Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 1362 Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For those bitstreaming this title to be decoded in a hdmi 1.3 receiver what dial norm setting are you getting from your discs walmart imax vs. the standard? Usually DTS-HD is +4db. I am hearing -5db from the imax edition. Is the standard edition the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 1362 Old 10-20-2009, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I concur with others. Outstanding PQ & SQ. I did get the IMAX version & I had zero "low" sound issues. If anything it was too loud. The IMAX scenes are gorgeous!
post #783 of 1362 Old 10-20-2009, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I think it has outstanding AQ, but there's still something about it I think is lacking, I don't know how to say it. Like, watch Cloverfield or Quantum of Solace. When you hear metal smash (like with cars) or building chunks fly off in those movies, it's not soft at all... it's nice and loud, very defined. In TF2, it's just kind of low in volume and is replaced with a heavy sub. I have a headache now after watching it.

Still don't like the movie and still won't buy it (I rented it), but I still want to hear the commentary.
post #784 of 1362 Old 10-20-2009, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolstrategist View Post

Could you be just a little less vague?

First, some of us just bought the movie and second...

Some of us do not stare at or have within view our DVD counters while enjoying the movie. What is the effect and what should we expect based upon your experience with your equipment.

??? On every Blu-ray I own, the time counter comes up on the screen when you press pause or fast-forward...

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #785 of 1362 Old 10-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
didnt have as many imax scenes as TDK. verry good video quality but the audio was not balanced at all. had to turn up and down up and down many times through out the film.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #786 of 1362 Old 10-20-2009, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bujee1 View Post

To be fair, I also have both versions of the Dark Knight.

I didn't know there was another version of the Dark Knight on Blu ray? Not that I have a problem with the version I bought... but I thought there was only one (ratio changing only) version?

Meanwhile...

Watched Transformers 2 tonight... Agree it seemed a little long as I watched, and it wasn't as enjoyable story-wise as the first movie.. but still worth watching and better than I expected based upon some of the negative reviews.

Audio was a little low compared to how I normally set for my SAT box... but as I posted earlier, I find lots of movies I have to re-adjust so no biggie there.

Video was good... and I agree the IMAX scenes looked spectacular. You can't help but notice the changes, but it isn't distracting... it doesn't take you out of the film, but it does make you wish more of the film was shot in IMAX.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #787 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I didn't know there was another version of the Dark Knight on Blu ray? Not that I have a problem with the version I bought... but I thought there was only one (ratio changing only) version?

Meanwhile...

Watched Transformers 2 tonight... Agree it seemed a little long as I watched, and it wasn't as enjoyable story-wise as the first movie.. but still worth watching and better than I expected based upon some of the negative reviews.

Audio was a little low compared to how I normally set for my SAT box... but as I posted earlier, I find lots of movies I have to re-adjust so no biggie there.

Video was good... and I agree the IMAX scenes looked spectacular. You can't help but notice the changes, but it isn't distracting... it doesn't take you out of the film, but it does make you wish more of the film was shot in IMAX.

for some reason i enjoyed the film more at the theater and i didnt even see it at imax. i think they took off some parts with the twins cause i remember at the theater there was some hilarious scenes with them but cant remember which scenes it was exactly and i just got through watching the film and they didnt pop up. if they did i would have remembered it.

might have been one of the scenes where the twins went over board acting like home boys and stuff and some people got offended by that i remember reading that on yahoo after the movie was released at the theater.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #788 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 01:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For those in the Seattle area looking for the WW/IMAX version, the Renton store had a ton of them on the shelf (w/ slipcovers) as of noon earlier today (Tues 10/20/09)...

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
post #789 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 02:04 AM

So kinda new to this forum but lets just say I made the ultimate score earlier today. I was at walmart to get a copy of Transformers 2 on bluray. Got there and I couldn't find any. I talked to the person working there and they said they were in the lock up, so he went back to get one. I didn't care about the price so I didn't ask. Well got up to the front and to my amazement it ringed up @ 13 Dollars . I feel like going back tomorrow and buying like 10 to sell and make a decent profit off it.
post #790 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 03:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boominthetrunk View Post

So kinda new to this forum but lets just say I made the ultimate score earlier today. I was at walmart to get a copy of Transformers 2 on bluray. Got there and I couldn't find any. I talked to the person working there and they said they were in the lock up, so he went back to get one. I didn't care about the price so I didn't ask. Well got up to the front and to my amazement it ringed up @ 13 Dollars . I feel like going back tomorrow and buying like 10 to sell and make a decent profit off it.

Or perhaps you could leave them there so people can take advantage of the great deal themselves?
post #791 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 05:31 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bujee1 View Post

Call me crazy, but I picked up both!
I just couldn't decide. To be fair, I also have both versions of the Dark Knight.

I haven't seen it in the theaters but plan to have folks over to see it this week.

First viewing tonight, theater for one.

Let us know if the "big screen version" has to be turned up higher than the other version you had. Please use an SPL meter to if you have one.

Thanks

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #792 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 05:48 AM

Paramount did an excellent job with this one. I hope this bodes well for the upcoming release of Star Trek !

Bill
post #793 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 06:19 AM

I too bought the Walmart version (Rang up for $13.88 when I got it too! I'd own WAY more blurays if they were all priced like that!) and I feel that the audio isn't all there. I usually listen to movies around 38 on my Onkyo receiver. I turned it to 38 and while the vocals were good, there wasn't much of the "omph" from my sub like in most action flicks. I turned it to 45 and that fixed it. Not sure what happened to the audio, its great don't get me wrong, you just have to turn it up a little louder than normal
post #794 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boominthetrunk View Post

Thank you for your substantial insights into the technical quality of this release.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #795 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 06:50 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by storman View Post

OMG ! Just fnished watching it with a few friends from work. We got it from Netflix; it was not the IMAX version. If I were Ralph Pots, I'd score it 100.
Great reference quality video every minute and the audio is top notch. My head hurts from the pounding my single PB Ultra 13 belted out in my 20x15 HT room. For anyone looking for some demo material this is it. But where to end a demo ? - the whole 2 1/2 hrs is demo-worthy

Bill

p.s. Big kudos to SVS for building a fantastic sub in the Ultra 13. I never heard it whimper, buzz, or bottom out once in this movie. ( I did not play at reference in a room my size. My volume was at -17 and that was plenty loud )

I've got the older SVS Ultra with the 12" woofer and though it did not "whimper, buzz or bottom out" during this movie, it DID make the walls shake hard enough to make me wonder if my drywall was going to rip itself off the studs. The writing and acting may not be top-notch in this film (or its predecessor) but if you want great PQ and AQ and non-stop, roller-coaster action, this one can take your home theater to its limits!
post #796 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 07:49 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

didnt have as many imax scenes as TDK. verry good video quality but the audio was not balanced at all. had to turn up and down up and down many times through out the film.

Interesting. I thought it was very balanced, and never had to adjust the volume.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #797 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is the best buy limited edition gift set worth buying?

tony4k
post #798 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Hard to not put this BD in the running for release of the year so far regarding the quality.

Totally top notch audio and video. It is a truly totally immersive HT experience and what more can one ask in that regard? Well maybe the movie isn't the greatest but you know copies will fly off the shelf!
post #799 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

for some reason i enjoyed the film more at the theater and i didnt even see it at imax. i think they took off some parts with the twins cause i remember at the theater there was some hilarious scenes with them but cant remember which scenes it was exactly and i just got through watching the film and they didnt pop up. if they did i would have remembered it.

might have been one of the scenes where the twins went over board acting like home boys and stuff and some people got offended by that i remember reading that on yahoo after the movie was released at the theater.

No scenes of the twins (or anyone else for that matter) have been added or removed. You saw everything that was in the theatrical release.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #800 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I have the IMAX edition and something definitely seemed screwy with the audio besides having to turn it up louder. It's hard to explain, kind of like DNR for audio, nothing sounded full or crisp. I'm bitstreaming from a Pan. BD35 to an Onkyo 605 that was recently calibrated.
post #801 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 08:24 AM

So I dont know if anyone else has said this, but when I walked into my Best Buy today, all they had were the Big Screen Version of this movie. I thought it was exclusive to walmart.

Anybody see this?
post #802 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Can someone that has both the IMAX and regular BD editions compare the audio level? I have the IMAX version and I definitely need to turn up the volume more than usual to get the full effect.
post #803 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bases1616 View Post

Can someone that has both the IMAX and regular BD editions compare the audio level? I have the IMAX version and I definitely need to turn up the volume more than usual to get the full effect.

Please also try bitstream vs player decoded.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #804 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

I have the IMAX edition and something definitely seemed screwy with the audio besides having to turn it up louder. It's hard to explain, kind of like DNR for audio, nothing sounded full or crisp. I'm bitstreaming from a Pan. BD35 to an Onkyo 605 that was recently calibrated.

See, that's what I was saying. I still think there's really something missing in the audio. Just because it has heavy bass and uses the surrounds often does not make it a great, full audio experience. There is something missing for sure.
post #805 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

See, that's what I was saying. I still think there's really something missing in the audio. Just because it has heavy bass and uses the surrounds often does not make it a great, full audio experience. There is something missing for sure.

Are you bitstreaming or player-decoding?

post #806 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by bases1616 View Post

Xylon confirmed in his thread that there is a definate volume dif between the two, and Kris Deering has mentioned this as well. A few other posters on br.com that have both are saying the same thing. The question I have is the dif strictly a volume dif or is the WM audio track somehow lacking otherwise? I have my WM copy which I have not opened and will keep sealed until we get some confirmation on what the hell is going on here. Audio is the main reason I bought this film and I need the best version!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #807 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

Are you bitstreaming or player-decoding?

Player-decoding.

Here's what I mean: In a movie like Cloverfield, explosions have so much more to it than just the LFE's. You get the very crisp, fine crackles of what it hits. Or in The Departed when you hear glass smash you get a nice crinkle with it, or when guns fire you really get an extra "pop" with it. Again, not bass-heavy, but just nice and loud (in fact, watch the second scene I believe where DiCaprio is firing at a target on the default mix and you'll get what is similar to TF2, but change it to LPCM 5.1 and you get something that sounds much better). It's a very full, enriching sound along with whatever else is involved (surrounds, bass, etc.). In Transformers, when the robots hit each other and metal clanks, it's almost nothing. When the oncoming car hits them when they're being hoisted by the helicopter, it sounds like a simple nick. When guns fire, it sounds like a video game gunfire. Watch Quantum of Solace for the latter two examples in the opening scene. Very enforcing and impacting.

In this movie it's simply a lot of LFE's (along with a large array of sounds that they use like the EMP burst which I still think is awesome). Also, remember people's problem with the dialogue giving out in TF1 when Megan Fox says, "No matter what happens, I'm glad I got in that car with you."? I'm experiencing the same issues when we first see John Turturro at his little deli. His dialogue gives out a little bit.

I'm not saying the audio isn't "reference," but the way that it was recorded left me less impressed than other movies with the same kinds of effects such as cars crashing (or metal clanking in general), guns firing, or glass breaking.
post #808 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Xylon confirmed in his thread that there is a definate volume dif between the two, and Kris Deering has mentioned this as well. A few other posters on br.com that have both are saying the same thing. The question I have is the dif strictly a volume dif or is the WM audio track somehow lacking otherwise? I have my WM copy which I have not opened and will keep sealed until we get some confirmation on what the hell is going on here. Audio is the main reason I bought this film and I need the best version!

Didn't know about that. I guess whatever I posted here and in the audio thread should be with the knowledge that I have the constant aspect ratio version from Best Buy.

I noted no volume differences and an excellent track.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #809 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Guess it depends if it's just a level difference or not. If it's down a few dB, just turn it up
post #810 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Just throwing out an amateur guess, but perhaps the sound mix on the IMAX film was different from the 35 mm release, and perhaps what we got in the Big Screen Edition was not only the IMAX picture, but the IMAX sound mix.

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page