Forum Jump: 

post #841 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

bestbuy.com shows Widescreen, but not "Big Screen." Are you sure your BB copy says "Big Screen" (supposedly a Wal-Mart exclusive)?

I thought so too, but I bought the walmart edition yesterday and the one at my best buy had the same cover and said big screen edition on the back. it was weird, they were all over the store. Blu-ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

Brad what receiver and player are you using? Good info thanks!

Denon AVP-A1HDCI and Oppo-83.

Brad
post #843 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Approx how many minutes total of the movie open up to 1:78 on the WM "big screen" edition?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #844 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 04:20 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Approx how many minutes total of the movie open up to 1:78 on the WM "big screen" edition?

I think I read it was around 5 minutes.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #845 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:

So the imax version is 8db lower?

No. 4 dB max.

I checked how my receiver (Denon) treats different dialnorm settings. If a dialnorm setting of -31 dBfs (no attenuation) is used, there is no offset indication on the receiver display. Any value below -31 is displayed as an offset. In the case of the IMAX version of Transformers 2, the indication is "-4 dB offset", which is the most often used setting of -27 dBfs. Apparently the Denon does not use a "+" indication.

BTW, the first Transformers is encoded at -27 dBfs as well.
post #846 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I hope we get some confirmation here soon on just exactly what is going on with Big Screen Edition audio. Waiting to purchase one version (want the IMAX) but waiting too long might mean no more 'IMAX' editions available. Has anybody with both releases actually confirmed that they sound the same once level matched? Obviously a loss of dynamic range makes the IMAX version less desirable if that is indeed the case. Simply giving the volume dial a bit more is a non issue as long as that makes both versions equal.

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #847 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Has anybody with both releases actually confirmed that they sound the same once level matched?

A member in the other Transformers thread has both and posted he finds only a difference in volume. Turning up the IMAX version 4 dB makes it sound just like the standard version (according to him).
post #848 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Here are my findings.

The Non-Imax version is clearly 4db louder on every single scene, producing more LFE and just more overall sound.

So what I did was I tested the IMAX copy at -4db Master Volume and the other copy at -8db MV.

So basically they were equally as loud, but I think..."THINK" the NON-IMAX version just had a little more depth to the sound.

I by NO MEANS would run out and get rid of my IMAX version, but if the IMAX version gets a 98 for Audio I'd give the other version a 100.

Twitter @ Clefoodandbrews

post #849 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 04:44 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

I hope we get some confirmation here soon on just exactly what is going on with Big Screen Edition audio. Waiting to purchase one version (want the IMAX) but waiting too long might mean no more 'IMAX' editions available. Has anybody with both releases actually confirmed that they sound the same once level matched? Obviously a loss of dynamic range makes the IMAX version less desirable if that is indeed the case. Simply giving the volume dial a bit more is a non issue as long as that makes both versions equal.

Jason

FilmMixer just posted in the audio tier sticky that he's sent an email to the person who mixed the IMAX audio, asking for clarification. That may not help you right now, but an answer should be coming (a trusted answer).

Stephen.

post #850 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I think I read it was around 5 minutes.

Thanks sb1

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #851 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
All 3 Wal-Marts ring up the BD at $19.96, so even with a $3 coupon that's still $18.32 including tax. I think this will be a NetFlix when it's no longer a LONG WAIT, rather than a purchase.
post #852 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just had the Bifg SCreen Edition lock-up on my Oppo 83. It happened right after the forest fight.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #853 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

OK I just watched and rewatched and rewatched again and again the OPENING 2mins up to where the giant decipticon comes alive and produces some massive bass by pounding his fists into the ground.

I watched the IMAX version 4db louder than the other version which puts them on EQUAL loudness playing fields.

I HONESTLY cannot tell a difference in the quality of the sound between the two when they are equally matched. IF you watch them at the same volume of course the non-imax version will sound more powerful, but when equaled out they sound exactly alike, and my spl meter reads EXACTLY the same readings on both movies.

Where he pounds the ground and flips over the tubing I hit 116db on BOTH movies at that point. When the IMAX was played 4db louder.

I think the moral of my experiment is simple...if you want the Extra punch of the IMAX visuals then simply just turn up the volume 4db MORE and you will have the exact same audio experience as the other version.

post #854 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 05:46 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu View Post

OK I just watched and rewatched and rewatched again and again the OPENING 2mins up to where the giant decipticon comes alive and produces some massive bass by pounding his fists into the ground.

I watched the IMAX version 4db louder than the other version which puts them on EQUAL loudness playing fields.

I HONESTLY cannot tell a difference in the quality of the sound between the two when they are equally matched. IF you watch them at the same volume of course the non-imax version will sound more powerful, but when equaled out they sound exactly alike, and my spl meter reads EXACTLY the same readings on both movies.

Where he pounds the ground and flips over the tubing I hit 116db on BOTH movies at that point. When the IMAX was played 4db louder.

I think the moral of my experiment is simple...if you want the Extra punch of the IMAX visuals then simply just turn up the volume 4db MORE and you will have the exact same audio experience as the other version.

Thanks for your efforts.

Stephen.

post #855 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

What sucks is now I have to sell the damn Non-IMAX version on ebay!

The IMAX scenes of Prime in the woods and Devastator are worth the IMAX version. When it blows up to fill the screen it really makes a huge difference.

I wish I could get an ALL IMAX version really!

post #856 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

What sucks is now I have to sell the damn Non-IMAX version on ebay!

The IMAX scenes of Prime in the woods and Devastator are worth the IMAX version. When it blows up to fill the screen it really makes a huge difference.

I wish I could get an ALL IMAX version really!

Yes thanks for your efforts, I thought I was not the only home theater guy that has to make sure I get the most out of everything I watch! Have the IMAX version and will watch this weekend ,to bad my other sub is not here yet a single will have to do. Just goes to show home theater can become obsessive sometimes.
post #857 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes...I must have the BEST version too......It really is a sickness.

Or else my theater and PB-13 are just a waste of money!

post #858 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 06:09 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.MIKE View Post

Just goes to show home theater can become obsessive sometimes.

Noooooo, really?

Stephen.

post #859 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

I thought the forest scene was way too long.

Serving IMHD, IMConnect, FAVIA
post #860 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Yes...I must have the BEST version too......It really is a sickness.

Or else my theater and PB-13 are just a waste of money!

The best version is the one that doesn't have the changing AR's....

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #861 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumbo View Post

I thought the forest scene was way too long.

HEATHEN! Quick, grab the torches and pitchforks!

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #862 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 06:50 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Did Bay use the exact same shot of the Predator drone flying through the desert as he did in the first movie (time stamp 2:03:52)? Not really news worthy if so, but seems....cheap.

Stephen.

post #863 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Did Bay use the exact same shot of the Predator drone flying through the desert as he did in the first movie (time stamp 2:03:52)? Not really news worthy if so, but seems....cheap.

I feel like he did, too. I didn't know if I was supposed to ask it here but I noticed the exact same thing. Even the way the crap flies on the camera.
post #864 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

I feel like he did, too. I didn't know if I was supposed to ask it here but I noticed the exact same thing. Even the way the crap flies on the camera.

I'm way too lazy to go check it out, but I'm almost positive it's the same shot. Especially, like you said, with the "crap" flying on the lens...has to be the same footage. I wouldn't have EVER figured Micheal Bay would do something to save money in a movie.

Wait a minute.....what if this is simply a clue, left for us by the great Bay? Could this mean he's about to turn over a new leaf, start making dialogue driven classics while cutting costs and focusing on quality rather than quantity? Probably not.

Stephen.

post #865 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 135
The Sound: Huge bass!!!! Very powerfully recorded. Great sound effects, surround, dialog, etc..

The Video: PQ is over-sharpened, loads of crushed blacks and contrast in many scenes is lacking. Colors are pretty pumped up.. Other scenes look very good. Not the best video overall.... Pretty much what Josh said.

The movie: Huge piece of crap.

Have Netflix version

How come my college dorm never looked like his??

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #866 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:

I also think they repeat some of the same lines of dialogue recording in RotF. Sam's 'BUMBLEBEE' scream (from the beginning fighting the little robots repeated exactly during the end Egypt battle) and Megatron yelling out 'DECEPTICONS!' (once in the forest and once during the final battle). It must be just me but I notice this every time and it drives me nuts!

Dual Supporter as of January 4, 2007!
Feels so nice...
post #867 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 07:17 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffroy View Post

I also think they repeat some of the same lines of dialogue recording in RotF. Sam's 'BUMBLEBEE' scream (from the beginning fighting the little robots repeated exactly during the end Egypt battle) and Megatron yelling out 'DECEPTICONS!' (once in the forest and once during the final battle). It must be just me but I notice this every time and it drives me nuts!

I was wondering about that. I'm pretty sure there was several things used in this one that were just copied from the first. Wasn't he on a time crunch with this movie? Even if he was, I can't imagine those small things would have saved that much time. Then again, I have no idea how long audio mixing takes, nor how much he actually used from the first movie.

Stephen.

post #868 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 07:22 PM

I have to say that I really enjoyed ROTF this time around. I was a little let down when I watched it at the theaters. Regarding the audio, I just turned up the volume and problem solved.
post #869 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 07:29 PM

Liked: 12
I just envy all of you people who got this movie for just $ 12,16 and 20 bucks at your local Walmart. I spend $30 on this at my local Walmart 'cause I really liked the IMAX scenes in the Dark Knight and wanted to see the famous forest fight in all it's glory. Anyway, I enjoyed this bluray a lot. Great demo material.
post #870 of 1362 Old 10-21-2009, 07:32 PM

Just finished watching ROTF and liked it even more than in theaters. The problems I had with it then were downplayed (twins aren't on screen much, the humping dogs was just a quick shot) and this is one hell of a reference disc. A/V was perfect!
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page