Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 1362 Old 11-22-2009, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well I ment the bass & surround effect of the movie,just the center was a little hard to understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1362 Old 11-22-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Just saw this movie, and am I happy that I rented it. This is the definition of how you shouldnt make a sequel.

PQ seems nice on the other hand.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #1353 of 1362 Old 11-22-2009, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
^^^Couldn't agree more. The movie was beyond cheesy. Good thing they didn't show her big toe errrrrr thumb.

Picture quality was good.

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
post #1354 of 1362 Old 11-22-2009, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post

How can one rate sound quality an A+ when the most important aspect of the sound (the dialogue) is hard to hear?

The less dialogue I have to listen to from this film, the better.
post #1355 of 1362 Old 11-25-2009, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I'm surprised by these "hard to hear the dialogue" comments (though I don't doubt that these experiences occurred). I was able to hear the dialogue in this movie pretty well (considering the roasting I got in the Star Trek thread where I was one of a few that complained that dialogue and associated sound was on the low side).

The TF2 audio is like the polar opposite to ST audio, per my experiences with the movies on my gear. ST required a substantial boost of my volume knob to make it appropriately loud, and then a twist more on top of that to bring the dialogue level to a natural level. TF2, otoh, was just effortlessly loud on my system with no special adjustment at the volume knob, whatsoever. Dialog level just always came in at an easy level for me to pick-up. The peaks were so loud at points, that I could hear it clipping the line level somewhere in my chain (ticking sounds), sometimes in tune to the ripple of extreme low bass signals.

Though there is much articulation and rich synthesizer work for myriad robot-related sounds, the sound mix still had a strange sense, imo. It's like the soundscape was kept intentionally sparse, so that the many robot zings and boings have complete dominance. Bullet fire and artillery sounds were pleasingly detailed and dynamic, though. The weird part is when you hear all of these details, but then you see a collapsing building/structure that is seemingly absent from the sound. It's like all of the "mundane" ambient sound that should accompany all of the collateral destruction and damage you see on the screen have been seriously attenuated or muted right out. It's kind of a weird effect.

Strangely, I also noted instances where explosions and loud crashes were aggressively compressed and padded down (perhaps, to protect the precious ears of the kiddies?...just guessing). It's kind of like in that Indiana Jones movie where something happens that should have been deafeningly loud (figuratively) wasn't loud at all. It was no louder than the "medium" stuff that happened before it and after the event.

Then there is a weird layering of different sounds at different levels. It's like a perceptually "quiet" sound comes out perfectly clear right next to another sound that perceptually should utterly bury anything else short of a nuclear explosion. It's kind of hard to describe. It doesn't sound like a classic dynamic compression of a wide range soundtrack, but it is like the sound engineer took the individual sounds and purposely compiled them within a relatively narrow dynamic range. I don't want to poo-poo such a technique, because obviously it has merits and justifications for certain scenarios or to handle particular problems, but this incarnation of it just sounds a bit odd to me. Certainly, that is the realm of the sound-obsessive, though. The average person would never pick up on this as an "issue", rather just be pleased at how crisp, articulated, and windowed the soundtrack is. Nothing wrong with that. If it gives an enjoyable result, that would seem to be a successful objective. Many here seem satisfied with the TF2 soundtrack, so I would not beg to differ. It is definitely a high-performance audio work that really challenges the extremes of spectrum and dynamics.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #1356 of 1362 Old 11-25-2009, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicBlak View Post

But I have to emphatically disagree with the several posts above that had no issue with the racial depictions. As a black man myself, I grow increasingly tired of and insulted by Michael Bay's apparent fixation with these images. For me, it goes all the way back to The Rock; there's almost always some example of a loud, ignorant, and/or foul-mouthed person of color where it has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the story itself. Totally unnecessary. (Sure, The Twins had no physical ethnicity depicted, but I think any reasonable person can see what they were going for.) These tent-pole movies sell themselves--there's simply no reason to feel compelled to try to "relate to" or target specific segments of the audience in that manner. It's gotten to the point where if it's an MB flick, you're guaranteed two things: ethnic stereotypes and highway chases, both of which have become truly tired. It's nearly 2010 already... Grow up, Mike!

I hear where you are coming from on that observation. I picked up on it, too. As I watched the "ghetto-bot" twins, I thought, "I just know somebody is going to find offense by these personalities. This is kind of just asking for it." It was kind of like a cheap version of injecting the playful exchange between Martin Lawrence and Will Smith w/o actually putting them in the movie. I say "cheap", because in TF2, it was like a grating mockery of the ML and WS formula, while watching ML and WS go at it is genuinely entertaining dialogue, imo. Given that Bay has actually worked with these 2 actors on major projects, it is a shame he could have the impression this version of the formula would be acceptable (or maybe he thought the demographic of his audience would not notice?).

Another subtle thing (this may be more of a stretch), is the way those little decepticon thingies talk...like the broken English of an Asian stereotype? I dunno...that's what popped into my head for those scenes. I certainly wasn't looking for it.

post #1357 of 1362 Old 11-25-2009, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Isnt most Bay movies full of stereotype sidekicks?

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #1358 of 1362 Old 11-25-2009, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

The TF2 audio is like the polar opposite to ST audio, per my experiences with the movies on my gear. ST required a substantial boost of my volume knob to make it appropriately loud, and then a twist more on top of that to bring the dialogue level to a natural level. TF2, otoh, was just effortlessly loud on my system with no special adjustment at the volume knob, whatsoever. Dialog level just always came in at an easy level for me to pick-up.

What this boils down to is that the Transformers disc is set for an across-the-board louder default volume. It has nothing to do with the dialogue levels in the mix. Everything is louder.

OK, great, you didn't have to turn your receiver's volume knob for this one. Terrific. But that doesn't make the Star Trek soundtrack inferior just because it's set for a 4 dB lower default volume.

Louder is not the same thing as "better."

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #1359 of 1362 Old 11-25-2009, 09:58 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 129
The audio in TF2 was just so chaotic nearly the entire length of the movie. Great sound, especially to someone like me who is much more focused on the audio presentation than the video, but there were times when even I would think enough is enough.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #1360 of 1362 Old 11-25-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

What this boils down to is that the Transformers disc is set for an across-the-board louder default volume. It has nothing to do with the dialogue levels in the mix. Everything is louder.

OK, great, you didn't have to turn your receiver's volume knob for this one. Terrific. But that doesn't make the Star Trek soundtrack inferior just because it's set for a 4 dB lower default volume.

Louder is not the same thing as "better."

Take it easy there! There was never an intent to imply the ST audio was "inferior". I'm simply talking about how the 2 soundtracks are so different wrt volume knob settings. I actually think the ST soundtrack is a more sophisticated piece of work. If it had just a step less attenuation, I think it would have been perfect. I'm not saying it should be as "loud" as TF2, because imo, that was probably just a step too much in the other extreme. Somewhere in the middle there must be a sweetspot. That's all I'm wishing for.

Interpreting what someone says and then responding is not the same thing as reflexive reaction.

post #1361 of 1362 Old 03-08-2011, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Interesting read for those concerning the quality of the film.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article...3946&gt1=28101
post #1362 of 1362 Old 03-08-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMo View Post

Interesting read for those concerning the quality of the film.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article...3946&gt1=28101

Err thanks, sane people figured that out two years ago.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page