Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1362 Old 08-20-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Never saw it in the theater, but will be a day 1 buy for me nonetheless for reasons already stated, and for my son.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1362 Old 08-20-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 717
My friend at work is buying this on day one so I'll wait and borrow it from him. I don't want to waste a rental or my $$ in case it blows. I'm interested to see and hear the battle and IMAX scenes but based on what I've read that's it.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror: 
post #33 of 1362 Old 08-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1992 Post(s)
Liked: 2284
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrXym View Post

Maybe you should read the reviews first. Even reviewers who liked the first movie hated the second one.

I am fully aware of all of that.....how could I not be. There have also been PLENTY of people who found it VERY entertaining and a great shut your brain off thrill ride as evidence by a ~57% user rating on rottentomatoes not to mention various other positive comments around the web and ellsewhere......there have also been those who have liked this one better then the first......either way I will make up my own mind and decide for myself but will take a chance on a blind buy as I have a STRONG feeling this will be one hell of a fun HT ride

post #34 of 1362 Old 08-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick99 View Post

Let's hope it doesn't get the IMAX print in the same way TDK did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGator View Post

It is, sorry.

I think patrick99 means how they used the blown up IMAX print of the 35mm scenes for The Dark Knight Blu-ray which led to less than stellar picture quality for the non-IMAX sections.
post #35 of 1362 Old 08-20-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can we talk about exclamation points? This title is not worthy of 4 exclamation points in it's title. I am not sure it is worth any, frankly, but four is so extremely excessive, and we don't need to be wasting our valuable exclamation point resources. When this thread has more !'s than the LOTR thread in the title, then I think we can agree things are out of hand.
post #36 of 1362 Old 08-20-2009, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC2 View Post

When this thread has more !'s than the LOTR thread in the title, then I think we can agree things are out of hand.

When the LOTR thread will be about EEs, then we'll talk!!!!!

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #37 of 1362 Old 08-20-2009, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
it should have read !!!11!!one!!1eleventy!

(A/V)Ignorance is Bliss -------- sweet, cheap bliss
post #38 of 1362 Old 08-20-2009, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Opinions of the movie aside it should be a reference disc all the way and will probably end up being one of the top LFE demo discs out there.

Jason

HT = JVC RS40 / Lumagen Radiance / Vivitek 1186 /@133" / Denon x5200 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" subs x2 / CV 15" sub / Sony BDP s1000ES / Yamaha DV-S5860 / Toshiba HD-A3 / PureAV PF31
Media Room = Samsung 65KS8000 / Denon x3300 / Klipsch speakers / Velodyne subs / Samsung K8500 / PS4 Pro + PSVR / WiiU / PS3 / 360 / Wii / 1080 TI - i7 game PC / Multi-Arcade / My HT SLIDESHOW
post #39 of 1362 Old 08-20-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheo View Post

when the lotr thread will be about ees, then we'll talk!!!!!

+1

"How long were you in Mexico?"
" uh...a week, no, no, a day..."
"Well, which is it a week or a day?
"uh...a weekday?"
post #40 of 1362 Old 08-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

I wish the real Animated Movie gets released here in the US on Blu

Don't wait for the US version of the animated movie. I ordered it from Amazon.co.uk for less than $25 shipped almost a year ago. Plays perfectly since it's region free. Looks and sounds GREAT!!!

Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transformers...0823821&sr=1-1

However, it looks like Amazon.co.uk does not sell it directly at the moment. There are other sellers that are selling it new though.
post #41 of 1362 Old 08-21-2009, 03:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujay View Post

I think patrick99 means how they used the blown up IMAX print of the 35mm scenes for The Dark Knight Blu-ray which led to less than stellar picture quality for the non-IMAX sections.

Exactly.
post #42 of 1362 Old 08-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick99 View Post

Exactly.

Or the flip flopping aspect ratios. Thats just idiotic.
post #43 of 1362 Old 08-21-2009, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrader View Post

Or the flip flopping aspect ratios. Thats just idiotic.

Oh no, not again... These movies were made like this, period. Therefore I'm glad the filmmakers want the home release to be as close as possible to what we saw in IMAX.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #44 of 1362 Old 08-21-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wouldn't mind the IMAX sequences being presented in their full aspect ratio on BD.
post #45 of 1362 Old 08-21-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This will be a blind buy for me, I am glad it's releasing sooner than I thought. Oct. 20 is D day for me. (crossing my fingers). And since I never watch anymore in movie theaters I always felt I saved money and it will be sweeter coz I will see it in the first time.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
post #46 of 1362 Old 08-21-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I am fully aware of all of that.....how could I not be. There have also been PLENTY of people who found it VERY entertaining and a great shut your brain off thrill ride as evidence by a ~57% user rating on rottentomatoes not to mention various other positive comments around the web and ellsewhere......there have also been those who have liked this one better then the first......either way I will make up my own mind and decide for myself but will take a chance on a blind buy as I have a STRONG feeling this will be one hell of a fun HT ride

Well it's your money so go with your strong feeling if you must. But critical consensus say the thing is a turkey.

I should say for disclosure that I actually own the first Transformers on HD DVD. I bought it on firesale as it would have cost me more to actually rent it. My opinion of the first movie was it was mediocre in most respects. Effects were undeniably fantastic but the plot didn't make any sense. The sequel is supposedly much, much worse.

I don't even see justification for buying it to exercise a sound or video system. Blu Ray is well out of early adopter phase and there are plenty of better movies to give an AV system a workout than this POS.
post #47 of 1362 Old 08-21-2009, 01:20 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I don't even see justification for buying it to exercise a sound or video system. Blu Ray is well out of early adopter phase and there are plenty of better movies to give an AV system a workout than this POS.

How are there better AV demos, if this hasn't even been released? What are you comparing?

Nonsense. The worst story/script in the world is still capable of having top notch technical qualities.

Besides, there are many, if not a majority that enjoyed the movie, while still fully understanding that it was not a very good one.
post #48 of 1362 Old 08-21-2009, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 55
Quote:

I definately won't be buying it, but I'll probably end up renting it... it's not like movies shot on IMAX film come out every day. Considering one of those frames has about 14 times the resolution capability of your average scope-aspect super35 frame, and I don't think larger film formats on blu-ray have really been done right yet, this has the potential to stand out in a big way above other live action movies for picture quality if Paramount doesn't screw something up.
post #49 of 1362 Old 08-21-2009, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3561 Post(s)
Liked: 1905
I've gotten out of my "buying such and such movie for pure A/V candy" phase. Thank God, since this movie was one big steaming pile of dog...

If I want dumb and fun in the same sentence I'll stick to ID4, which has very, very good audio and pretty decent PQ. I can't take movies that are just, well, dumb for the pleasure of hot, sweaty women who can't act their way out of a wet paper bag in 1080p and robots that go boom! in 24 bit lossless.

Spielberg should be ashamed his name is in the credits. Did they even have a script writer for this or did they just make it up as they went along?

Oh well...

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #50 of 1362 Old 08-21-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Spielberg should be ashamed his name is in the credits. Did they even have a script writer for this or did they just make it up as they went along?

Oh well...

He just checked his bank balance. I guess shame just went flying through the window and instead a huge smile appeared on his face.

Anyway he made Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull. Now thats something to be ashamed of. Your line reminded me of Raiders Of The Lost Ark where Indiana Jones answers a question by saying he's just making it up as he goes along.
post #51 of 1362 Old 08-21-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

I wouldn't mind the IMAX sequences being presented in their full aspect ratio on BD.

Full IMAX aspect ratio would have black bars on the side since its true ratio is about 1.43.1, I believe. It will most likely be like TDK where the IMAX shots are cropped to 16x9 and the non-IMAX shots presented in there original scope ratio.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus (returning to XBL with Xbox One X)
post #52 of 1362 Old 08-21-2009, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Well it's your money so go with your strong feeling if you must. But critical consensus say the thing is a turkey.

I should say for disclosure that I actually own the first Transformers on HD DVD. I bought it on firesale as it would have cost me more to actually rent it. My opinion of the first movie was it was mediocre in most respects. Effects were undeniably fantastic but the plot didn't make any sense. The sequel is supposedly much, much worse.

Of course, this "POS" is something you haven't seen.

And, really, the plot "didn't make any sense"??? It isn't like there was much plot to speak of. I don't really see how it can not make sense. It doesn't get much more simplistic in terms of story than that first Transformers movie.

I know it's cool to hate these Michael Bay movies, but they are never anything that wasn't advertised. Everyone knows exactly what they are getting. If you are looking for a strong story/plot in a movie about robots that transform into vehicles based on a toy line, I'm not sure the filmmakers are at fault.

The sole purpose of these movies is to entertain. Not provoke thought. Many people are entertained by Bay's action sequences hung on a clothesline of a plot, mixed with light comedy.

All that being said, I'm not going to sit here and say I loved "Transformers 2" (although, I've at least seen it before stating that). Most of it, I did enjoy quite a bit. Had it been about 30-45 minutes shorter, it would've been great. The same over-indulgence Bay displayed in Bad Boys 2 is also on display in Transformers 2. Is it an incomptent-end-of-the-world-root-of-all-evil movie? No.
post #53 of 1362 Old 08-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1992 Post(s)
Liked: 2284
Quote:

Plot would be a bonus for a film like this.........I dont go see a film such as Transformers expecting a great plot (this is your mistake) I go see a film such as Transformers to be flat out entertained for a few hours in a fantasy type world and escape my own life for while. I do however expect a reference audio presentation with a film like this and if that does not deliver it will be a let down for me to some degree.

Although I respect your opinion, it is just one opinion. By all means you should definately not buy this, but why do you care what I plan to do? If this one is anywhere near as fun as the first (the last ~30 minutes of the first is pure audio bliss IMO) in my HT it will be a good buy for ME. Also, have you even seen this film, or are you letting other people make up your mind for you and not thinking for yourself? If the latter, there is no point to even continue this conversation since that is just ridiculous.

Once again it depends on who you ask........there are PLENTY of opinions both ways with Trans 2 from my reading. I have read many opinions that say it is not as good as the first to some degree, and many opinions stating it is better and also quite a few saying it is on par with the first.........so again I will decided for myself when I watch it. I also have the first one on HD-DVD (and BR) and it is easily in the top 3 HT experiences I have experienced from a tech level (sound in particular) and just a pure escapist fun type level.......it sounds to me like the 2nd just takes the first and puts it on steroids both the good and bad aspects.......I think I can get around the bad if the good is even better than the first.

Bottom line is I might love it and I might hate it BUT I wont make that decision until I watch it for myself and based on how entertaining I find the first one in my HT (which is a big part of my enjoyment of this film), a blind buy does not seem like a bad gamble for me.
post #54 of 1362 Old 08-21-2009, 04:26 PM

Love the people in here threadcrapping like we've never heard the movie's criticisms before
post #55 of 1362 Old 08-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Sweet! Saw this twice in the theatre...Must buy for me...

Blu Ray: 200
HD DVD: 35
post #56 of 1362 Old 08-21-2009, 09:23 PM

day one purchase, for me. I enjoyed the movie.

PSN: soundofav8
X-Box Live: soundofav8
post #57 of 1362 Old 08-21-2009, 09:56 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post

Love the people in here threadcrapping like we've never heard the movie's criticisms before

I just don't get why people enjoy going into these threads saying "hey everyone, I don't like this movie, and I'm not going to buy it!".

Why do we care?

Do they not have something better to do?
post #58 of 1362 Old 08-21-2009, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

the movie sucked the 1st time and was better the second... i will get this for the battle scene at the end... should be great in DTS-HD

And the forest scene will be even better in DTS-MA!!

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #59 of 1362 Old 08-21-2009, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

I've gotten out of my "buying such and such movie for pure A/V candy" phase. Thank God, since this movie was one big steaming pile of dog...

Oh well...

Cool, good to know. We were all wondering....

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #60 of 1362 Old 08-22-2009, 03:04 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2404 Post(s)
Liked: 1511
Definite buy for me.

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software