Star Trek: The Original Motion Picture Collection comparison *PIX* + reviews - Page 46 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1351 of 1359 Old 01-31-2015, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
I was pleasantly surprised by ST:III. Sure the grain is gone but overall looks quite nice. I won't watch it every day but I enjoyed the experience on my big screen all properly calibrated.

ST:IV on the other hand isn't even worth watching. It just looks like an old DVD.
Agreed. III has its problems (grain turns on/off/on/off during the snowstorm on the Genesis planet because the processing is freaking out at having to deal with the snow and the grain) but it's still watchable, same goes for V. But IV and VI are shockingly bad, and I'll never watch those Blu-rays again, not while I've got the DVDs.

Fingers crossed Paramount are planning something special for the 50th Aniversary. A UHD BD boxset with brand new 4K transfers for all (II aside, that's already been done, although they could give the colour timing another look) would be ****ing amazing. I'd pay whatever they wanted for a set like that.
DavidHir likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1359 Old 01-31-2015, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 54
There will be a 4K remaster in the next five years. There's no getting around that. Whether or not it will be what we want, is another question all together. I personally, want to see a new TMP Director's Cut done in 4K, with CGI by ILM. I liked the work done by the Foundation Imaging guys, but it just wouldn't hold up in HD because the models don't have realistic texturing like the ILM ships. I'll take 4K re-masters of 2/3/4/6 expanded cuts (with the really dodgy CGI passing shot of the Enterprise in 6 from the end ship battle re-done by ILM) and a 4K Director's Edition of 5, with all the model VFX shots replaced with ILM CGI. All the TNG films could use 4K remastering and replacement of the CGI effects ala TNG on Blu-Ray since only the last of them had HD-resolution CGI to begin with.
post #1353 of 1359 Old 01-31-2015, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Woah, nellie. I want new transfers as much as the next guy, but don't be touching the original VFX! They didn't redo TNG because it didn't hold up in HD, they redid it because it didn't exist in HD at all. While that shot of the 1701-A in VI has always looked a bit hinky, I'd rather keep it 'as is' instead of opening up a Lucas-style pandora's box (Meyer has ****ed with that movie enough as it is) and to be honest I can't recall a single duff CG spaceship shot in the TNG movies, ILM's work was always stellar, pun intended.
AVfile, DavidHir and Osirus23 like this.
post #1354 of 1359 Old 02-01-2015, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
There will be a 4K remaster in the next five years. There's no getting around that. Whether or not it will be what we want, is another question all together. I personally, want to see a new TMP Director's Cut done in 4K, with CGI by ILM. I liked the work done by the Foundation Imaging guys, but it just wouldn't hold up in HD because the models don't have realistic texturing like the ILM ships. I'll take 4K re-masters of 2/3/4/6 expanded cuts (with the really dodgy CGI passing shot of the Enterprise in 6 from the end ship battle re-done by ILM) and a 4K Director's Edition of 5, with all the model VFX shots replaced with ILM CGI. All the TNG films could use 4K remastering and replacement of the CGI effects ala TNG on Blu-Ray since only the last of them had HD-resolution CGI to begin with.

What CG shot? The only CG ship in THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY is a few shots of the Excelsior when it gets hit by the Praxis shockwave, because it was much easier to composite a CG ship with a CG animation effect (textures taken from the studio model). The rest of it is all studio model shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Woah, nellie. I want new transfers as much as the next guy, but don't be touching the original VFX! They didn't redo TNG because it didn't hold up in HD, they redid it because it didn't exist in HD at all. While that shot of the 1701-A in VI has always looked a bit hinky, I'd rather keep it 'as is' instead of opening up a Lucas-style pandora's box (Meyer has ****ed with that movie enough as it is) and to be honest I can't recall a single duff CG spaceship shot in the TNG movies, ILM's work was always stellar, pun intended.

INSURRECTION and NEMESIS weren't ILM. The CG work of INSURRECTION is not up to par. Digital Domain's Enterprise-E going to warp in NEMESIS to me are the worst FX in that film: no stretching of the ship - breaking continuity with all of the Berman-era TREK...not to mention those *stupid* smoke trails. Was it the VFX supervisor or Baird who came up with that?!? If ILM had done it I find it unlikely John Knoll would have allowed it.

The VFX retouches I would want are:
HD VFX for the Director's Edition of TMP
Replacement of the stock footage from TMP used for THE WRATH OF KHAN
Digital recomposites of II-IV (nothing wrong with fixing transparencies and matte lines, clearly things everyone involved at the time would love to get rid of)
Complete replacement of all VFX in THE FINAL FRONTIER (when the TV TNG crew is doing better work in a tenth of the time you know Ferren & Associates were incompetent beyond belief).

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #1355 of 1359 Old 02-01-2015, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
with the really dodgy CGI passing shot of the Enterprise in 6 from the end ship battle re-done by ILM

Which shot?
post #1356 of 1359 Old 02-02-2015, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
INSURRECTION and NEMESIS weren't ILM. The CG work of INSURRECTION is not up to par. Digital Domain's Enterprise-E going to warp in NEMESIS to me are the worst FX in that film: no stretching of the ship - breaking continuity with all of the Berman-era TREK...not to mention those *stupid* smoke trails. Was it the VFX supervisor or Baird who came up with that?!? If ILM had done it I find it unlikely John Knoll would have allowed it.
It's probably all that DNR on the Insurrection Blu-ray that makes the VFX look so good to me
post #1357 of 1359 Old 02-02-2015, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator View Post
Which shot?

It's during the battle between Chang and Kirk, before Sulu arrives. It's a clear-as-day video-game quality CGI shot of the Enterprise - meant to replicate a pass of the studio model with battle damage - shown from Chang's POV on the bridge of his ship as he quotes Shakespeare's "The Merchant of Venice". From what I see in the battle, they didn't mess with the physical models to do battle damage - probably wasn't in the budget to do more model work - so that's why it was in there, to show that the ship had been damaged.
post #1358 of 1359 Old 02-02-2015, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
It's during the battle between Chang and Kirk, before Sulu arrives. It's a clear-as-day video-game quality CGI shot of the Enterprise - meant to replicate a pass of the studio model with battle damage - shown from Chang's POV on the bridge of his ship as he quotes Shakespeare's "The Merchant of Venice". From what I see in the battle, they didn't mess with the physical models to do battle damage - probably wasn't in the budget to do more model work - so that's why it was in there, to show that the ship had been damaged.

It's not a CG shot.

Matter of fact ILM called it their most difficult motion control shot of the film and were disappointed it was cut short in the final edit.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #1359 of 1359 Old Today, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
It's not a CG shot.

Matter of fact ILM called it their most difficult motion control shot of the film and were disappointed it was cut short in the final edit.
Yup, very little CGI in the TOS cast run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Star Trek Original Motion Picture Collection Star Trek I Ii Iii Iv V Vi The Captains Summit Bonus Di

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page