Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Interesting timing...the week before Thanksgiving (or, more accurately, ten days before Black Friday).

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #3 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Probably pick it up on BF then. I'm sure somewhere will have it a few $$$ off.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
post #4 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I fell like Cartman waiting for the Wii to be released. Anyone want to bury me in a glacier for the next few months?
post #5 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Yup. Long wait till Nov 17....
post #6 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

i am so looking forward to this on blu!
post #7 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 08:47 AM

Paramount better not screw up this release, like they did with the original series films.
post #8 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudidoody View Post

Paramount better not screw up this release, like they did with the original series films.

Their catalog titles have been mostly garbage but their new releases have been near-perfection. I wouldn't worry about this one at all.
post #9 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
This should look awesome on Blu Ray! Can't wait until this one is released, it is up there with Braveheart & Gladiator for me.
post #10 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 11:04 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Man that's a long time to wait. I haven't looked forward to a release like I have this one in a long time.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #11 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Man that's a long time to wait. I haven't looked forward to a release like I have this one in a long time.

same here
post #12 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Me too. This will only be my 5th Blu-Ray purchase in (what will then be) 11 months. My movie purchase rate is slowing considerably; could it be there's not as many good (new) movies? In fact, the only others I envision buying in the next YEAR are Terminator Salvation and Avatar (I know: there hasn't even been a trailer yet).

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #13 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 242
This release sounds awesome!! Can't wait,this has been my favorite movie of the year so far and I sure it will be my fav BD of the year as well. I did have my heart set on an October release though and now my heart finds out it has to wait an extra month.

I just hope the features are more then the typical 10-15 minute fluff peices that are thrown onto most releases these days. I want in depth 30-60 minutes documentaries.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #14 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 12:01 PM

Liked: 832
Any word if the deleted stuff will be included with seamless branching?

Love if they added it, since most of it was relevant to the plot, but cut for timing.
post #15 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

November??? Damn. Well I'll have some other big blockbusters to enjoy while I wait.
post #16 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
How about the details? From http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3142 :

After the appetizer given early this morning, Paramount Home Entertainment has revealed the full release details for 'Star Trek', which will hit store shelves on Blu-ray on November 17, day-and-date with DVD. It will be presented in 2.35:1 1080p High Definition with English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital with English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. Over three hours of bonus materials will be included.

The Blu-ray offers exclusive branching pods that allow for enhanced exploration, more fascinating features on the starships, planets, props, costumes and sound of STAR TREK, as well as a Starfleet Vessel Simulator and access to the latest NASA news about real-life space exploration via BD-Live.

It also offers a home entertainment first: groundbreaking augmented reality technology. Using a webcam, a Star Trek visual cue will morph into a 3D holographic tour of the U.S.S. Enterprise on the screen, providing a unique immersive and interactive experience.

Special features are as follows:

Disc 1

* Commentary:By director J.J. Abrams, writers Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman, producer Damon Lindelof and executive producer Bryan Burk.
* NASA News (BD-exclusive): This BD-Live feature gives viewers access to the latest NASA news about real space exploration. Learn about new mission developments and check out featured imagery from around the universe.

Disc 2

* To Boldly Go: Taking on the world's most beloved science fiction franchise was no small mission. Director J.J. Abrams, writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, producer Damon Lindelof, and executive producer Bryan Burk talk about the many challenges they faced and their strategy for success.
o Branching Pods:
+ The Shatner Conundrum
+ Red Shirt Guy
+ The Green Girl
+ Trekker Alert!
* Casting: The producers knew their greatest task was finding the right cast to reprise these epic roles. The cast, for their part, talk about the experience of trying to capture the essence of these mythic characters. The piece concludes with a moving tribute to Leonard Nimoy.
* A New Vision: J.J. Abrams' vision was not only to create a Star Trek that was a bigger, more action-packed spectacle, but also to make the spectacle feel real. Every aspect of production--from unique locations to the use of classic Hollywood camera tricks--was guided by this overall objective.
o Branching Pods:
+ Savage Pressure
* Starships (BD-exclusive): Abrams and production designer Scott Chambliss were careful to pay tribute to the design of the original Enterprise, but they also wanted to make it futuristic and cool for a modern audience. This chapter focuses on the unique stories behind the creation of the film's starships.
o Branching Pods:
+ Warp Explained
+ Paint Job
+ Bridge Construction Accelerated
+ The Captain's Chair
+ Button Acting 101
+ Shuttle Shuffle
+ Narada Construction Accelerated
* Aliens: Designers Neville Page and Joel Harlow talk about the hurdles they faced creating new alien species, recreating the Romulans and Vulcans, and designing the terrifying creatures on Delta Vega for the new Star Trek.
o Branching Pods:
+ The Alien Paradox
+ Big-Eyed Girl
+ Big Bro Quinto
+ Klingons
+ Drakoulias Anatomy 101
* Planets (BD-exclusive): From the frozen landscape of Delta Vega to the desert plains of Vulcan, Scott Chambliss and the art department had a number of radically different planets to create. Abrams' desire to shoot on real locations whenever possible led the production team to a number of strange and surprising locations.
o Branching Pods:
+ Extra Business
+ Confidentiality
* Props and Costumes (BD-exclusive): Property master Russell Bobbitt had the unique challenge of designing props that were both true to the original series and pertinent to today's technology. Likewise, costume designer Michael Kaplan talks about how he designed costumes that paid homage to what came before yet were relevant and timeless.
o Branching Pods:
+ Klingon Wardrobe
* Ben Burtt and the Sounds of Star Trek (BD-exclusive) : When famed sound designer Ben Burtt was hired to create sounds for the first Star Wars film, he took his inspiration from the original "Star Trek" series. Burtt jumped at the opportunity to pay tribute to the sounds that sparked his career with the sounds he created for the new Star Trek.
* Score: As a fan of the original series, composer Michael Giacchino embraced the challenge of creating new music for Star Trek while preserving the spirit of Alexander Courage's celebrated theme.
* Gene Roddenberry's Vision (BD-exclusive): J.J. Abrams, Leonard Nimoy, previous Star Trek writers and producers, and scientific consultant Carolyn Porco describe and commend the optimistic and enduring vision of Gene Roddenberry.
* Nine deleted scenes with optional commentary
* Starfleet Vessel Simulator (BD-exclusive):Explore extensive data on the U.S.S. Enterprise and the Romulan ship, the Narada. Submerse yourself in breathtaking 360 views and close-ups and review detailed tech information.
* Gag Reel: Bloopers featuring the entire principal cast.

Disc 3

* Digital Copy
* Star Trek D-A-C Free Trial Game for XBOX 360
* Weblink to the Star Trek D-A-C free trial game for PC
* Weblink to the Star Trek D-A-C free trial game for PlayStation Network

"I cannot wait for fans of Star Trek to check out the home entertainment release of the film. The behind-the-scenes features on the DVD -- and especially the Blu-ray -- give a wonderful look at the crazy hard work and incredible fun that went into making this movie," said J.J. Abrams. "The cast and crew were truly extraordinary to work with -- watching these special features, you'll see why. And for people who didn't catch Star Trek in the theater, I hope they do now, as Paramount has done an exceptional job with this release; the picture and sound quality are both excellent."

post #17 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Well - all of the major blu-ray player companies better tell their engineers to cancel any vacation plans for Thanksgiving and Christmas and be ready to crank out firmware fixes when this hits the streets!

The hue and cry over BD problems will shake the heavens!!
post #18 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post

Well - all of the major blu-ray player companies better tell their engineers to cancel any vacation plans for Thanksgiving and Christmas and be ready to crank out firmware fixes when this hits the streets!

The hue and cry over BD problems will shake the heavens!!

No kidding-I have visions of my BD-HP20U crashing as soon the disc starts to load

Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade.
post #19 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
[quote=rolltide1017;16842228]This release sounds awesome!! Can't wait,this has been my favorite movie of the year so far and I sure it will be my fav BD of the year as well. I did have my heart set on an October release though and now my heart finds out it has to wait an extra month.

for sure
post #20 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Even longer for some... I tend to stop purchasing much of anything around November, to make way for Christmas (since all I ever ask for are the November/December Blu-ray releases.. hehe).

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #21 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 05:54 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Excellent missed this in the cinemas looking forward in watching it. This is a blind buy but I think it will be worth it.

Frank

post #22 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Excellent missed this in the cinemas looking forward in watching it. This is a blind buy but I think it will be worth it.

The film is great, you'll love it.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #23 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched it on the big screen a couple of months ago, and looking forward to adding this into my "Star Trek Encyclopedia" that I have.

At least it's nice that they went back to the TOS crew for this film, tho. Almost anything else was all TNG from the most recent films before this one.
Would've probably liked this to be a Voyager-based film, but obviously we may never get that.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #24 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 06:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Perfect timing to launch Blu-ray sales for this title, other Blu-ray movies and for why not buy it now and get a Blu-ray player hardware sales.

The results of its sale will be announced the day before Thanksgiving and will be the buzz for the next week and into December. Expect some significant Blu-ray promotions for it as it a natural fit and Paramount wants to make this work on Blu-ray as well as DVD.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #25 of 1353 Old 07-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

...Paramount wants to make this work on Blu-ray as well as DVD.

Hopefully that means more than just testing it on a PS3 and declaring it ready for the public.
post #26 of 1353 Old 07-18-2009, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Paramount Home Entertainment has announced that they will bring J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek' to Blu-ray in the UK on November 2nd. I am really thinking about getting it from the UK.
post #27 of 1353 Old 07-18-2009, 09:25 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

The film is great, you'll love it.

I can't wait its going to be a good month November

Frank

post #28 of 1353 Old 07-18-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Of all the summer movies out so far this year, this is the one I'm most looking forward to on BD. This may change after viewing Harry Potter 6, but for now, this is first holiday "must-have" title for me.

Still looking for a movie theatre that shows movies the way they're SUPPOSED to be viewed...

...with a bitrate meter and screencaps.
post #29 of 1353 Old 07-18-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post

Hopefully that means more than just testing it on a PS3 and declaring it ready for the public.

I was thinking about the marketing , advertising and promotional aspects, but yeah, I see your point.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #30 of 1353 Old 07-18-2009, 02:48 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I rarely say this of any movie, considering just how different some people's taste's are, but I would recommend this movie as a blind buy above nearly any movie I've seen in recent memory. Very, very fun movie.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Star Trek Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Star by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page