Warner Blu-rays with LOWER BITRATES than the HD DVD version - w/ comparison PIX - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-21-2009, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Batman is anamorphic35 and has the same look it had in theater.
There is no EE in The Matrix (super35).

Anamorphic optics won't look THAT soft. I mean, Transformers is one of my go-to demo discs. Batman Begins is just a sub-par transfer. I believe Nolan chose to not use a digital intermediate for that production, which seems to be a good recipe for mediocre blu-ray releases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Post #5 updated with 9 image pairs from The Matrix Revolutions.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Anamorphic optics won't look THAT soft. I mean, Transformers is one of my go-to demo discs. Batman Begins is just a sub-par transfer. I believe Nolan chose to not use a digital intermediate for that production, which seems to be a good recipe for mediocre blu-ray releases.

Braveheart is anamorphic and didn't use a DI.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Yes, there's no excuse for BB. Simply, it was just done wrong (like we can see on almost every other WB title).
Old 08-22-2009, 03:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

It comes down to that we have a 8bit presentation of 10bit source.

Shouldn't there be dithering instead of banding though?

Fight mediocrity: Insist on BD50 discs for all movies longer than 100 minutes, optimized video encodes that fully utilize the available space, lossless audio track, and new masters for catalog titles!
Old 08-22-2009, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkedgex View Post

Shouldn't there be dithering instead of banding though?

Yes it should. But not every title gets the latest dithering tech. If I remember correctly the Paramount version of Beowulf got a different 8bit conversion then Warners version of Beowulf got.

There is of course a downside to dithering aswell.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Well Ã*f you scan the negativecut of a movie, it wouldnt matter in quality if you used a DI or not. Wally Pfister didnt want to use a DI because he experienced that you got digital noise in the process. But there is one advantage to using a DI in percivable quality. You can tweak the image alot more in a DI stage. I would guess Transformers got some contrastboosting.

But if we break down the other aspect what makes Transformers different, and forget the fact that they also shot part of that movie in Super35.

We already covered the DI aspect(and super35). Is there more varaibles to the movie.

Yes. You also have the lenses that was used, couldnt find exactly what was used in different scenes so its hard to point to it, but the lens selection gives you great variation to the image. The C-series of lenses isnt as sharp as E-series.

We also have the lighting aspect. There are two very different styles of Lighting in the 2 movies. Bay seem to go at more traditional Bruckheimer lighting (that usually is the biggest factor for demo material)

Nolan seem to go much more to the softer natural lighting. He doesnt use heavy kickers as much as Bay does.

In alot of the titles people talks about demomaterial. Lighting has always been a very important factor.

The other aspect of lighting is that it effects the Iris of the camera. With anamorphic you lose sharpness the more you open up the iris. And that effects the focus. Will you see an extreme effect of this watch Mad Max 2. When the cars drives to the chrashsite in the end. That was shot at dawn with the camera fully open to catch as much light as possible. They couldnt get anything in focus for that shot.

We also have that different filmstocks effect the image. If you use a high density filmstock you get a very clean image, but it will also be percieved as softer compared to a more grainy image (Thats why some pros add noise to their photos)