Old 10-20-2009, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_6 View Post

Which scene is that exactly? I'll check it out when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolstrategist View Post

Could you be just a little less vague?

First, some of us just bought the movie and second...

Some of us do not stare at or have within view our DVD counters while enjoying the movie. What is the effect and what should we expect based upon your experience with your equipment.

Haha my bad, I thought everyone here liked checking their audio bitrates and everything with timestamps. I personally don't, but oh well. Anyway, it's when that Decepticon jet (could be Starscream) is flying above the Egyptian pyramids and shuts off all radio signals from the military and such. I can't describe the sound at all, but it will give your sub a nice quick ride and... I just don't know how to explain it, that's why I didn't haha. I also didn't want to "spoil" anything.

EDIT: Correct to the poster above, it's the EMP burst. I forgot that the IMAX version has a different timestamp.

Anyway, I loved that effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Uhm... can we get back on topic? Thanks.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll have to wait until tomorrow to pick up my copy...I wasn't anywhere near a Walmart and I'm planning on getting the IMAX edition.

So just to be sure...the IMAX edition should have a slipcover right?
Old 10-20-2009, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, without the slipcover it's just a picture of Bumblebee. No title or text.

Although at my Wal-Mart, the "Big Screen" IMAX version was the only Blu-ray version being sold.

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector.B View Post

I'll have to wait until tomorrow to pick up my copy...I wasn't anywhere near a Walmart and I'm planning on getting the IMAX edition.

So just to be sure...the IMAX edition should have a slipcover right?

That is correct...my buddy called me and said he didn't get a slipcover from Walmart. I told him to go back and get one and the reason for not having one is they probably took them off so they didn't damage them putting them in their security cases.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post

My disc just has dialog at 1:48:25. I think the poster is referring to the EMP burst that Starscream emits while flying away. On my disc (IMAX), this happens at 1:48:48.

Overall this is by far the best surround mix I've ever heard. All of the weird digital sounds, shots, explosions, etc are mixed perfectly while dialog remains clear the entire time. Lots of bass too while not being overpowering. The audio engineers get an A+

I bought the constant AR 2.40 BluRay version. The EMP occures at 1:48.25. Listening to the DTS 'core' my NHT's, small subwofer and aurora bass shakers in my couch almost made the lights dim. Few other scenes like that as well, The Fallen on top of Pyramid pretty impressive too.

I went to Walmart first, they were sold out, didn't even realize the version with IMAX scenes was exclusive, would have asked if they had more copies if I'd known. Not to mad that I bought standard verison at BB, I saw it in IMAX and scenese were not that big of deal compared to Dark Knight.

The sound mix is crazy throughout, not since Die Hard 4 has my back got such a massage throughout a movie from the 30-40hz bass.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 125
The weird pricing ($14.25 for some reason) in Raleigh forced my hand to get the Wal-Mart version after all... so I'll be checking it out later tonight after a refresher re-watching the first movie for the first time on my new audio setup (watched it a bunch, but not since upgrading my audio receiver).

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Old 10-20-2009, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've been looking around the posts here, but I'm not settled on the deal. Should I expect my Blockbuster rental Bluray to be constant aspect ratio or bounce around like The Dark Knight?

The box and disc face don't say as far as I can see, and I want to know if I should set my masking or not?

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
Old 10-20-2009, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

I've been looking around the posts here, but I'm not settled on the deal. Should I expect my Blockbuster rental Bluray to be constant aspect ratio or bounce around like The Dark Knight?

The box and disc face don't say as far as I can see, and I want to know if I should set my masking or not?

The AR shifting version is wal-mart exclusive.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

The AR shifting version is wal-mart exclusive.

Thanks. As beautiful as the IMAX pictures were in The Dark Knight, I'd prefer one or the other. No digital black (gray) bars with masking rules.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
Old 10-20-2009, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Off topic comments deleted. Further off topic discussion will result in suspension or loss of ability to participate.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 10-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I just watched a bit more of this Blu-ray and it really is a visual audio masterpiece! My only beef, and its a small one, is the dialogue at times in the center channel seems a bit low in comparison to the rest of the channels. Not always, but from time to time. Anyone else feel that way?

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Old 10-20-2009, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Our Wal-Mart has several of the Big Screen Blu-Rays. I took it to the cashier, and it showed as $19.96. I'll check a couple more Wal-Marts after work tomorrow on the way home and see if they have a $13 ring-up. Got the PJ coupon by walking in and asking for it. They all had the slipcovers.

So, if the other two Wal-Marts I'll visit also ring up for $19.96, I'll have to decide if it's worth $16.96 + 8% sales tax = $18.32. IMO, probably not, which means it will stay in my Netflix queue and just be the regular 2.35 Blu-Ray.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Volume is really low on this one. Unfortunately I am the limits of my audio system to compensate. I think someone eeFd-up the audio mixing. Big let down for me.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

I just watched a bit more of this Blu-ray and it really is a visual audio masterpiece! My only beef, and its a small one, is the dialogue at times in the center channel seems a bit low in comparison to the rest of the channels. Not always, but from time to time. Anyone else feel that way?

The movie's DTS HD-MSTR track is encoded -5dbs softer than usual.
Probably a good thing, nobody likes a "hot" mix at near reference volumes.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Haven't played mine yet... but seeing people saying the audio is low compared to other releases.

I haven't found much commonality at all in any movie I've bought (Blu, HD, or DVD)... so I always find myself needing to readjust the volume for movies... so is this something different than that?

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:19 PM

Drove to Buffalo today to pick this up - BEYOND worth it. First off, they were selling it for $19.92 new (with the dollars being near parity its an amazing deal). Secondly, the image quality during the IMAX scenes is unreal - and how thankful am I that the non-imax stuff doesn't suffer any of the problems of The Dark Knight. Love or hate this movie (I love it), this is a brilliant Blu Ray!

hd-dvd vs blu-ray: whoever wins... we lose.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

That seems about right.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally home from work, I am one those who bought it after midnight but went to bed after getting it, tonight is the night, I can't wait to fire this thing up with my 120" screen. So long fellows it is movie time, I am glad I did not watch this in theater. Seems like it is worth waiting with all the positive reviews.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
Old 10-20-2009, 08:37 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

I played this one at the same level I played the first one and didn't notice any difference. (Unless the first one was soft as well)

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

It may be recorded soft, but is still a great soundtrack compared to TF1 on HDDVD or BluRay. I just popped it in to watch the opening scene while the wife was out for a haircut and WOW!! I did not really like it in the theater but after hearing what it just did to the walls in my house, I may grow to appreciate it
Old 10-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_6 View Post

It's just a small change in some dialogue between the twins in the beginning (when they are still in the ice cream truck mode). It's nothing major.

is that the part where they listed on yahoo that some people found that racist after people watching it at the theater ?

also since it says big screen edition is it video size mainly for project big screen tv sizes or will it fill my widescreen LCD as well at 1.78.1 ? doesnt say on the back of the blu ray the anamorphics video size i want to know 1st before opening

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
Old 10-20-2009, 09:07 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

also since it says big screen edition is it video size mainly for project big screen tv sizes or will it fill my widescreen LCD as well at 1.78.1 ? doesnt say on the back of the blu ray the anamorphics video size i want to know 1st before opening

The version you have is the one that contains the IMAX footage. Most of the movie will be in 2.35:1, but the IMAX scenes will fill your screen from top to bottom.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
We just got through watching the "Big Screen" Wally World edition of TRANSFORMERS II for the first time tonight. All I can say is WOW... OUTSTANDING print!!!!!!!!! The Audio and video were reference quality. Well worth the price of admission. The digital work was exceptional and seamless.

Kudos to Shia Labouf, it took a lot of guts for him to keep shooting in spite of his injury.

Go out and get em while they are hot because the shelves will be empty once the word gets out as to how exceptional this print is.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:35 PM

Liked: 11
Call me crazy, but I picked up both!
I just couldn't decide. To be fair, I also have both versions of the Dark Knight.

I haven't seen it in the theaters but plan to have folks over to see it this week.

First viewing tonight, theater for one.

120" Electric Motorized Remote Projection Screen Movie Projector Black Matt 16:9, Elite Screens R115WH1-WIDE ezFrame Fixed Projection Screen (115" 2.35:1 AR)(CineWhite), Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2-Channel THX Select2 Plus Certified Network A/V Receiver(Black), Klipsch Reference Series R-1650-C In-Wall/In...
Old 10-20-2009, 09:54 PM

The audio seemed to me around 2 X higher than I remember hearing in the theater. I thought my room was going to fall apart.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

The audio is really great here and the IMAX scenes look amazing, makes the regular bluray scenes look blah, espcially the end battle in Eygpt. It switches back and forth and man I wish the whole movie was like that. as far as the picture quality it looks great but not as good as the first movie. Though it might just be the first one was better shot i dont know.

This is a fun movie, but not nearly as good as the first one. I LOVED the first one, this one, the pacing feels wierd, it never slows down or builds up any thing. So I dont think theres as many good action scenes that are as good as some in the first movie. Even though I liked this movie, theres no focus. No real scenes of awe like there were in the first one. In the first one you could feel where Steven Spielberg may had some input, here theres none of that wonder or awe, just pure action. Still I would give it a 7.5/10 fun action flick. Video: 8/10 (Imax Scenes: 10/10) Audio 10/10

I found the picture too be good but not as sharp as the first one,
Old 10-20-2009, 09:58 PM

OMG ! Just fnished watching it with a few friends from work. We got it from Netflix; it was not the IMAX version. If I were Ralph Pots, I'd score it 100.
Great reference quality video every minute and the audio is top notch. My head hurts from the pounding my single PB Ultra 13 belted out in my 20x15 HT room. For anyone looking for some demo material this is it. But where to end a demo ? - the whole 2 1/2 hrs is demo-worthy

Bill

p.s. Big kudos to SVS for building a fantastic sub in the Ultra 13. I never heard it whimper, buzz, or bottom out once in this movie. ( I did not play at reference in a room my size. My volume was at -17 and that was plenty loud )
Old 10-20-2009, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I picked up the big screen edition from one of the local walmarts, and it is actually hard to get ahold of them.. In one of the stores it was sold out.. But it was worth the search for it... Picture and audio quality are outstanding... It isone of the best bds that I have seen....

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
Old 10-20-2009, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I fully agree with storman, this thing looks and sounds fantastic. There's not much more to say.