Ghostbusters - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 99 Old 05-15-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 93
More 1080P screenshots of the new 4K Blu-ray, if that is your thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(last update: July 30, 2014)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 05-16-2013, 12:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

More 1080P screenshots of the new 4K Blu-ray, if that is your thing.

I do too:

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #93 of 99 Old 05-16-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
More, Sony promises enhanced viewing on its own line of 4K TVs thanks to a proprietary upscaling algorithm that's designed to squeeze the most out of the "Mastered in 4K" line of Sony discs, above and beyond what any competitor's display can offer. Makes sense

Utter bunk. Figures that site is passing on that nonsense after all it works for monster cables. I get worried when a review writes how 'noise' has been removed.
post #94 of 99 Old 05-16-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I bought the new "4k" release and watched it this week. As I never bothered with the original blu-ray release, I can't compare firsthand the pros and cons between the two but imo, this new release looks really solid for what it is. The color looks pretty neutral to the film source if a bit too saturated, no obvious leaning towards the current color re-timing fads and film grain, not video noise. About the only thing I might mention is that blacks seem a bit crushed but for all I know that's due to the nebulous (depending on Sony's hype) limitations of a non-4k BR player and tv. Frankly, it more or less looks like any typical 1080p transfer of an 80's film done right.

One thing I do like, is the disc menu and film itself loads and plays very fast compared to most other BRs I have.
post #95 of 99 Old 05-17-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

Utter bunk. Figures that site is passing on that nonsense after all it works for monster cables. I get worried when a review writes how 'noise' has been removed.

I've heard the same information from Sony directly. It makes sense to me, using the exact same algorithm employed to downsample the 4K master to 1080p to scale it back up again, instead of the TV's multi-purpose scaling engine which is designed to deal with a variety of resolutions, frame rates and so on. Will there be a 'night and day' difference in quality between the two scaling processes? Probably not. But seeing as this is the AV Science Forum after all, I'm sure that someone will be able to discern the difference (if any).
post #96 of 99 Old 05-17-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Yeah makes as much sense as magic pixie dust, do not get the impression this is a new claim, 'special algorithms' has been marketed since the beginning of home video and the first thing you should do with these special features is turn them off.
post #97 of 99 Old 05-18-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 222
So 4K is downsampled to 1080p through the wonder of osmosis, is it? No. Scaling images correctly has always been at the heart of transferring movies to digital video, but, as the veteran visual effects producer Mr.D has said on here many times, some studios have simply cropped their 2K DI's for HD rather than scale them down because of the loss in quality that can result.

My point being that scaling is not an exact science; you only have to look at the aliasing on something like MGM's brand new Great Escape Blu-ray to know that this issue is an ongoing concern, so surely it's a good thing that Sony are providing the exact same scaling engine that they used to downsample their movies to their 4KTV customers? It will make for the most transparent possible method of upscaling these faux-K Blu-rays to 4K, even if there is only a tiny improvement (if any, like I said above, because no-one yet knows if it'll make any appreciable difference).

Is it the greatest thing ever? Of course it bloody well isn't. Is it mostly marketing hoopla? You betcha, because it's proprietary to Sony which means that everyone's else's Blu-rays that've been mastered from 4K are **** out of luck (not to mention Sony's own pre-existing Blu-rays mastered from 4K sources which don't carry the metadata needed to trigger the specific scaler!). And, as and when 4K software finally comes to market, this feature will become a mere footnote - BUT until it's proved to be 100% pure pixie dust I will continue to be intrigued by the possibilities.
post #98 of 99 Old 09-19-2014, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post
I bought the new "4k" release and watched it this week. As I never bothered with the original blu-ray release, I can't compare firsthand the pros and cons between the two but imo, this new release looks really solid for what it is. The color looks pretty neutral to the film source if a bit too saturated, no obvious leaning towards the current color re-timing fads and film grain, not video noise. About the only thing I might mention is that blacks seem a bit crushed but for all I know that's due to the nebulous (depending on Sony's hype) limitations of a non-4k BR player and tv. Frankly, it more or less looks like any typical 1080p transfer of an 80's film done right.

One thing I do like, is the disc menu and film itself loads and plays very fast compared to most other BRs I have.
How can you tell what's film grain and what's noise? The image looks very noisy to me... reminds me of the Jurrasic Park bluray... I wasn't happy the the image quality, but maybe it's how my display shows it. I just tested the first 15 min, I then popped in the never ending story because I recently purchased that as well... I thought the never ending story looked way better... no noise, loads more contrast.
post #99 of 99 Old 09-20-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
How can you tell what's film grain and what's noise?
Grain has a different feel to it. I saw this on the big screen a few weeks ago, and yes, the film is very grainy. I'm glad they didn't go back and try to scrub it out, it would have lost too much.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page