Star Trek (2009) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1353 Old 10-02-2009, 08:35 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I watched the TDK at a cinema where the bass was crazy , you could barely hear the dialog and the surrounds were cracking and popping.It was that bad.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1353 Old 10-02-2009, 09:38 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I saw Star Trek at an IMAX about 4 hours from my house (I was just happened to be vacationing where they were showing it again on IMAX), and it was good, but not great. The high end was too harsh, and the lows weren't that impressive at all. It did have some crazy dynamics, but overall is sounded like it was just turned up too loud. Kind of disappointed in the sound, since that was all I was really looking forward to at the IMAX. Others say it sounded great in the theater they saw it in. Still love the hell out of this movie, though.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #183 of 1353 Old 10-02-2009, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am fortunate enough to have just seen the "bluray".

It is absolutely stunning. LITTLE TO NO DNR!!!! Perfect amount of grain present - barely noticeable, but it's 100% naturally there. It's a beautiful transfer - lush colors, outstanding black detail, and the soundtrack is probably the best I've heard of any bluray so fars. Detail is astounding - it's slightly better than Quantum of Solace and right up there with the Pixar flicks.

The low end is simply unreal when the Romulan ship jumps to warp in the final fight scene (we're talking about almost brown note stuff here!) and the surround mix is simply out of this world during the phaser fights. The surround ambiance on the bridge made me feel like I was literally there. Dynamics are phenomenal if you've got the system to realize them.

I don't care if they charge $100 for this disc, I'll be buying it the second it hits stores and throwing a movie party that night.

Quite simply, this movie reminds me why I so passionately love home theater. I was so afraid that they weren't going to do this title right, and I am just so ecstatic that they took the time to make something special.
post #184 of 1353 Old 10-02-2009, 10:31 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post

I am fortunate enough to have just seen the "bluray".

It is absolutely stunning. LITTLE TO NO DNR!!!! Perfect amount of grain present - barely noticeable, but it's 100% naturally there. It's a beautiful transfer - lush colors, outstanding black detail, and the soundtrack is probably the best I've heard of any bluray so fars. Detail is astounding - it's slightly better than Quantum of Solace and right up there with the Pixar flicks.

The low end is simply unreal when the Romulan ship jumps to warp in the final fight scene (we're talking about almost brown note stuff here!) and the surround mix is simply out of this world during the phaser fights. The surround ambiance on the bridge made me feel like I was literally there. Dynamics are phenomenal if you've got the system to realize them.

I don't care if they charge $100 for this disc, I'll be buying it the second it hits stores and throwing a movie party that night.

Quite simply, this movie reminds me why I so passionately love home theater. I was so afraid that they weren't going to do this title right, and I am just so ecstatic that they took the time to make something special.

Man...you're killing me. Come on November 17th!!!!

Stephen.

post #185 of 1353 Old 10-03-2009, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well at least we have previews on the Star Trek TNG discs.

I really never feared this one wouldn't be done with outstanding quality to tell the truth. And if I can get it early like I did with TDK, I'll pay the price I did as well for that one!
post #186 of 1353 Old 10-10-2009, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I was told that this should be in NYC next week. I can only hope.
post #187 of 1353 Old 10-10-2009, 08:40 PM
CIH USER

Well I know its released here in Australia 29th Oct.

Frank
post #188 of 1353 Old 10-11-2009, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Well I know its released here in Australia 29th Oct.

Well, good for you,Frank.This film is the must own in your collection,not a single moment was boring woth wathing again and again unlike the formers Star Trek,I ain't this series fan.
post #189 of 1353 Old 10-11-2009, 11:29 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu View Post

Well, good for you,Frank.This film is the must own in your collection,not a single moment was boring woth wathing again and again unlike the formers Star Trek,I ain't this series fan.

Looking forward in watching it.

Frank
post #190 of 1353 Old 10-12-2009, 12:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
I'm hoping the BD looks good but imho it was a really ugly looking, harsh film. Lots of blown out contrast, (a way overused look that I hate btw...) and deliberately lens flared, shaky, poorly focussed. I know that was the desired look but compared to watching Generations the other nite, that was a beautiful looking film. I know they wanted a new "look" but jeez...
post #191 of 1353 Old 10-12-2009, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I think the caps were posted a week back in RicWhite's Blu-ray pic thread at blu-ray.com.

Blu-ray : 340
post #192 of 1353 Old 10-12-2009, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

I really never feared this one wouldn't be done with outstanding quality to tell the truth. And if I can get it early like I did with TDK, I'll pay the price I did as well for that one!

Are these trailers in DD or TrueHD?
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #193 of 1353 Old 10-12-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

I'm hoping the BD looks good but imho it was a really ugly looking, harsh film. Lots of blown out contrast, (a way overused look that I hate btw...) and deliberately lens flared, shaky, poorly focussed. I know that was the desired look but compared to watching Generations the other nite, that was a beautiful looking film. I know they wanted a new "look" but jeez...

I'd agree with this. But I have to admit, most films in the theaters look very washed out and grainy compared to HD at home, which I guess is why we all lover our HT's
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #194 of 1353 Old 10-12-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:

I would have to disagree with your opinion,as I happend to see ST in an all digital presentation off of the D-cinema master in a private screening room,and it was stunning!
The contrast was not blown out to my eyes at all,colors were rich and the blacks were very deep especially during the interior shots of nero's ship and the shots of outer space.
I did not notice any out-of-focus shots....

IF YOU ARE GOOD AT SOMETHING,NEVER DO IT FOR FREE!
post #195 of 1353 Old 10-12-2009, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyMan.1 View Post

I would have to disagree with your opinion,as I happend to see ST in an all digital presentation off of the D-cinema master in a private screening room,and it was stunning!
The contrast was not blown out to my eyes at all,colors were rich and the blacks were very deep especially during the interior shots of nero's ship and the shots of outer space.
I did not notice any out-of-focus shots....

well what you saw must have looked better than the filmprint i and my friends saw. and there were others too as evidenced by this clip and the reactions too it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAaX8Aq6smQ
post #196 of 1353 Old 10-12-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:

well what you saw must have looked better than the filmprint i and my friends saw. and there were others too as evidenced by this clip and the reactions too it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAaX8Aq6smQ

Yes it is entirely possible.... a great many issues can and will arise when you are dealing with film and mass-produced prints.
In either case I'm expecting the BR to look great!
p.s. that clip is very good....

post #197 of 1353 Old 10-12-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:

well what you saw must have looked better than the filmprint i and my friends saw.

I saw ST in 2K D-Cinema on a large-ish screen (twice) and it looked stunning. Some of the hand held stuff is obviously going to have some motion blur, by design knowing Abrams' style, but the more conventional static and dolly shots are gorgeous. The BD is going to be REALLY gorgeous based on the 1080p rip I have seen. The soundtrack is insane.
post #198 of 1353 Old 10-12-2009, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:

Speaking of the preview on the Star Trek TNG movies, did you notice that it says available now on DVD and BD? I guess they goofed on that one.

post #199 of 1353 Old 10-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Speaking of the preview on the Star Trek TNG movies, did you notice that it says available now on DVD and BD? I guess they goofed on that one.

Actually, the TNG set was created in the year 2010 and then sent back in time to 2009 using red matter. This would explain why the preview says that the new movie is "now available." Of course, now we're all living in an alternate timeline, but what can you do? These things happen.
post #200 of 1353 Old 10-12-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George View Post

I saw ST in 2K D-Cinema on a large-ish screen (twice) and it looked stunning. Some of the hand held stuff is obviously going to have some motion blur, by design knowing Abrams' style, but the more conventional static and dolly shots are gorgeous. The BD is going to be REALLY gorgeous based on the 1080p rip I have seen. The soundtrack is insane.

My sentiments exactly,some of the outer space shots were gorgeous.
The D.P. on this show is the great Dan Mindel,he also shot MI:3 for Abrams and has also worked with Tony Scott on Enemy of the State.
He has a very distinct visual style....one of my favorite D.P.'s.

post #201 of 1353 Old 10-12-2009, 09:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyMan.1 View Post

My sentiments exactly,some of the outer space shots were gorgeous.
The D.P. on this show is the great Dan Mindel,he also shot MI:3 for Abrams and has also worked with Tony Scott on Enemy of the State.
He has a very distinct visual style....one of my favorite D.P.'s.

I'm looking forward to it. It could very well have been the film print. Just looked really washed out, jacked up contrasty...

post #202 of 1353 Old 10-12-2009, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw this at the DLP theater I always go(never had a picture issue) to, and there were definitely a lot of out of focus shots...not motion blur mind you(which doesn't bother me). But every few cuts a shot will be out of focus. I know for a fact I saw it
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
when kirk gets beamed back up onto the ship...or was it when he got kicked out, it was when he was arguing with Spock on the bridge during one of those two parts
, there was camera movement but nothing fast enough where blur would become an issue.

Other than that beautiful photography...too much lens flare though. Yes lens flare can work(as it did here, mostly), but it was overdone just a enough to where it became a joke. Some one want to turn it into a drinking game?

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #203 of 1353 Old 10-12-2009, 10:56 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

I saw it in a real IMAX, and it had several out of focus shots. Bad out of focus. Like someone reaching up to your projector lense and cranking it one way or the other.

Still....

It's a fantasticly fun movie that I can't wait to get my hands on. Especially since I'm more interested in the sound than the picture anyway.

Stephen.

post #204 of 1353 Old 10-13-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I found this on another forum which may be of interest. I'll link here, sorry though if it has already been done.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/10/11/firs...n-screenshots/
post #205 of 1353 Old 10-13-2009, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles3k View Post

Actually, the TNG set was created in the year 2010 and then sent back in time to 2009 using red matter. This would explain why the preview says that the new movie is "now available." Of course, now we're all living in an alternate timeline, but what can you do? These things happen.

LOL! Good one!

post #206 of 1353 Old 10-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

I saw this at the DLP theater I always go(never had a picture issue) to, and there were definitely a lot of out of focus shots...not motion blur mind you(which doesn't bother me). But every few cuts a shot will be out of focus. I know for a fact I saw it
Spoiler  
when kirk gets beamed back up onto the ship...or was it when he got kicked out, it was when he was arguing with Spock on the bridge during one of those two parts
, there was camera movement but nothing fast enough where blur would become an issue.

Other than that beautiful photography...too much lens flare though. Yes lens flare can work(as it did here, mostly), but it was overdone just a enough to where it became a joke. Some one want to turn it into a drinking game?

The Lens Flare didn't bother me at all. I also saw this at a DLP showing and it was phenomenal looking. I didn't notice any out of focus shots that didn't appear to be intentional and I really liked the color saturation of the deck of the Enterprise (stark whites and deep colors of the uniforms) contrasting against the dark space. I honestly think ST never looked better.

Even my wife who doesn't EVER comment on PQ be it at home or in the theater said it looked amazing.
post #207 of 1353 Old 10-13-2009, 03:43 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I found this on another forum which may be of interest. I'll link here, sorry though if it has already been done.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/10/11/firs...n-screenshots/

Cool. Thanks.

Stephen.

post #208 of 1353 Old 10-14-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just an update concerning the Blu ray in NYC, still waiting and was told maybe next week.
post #209 of 1353 Old 10-14-2009, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

Just an update concerning the Blu ray in NYC, still waiting and was told maybe next.

next...?

was there more?

thanks.
post #210 of 1353 Old 10-14-2009, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

next...?