Info on The Eagles Farewell 1 Tour On Blu - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 05-04-2009, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, I own this title on HD DVD and have been waiting for this to come out on Blu so I can get rid of my Toshiba HD-A30. I know others here are waiting for this on Blu as well so I emailed Rhino/WEA last week to see if there were any plans on releasing it anytime soon. By their response it doesn't look good. I guess I will be keeping my HD DVD player longer than I thought so I can continue enjoy this concert. Here is their reply:

Dear Richard,

We do not have current plans for a Blu-Ray version of this release, but thank you for your input. I will forward your message to our suggestion box.

Dr. Rhino

Stay up to date with all things Rhino, including upcoming release information, contests & other fun stuff, by signing up for the Rhino Newsletter:

http://www.rhino.com/RZine/newsletter.lasso

...and the Rhino Handmade Early Warning Newsletter:

http://www.rhinohandmade.com/newsletter.lasso

"Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music." ~ Keith Richards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-04-2009, 08:43 AM

Liked: 11
We do not have current plans for a Blu-Ray version of this release, but thank you for your input. I will forward your message to our suggestion box.

Wow, that's very surprising. This is one of the best HD concerts discs released on either format. Could be just a stock answer to inquiries.

Perhaps there are some licensing issues associated with this release or between WB/Rhino and the Eagles? I'm happy to own the HD-DVD version, though.
post #3 of 36 Old 05-04-2009, 09:10 AM
tsb
AVS Special Member

that sucks

I have three of the HD DVDs and none of them ever play through flawlessly on my SAs or my HTPC. I hate HD DVDs because of similar issues with playback with many in my collection.

Not a single problem with over 300 BDs though. I thought HD DVD was supposed to be so reliable and simple to produce.
post #4 of 36 Old 05-04-2009, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb View Post

that sucks

I have three of the HD DVDs and none of them ever play through flawlessly on my SAs or my HTPC. I hate HD DVDs because of similar issues with playback with many in my collection.

Not a single problem with over 300 BDs though. I thought HD DVD was supposed to be so reliable and simple to produce.

That's odd. I have about 50 HD DVD's and have never had a problem with any of them playing on my Toshiba HD-A30. The Eagles disc is one of my two reference demo discs. My Toshiba sends a 96khz DTS bitstream to my Yamaha RX-V3900 for decoding and the sound is just incredible!

"Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music." ~ Keith Richards
post #5 of 36 Old 05-04-2009, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick88 View Post

That's odd. I have about 50 HD DVD's and have never had a problem with any of them playing on my Toshiba HD-A30. The Eagles disc is one of my two reference demo discs.

+1....I also still have about 50 HDDVD's....both my A30 & A2 continue to work flawlessly.

HiDef S c o p e Fanboy-man
post #6 of 36 Old 01-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Seems I am finally getting my Blu-ray of the Eagles concert. Due to be released Feb 19. Now just waiting for Paul McCartney NYC concert.
post #7 of 36 Old 01-12-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1216 View Post

Seems I am finally getting my Blu-ray of the Eagles concert. Due to be released Feb 19. Now just waiting for Paul McCartney NYC concert.
I see it on elusivedisc.com, I'm surprised it's not on any other store sites.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #8 of 36 Old 01-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

I see it on elusivedisc.com, I'm surprised it's not on any other store sites.

Here it is on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Farewell-Live-From-Melbourne-Blu-ray/dp/B00AR1G3FS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1358016009&sr=8-7&keywords=eagles+blu+ray
post #9 of 36 Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 AM

Can anybody find any information about the sound tracks? I did pre order one from Amazon and the description has no information about anything. I certainly hope they went back and remastered the sound track.
post #10 of 36 Old 02-02-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've got it pre ordered! I'm curious, iolmaster, what is it you would want from a remaster? The HDDVD sounds great. Ohhh, I suppose you mean it could now be in DTSMA now that it's on blu? I would mind a little more umphh to the low end, myself.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #11 of 36 Old 02-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

I've got it pre ordered! I'm curious, iolmaster, what is it you would want from a remaster? The HDDVD sounds great. Ohhh, I suppose you mean it could now be in DTSMA now that it's on blu? I would mind a little more umphh to the low end, myself.

The HD-DVD IS DTS HD Master audio - and it is superb!

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #12 of 36 Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 PM

post #13 of 36 Old 02-08-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I suppose it was. I hadn't looked in so long. Well then, audio is probably going to be exactly the same?

For the $4 difference it's costing me to change over to BR, it's worth it to not have to switch players.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #14 of 36 Old 02-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

I suppose it was. I hadn't looked in so long. Well then, audio is probably going to be exactly the same?

For the $4 difference it's costing me to change over to BR, it's worth it to not have to switch players.

by all means, if I did not already have it on HD-DVD along with a fairly large collection of other HD-DVD titles, I also would be watching to snag this title on blu-ray - it is excellent!

post #15 of 36 Old 02-09-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

The HD-DVD IS DTS HD Master audio - and it is superb!

Since I never had the HD DVD I didn't know that the sound track is DTS MA. I'm glad to hear it will be the same on the blu-ray. They did change the release date. to the 23rd.
post #16 of 36 Old 02-26-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Now I can finally put my HDDVD player to rest .......... Just got the Bluray today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man see things as they were n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR
post #17 of 36 Old 02-26-2013, 08:59 PM

Liked: 32
I'll stick with my HD DVD version thank you! wink.gif
post #18 of 36 Old 02-27-2013, 07:16 AM

I got my copy yesterday and played about 30 minutes of it last night. I do have the DVD also. Here is my take on the differences. The video is a bit better, but only on closeups. So much of the shots from a distance are too out of focus anyway. The difference is there, it is not dramatic. The audio seems to have been tweaked a little. The kick drum and bass guitar have a lot more presence. It now sounds more like a live performance. The vocals are very well placed and you can identify the place on stage very easily. This may be the exact sound track included in the HD DVD. I don't know. It is a DTS HD track. On my system it is not the default track so make sure you are using the right audio track or you may be disappointed. The one thing I wish they had done is move the saxes and trumpet to the front channels. I have no idea who's idea is was to put them in the rear channels. It is totally unnatural. All in all it is a worthwhile upgrade from the DVD. One disc is nice also.
post #19 of 36 Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 AM

Liked: 13
I have the dvd also and the Bluray version was shipped a few days ago.
Even if it's a bit better than the dvd it 's still one heck of a show.
It's one of my favorites besides Jeff Beck's live at Ronnie Scott's for audio and camera work.
post #20 of 36 Old 02-27-2013, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Guess I'll be upgrading my HDDVD copy, which only has the lossy DTS 5.1 track, to the BD for the lossless DTS-HD MA bump.

Here's Blu-ray.com's review of the BD, along with the original HiDef Digest review of the HDDVD, which confirms that it only had the lossy DTS track, and not a lossless track, as stated in an earlier post ....

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Eagles-Farewell-I-Live-From-Melbourne-Blu-ray/63541/#Review
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/28/eagles_liveinmelbourne.html

HiDef S c o p e Fanboy-man
post #21 of 36 Old 02-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe View Post

Guess I'll be upgrading my HDDVD copy, which only has the lossy DTS 5.1 track, to the BD for the lossless DTS-HD MA bump.

Here's Blu-ray.com's review of the BD, along with the original HiDef Digest review of the HDDVD, which confirms that it only had the lossy DTS track, and not a lossless track, as stated in an earlier post ....

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Eagles-Farewell-I-Live-From-Melbourne-Blu-ray/63541/#Review
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/28/eagles_liveinmelbourne.html

Do not believe everything you read - that review of the HD-DVD was posted in 2007. The reviewer probably didn't have equipment that could decode the lossless audio and never realized it was there.
Read further into the user comments and see how many folks pointed out that the review was wrong. The HD-DVD includes a 5.1 DTS HDMaster 5.1 lossless track - and it is superb.

post #22 of 36 Old 02-27-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Is it possible there may be more than one release of the HD-DVD ?
My copy reads DTS 5.1 Surround/PCM Stereo...on the jacket and the disc's on screen menu.

I always played the lossless PCM "stereo" version because it plays 5.1 for some reason. ^^^^see above.
(all input channels (5.1) light up on my Yamaha RX-V3900) player set to output PCM over HDMI.
And it plays on 5.1 speakers without using any PLXll processing.

The DTS 5.1 (lossy core I assume) sounds flat in comparison to the lossless PCM.

Player is just an entry level Toshiba A2 that won't bitstream multi-channel HD audio over HDMI.
Maybe a higher end unit could bitstream over HDMI and show DTS-MA 5.1 on an AVR???

Regardless, I will gladly double dip on this Bluray, I may have worn my HD-DVD out ...lol.
Easily my most played disc regardless of format. A real party favorite when we have guests over.
Most of our friends are our age, and were teens when Hotel California came out.

So having a front row seat, 10' from a 120" screen is pretty good HT demo.

biggrin.gif

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #23 of 36 Old 02-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

The problem is your player - it is NOT capable of bitstreaming DTS-HD Master or Dolby TrueHD lossless audio. You need a HD-XA2 (or its Onkyo clone) or A35.
I expect your player is sending 5.1 channel pcm down the line with only the 2 channels of info actually in there - vs. the lossy DTS "core" when you choose that.

post #24 of 36 Old 02-28-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

The problem is your player - it is NOT capable of bitstreaming DTS-HD Master or Dolby TrueHD lossless audio. You need a HD-XA2 (or its Onkyo clone) or A35.

LOL, I thought that's what I said confused.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

Maybe a higher end unit could bitstream over HDMI and show DTS-MA 5.1 on an AVR???

Wonder if the same rules apply to the Bluray version and my Fat PS3? (that can't Bitstream DTS-MA 5.1 either) set to PCM, just like my HD-A2

I'm guessing its not going to be an issue, since the PS3 can decode DTS-HD and the HD-A2 couldn't.

Anyone read the Bluray audio specs on the sleeve and compare it to the settings/menu options to see what's listed on the BD yet?

...a $17 Bluray will be a cheap audio upgrade (for many*) over the HD-DVD version,

compared to trying to find a new HD-DVD player ( for peeps with a lowly HD-A1,HD-A2, HD-A20....)*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**UPDATE** Lookie what I found on Lunch break Today .... biggrin.gif (Futureshop in Canada)

preview teaser of the History of the Eagles, and it's going to available on Blu smile.gif

Nice little 9 page booklet inside...(not in my HD DVD version iirc)

Coincidence...the inside cover photo is almost the same as one of my screen shots from my build thread from 4 years ago...smile.gif

Every thing on the back cover reads the same as the HD DVD, with one small change...

the addition of the DTS-HD logo bottom right corner. (not present on any part of the HD DVD packaging)

Note to Self: mark April 30th on the calendar ^^^^ ( no year mentioned, sure hope they don't mean 2014)

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #25 of 36 Old 02-28-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

DTS-HD is now a menu selection, it works.....and its AWESOME!!!!!

My First Home Theater
post #26 of 36 Old 02-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

LOL, I thought that's what I said confused.gif

Sorry - I thought you were still questioning what was going on and I missed any reference to what model HD-DVD players were capable of streaming the DTS HDMaster audio from the Eagles title to your receiver - which is why I provided that info. I was also trying to address the 5.1 channel experience you said you were getting when you chose 2 channel pcm out of the player.
I also have a Yamaha RX-V3900, and have done some experimenting with its capabilities - although not extensively, as I tend to prefer the sound exactly as originally intended and recorded on the source.
Looking at the receiver front panel image you included in your post, you should keep in mind that your selection of the sound field program "Entertainment - Music Video" adds processing to the 2 channel pcm signal coming into your receiver. See pg. 43 in your manual for the receiver which describes what processing occurs and what adjustments you can make. See pg. 46 for "unprocessed input sources" if you want to experiment with the signal exactly as it comes into your receiver. I expect you will get strictly the front left & right speakers if you choose "straight" when sending the 2 channel pcm from your player. I may try that also to see what happens in my system and report back.
I am extremely pleased that your blu-ray of this concert title works as you hoped. It is surely a wise, enjoyable and worthwhile purchase.

post #27 of 36 Old 03-01-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I've tried it with the RX-V3900 set to "Straight" mode as well and still got 5.1 channels to play even though PCM stereo was selected.

Whether it's a discrete signal or just spill over from the 2 channel audio I cant be 100% certain. Probably the latter since I just repeated the same experiment with the BD version.

....and the PS3 indicates only 2 channels on the input signal indicator when PCM Stereo is selected (unlike the HD DVD through the HD A2)

As far as post processing goes, I prefer to utilize my front presence speakers for Concerts/Music videos,

I customized my "Entertainment" parameters as one of my saved slots on my remote to disengage the rear surround speakers and engage the front presence channels.

(You cant use the presence speakers in "Straight" mode, you have to select a sound field mode.)

I've A/B tested and people I've demo'd it for all agree the presence channel in Entertainment/Music Video mode enhances the concert experience.

...now that I actually have a lossless DTS HD 5.1 track I can access, (instead of just a PCM Stereo track ) I will have to make a new test/assessment.

My reasoning for this is that a fuller front sound stage with vocals raised to center screen is much more pleasing in a concert environment,

than having the extra rear surround channels, that are better (IMHO) suited to Action/Adventure movies. (for those I use Straight mode)

I also have a Drama Movie setting that uses the front presence speakers for Dialogue Lift,

where better centered dialogue is more important than rear effects/surround material.

(for those of us with projectors and Big Screens , the center channel sits very low,)

Dialogue Lift uses the presence speakers to virtually raise the center channel to a phantom center by sharing some of the centers signal.

It's the next best thing to an acoustically transparent screen with a centered speaker behind it.

(I cant do that, my drop down 120" motorized screen has a wall mounted Kuro behind it)

Yamaha has been doing some of the best DSP work for decades and was doing Front Height/Wide over a dozen years ago,

and its just catching on with other brands within the last couple years

Love my Yamaha Receivers, my first was back in 1980 and I've owned at least 6 others since then.

the 3900 is Rock Solid and I doubt I will be upgrading it any time soon, not even tempted to go 3D.

...sorry for going O/T

Played most of the Eagles BD last night and it really was better than the HD DVD (that was also limited to 1080i on my A2)

The BD in full 1080p and DTS-HD Master Audio took everything up a notch on my favorite Concert Vid.

Only thing I miss from the HD DVD is you could scroll through the menu system to cue up any song order you wanted on the fly while the current song still played uninterupted,

With the BD your menu is separated from the video and doesn't even play background music at the start while scrolling through menu selections.

My First Home Theater
post #28 of 36 Old 03-01-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

Played most of the Eagles BD last night and it really was better than the HD DVD (that was also limited to 1080i on my A2)
The BD in full 1080p and DTS-HD Master Audio took everything up a notch on my favorite Concert Vid.

I thought the Eagles BR was ONLY 1080i resolution? Your BR player or your display will scale the 1080i image to 1080p.
post #29 of 36 Old 03-01-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll have to double check that, most likely my PS3 was up-scaling to 1080p

I just know my HD-A2 was limited to outputting 1080i/720p, with no DTS-HD audio

My First Home Theater
post #30 of 36 Old 03-03-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1216 View Post

Now just waiting for Paul McCartney NYC concert.

Do you know if this is in the works?

I saw him in the last leg of his "On the Run" tour in November. It was the best concert I have ever been to (and I have seen most of the big bands). His concert DVDs are terrible - too much fast cutting and often distractingly to screaming fans. I was caught off-guard by how good it was live. Arena rock mixed with Beatles classics - awesome!

I have seen clips of the NYC show with the special Billy Joel appearance. Sure wish I was there.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page