AVS Forum banner

Blue Underground brings out the Euro-horror

23K views 182 replies 43 participants last post by  NIN74 
#1 ·
Cool news for fans of Euro-horror titles, Blue Underground is continuing to bring select cult horror to HD. Coming this fall they will be issuing Lucio Fulci's NEW YORK RIPPER (9/29/09) and Jorge Grau's THE LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE (10/27/09) to BD.

The latter is one of the best post-NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD zombie films out there, and still packs quite a punch.

#2 ·
Great news indeed. I found out about these in my recent Fangoria mag. I agree with you on The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue it is a great zombie movie. I was pumped for Maniac but that looks like it won't come out till next year since on the page it says Maniac 30th anv. SE and it came out in 1980.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_avenger /forum/post/16778000

Great news indeed. I found out about these in my recent Fangoria mag. I agree with you on The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue it is a great zombie movie. I was pumped for Maniac but that looks like it won't come out till next year since on the page it says Maniac 30th anv. SE and it came out in 1980.

Maniac's eventual release is almost a certainty as Bill Lustig who basically owns Blue Underground made that film.

I'm hoping for DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS, ZOMBIE, THE BEYOND, & SUSPIRIA out of them eventually too.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk /forum/post/16778201

I'm hoping for DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS, ZOMBIE, THE BEYOND, & SUSPIRIA out of them eventually too.

I agree with most of those titles, but given the complete and utter mess Bill Lustig made of SUSPIRIA's soundtrack on DVD, and given his jaw-dropping insistence that this dreadful mess is perfectly valid (no, it isn't!), that's the LAST film I want to see being announced for Blu-ray by Blue Underground!!...

#6 ·

Quote:

Maniac's eventual release is almost a certainty as Bill Lustig who basically owns Blue Underground made that film.

On the back of the 30th ANV. Fangoria BU has a coming soon listing-The Crazies, The Toolbox Murders, The NY Ripper, Manchester Morgue, Daughters of Darkness, Vampyres, The Blood Splattered Bride and Maniac 30th.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Shaw /forum/post/16778848

I agree with most of those titles, but given the complete and utter mess Bill Lustig made of SUSPIRIA's soundtrack on DVD, and given his jaw-dropping insistence that this dreadful mess is perfectly valid (no, it isn't!), that's the LAST film I want to see being announced for Blu-ray by Blue Underground!!...

I don't know about that, last I heard the Weinsteins have the U.S. rights to it. If true we'll never get a Blu-Ray.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_avenger /forum/post/16778911

On the back of the 30th ANV. Fangoria BU has a coming soon listing-The Crazies, The Toolbox Murders, The NY Ripper, Manchester Morgue, Daughters of Darkness, Vampyres, The Blood Splattered Bride and Maniac 30th.

-The Crazies, Manchester Morgue, Daughters of Darkness, Vampyres, The Blood Splattered Bride and Maniac 30th, will all be mine

#10 ·
BU does not own the Suspiria rights much longer--they will not bedoing a blur of it...I asked Lustig at the Fango con in June.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallax1 /forum/post/16781586

I don't know about that, last I heard the Weinsteins have the U.S. rights to it. If true we'll never get a Blu-Ray.

Don't they own the rights to the most recent HD remastering of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD too? Bummer if so, since they seem to think there is no money to be made on Blu-ray.

#12 ·
Gimmee DEEP RED (Profondo Rosso). Now that is Euro horror I can deal with.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/16784395

Gimmee DEEP RED (Profondo Rosso). Now that is Euro horror I can deal with.

Daughters of Darkness, Vampyres, an The Blood Splattered Bride probably represent the three best "adult" vampire movies ever made unless you're keen on the Rollin canon.

Daughters is a masterpiece IMO, so I'm pretty psyched. Allow me to bore with my own Amazon review of the DVD,

Quote:
The notion of "vampirism" has always had ties to dark and forbidden sides of human sexuality, and has served as metaphor for homosexuality, nymphomania, and maochism. The sexual revolution of late 60's and early 70's produced a bevy of erotic, "lesbian" vampire films, in which their creators were able to graphically exploit all manner of sexual taboos that had only been hinted at previously. DVDs have given us a wonderful cross-section of these forbidden fruits from Jess Franco's psychedelic Vampiros ****** to the surreal-dreamy trappings of Jean Rollin's Shiver Of The Vampires, but Daughter's of Darkness is for many (myself included) is the cream of the crop.

Daughter's is kind of a hybrid between Sheridan Fornau's often-filmed vampire story, Carmilla, and the many legends and exploits of real-life "vampire" Elizabeth Bathory. Brought into the present, the film begins with the arrival of two newlyweds, Stephan & Valerie (John Karlen & Danielle Quimet), to a gloomy and mostly deserted beachfront hotel in Belgium. From the onset we observe all is not right with this union, Stephan refuses to tell his "mother" of their marriage and is revealing an aloof and sadistic temperament, which Valerie mournfully tolerates. Out of the night arrives the Countess Elizabeth Bathory (Delphine Seyrig) and her sultry companion/accomplice Ilona (Andrea Rau). The Countess takes an immediate, carnal interest in the young newlyweds, and especially in Valerie. Meanwhile there seems to be a rash of murders in the nearby villages in which the young female victims have been drained of all their blood. Before long the countess and her reluctant companion have seduced the troubled newlyweds, and this is where the fun begins.

Though many erotic vampire films of the time boast tantalizing visuals & copious nudity, director Harry Kummel clearly meant Daughters of Darkness to be more than a thinly veiled soft-core "art film". Not that it's minus these elements, Daughters' is quite explicit, but it's also a sophisticated and highly styled horror film laced with bewildering moments of black-comedy. In short, it's delightfully European.

As the ageless and decadent Elizabeth Bathory, Euro-star Delphine Seryig is without peer. More often than not, female erotic-vampires are portrayed as baleful, unwilling victims of their own desires, but not Elisabeth. The Countess takes great pride in her wickedness, and done-up like a thirties Marline Dietrich, Seyrig is believable and amusing, but never corny as she gleefully corrupts all that she touches.

#14 ·
Did Zombi 2 ever see a Blu release?

I guess I should be googling instead of posting this, but what the hell.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_avenger /forum/post/16778911

Gonna get ALL of them

"Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue" is, to me, one of the BEST zombie movie ever made. And the british landscape gives the movie a touch of "Hammer" feel

#17 ·
Lustig did say Deep REd was probably on the short lsit as far as next Argento to hit blu from BU...

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamspy /forum/post/16784887

Did Zombi 2 ever see a Blu release?

I guess I should be googling instead of posting this, but what the hell.

Oddly enough Blue Underground and Media Blasters both released a remastered DVD within months of each other. Who knows where the BD will (hopefully) come from. I have more faith in Blue Underground doing the best job. I'd love to see a ZOMBIE, CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, BEYOND blu-box (they could even toss HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY in for good merit)

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk /forum/post/16785086

Oddly enough Blue Underground and Media Blasters both released a remastered DVD within months of each other. Who knows where the BD will (hopefully) come from. I have more faith in Blue Underground doing the best job. I'd love to see a ZOMBIE, CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, BEYOND blu-box (they could even toss HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY in for good merit)

BU's latest Zombi 2 looked too good to be a DVD of a 30 year old movie (anniversary edition anyone?).

I was impressed, but still left wanting RED in place of RORANGE.
Thanks NTSC color!

Held off on buying it in hopes of a Blu. Seems like a natural choice for BU to port over with that new-ish master. Isn't it one of the better known flicks(sales) of their euro-horror vault?

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamspy /forum/post/16785859

Held off on buying it in hopes of a Blu. Seems like a natural choice for BU to port over with that new-ish master. Isn't it one of the better known flicks(sales) of their euro-horror vault?

ZOMBIE (2) is probably Fulci's most well-known flick, it got a lotta play in the US, and graced just about every Ma & Pa video store back in the 80's. It also boasts that iconic ad campaign image of the worm-ridden, toothy zombie, and the tag line "WE ARE GOING TO EAT YOU!"

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk /forum/post/16787878

I could be wrong, but i thought Fox put out that colorized version from Legend, and Weinstein had the rights to the new NOTLD transfer and Romero's most recent DIARY OF THE DEAD.

You may be right...let's hope not though (although I'm sure somewhere in the world it will come out region-free).

#24 ·

Quote:

BU doesn't have The Beyond. The Anchor Bay disc was a distribution deal with Grindhouse Releasing. Now Grindhouse has their own DVD out. Zombie is owned by Media Blasters under their Shriek Show label, the BU disc was a compromise between the two studios over confusion over who owned the rights. Media Blasters allowed the BU disc since it didn't have all the extras of their edition. Argento's Suspiria is also with Dimension/Miramax now (came with the remake rights) with BU's DVD set now out of print.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnationdoormat /forum/post/16795235

BU doesn't have The Beyond. The Anchor Bay disc was a distribution deal with Grindhouse Releasing. Now Grindhouse has their own DVD out. Zombie is owned by Media Blasters under their Shriek Show label, the BU disc was a compromise between the two studios over confusion over who owned the rights. Media Blasters allowed the BU disc since it didn't have all the extras of their edition. Argento's Suspiria is also with Dimension/Miramax now (came with the remake rights) with BU's DVD set now out of print.

Very interesting, lets hope Media Blasters coughs up ZOMBIE, unfortunately Grindhouse didn't even bother to remaster THE BEYOND from the Anchor Bay release.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.