Clapton & Winwood MSG Concert - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 05-04-2009, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
According to "Where's Eric" website the Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood MSG concert will be released on blu in June 2009:
http://www.whereseric.com/news/2009/...ring-2009.html

Now that's a concert disc I must own!

"There's gotta be some way to hook it up, it's the freakin' future" - Eric Cartman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 05-04-2009, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw both acts (separately) last summer. I will be buying as well.

Michael

Collection:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old 05-05-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Can't wait.I will order this BD for sure.
post #4 of 30 Old 06-01-2009, 11:27 PM

I'd much rather have winwood's soundstage from About Time than this

clapton is a bore in my book
post #5 of 30 Old 06-02-2009, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Amazon shows it in stock, released today:

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Madison-Square-Garden-Blu-ray/dp/B00278U1W0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1243944770&sr=8-4

$25.99, a little pricey for a concert disc IMO. I think I will rent it first.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #6 of 30 Old 06-02-2009, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I should have my copy tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #7 of 30 Old 06-02-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I should have my copy tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

larry

let us know how it is [IMG]http://www.entertainment-place.info/smile/img/2464/*************************[/IMG]
post #8 of 30 Old 06-02-2009, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Note:

On the Linkin Park disc by Warner it had similar vague audio specs on the box. It turned out to be DTS-HD MA and LPCM stereo.

Michael

Collection:
|
post #9 of 30 Old 06-03-2009, 07:28 AM

I got my copy yesterday and it contains the compressed DTS audio mix (48Khz, 1.5 Mbps) which I think is same as the DVD. My main reason for waiting and buying the bluray was the superior HD sound tracks (DTS-HD MA sounds great!) and so I'm very disappointed. How can Warner not offer basic stuff like uncompressed audio is beyond me?

The DTS sound track itself is mastered very loud!! Compared to recent Jeff Beck bluray, the sound on this one is terrible.
post #10 of 30 Old 06-03-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroads69 View Post

I got my copy yesterday and it contains the compressed DTS audio mix (48Khz, 1.5 Mbps) which I think is same as the DVD. My main reason for waiting and buying the bluray was the superior HD sound tracks (DTS-HD MA sounds great!) and so I'm very disappointed. How can Warner not offer basic stuff like uncompressed audio is beyond me?

The DTS sound track itself is mastered very loud!! Compared to recent Jeff Beck bluray, the sound on this one is terrible.

Unreal With one post, this went from must buy to won't buy. How dissapointing
post #11 of 30 Old 06-03-2009, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
How is the PCM stereo track...?

post #12 of 30 Old 06-03-2009, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:

I have a LOT of trouble with this assessment.
1st, I doubt the DVD has DTS at 1.5M. 768K - MAYBE.
2nd, there's nothing wrong with 1.5M DTS. I suggest you are disappointed that it doesn't have DTS-MA and aren't really listening.

I've certainly never heard a live rock concert on DVD with better audio quality. Could it be better? Sure, what couldn't. It's one of the best live recordings of it's type I've heard. Yes, the level is high, is that a problem?

Quote:
How is the PCM stereo track...?

Very good, but it lacks the punch that the LFE channel provides in the surround mix. Doing A-B comparison, I choose the DTS but apart from bass they are very similar. The PCM has a slightly lower level that makes direct comparison difficult.

Edit: And FWIW, the PQ is a huge step up from DVD.
post #13 of 30 Old 06-03-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post

I saw both acts (separately) last summer. I will be buying as well.[IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG]

I saw one last year & this will probably be worth the purchase regardless
post #14 of 30 Old 06-04-2009, 03:37 AM

I watched a few songs last night. Compared to the most recent 2 BD concerts I purchased, Jeff Beck and Return to Forever, this disc is a notch below in terms of "technical" things. The other two BDs appear to be done by the same production company and not the same one that did this disc. This contents for this disc were shot on film, not video like the first two. PQ is very good. The audio was not quite as good and most likely has nothing to do with the absence of hi-rez audio. The 48kz PCM track sounded basically the same as the DTS surround track. Compared to the first two this disc lacked dynamic range and, like somebody else mentioned, it seemed to be recorded somewhat "hotter". It seems more attention was paid to the recording of the audio in the first two discs. That being said it is still a very good disc and the performances are excellent (from what I saw). I also wasn't real happy how they interposed commentary in between some songs. No big deal but I'd rather have them keep the flow of the performance going.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #15 of 30 Old 06-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I watched a few songs last night. Compared to the most recent 2 BD concerts I purchased, Jeff Beck and Return to Forever, this disc is a notch below in terms of "technical" things. The other two BDs appear to be done by the same production company and not the same one that did this disc. This contents for this disc were shot on film, not video like the first two. PQ is very good. The audio was not quite as good and most likely has nothing to do with the absence of hi-rez audio. The 48kz PCM track sounded basically the same as the DTS surround track. Compared to the first two this disc lacked dynamic range and, like somebody else mentioned, it seemed to be recorded somewhat "hotter". It seems more attention was paid to the recording of the audio in the first two discs. That being said it is still a very good disc and the performances are excellent (from what I saw). I also wasn't real happy how they interposed commentary in between some songs. No big deal but I'd rather have them keep the flow of the performance going.

larry

Deal breaker for me.....I cannot stand it when they break the flow of the concert with commentary and rambling thoughts
post #16 of 30 Old 06-04-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

larry

I got the feeling several times that the recording gear was less than perfect, maybe due to the fact that this was a blazingly loud performance with abundant distortion, and not the best room. However the softer acoustic tunes were surprisingly clear and precise. So my take is that this recording was done with performance-rated gear, not recording-rated gear. I really doubt that a m-ch lossless track would have added anything over the 1.5M DTS. Still MUCH better than the average DVD audio.
post #17 of 30 Old 06-04-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I got the feeling several times that the recording gear was less than perfect, maybe due to the fact that this was a blazingly loud performance with abundant distortion, and not the best room. However the softer acoustic tunes were surprisingly clear and precise. So my take is that this recording was done with performance-rated gear, not recording-rated gear. I really doubt that a m-ch lossless track would have added anything over the 1.5M DTS. Still MUCH better than the average DVD audio.

I didn't get to the acoustic part yet, but yes, they may have just recorded off of the console which wouldn't be the way to get the best recording. It would be interesting to know how they recorded the other two BDs I mentioned where AQ is excellent.

larry

post #18 of 30 Old 06-04-2009, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

My god,this BD just arrived and when I've read your opinion then I don't want to watch as I planed.
post #19 of 30 Old 06-05-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey1 View Post

Deal breaker for me.....I cannot stand it when they break the flow of the concert with commentary and rambling thoughts

Same here. Mine is unopened and I'm returning it. I'll be content with the CD.
post #20 of 30 Old 06-05-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey1 View Post

I agree its bit annoying (especially coz the comments are part of the bonus interview and so I don't understand the need for them during the concert) but its definetly not as bad as some of the Paul Mccartney discs. The comments are very short and appear at the beginning of less than half of the songs. Its senseless but shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I've watched the concert few times now and gotten past the sub-par audio track. The performances are great and Eric is in inspiring form. For me, the only big advantage for the bluray is that everything is available on a single disc. If thats not a concern for you, the DVD should serve just fine.

Being the Clapton fan that I am, I await his next bluray performance coming on June 30 (http://www.amazon.com/John-Mayall-Bl...4214364&sr=8-1). I own this on DVD and its an evening of some great blues with Mayall's band, Mick Taylor and Eric Clapton. Coming from Eagle Rock, I expect nothing short of superb DTS-HD MA track and nice HD transfer.
post #21 of 30 Old 06-05-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Yes, the level is high, is that a problem?

Maybe. I wonder if the so called "loudness wars" are affecting the way audio is mastered on home video releases. If its lacking in dynamics, it may be that digital compression was used.
post #22 of 30 Old 06-05-2009, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentalbert View Post

Maybe. I wonder if the so called "loudness wars" are affecting the way audio is mastered on home video releases. If its lacking in dynamics, it may be that digital compression was used.

It's not lacking in dynamics, it's just a loud concert. There are a number of very soft passages with excellent range and detail.
post #23 of 30 Old 06-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I agree its bit annoying (especially coz the comments are part of the bonus interview and so I don't understand the need for them during the concert) but its definetly not as bad as some of the Paul Mccartney discs. The comments are very short and appear at the beginning of less than half of the songs. Its senseless but shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I've watched the concert few times now and gotten past the sub-par audio track. The performances are great and Eric is in inspiring form. For me, the only big advantage for the bluray is that everything is available on a single disc. If thats not a concern for you, the DVD should serve just fine.

Being the Clapton fan that I am, I await his next bluray performance coming on June 30 (http://www.amazon.com/John-Mayall-Bl...4214364&sr=8-1). I own this on DVD and its an evening of some great blues with Mayall's band, Mick Taylor and Eric Clapton. Coming from Eagle Rock, I expect nothing short of superb DTS-HD MA track and nice HD transfer.

I saw this concert on my local PBS HD channel and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Clapton was channeling Hendrix in their tribute set to him, and just watching and listening to Winwood and Clapton play together was amazing.

Granted the AQ was not stellar, but I put my avr into the "Roxy Hall" surround field mode, and was quite satisfied with the experience. I'm putting this on my list to buy.

Erik
post #24 of 30 Old 06-09-2009, 10:49 AM

I compared the way this Bluray sounds compared to the Stevie Wonder Blueray, and IMHO, this is one of the worst sounding Blueray concerts that I own. The DTS 5.1 audio has no life to it. The Cream Reunion DVD sounds better than this Bluray. I guess that my biggest gripe is that there is no HighRes audio. Sorry, but there is no excuse for that. Nothing like paying $35.00 for DVD audio. Plus, it is really difficult to understand Winwood when he is singing. Just plan bad audio all around.

OPPO bdp95; Aragon Stage One pre/pro; Aye V5xe main amp; Acurus 125x5 surround amp; Marantz VP 12s1 projector; Canare cables;Custom speakers designed by Dennis Murphy (MBOW1/3-3-way speaker and MBOW1-2 way speaker)
post #25 of 30 Old 06-12-2009, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I finally watched my copy last night and since I started this thread I wanted to add my thoughts. I should say up front I am a huge Clapton fan so my assessment is not even remotely objective.

Overall I was very pleased with the disc. The PQ was not the quality of "The Police-Certifiable", but very good nonetheless. The set list was great with a wonderful mix of Clapton, Winwood, Blind Faith, Cream, and Traffic etc tunes. It felt to me like Clapton and Winwood were truly enjoying themselves and playing together again.

As for the concerns raised by others in this thread, I agree with most, but as a Clapton fan they ended up not being a big deal to me. I would have loved lossless sound, but thought the DTS track was very good. I agree it was mixed "hotter", but I didn't feel like it was muddy and I could hear the Clapton guitar licks and Winwood piano chops just fine. The interruptions for interview clips were a bit annoying, however, for any one holding off buying this because of that, you should know there are 20 songs and I counted 7 interruptions, so certainly not between every song. Also, they are short interruptions, usually done in the context of moving between songs, and parts are more voice over than anything else. Certainly I would have preferred they left them out, especially since, as some one mentioned earlier, they are all in the Extras, but for me it never really took me out of the moment.

If you are a Clapton and/or Winwood fan, but holding off because of some of the negative comments here, I strongly suggest you rent this because I think most will find it is a really strong disc and a pleasure to have in your collection. As Dennis Miller used to say, of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

"There's gotta be some way to hook it up, it's the freakin' future" - Eric Cartman
post #26 of 30 Old 06-12-2009, 10:31 AM

I agree with Gojhawks, don't let the lake of losless audio prevent you from buying this disc. You just won't be able to hear The Master sound his best.

I have been a huge Eric Clapton fan since he was with the Yardbirds in the early 1960's. I remember going to the Yardbirds' first US concert in Chicago. I was really bummed because Eric was no longer with the group. Jeff Beck was playing lead and, low and behold, Jimmy Page was playing bass!!

I have seen Eric every time he plays in Chicago. I saw Eric at Alpine Valley in Wisconson the night that Stevie Ray was killed in a helecopter crash. My best experience was seeing him play with Cream in a little teen dance club called The Cellar in Arlington Heights, Illinois. The Cellar only held about 250 kids, there were no seats (everyone stood), and the stage was about three feet above the main floor. I was about 10 feet from Eric the whole night. At the end of the show I got to shake his hand. I haven't washed it since

John

OPPO bdp95; Aragon Stage One pre/pro; Aye V5xe main amp; Acurus 125x5 surround amp; Marantz VP 12s1 projector; Canare cables;Custom speakers designed by Dennis Murphy (MBOW1/3-3-way speaker and MBOW1-2 way speaker)
post #27 of 30 Old 06-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
First of all I hope I never meet JohnnyK and have to shake your hand...
I'm a huge Clapton fan too, and also very picky with Audio and Video quality, and have to say this blu ray is excellent quality on both fronts...I was dissapointed when I heard there was no lossless codec, but after listening, I didn't care...If you are a Clapton fan you have to buy this, it has some of the best playing he has done in years...Voodoo Child is worth buying the disc alone.....Just my 2cents...
Rick

RickP.
post #28 of 30 Old 06-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPas View Post

First of all I hope I never meet JohnnyK and have to shake your hand...
I'm a huge Clapton fan too, and also very picky with Audio and Video quality, and have to say this blu ray is excellent quality on both fronts...I was dissapointed when I heard there was no lossless codec, but after listening, I didn't care...If you are a Clapton fan you have to buy this, it has some of the best playing he has done in years...Voodoo Child is worth buying the disc alone.....Just my 2cents...
Rick

Dear Mr Fantasy was amazing...Clapton playing Traffic....I got choked up a bit listening to that...
post #29 of 30 Old 06-19-2009, 10:47 AM

Attached is a picture of Cream Playing at The Cellar. I took the picture with a Kodak Instamatic, so the quailty is not too good.

Check out the ciggie in Ginger's mouth. I think that Eric is playing a Gibson Firebird. There was one or two rows of kids in front of me when I took the picture. You can get some idea of how close I was to the stage.I think that Eric had enjoyed a large amount of "mother nature" before the show. He forgot the words to a lot of songs.

When the roadies were setting up Ginger's drums, they nailed the bass drums to the stage with 16p nails I do recall that the band did NOT play real loud.

John
LL

post #30 of 30 Old 10-25-2009, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

[US]Eric Clapton And Steve Winwood: Live From Madison Square Garden

Code:
                                                                                                                Total   Video                                             
Title                                                           Codec   Length  Movie Size      Disc Size       Bitrate Bitrate Main Audio Track                          Secondary Audio Track
-----                                                           ------  ------- --------------  --------------  ------- ------- ------------------                        ---------------------
00001.MPLS                                                      AVC     2:19:06 31,565,420,544  43,819,221,252  30.26   24.89   LPCM 2.0 2304Kbps (48kHz/24-bit)          DTS 5.1 1509Kbps (48kHz/24-bit)
Code:
DISC INFO:

Disc Title:     Eric Clapton and Steve Winw#ACBB
Disc Size:      43,819,221,252 bytes
Protection:     AACS
BD-Java:        Yes
BDInfo:         0.5.3

PLAYLIST REPORT:

Name:                   00001.MPLS
Length:                 2:19:06 (h:m:s)
Size:                   31,565,420,544 bytes
Total Bitrate:          30.26 Mbps

VIDEO:

Codec                   Bitrate             Description     
-----                   -------             -----------     
MPEG-4 AVC Video        24889 kbps          1080p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / High Profile 4.1

AUDIO:

Codec                           Language        Bitrate         Description     
-----                           --------        -------         -----------     
LPCM Audio                      English         2304 kbps       2.0 / 48 kHz / 2304 kbps / 24-bit
DTS Audio                       English         1509 kbps       5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit

FILES:

Name            Time In         Length          Size            Total Bitrate   
----            -------         ------          ----            -------------   
00001.M2TS      0:00:00.000     2:19:06.129     31,565,420,544  30,256          

CHAPTERS:

Number          Time In         Length          Avg Video Rate  Max 1-Sec Rate  Max 1-Sec Time  Max 5-Sec Rate  Max 5-Sec Time  Max 10Sec Rate  Max 10Sec Time  Avg Frame Size  Max Frame Size  Max Frame Time  
------          -------         ------          --------------  --------------  --------------  --------------  --------------  --------------  --------------  --------------  --------------  --------------  
1               0:00:00.000     0:02:12.006     23,201 kbps     33,874 kbps     00:01:35.261    30,712 kbps     00:01:09.319    30,207 kbps     00:00:24.649    120,922 bytes   378,174 bytes   00:01:14.324    
2               0:02:12.006     0:08:26.964     24,809 kbps     34,868 kbps     00:09:23.563    28,129 kbps     00:09:36.158    27,373 kbps     00:09:36.284    129,342 bytes   392,004 bytes   00:03:44.766    
3               0:10:38.971     0:05:47.013     25,412 kbps     32,997 kbps     00:12:32.752    28,533 kbps     00:11:16.384    27,414 kbps     00:14:47.052    132,489 bytes   313,157 bytes   00:14:10.432    
4               0:16:25.984     0:03:54.025     25,659 kbps     39,328 kbps     00:17:45.856    28,519 kbps     00:17:54.364    27,253 kbps     00:19:18.490    133,773 bytes   345,721 bytes   00:17:45.898    
5               0:20:20.010     0:04:49.080     25,181 kbps     32,840 kbps     00:24:57.746    27,125 kbps     00:21:01.301    26,549 kbps     00:20:56.338    131,282 bytes   320,016 bytes   00:24:34.556    
6               0:25:09.090     0:05:35.168     25,131 kbps     32,575 kbps     00:25:55.262    27,928 kbps     00:25:33.907    26,842 kbps     00:25:25.649    131,024 bytes   277,342 bytes   00:30:39.963    
7               0:30:44.259     0:04:16.297     25,360 kbps     36,488 kbps     00:31:23.715    27,396 kbps     00:31:19.168    26,764 kbps     00:31:05.572    132,213 bytes   325,945 bytes   00:31:23.756    
8               0:35:00.556     0:05:57.190     25,438 kbps     34,142 kbps     00:38:04.156    27,893 kbps     00:35:03.601    27,372 kbps     00:35:02.725    132,622 bytes   306,770 bytes   00:38:04.282    
9               0:40:57.746     0:08:15.369     24,968 kbps     31,926 kbps     00:43:40.117    27,690 kbps     00:41:13.095    26,842 kbps     00:42:32.508    130,170 bytes   284,005 bytes   00:48:35.954    
10              0:49:13.116     0:06:09.702     24,953 kbps     38,261 kbps     00:49:36.807    27,231 kbps     00:55:05.844    27,140 kbps     00:55:00.839    130,094 bytes   315,525 bytes   00:49:37.015    
11              0:55:22.819     0:06:57.416     24,971 kbps     34,147 kbps     00:56:55.453    27,696 kbps     00:56:55.286    26,505 kbps     00:57:19.978    130,189 bytes   308,993 bytes   00:59:09.337    
12              1:02:20.236     0:04:27.141     24,566 kbps     30,913 kbps     01:02:29.579    26,957 kbps     01:06:36.575    26,502 kbps     01:06:33.280    128,076 bytes   288,471 bytes   01:06:12.051    
13              1:06:47.378     0:04:47.912     25,011 kbps     32,265 kbps     01:11:31.870    26,737 kbps     01:06:48.045    26,230 kbps     01:10:34.897    130,394 bytes   289,229 bytes   01:11:26.240    
14              1:11:35.291     0:07:10.430     25,110 kbps     32,239 kbps     01:17:36.443    28,383 kbps     01:17:35.901    26,906 kbps     01:17:36.151    130,912 bytes   296,244 bytes   01:13:04.213    
15              1:18:45.721     0:04:43.241     24,885 kbps     30,513 kbps     01:23:11.111    28,412 kbps     01:23:10.276    26,614 kbps     01:20:59.187    129,738 bytes   254,193 bytes   01:19:21.089    
16              1:23:28.962     0:05:20.194     26,074 kbps     32,261 kbps     01:26:16.462    28,207 kbps     01:26:28.308    27,785 kbps     01:24:52.087    135,939 bytes   262,430 bytes   01:26:30.768    
17              1:28:49.157     0:06:58.209     25,330 kbps     32,717 kbps     01:31:58.721    27,483 kbps     01:28:56.247    26,677 kbps     01:31:58.304    132,061 bytes   278,336 bytes   01:35:10.287    
18              1:35:47.366     0:17:37.639     25,241 kbps     33,379 kbps     01:42:22.177    28,350 kbps     01:42:22.177    27,244 kbps     01:42:09.414    131,597 bytes   354,597 bytes   01:42:14.002    
19              1:53:25.006     0:06:02.445     25,364 kbps     40,752 kbps     01:54:43.751    30,665 kbps     01:54:43.668    27,873 kbps     01:54:39.956    132,235 bytes   294,031 bytes   01:54:43.918    
20              1:59:27.451     0:09:11.175     25,379 kbps     33,336 kbps     02:06:52.646    29,418 kbps     02:06:55.524    27,909 kbps     02:06:52.646    132,314 bytes   318,317 bytes   02:01:42.837    
21              2:08:38.627     0:10:27.501     21,549 kbps     33,232 kbps     02:14:27.893    29,973 kbps     02:15:23.824    29,387 kbps     02:15:23.824    112,354 bytes   330,867 bytes   02:14:52.667    

STREAM DIAGNOSTICS:

File            PID             Type            Codec           Language                Seconds                 Bitrate                 Bytes           Packets         
----            ---             ----            -----           --------                --------------          --------------          -------------   -----           
00001.M2TS      4113 (0x1011)   0x1B            AVC                                     8346.004                24,890                  25,966,306,046  141,238,662     
00001.M2TS      4352 (0x1100)   0x80            LPCM            eng (English)           8346.004                2,315                   2,415,621,684   13,382,967      
00001.M2TS      4353 (0x1101)   0x82            DTS             eng (English)           8346.004                1,512                   1,577,731,932   9,409,932

Michael

Collection:
|
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page