AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlander View Post

And 10 wasn´t tempered with at all.

I must say that I expected Nemesis to look sharper given it´s short age. I guess it shows how far digital scans have come within a few years. I haven´t bought the box with 1-6 because of the heavy DNR but in this case, I won´t be able to resist.

Actually its tampered. The Alien planet should show alot of grain as it did in theater. Its clean as a pixarmovie.´

There is a strong chance that Nemesis is a older master then both Generations and First contact, that both has gotten new masters since they were first released.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 326 Old 09-21-2009, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Found this posted on another forum but I'm unsure if the deal is still good. Try if you are interested. Around $40 or so with the 20% off deal that was running using code "FSSEPT20".

http://www.wherehouse.com/movies/pro...jsp?id=2895477
post #303 of 326 Old 09-21-2009, 04:04 PM

So is it true that they are region locked to A?

I have the 1-6 set and am looking to get this, but I have a Region B player and want to be sure before I order it from Amazon.com
post #304 of 326 Old 09-22-2009, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Anybody know if Walmart is putting this set out on the shelves? I got a extra Band of Brothers BD set for my birthday that I would like to exchange for the TNG movie set. My local Walmart is inconsistant when comes to putting new release BDs of catalog titles out the shelves.
post #305 of 326 Old 09-22-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbuliuz View Post

So is it true that they are region locked to A?

I have the 1-6 set and am looking to get this, but I have a Region B player and want to be sure before I order it from Amazon.com

Movietyme says they're region free: http://movietyme.blogspot.com/2009/0...on-motion.html
post #306 of 326 Old 09-22-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator840 View Post

Anybody know if Walmart is putting this set out on the shelves? I got a extra Band of Brothers BD set for my birthday that I would like to exchange for the TNG movie set. My local Walmart is inconsistant when comes to putting new release BDs of catalog titles out the shelves.

Went to a local store at lunchtime not specifically to look for this but they didn't have it out nor did I bother asking.

Want to talk about worse than inconsistent? BV stores for rentals of catalogs on release day has gone from bad to much worse in my area.
post #307 of 326 Old 09-22-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoFever View Post

Movietyme says they're region free: http://movietyme.blogspot.com/2009/0...on-motion.html

Great news thanks, just wanted to be sure before I plucked down the cash to order it.
post #308 of 326 Old 09-22-2009, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I am surprised by the lack of activity in this thread.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #309 of 326 Old 09-22-2009, 09:51 PM

I bought the set. I watched Generations. Usually I don't have to change the video settings, but I had to move the tint control deeper into red. It was, to my eyes, greener than it should be. I also turned up the contrast and brightness. The shimmering on Data's forehead has all but been eliminated. Very sharp picture, very detailed, and no EE, no DNR I could detect. The soundtrack was at a lower volume than what I usually listen, so I had to crank that up as well. Not so different than the S.E. in detail. So I am a bit dissatisfied overall.
post #310 of 326 Old 09-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCD View Post

and no EE

On Generations I noticed what appeared to be halos during the first footage with the TNG crew (during the segment in the holodeck). But otherwise the picture seemed quite nice. Disappointed though that these don't seem to have gotten the 7.1 audio treatment...

Fight mediocrity: Insist on BD50 discs for all movies longer than 100 minutes, optimized video encodes that fully utilize the available space, lossless audio track, and new masters for catalog titles!
post #311 of 326 Old 09-23-2009, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

Went to a local store at lunchtime not specifically to look for this but they didn't have it out nor did I bother asking.

Want to talk about worse than inconsistent? BV stores for rentals of catalogs on release day has gone from bad to much worse in my area.

I checked walmart.com and looked up the TNG set, the site says not available in stores , but is a site to store item. So last night I took my Band of Brother BD set back and got my money back. I went back to electronics to check anyway, no luck. My local store is one the recently remodeled ones so all the BDs are on the back wall with the BD players with flat panel monitors above them, and the funny thing was they were playing Star Trek VI.

So I decided to take the 20 mile trek to the nearest Best Buy and I got there just in time as they only had one set left. What we go through to get BDs!

I had a chance to check out part of Generations, I thought it looks very good. Huge improvement over the SE DVDs. No visble DNR that I can tell. Brought back memories of the theatrical screenings that I did back in 1994.
post #312 of 326 Old 09-23-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator840 View Post

So I decided to take the 20 mile trek to the nearest Best Buy...

seems appropriate, no...?
post #313 of 326 Old 09-23-2009, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Up here in the arctic, my Walmart has the Next Gen box set on the shelf (and I saw the TOS s2 in a box ready to go on the shelf) but the prices are simply way too high for my blood, even if they're cheaper than amazon.ca (Next Gen isn't even listed on amazon.ca). I want the set, but it's likely that this one will be one I ask for as a Christmas gift or something & hopefully the prices have fallen a bit (or I find them on a good boxing-day sale!).
post #314 of 326 Old 09-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

I am surprised by the lack of activity in this thread.

I ordered from Amazon so I am still patiently waiting for my Trek set.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #315 of 326 Old 09-23-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyglassesgirl View Post

Up here in the arctic, my Walmart has the Next Gen box set on the shelf (and I saw the TOS s2 in a box ready to go on the shelf) but the prices are simply way too high for my blood, even if they're cheaper than amazon.ca (Next Gen isn't even listed on amazon.ca). I want the set, but it's likely that this one will be one I ask for as a Christmas gift or something & hopefully the prices have fallen a bit (or I find them on a good boxing-day sale!).

You can order it from amazon.ca, they just don't have it in stock. I cancelled my order.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #316 of 326 Old 09-23-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

You can order it from amazon.ca, they just don't have it in stock. I cancelled my order.
John

I don't want to order it when they don't have a price listed, though.
post #317 of 326 Old 09-23-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyglassesgirl View Post

I don't want to order it when they don't have a price listed, though.

If I recall, it was around $52 plus shipping and tax.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #318 of 326 Old 09-23-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

If I recall, it was around $52 plus shipping and tax.
John

All it has there now is to sign up when it's available. Eventually I'll get this, I'm sure of that at least!
post #319 of 326 Old 09-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mine arrived this morning at 11:30AM. Just so happens I'm home, sick as a god today. At least there's a plus side...

Verum postulo res.
post #320 of 326 Old 09-23-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I got mine from my local used (STOLEN) cd/dvd shop.
Price.........................30bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #321 of 326 Old 09-23-2009, 12:53 PM

I've been seeing more reports of a green push on "Generations". This is not good.
post #322 of 326 Old 09-23-2009, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCD View Post

I bought the set. I watched Generations. Usually I don't have to change the video settings, but I had to move the tint control deeper into red. It was, to my eyes, greener than it should be. I also turned up the contrast and brightness. The shimmering on Data's forehead has all but been eliminated. Very sharp picture, very detailed, and no EE, no DNR I could detect. The soundtrack was at a lower volume than what I usually listen, so I had to crank that up as well. Not so different than the S.E. in detail. So I am a bit dissatisfied overall.

Don't forget to check DRC on your BD player and your amp/avr. I always make sure they are set to OFF.

Watched First Contact. It was enjoyable for the most part and both PQ and AQ were pretty good. I wasn't distracted during my viewing per se so that is a good thing. BUT it is just another middle of the road, so so, it is better than the SD DVD (many folks are getting tired of reading that) catalog title. Was I disappointed/dissatisfied? Not really but I wasn't expecting much to tell the truth.

I'll watch the others when I get the opportunity. The most important thing was that it was nice to watch this movie again (it is my favorite in the set) with the BD treatment.
post #323 of 326 Old 09-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Just finished Generations - nice PQ overall, considering anyway.

Little bit of concern on my end about the audio being mastered a little low but overall very happy.

Verum postulo res.
post #324 of 326 Old 09-23-2009, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton View Post

Just finished Generations - nice PQ overall, considering anyway.

Little bit of concern on my end about the audio being mastered a little low but overall very happy.

Low compared to what? If it is TrueHD, that would be par for the course. DTS-MA is always mastered much louded than TrueHD and that isn't necessarily a good thing. Overall how was the sound compared to SD version?
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #325 of 326 Old 09-23-2009, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton View Post

Having to turn up the volume is actually a good thing. Typically it means the audio is more dynamic and has less audio compression/limiting, also means less or no distortion.

DTS has been known to exceed proper levels, known as clipping which is a bad thing, in order for it to sound 'better'. In reality it is a cheap trick to make people perceive that is better audio quality.

With that said I do not prefer one HD codec over the other since when properly implemented they should sound near identical, assuming one mix has not been made louder.

Best Regards
KvE

PS realized some edits needed to be made, feeling wonky. ;{

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #326 of 326 Old 09-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

Having to turn up the volume is actually a good thing. Typically it means the audio is more dynamic and has less audio compression/limiting, as well is not going to distort.

DTS has been known to exceed proper levels, known as clipping which is a bad thing, in order for it to sound 'better'. In reality it is a cheap trick to make people perceive that is better audio quality.

With that said I do not prefer one HD codec of the other since when properly implemented they should sound near identical, assuming one mix has been made louder.

Best Regards
KvE

Yes I found standard DVD DTS did that all the time - was often mixed louder than the DD track and loud things seemed too "loud", as though they were artifically boosted. A good example is the DTS 6.1 track on Return of the King. Blu-ray audio is WAY better in this respect, there are only a small number of releases like that. The HD codecs on Blu-ray movies generally all sound excellent and natural.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page