Classic/Modern Gamera Series coming to Blu - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-21-2009, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My Blu-ray collection can finally be complete knowing that classic kaiju is coming to Blu-ray... even if it's only in Japan and it's Gamera not Godzilla. This includes the classic series and the Hesei series. Also, the Daimajin trilogy is coming too, but Gamera is a bit more exciting.

I've seen the Japanese DVDs of the original Gamera series (and own many of them) and the PQ was damned impressive. The same goes for the updated trilogy, which slaughters the US release of the same films. Hope these are region free. I may import despite the high price.

http://www.digitalmonsterisland.com (Can't link to actual post as there is no link, sorry)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-21-2009, 12:38 PM

Liked: 10
This is fantastic news, indeed. Will definitely pick up the Heisei Trilogy, of which my son and I are huge fans. The final battle between Gamera and Iris is truly one of the best out of all the kaiju films I've seen. Here's hoping for a killer lossless audio track!!

Would like to see them follow up with Gamera The Brave too!!

As for the region, not a problem. Japan and the US are one in the same in that regard. Now, english subtitles....that's an issue that I'd be very concerned with. Fingers crossed....

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

GOOD NEWS:
Lookee what I found; http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=DAXA-1124
Region Free
BAD NEWS:
Subtitles: None

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Here's Amazon Japan page showing every one of the box sets available for pre-order;
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%98%AD%E5...d_bxgy_d_img_b

Here's a forum with high res pics of same box sets;
http://adg.invisionzone.com/index.ph...=0&#entry33385
post #3 of 15 Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The price for the box sets is actually pretty reasonable on Amazon.Japan running about 12,000yen for the two 60's/70's Gamera box set collections and 9,235yen for the 90's box set (10,000 yen is almost $100 US dollars now and continues to fall against the dollar). If I recall, that's dramatically cheaper then the similar dvd format box sets were when they were released about 7 years ago (the 90's Gamera Trilogy 5 disc dvd box set retailed at 24,000yen!).

It's *almost* a deal breaker not to have English subtitles. It was interesting that Toshiba/Daiei included English subtitles on the dvd releases of these movies unlike Toho and their Godzilla/Kaiju movies on dvd but I'd guess this is Kadokawa/Daiei's only weapon to slow exports of these titles out of Japan since the US and Japan share the same region coding for blu-ray.

I'm not a big fan of the pre-90's Gamera movies, but I will make sure to grab the 90's Box set even without English subtitles. I expect to be blown away by the sound and video quality.

T.B.
post #4 of 15 Old 05-07-2009, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I used to play with Japanese Gamera and Godzilla toys all the time when I was a kid.

Those box sets are so tempting, but naturally they aren't subbed. I still might take the plunge if I have the cash to spare, though. I don't see them getting a more English-friendly release any time soon.

I love that box art, very classy.

"Out of the mists of history, the legendary Esquilax! A horse with the head of a rabbit... and the body... of a rabbit."
post #5 of 15 Old 05-08-2009, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I normally would run to pickup the 90's Gamera trilogy and the first Daimajin movie at least. but no subs is a deal breaker for me.
Typical. If they do come out with a US version later, it will be sub-par.
I'm deeply disappointed.
J
post #6 of 15 Old 05-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post

Hope these are region free.

Are you in the US?

If you are it doesn't really matter if they're region coded.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-23-2009, 08:16 PM

Anyone else order these?

I ordered the individual films (don't care for the sets) from Amazon, and it looks like they've sold very well. Two of them (Gamera vs. Barugon and Gamera vs. Gyaos) are sold out, and the others are down to just a few copies.

Who knows when they'll restock the other 2 films, but the other 6 should be on my porch early next week.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-23-2009, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfootse7en View Post

I ordered the individual films (don't care for the sets) from Amazon, and it looks like they've sold very well. Two of them (Gamera vs. Barugon and Gamera vs. Gyaos) are sold out, and the others are down to just a few copies.

Not too surprising. Those were the best of the original series, even better than the original really. Also, you don't know how many were stocked either, but still, gotta keep hope up that a US company picks up on this and gives them a subtitled release.

Let us know how the pic quality is!
post #9 of 15 Old 02-26-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Mill Creek is bringing the classic Gamera movies to Blu-Ray now that Shout no longer has the rights to them! They will release them in two four-movie sets. No specs known at this time but let's hope they are not 4 movies crammed on a single BD as is often the case with Mill Creek releases.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-26-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Since I'm sure most that collect them have the SDs from Shout and the last 3 on BD, so what's the point of double dipping? I know they'll be in HD, but that ain't a good enough reason to add more packaging to your collection.

Just give us the Godzillas in Japanese with English subs that haven't been released yet...PLEASE!

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

My equipment consists of: Epson 9500 UB Projector(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player, Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC DVR-HD Cable Box; 5 Bello chairs.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-26-2014, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post

Since I'm sure most that collect them have the SDs from Shout and the last 3 on BD, so what's the point of double dipping? I know they'll be in HD, but that ain't a good enough reason to add more packaging to your collection.

You're joking?

Obtaining movies and TV in high definition is the whole point of Blu-ray.

Buying something in a new format is NOT double-dipping. Double dipping is when you buy something in the same format in order to obtain something extra like commentaries or an additional soundtrack.. If you owned something on VHS and then bought the DVD, would that be double dipping? Actually it would be pretty close because the VHS tape and the DVD would have about the same resolution.

But replacing a standard defintion presentation with a high definition presentation is not double dipping by any reasonable standard.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-26-2014, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
No, you don't double dip for the sake of it. You double dip when the BD is of better all around quality. The SDs are good enough and upscaled you can't go wrong. I stand by what I say!!!

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

My equipment consists of: Epson 9500 UB Projector(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player, Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC DVR-HD Cable Box; 5 Bello chairs.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-27-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I still want my copy of War of the Gargantuas from Japan... can someone hook me up?

I see they are down to around 5,000 yen now. that is affordable. I just have an impossible task navigating that japanese amazon website.

VPI Classic 2/Soundsmith Aida - Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL103R
Parks Audio Budgie Pre Amp - Budgie SUT - Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse
Pioneer SC85 - Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio-Klipsch RC64II - Klipsch SW115
Samsung PN64D8000 - OPPO BDP93
Klipsch Image Ones - Klipsch x11i
post #14 of 15 Old 02-28-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

Mill Creek is bringing the classic Gamera movies to Blu-Ray now that Shout no longer has the rights to them! They will release them in two four-movie sets. No specs known at this time but let's hope they are not 4 movies crammed on a single BD as is often the case with Mill Creek releases.

Found out that they are in fact four movies on a single BD. Hopefully it's a BD-50 and not a BD-25 like earlier Mill Creek BDs.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-09-2014, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

They are up now for pre-order at Best Buy for $15. You can pre-order them and Godzilla: The Complete Series to get them together for a smorgasbord of giant monster madness in a single shipment or just wait another week and order these with all the giant monster movies coming out in the first week of May to promote Godzilla.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page