Five, Get One Free" Blu-ray promotion that offers the first preview of dozens of their biggest 2009/2010 next-gen release, including the first confirmation of the still-unannounced 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy.
The promotion, which Warner just unveiled this week, runs a full year (through April 6, 2010) and contains an extensive list of eligible titles that have yet to hit stores or haven't even been announced for upcoming release.
ADVERTISEMENT
Among the dozens of titles listed include such recently-announced but still to come hits as 'Gran Torino,' 'He's Just Not That Into You,' 'Yes Man' and 'The Cell 2.'
Even more exciting are the many recent theatrical releases that have yet to be officially announced for Blu-ray release, including such hits and likely blockbusters as 'Watchmen,' 'Inkheart,' 'Mr. Troop Mom,' 'Observe & Report,' 'Ghosts of Girlfriends Past,' 'My Sister's Keeper,' 'Hangover,' 'The Orphan,' 'Preacher's Kid,' 'Shorts,' 'Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince,' 'Four Christmases,' 'Terminator Salvation,' 'Jonah Hex,' 'Whiteout,' 'Final Destination 4,' 'The Informant,' 'Ninja Assassin,' 'Green Lantern' and the recent remake of 'Friday the 13th.'
Finally, also included on the list are many top catalog and direct-to-video premiere titles, among them 'The Wizard of Oz,' '300: Ultimate Collector's Edition,' 'A Charlie Brown Christmas,' 'Horton Hears a Who,' 'Scooby-Doo: The Beginning,' 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas,' 'Star Wars: Clone Wars - Season One,' 'Superman Batman: Public Enemies,' 'Gone with the Wind' and the complete 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy.
Unfortunately, the promo offers no street date or specs. But as many of these titles remain some of the most highly-anticipated next-gen releases by early adopters, even such a small morsel of information is encouraging. It certainly seems to indicate the title is likely to hit Blu-ray from Warner in the coming year.

I hope they do the LOTR trilogy right and do the extended versions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry....I didn't know how to highlight just the area that talks about LOTR.
post #3 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I added bold text. "[" "b" "]" text "[" "/b" "]" without quotes or spaces. Still no date.....

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #4 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

This thread got me all excited. Until I read it. I thought there was a date announcement. Obviously LOTR is coming to blu. But im more excited for Star Wars 1-6.
post #5 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Don't be suprised if this turns out to be a slap in the face. Hope I'm wrong, but I saw somewhere that the rumour is we'll see the theatrical versions first. Speaking only for myself, if this is so I'll wait for the directors cut. I already double dipped once, never again.
post #6 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post

Don't be suprised if this turns out to be a slap in the face. Hope I'm wrong, but I saw somewhere that the rumour is we'll see the theatrical versions first. Speaking only for myself, if this is so I'll wait for the directors cut. I already double dipped once, never again.

+1
I'll take the extended cut in SD over the theatrical versions in HD.
post #7 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I changed the title of the thread...though this is not new news. Many reports including inserts have been stating LOTR due in 2009...

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #8 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Yeah, I can't go back to theatrical either. HD or not.
post #9 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

I hope they learned their lesson with the Dark Knight, and don't jack around with the PQ. That would be a huge bummer.
post #10 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Hope I'm wrong, but I saw somewhere that the rumour is we'll see the theatrical versions first.

That was New Line's plan, but a lot has changed over there, like, who now calls the shots. I'm hopeful that the powers that be at Warner are not quite so mercenary as to release the theatrical versions when everyone knows the extended version would be the most obvious double dip in the history of home video. That isn't exactly Warner's style, but we'll have to see when it gets announced.
post #11 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:

I hope they learned their lesson with the Dark Knight, and don't jack around with the PQ.

Who's the "they" you are referring to? You don't think it was some exec at Warner that supervised/approved the Dark Knight transfer, do you?
post #12 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George View Post

Who's the "they" you are referring to? You don't think it was some exec at Warner that supervised/approved the Dark Knight transfer, do you?

I mean whoever is to blame. I just want it to be correct.
post #13 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wish View Post

+1
I'll take the extended cut in SD over the theatrical versions in HD.

AMEN. Not buying the theatricals.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away there was....Club Timobi Wan-Episode II.
post #14 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 377
My guess is, realistically, they are going to want something to promote Hobbit in a couple of years and double dipping with the extended versions would be a good way to do that.

post #15 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
There was an insert in a BD or something at the end of last year that specifically referred to The Fellowship of the Ring coming, so I'm not surprised. And let's face it--they know they're going to make coin on an HD double-dip (at the very least I'm down for an HD Fellowship), so why not get those theatrical versions out first (and thus make any screwups on those and not the EEs)?

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #16 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Would Bluray disc capacity allow for the theatrical and extended editions of each film to be put on a single disc with seamless branching?
post #17 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
We know it's confirmed.

More interesting (at least to me) is Ralph Bakshi's animated Lord of the Rings will be coming out (I assume around the same time). I always liked that version.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #18 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

extended or no sale

-Gary
post #19 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All over this. The only extended version truly better as a movie is TTT. Prefer RotK and FotR in theatrical, so I am pleased we will be getting both (eventually).
post #20 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
No date, no care.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #21 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, there's not going to be the extended cuts via seemless branching. They'll probably do what they did with DVD to make the most money: Theatrical-Extended-Both together, all at separate times.
post #22 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary murrell View Post

extended or no sale

-gary

+1

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #23 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 04:42 PM

There was a rumour posted about this over at The Digital Bits about a week ago, with the theory that they would probably be releasing bare-bones theatrical cuts this Christmas saying that Peter Jackson is saving the extended versions with all the extras for release in 2012 to coincide with the theatrical release of the Hobbit films.

Although I'm not happy about it, this sounds like a pretty reasonable scenario.

I'm thinking they might bundle all three theatrical cuts together at a special price. I'm guessing that they will make it just enticing enough to get people (like me) who have promised themselves that they wouldn't dip yet again at the LOTR well...to dip again.

2012 is a long wait for the EEs, if the price is right on a no-muss-no-fuss three film box set, I figure I'll end up taking the bait, I really, really want to see these films in HD on my big screen.
post #24 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristobal View Post

I'm thinking they might bundle all three theatrical cuts together at a special price. I'm guessing that they will make it just enticing enough to get people (like me) who have promised themselves that they wouldn't dip yet again at the LOTR well...to dip again.

I could definitely see this - in addition, Warner has been good with catalog pricing.

post #25 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristobal View Post

There was a rumour posted about this over at The Digital Bits about a week ago, with the theory that they would probably be releasing bare-bones theatrical cuts this Christmas saying that Peter Jackson is saving the extended versions with all the extras for release in 2012 to coincide with the theatrical release of the Hobbit films.

Although I'm not happy about it, this sounds like a pretty reasonable scenario.

2012 is a long wait for the EEs, if the price is right on a no-muss-no-fuss three film box set, I figure I'll end up taking the bait, I really, really want to see these films in HD on my big screen.

That's been the rumor for well over a week. The Digital Bits got to that story REALLY late.
post #26 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 244
If we're having to wait forever for the extended cuts on Blu-ray, then this is what must be included.

1) Brand new, super-spectacular 7.1 channel, 24 bit surround mixes encoded in DTS-Master Audio with supervision by Jackson and the original sound engineers at Mi Casa (which does most of the 7.1 re-mixes).

2) Gollum re-rendered in "The Fellowship" by WETA to match the CGI in "The Two Towers" and "The Return of the King" and "The Hobbit."

3) Taken directly from supervised (by Jackson and the DP), pristine 4k IP scans. No DNR and no edge enhancement!!

4) Each movie split onto two BD-50's for optimal PQ. Maximum video bitrates! No seamless branching. The theatrical cuts can be on separate discs.

5) All of the extras from the DVD deluxe sets on separate discs.

6) New extras in HD, all trailers and promo ads in 1080p and DTS-MA, 24 bit audio.

7) New music cues to create a type of "roadshow release" with intro., intermission, and exit music with title cards.

I hate the way they do it on the DVD's. It breaks the flow... and it's not "theatrical."

Anything else you can think of?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #27 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

extended or no sale

-Gary

I will purchases both versions regardless.

Frank

post #28 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Well, we are coming up on 3 years of BD, and waiting another 3+ years for the extended cuts really blows!!

I'll be interested to see how much of an improvement the Theatrical editions compare to the DVHS recordings I have. The Starz HD extended version of TTT looks REALLY damn good on my PJ.

I enjoy the extended versions more, so if we have to wait for them, lets hope they do a fantastic job on the theatrical versions we "might" get later this year.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #29 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

3) Taken directly from supervised (by Jackson and the DP), pristine 4k IP scans. No DNR and no edge enhancement!!

Considering the DIs for TTT and RotK are 2K and no completed 4K elements exist, there's no real point to a 4K scan. The Blu-ray transfers for those two will likely be derived from the 2K DIs. Not sure about Fellowship, but I'd guess that will be from a telecine master since it didn't have a DI.

Also, IIRC, the DI for TTT has some DNR baked into it. People complained about noticing it in the theater during the Warg battle.
post #30 of 2590 Old 04-08-2009, 09:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

extended or no sale

-Gary

exactly, brother....
Reply Blu-ray Software