Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1362 Old 08-22-2009, 03:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick99 View Post

Let's hope it doesn't get the IMAX print in the same way TDK did.

You know how the studios work, The Dark Knight is the best selling BD so far. So what was good for that release is good for this release.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1362 Old 08-22-2009, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

You know how the studios work, The Dark Knight is the best selling BD so far. So what was good for that release is good for this release.

Fortunately, this is Paramount and not Warner, so there's reason to hope. I don't think anyone would claim that TDK's sales are a result of using the IMAX release as the basis for the BD.
post #63 of 1362 Old 08-22-2009, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick99 View Post

Fortunately, this is Paramount and not Warner, so there's reason to hope. I don't think anyone would claim that TDK's sales are a result of using the IMAX release as the basis for the BD.

If they are using the IMAX master, it will not matter what studio it is, because its already baked into the master.

The problem with The Dark Knight, was that the IMAX master maybe didnt help the sales, but it it didnt hurt them either.

post #64 of 1362 Old 08-22-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Please let's not turn this into a review thread...if you want to comment on the film's content, please visit the existing thread in DVD, Movie etc discussion forum

This thread's purpose is to discuss the features/specs (at this point) and upon release the PQ/AQ.

Quoted again because all of this arguing will get the thread shut down.

John
post #65 of 1362 Old 08-22-2009, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

If they are using the IMAX master, it will not matter what studio it is, because its already baked into the master.

The problem with The Dark Knight, was that the IMAX master maybe didnt help the sales, but it it didnt hurt them either.

The point is that Paramount may have the sense not to use the IMAX version for the non-IMAX shots.
post #66 of 1362 Old 08-22-2009, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
It will be interested to see weather they have used the Imax shot on BD.

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #67 of 1362 Old 08-22-2009, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

It will be interested to see weather they have used the Imax shot on BD.

We know the IMAX shot scenes will be on the BD, probably cropped to 1.78.

Hopefully they're not taking the 2.35 35mm upscaled (and processed) to 70mm for IMAX and scaling that back down to 1920x817. Instead going directly 35mm -> 817p.

It seems really lazy to shortcut that.

IMAX DMR® starts by scanning, at the highest resolution possible, each individual frame of the 35mm film, converting them into digital images.
Next, image enhancement tools are used to optimize each image for printing on to 70mm film.
Some of the techniques used to enhance the digital image include sharpening, colour correction, grain removal and eliminating unsteadiness.
The enhanced digital signal is then recorded onto 15/70 film resulting in a visual presentation which, when projected on IMAX®'s projection system you have bright, crisp, steady and absolutely stunning images

So you take 35mm film, sharpen it, remove grain, upscale to 70mm. Then you use that to be scaled back down below 35mm to 817p on BD.

Yuck.
post #68 of 1362 Old 08-22-2009, 02:25 PM

Liked: 10
Wait so what was the problem with TDK using IMAX? I've never heard anyone complain about the BD until now. Is it because they didn't allow the option to view the whole movie without the expanding aspect ratio? Because everything looked perfect to me. Exactly how I saw it in theaters.
post #69 of 1362 Old 08-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieGuy View Post

Wait so what was the problem with TDK using IMAX? I've never heard anyone complain about the BD until now. Is it because they didn't allow the option to view the whole movie without the expanding aspect ratio? Because everything looked perfect to me. Exactly how I saw it in theaters.

They used the blown up IMAX print of the 35mm scenes for The Dark Knight Blu-ray which led to less than stellar picture quality for the non-IMAX sections.

We all remember this.

Basically the IMAX scenes were all transferred pristinely, but the 35mm scenes were all stretched and full of EE from not using the original 35mm master.
post #70 of 1362 Old 08-22-2009, 02:41 PM

Ah, I see. Didn't notice that before.
post #71 of 1362 Old 08-22-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:

Some of the techniques used to enhance the digital image include sharpening , colour correction , grain removal and eliminating unsteadiness .

See above for my thoughts.
post #72 of 1362 Old 08-23-2009, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 15
Absolutely no film is a blind buy for me, but I'll own this one on release date. Transformers was the first BR disk I ever purchased and this will be a welcome addition to the collection. I saw this in the theaters and I was completely entertained. I see plenty of bashing here and since I also say "this film, despite it's gross, isn't good" if I don't like something, I'm not going to bust on the folks here who didn't like it. While this film isn't for everyone, $800+ million sure makes me wonder if it ain't for most anyhow.

I was very impressed with the CG work in the first movie and how well they did the mixed scenes with both live actors and bots. I'd confess there might have been a few scenes that were not quite as seamless in this but I can think of only one off the top of my head. I didn't think they did the bedroom scene with Isabel Lucas very well. From memory, I can't put a finger on what it was about that I disliked but between the motion, and colors there, I just didn't think that was on a par with the rest of the CG work in the film.

As for Michael Bay, there's plenty of folks who second guess the guy but I for one love his movies. The Rock, Pearl Harbor, Transformers 1/2, etc. I wasn't a big fan of Armageddon but ya can't win em all. His movies in general are all well done on BR disk. Sound is great on all of them. They're generally upbeat in story, even if they are rather simple.

For all these folks who don't like the guy, it's amazing how many of em will go see his movies just for that reason. Gee, let's go see how bad it is. :As Michael laughs all the way to the bank:

About the only thing that would delay my purchase on this is if NetFlix sends it to me on release day. Then I'd wait and throw it on my next Amazon order. Otherwise, it comes alone. That and the newest Star Trek the next month.
post #73 of 1362 Old 08-23-2009, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Not the good story line but the CGI was the top notch but this BD is absolutely the reference for sound and picture,I watched in the theater this one and G.I.JOE.were the great surround.
post #74 of 1362 Old 08-25-2009, 03:07 AM

Liked: 50
Uk art, I like it better

post #75 of 1362 Old 08-25-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I guess this movie isn't for everyone, but I loved it. Very entertaining, and I can't wait to get this release. It will be watched repeatedly in my home.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #76 of 1362 Old 08-25-2009, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 695
I have almost no doubt that T2 will be the top selling home video release of 2009. Whether I buy it or not....

Honestly, I did not love the first one, and I have heard the second one is even worse (storyline) but I may pick it up anyway just for the PQ/AQ factor (and to watch Megan Fox in HD glory)
post #77 of 1362 Old 08-25-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Uk art, I like it better

I'll make my own then!

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #78 of 1362 Old 08-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Uk art, I like it better

+1, looks good!

Quote:
I guess this movie isn't for everyone

Understatement of the thread Why anyone goes to watch a movie about giant alien robots and comes away dissapointed because the story is not deep enough, or characters to shallow is...well, just funny. If you go into this time of film expecting it to be "thought provoking" you thought wrong. This is just popcorn munching good eye and ear candy!
post #79 of 1362 Old 08-25-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

(and to watch Megan Fox in HD glory)

And she better not try any kind of "edge enhancement" for the third movie!

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #80 of 1362 Old 08-25-2009, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC2 View Post

Can we talk about exclamation points? This title is not worthy of 4 exclamation points in it's title. I am not sure it is worth any, frankly, but four is so extremely excessive, and we don't need to be wasting our valuable exclamation point resources. When this thread has more !'s than the LOTR thread in the title, then I think we can agree things are out of hand.

Masterpiece Theater fans, ROTF fans, are not.

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
post #81 of 1362 Old 08-25-2009, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htdude14 View Post

+1, looks good!

Understatement of the thread Why anyone goes to watch a movie about giant alien robots and comes away dissapointed because the story is not deep enough, or characters to shallow is...well, just funny. If you go into this time of film expecting it to be "thought provoking" you thought wrong. This is just popcorn munching good eye and ear candy!

Has nothing to do with that. This movie along with Fast & Furious both tremendously failed even as popcorn flicks. I started to get uneasy two hours into this movie. The CGI felt inferior to the first one (not the overall effects, but the way that the robots blended with everything in real life) and there were too many head-scratching and cringe-worthy moments to ever even want to see it again. This was a crap movie that I will still drool over some of the demo material that they will showcase when I walk into Best Buy (the forest scene in particular).

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000
post #82 of 1362 Old 08-25-2009, 10:16 PM

Blind buy day 1 for me as well!!! Never saw it in theatres but T1 is still a huge fav of mine.

CURRENT OPERATION: 2.0
XBLive!: DJBeanPole
POWERPROGRESS
post #83 of 1362 Old 08-26-2009, 02:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBeanPole View Post

Blind buy day 1 for me as well!!! Never saw it in theatres but T1 is still a huge fav of mine.

TF1 is a huge favorite of mine! I loved the TF2 trailers and TV spots, bought a ticket a week in advance for a midnight showing, and waited outside for almost two hours eagerly awaiting this one. I was so disappointed that even a reference quality BD won't get a rent from me, which is very unfortunate.

The only way I ever buy this movie is if I can get it as part of a Buy 2 Get 1 Free when there's nothing else I want, and/or if there's a third Transformers movie that I really like and want but makes the series feel incomplete without the second one.

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000
post #84 of 1362 Old 08-26-2009, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I don't get all the complaints about TDK. I saw it again last weekend, looked great too me. I mean it wasn't a bright colorful movie and never meant to me, it was good as it could be. I'm sure there are a bit of EE but I didn't noticed any, ratio changes was seamless and not really bothersome.
post #85 of 1362 Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

I don't get all the complaints about TDK. I saw it again last weekend, looked great too me. I mean it wasn't a bright colorful movie and never meant to me, it was good as it could be. I'm sure there are a bit of EE but I didn't noticed any, ratio changes was seamless and not really bothersome.

it's because you are human! the rest of the members here must have supervision or something cause i don't notice anything wrong with TDK either. so you are not alone
post #86 of 1362 Old 08-26-2009, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukerock12 View Post

it's because you are human! the rest of the members here must have supervision or something cause i don't notice anything wrong with TDK either. so you are not alone

It has nothing to do with supervision. Once you are familiar with edge enhancement its very easy to spot.
post #87 of 1362 Old 08-26-2009, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

It has nothing to do with supervision. Once you are familiar with edge enhancement its very easy to spot.

I know what EE is, I can clearly see it on some blurays and most DVDS. TDK wasn't nearly noticeable and think most people exaggerate it. Maybe on a 100+ inch screen but on my 60inch, I really didn't even see it.
post #88 of 1362 Old 08-26-2009, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Quote:

I'm kinda glad I'm not familiar with it

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #89 of 1362 Old 08-26-2009, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

I know what EE is, I can clearly see it on some blurays and most DVDS. TDK wasn't nearly noticeable and think most people exaggerate it. Maybe on a 100+ inch screen but on my 60inch, I really didn't even see it.

If you work for some time with edge enhancement you learn to see how it effect the entire image and not just the edges. It distort image information over the entire image. To many just look for halos.

So while a big screen always help to spot issues. You can see EE on much smaller screens.
post #90 of 1362 Old 08-26-2009, 07:33 AM
Toe

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 2283
Quote:

I dont agree with that. I am familiar with EE and it is not something that usually stands out to me and I need to look for it usually to see it. Everyone is dif though as far as how much this bothers them and how noticable it is which I respect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page