Ghostbusters - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 97 Old 06-16-2009, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Bought and watched the movie today. Very grainy in some scenes (not a problem), but I can see where Harry Knowles got the impression the grain had been sharpened; it really seems excessive in a handful of scenes. Detail seems like a big boost over the DVD, and my first impression is to give it a thumbs up. I'll be watching it again soon and probably revise this if I come across any major issues. Other thoughts?

Edit:

Watched again today, just wanted to reiterate some of my earlier comments: definitely an improvement over the DVD, and the grain doesn't appear to have been tampered with at all. See Xylon's Ghostbusters Comparison thread for more details on image quality as compared to prior DVD releases. And to clarify my comment regarding grain, I can count only two times I would consider it remotely "excessive". And excessive is probably the wrong word. :P

For those who missed it, be sure to use this coupon (pdf) that will get you $5 off. Expires July 31st, 2009.

Fight mediocrity: Insist on BD50 discs for all movies longer than 100 minutes, optimized video encodes that fully utilize the available space, lossless audio track, and new masters for catalog titles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 Old 06-16-2009, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Most likely the artificially cranked up contrast is exaggerating the grain.
post #3 of 97 Old 06-16-2009, 06:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Just watched it. Grain or not it is still light years better than my DVD version. I also noticed some details I never seen before. Especially with Slimer.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #4 of 97 Old 06-16-2009, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I thought it looked very good and commend Sony for better than average catalog titles compared to the slew of horrid looking catalog titles hat have come out since May.
post #5 of 97 Old 06-16-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

Bingo.
post #6 of 97 Old 06-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

One word of warning for PS3 users with old firmware. The disc will force an update to version 2.60 if you want to watch it. The update is on the disc itself. While not a problem for me personally, we do know that some updates have caused issues (dissappearing side bars in PINOCCHIO with "Disney View" and problems with import discs).

A thought on the grain: think of the Harryhausen movies on BD. Optical composites generate a lot of grain. I wonder if the movie is purposely grainey so that the "normal" photography won't be out of place with composited special effects. I'm just guessing. I have no special knowledge of the artistic choices involved. But I have to assume that there could be rather jarring quality differences between the effects shots and non-effects shots if this movie wasn't grainy. The alternative might have been to DNR the effects shots to smooth them to match the rest of the film...and we all know how popular that would have been . The grain may be the lesser evil in order to give the movie a consistent look.

I don't have a previous home video version with which to compare to the BD. I did see the movie in the theaters but I won't pretend I remember what it looked like. I will say it looked good. Not great...not something I would use to impress my friends with but I think it looks fine within the limitations of a movie packed with a lot of low tech opticals.
post #7 of 97 Old 06-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

One word of warning for PS3 users with old firmware. The disc will force an update to version 2.60 if you want to watch it.

Yes, what a lovely surprise. Delayed my viewing by 35 minutes. My PS3 said version 2.76
post #8 of 97 Old 06-16-2009, 08:43 PM

Bought and watched Ghostbusters this evening. Thought it looked and sounded wonderful. The grain was not in the least troublesome. It's (the grain) part of the film after all. Apparently the cinematographer Laszlo Kovacs approved the transfer or had input in the transfer. Thoroughly enjoyed this very funny movie (again).

-Mike
post #9 of 97 Old 06-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZiggyZ View Post

My PS3 said version 2.76

Are you hooked up to the 'net? I see 2.76 is the latest update and was released on May 14. My machine definitely updated to version 2.60 (I just double checked) from the disc. That update dates to January 21. My PS3 is not connected to the net.

It's the first time a disc has forced an update on my machine. Well, it doesn't "force" it but if you don't accept it, the disc won't play. It's not a BIG problem but it sent me downstairs, scrambling to find the game controller to make the necessary menu selections.
post #10 of 97 Old 06-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I'm connected with DSL which is probably why updates take so long (patiently waiting for FiOS).
post #11 of 97 Old 06-16-2009, 09:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

i think 2.76 screws up the AUS version of "The Descent" if anyone cares. I just got it tonight and don't want to HAVE to upgrade my damn PS3 if I don't want to. Annoying...
post #12 of 97 Old 06-16-2009, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I'm watching it right now and am very happy with the PQ so far. It's not a reference title or anything but as has been said it is by far the bet it's looked. I'm a little underwhelmed with the audio track so far but I have about 2/3 left so I'll reserve final judgment.

On a side note the game looks kinda fun too!

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #13 of 97 Old 06-16-2009, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Just finished this movie--never owned it on VHS or DVD, and this was probably the first time I had seen it in twenty years or so. Didn't really blow me away in terms of sound or picture, but it was fun to see it again and it gave me a lot of 1980's flashbacks.

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #14 of 97 Old 06-17-2009, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZiggyZ View Post

Yes, what a lovely surprise. Delayed my viewing by 35 minutes. My PS3 said version 2.76

If its an issue with the PS3, I can hardly wait to see what it does to other players.
J
post #15 of 97 Old 06-17-2009, 11:35 AM

I also had to upgrade my PS3 in order to play the disc. Since I didn't know the firmware was included on the disc, I took it out and used the website download. This moved me to fw 2.76. No problems so far, knock on wood. Streaming still works, Divx playback was not affected and the fan seems more quiet! ...well, it was running on 1st speed until 42 minutes into the film. Its now kicked into 2nd speed. Oh well, you can't win them all.
post #16 of 97 Old 06-17-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Some thoughts on Ghostbusters that I made for the PQ tier thread.

recommendation: Tier 2.75

A comedy from 1984, this movie saw its premiere on Blu-ray just yesterday. The 105-minute film is encoded in AVC on a BD-50. The BDInfo scan reveals an average video bitrate of 23.51 Mbps for the main feature. Sony Pictures handles their own encoding in-house and the compression here is exemplary work, appearing transparent to the original source. Atypically, the resulting video bitrates vary little from the average video bitrate-figure, mostly hovering in the 24 Mbps range for the entire main feature. The heavy grain structure is easily reproduced without any macroblocking or questionable moments. Even the special effect shots produce no artifacting on close inspection.

While many catalog titles are thrown out on Blu-ray without much thought and care given to the master itself, I can report this is not the case on Ghostbusters. There is virtually no print damage to the image itself. I could count on one hand the rare appearances of stray specks and dirt. It really is a glorious film transfer that appears in all respects faithful to the original film source. Grain is definitely present and moves like it should in the picture. To my eyes there looks to be no use of digital noise reduction to remove grain and other high-frequency information. If it was used in moderation, I wish other studios would emulate what Sony has done on this transfer. It looks entirely faithful to a movie shot on film from the 1980's. That might displease some but it was the correct decision to leave the grain in the picture.

I do not believe any sharpening in post-production has been applied to this transfer. What some may characterize as small halos in amplitude might be in a few of the optical composite shots, but that looks to be a fundamental part of the picture that was a remnant of the techniques used to make those shots. Close inspection of the final scenes on top of the building possibly exhibits this tiny and hardly noticeable effect at standard viewing distances.

The picture is hard to pin down with the standard bromides for picture quality. Some scenes are soft in appearance due to the original photography. Black levels are average at best with a few scenes exhibiting wavy grain in the darkest moments that might be considered sub-par in quality. Viewers who prefer a hot, video look to their high-definition without visible grain should be warned. Grain is omnipresent, particularly early in the movie, which might distract some viewers. Resolution is strong though and superior to other films of similar vintage on Blu-ray such as Amadeus. It is easy to clearly see the somewhat rough skin of Bill Murray's face. The contrast looks improved over the prior dvd editions and is decent throughout the movie. Flesh tones look very good and appropriate. Colors in general are nicely balanced with even saturation. They do not pop off the screen like a Pixar movie, but look reasonably strong given the toned-down color scheme of the movie.

Ghostbusters is my second favorite comedy of all-time (coincidentally my favorite comedy of all-time also happened to be released yesterday) and I always have a little trepidation when a beloved catalog title is released on Blu-ray due to how other favorites have been handled in the past. After seeing this stunning transfer that appears completely faithful to the original film, my worries have been laid to rest for this movie. Sony has done a remarkable job on this BD and one that other studios should emulate on catalog titles. This disc is no eye candy but a solid looking release that merits an immediate purchase for fans. I have full confidence in stating we will never see a better looking Ghostbusters ever...on this format anyway. My final recommendation is for placement in tier 2.75.

Watching on a 60 Pioneer Kuro plasma at 1080p/24 fed by a PS3 (firmware 2.76) at a viewing distance of six feet.
post #17 of 97 Old 06-18-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought the Dolby TrueHD sound on the BD was terrible. Dialogue that needed to be pushed up real high just to hear it, and then BAM! incredibly loud music and sound effects. One of the worst disparities I've heard on a "lossless" track.
post #18 of 97 Old 06-18-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
might it need an update for the S350?

"How long were you in Mexico?"
" uh...a week, no, no, a day..."
"Well, which is it a week or a day?
"uh...a weekday?"
post #19 of 97 Old 06-18-2009, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

This seems likely. The only time I saw grain which seemed excessive was during the opening sequence with Venkman at the university performing tests on two human volunteers. But I'd much rather have this than the opposite (wax museum figures). Plus I suspect the grain looks fine on a 1080p projector (in fact, if anyone here has one, I'd love to hear what you thought of this title).

Fight mediocrity: Insist on BD50 discs for all movies longer than 100 minutes, optimized video encodes that fully utilize the available space, lossless audio track, and new masters for catalog titles!
post #20 of 97 Old 06-18-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

A thought on the grain: think of the Harryhausen movies on BD. Optical composites generate a lot of grain. I wonder if the movie is purposely grainey so that the "normal" photography won't be out of place with composited special effects. I'm just guessing. I have no special knowledge of the artistic choices involved. But I have to assume that there could be rather jarring quality differences between the effects shots and non-effects shots if this movie wasn't grainy. The alternative might have been to DNR the effects shots to smooth them to match the rest of the film...and we all know how popular that would have been [IMG]http://www.entertainment-place.info/smile/img/2658/*************************[/IMG]. The grain may be the lesser evil in order to give the movie a consistent look.

I don't have a previous home video version with which to compare to the BD. I did see the movie in the theaters but I won't pretend I remember what it looked like. I will say it looked good. Not great...not something I would use to impress my friends with but I think it looks fine within the limitations of a movie packed with a lot of low tech opticals.

I agree completely [IMG]http://www.entertainment-place.info/smile/img/2659/*************************[/IMG]
post #21 of 97 Old 06-20-2009, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Can't load on 1400.
Loads on a 1500 but some text on menus missing.

Anyone else w/ this problem? With other machines?
post #22 of 97 Old 06-20-2009, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
my S350 takes a while to load at the Java loading screen. Haven't tried it on my PS3 yet

"How long were you in Mexico?"
" uh...a week, no, no, a day..."
"Well, which is it a week or a day?
"uh...a weekday?"
post #23 of 97 Old 06-23-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This BD was as good as it should be for the picture quality for this age.
post #24 of 97 Old 06-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Was it me or was the audio mix real loud with respect to the ambient sounds relative to the dialogue? I kept raising and lowering the volume....
post #25 of 97 Old 06-23-2009, 10:40 PM

Yeah, the audio could've used some more work.
post #26 of 97 Old 06-25-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianlove41 View Post

might it need an update for the S350?

The disc paused for awhile at the loading screen, but finally did load and play without any issues. No firmware update was required -- I am running the latest firmware version.
post #27 of 97 Old 06-25-2009, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post

The disc paused for awhile at the loading screen, but finally did load and play without any issues. No firmware update was required -- I am running the latest firmware version.

Plug a 1G USB memory stik into the back of your 350 and you will notice faster Java loading times. In fact Starship Troopers wouldn't load at all until I did this.
post #28 of 97 Old 06-25-2009, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post

If its an issue with the PS3, I can hardly wait to see what it does to other players.
J

Played it on 06/16 (launch day) on my Panasonic DMP-BD35 (FW v1.9) and nothing prompted me to update. I have a PS3, but it's updated to 2.76 I believe, and haven't put the disc in there yet. Haven't tried it on my Samsung BD-P1000 either...
post #29 of 97 Old 06-25-2009, 07:31 AM

Same on on my BD35 with v1.9, no issues and fast load...sweet.
That's why I bought two BD35's! Rock solid as a BDP can be.
Now if we can just get rid of java all-together...

1080P at last!!!
post #30 of 97 Old 06-25-2009, 08:28 AM

Watched GB's over the weekend and I have to say this was one hell of BD. I thought the movie looked and sounded great. I believe that most of the people on here complaining about PQ & AQ are either way too critical of what a 25 year old film transfer should look like or, they do not have their audio and video equipment set up properly.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page