Star Trek: The Original Motion Picture Collection comparison *PIX* + reviews - Page 46 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
post #1351 of 1353 Unread Today, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
I was pleasantly surprised by ST:III. Sure the grain is gone but overall looks quite nice. I won't watch it every day but I enjoyed the experience on my big screen all properly calibrated.

ST:IV on the other hand isn't even worth watching. It just looks like an old DVD.
Agreed. III has its problems (grain turns on/off/on/off during the snowstorm on the Genesis planet because the processing is freaking out at having to deal with the snow and the grain) but it's still watchable, same goes for V. But IV and VI are shockingly bad, and I'll never watch those Blu-rays again, not while I've got the DVDs.

Fingers crossed Paramount are planning something special for the 50th Aniversary. A UHD BD boxset with brand new 4K transfers for all (II aside, that's already been done, although they could give the colour timing another look) would be ****ing amazing. I'd pay whatever they wanted for a set like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1353 Unread Today, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 49
There will be a 4K remaster in the next five years. There's no getting around that. Whether or not it will be what we want, is another question all together. I personally, want to see a new TMP Director's Cut done in 4K, with CGI by ILM. I liked the work done by the Foundation Imaging guys, but it just wouldn't hold up in HD because the models don't have realistic texturing like the ILM ships. I'll take 4K re-masters of 2/3/4/6 expanded cuts (with the really dodgy CGI passing shot of the Enterprise in 6 from the end ship battle re-done by ILM) and a 4K Director's Edition of 5, with all the model VFX shots replaced with ILM CGI. All the TNG films could use 4K remastering and replacement of the CGI effects ala TNG on Blu-Ray since only the last of them had HD-resolution CGI to begin with.
post #1353 of 1353 Unread Today, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Woah, nellie. I want new transfers as much as the next guy, but don't be touching the original VFX! They didn't redo TNG because it didn't hold up in HD, they redid it because it didn't exist in HD at all. While that shot of the 1701-A in VI has always looked a bit hinky, I'd rather keep it 'as is' instead of opening up a Lucas-style pandora's box (Meyer has ****ed with that movie enough as it is) and to be honest I can't recall a single duff CG spaceship shot in the TNG movies, ILM's work was always stellar, pun intended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Star Trek Original Motion Picture Collection Star Trek I Ii Iii Iv V Vi The Captains Summit Bonus Di

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page