Gladiator Master Blu-ray Comparison and Review Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1531 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
42Plasmaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDarrylR View Post

Why not check it out for yourself in your room and form your own opinion?

Wow, what a good idea.
Think for yourself and make your own conclusions.
Also, try to sit back and enjoy the movie and leave the microscope in the lab.
If there is a real obvious flaw, it will pop out without you LOOKING for it.

2014
42Plasmaman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1532 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kram Sacul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It can be argued that the best available version that you can buy is the previous dvd. Less EE, no DNR is visible, no scratch removal artifacts, no huge jump in quality between theatrical and extended scenes, etc. Of course it's a dvd but like the dvd version of Gangs of New York it hides a lot of ugliness.
Kram Sacul is offline  
post #1533 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fpconvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: w. mass
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

You are missing the point. This release is a slap in the face to the fans who have already shelled out $500 Million dollars on theater tickets and DVD editions of this film and the studio can't even be trusted to spend $100,000 to make the Blu-Ray look as good as it should have.

Buying movies when they disrespect us to this degree just encourages that behavior.

Maybe they should take the crappy old DVD transfer for Saving Private Ryan and destroy that next?

As long as its at least an incremental improvement over the DVD it's well worth your money though, right?

Shame on you and everyone else who knows just how bad these issues are and yet forks your dollars anyway. Real fans of these movies don't just buy whatever slop these jerks shovel into the trough.

Just so were clear on this...it is my money.
fpconvert is offline  
post #1534 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Axel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Posts: 4,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDarrylR View Post

Why not check it out for yourself in your room and form your own opinion?

I can be rather picky when in comes to PQ.
I may try Netflix-ing it first.
____
Axel

Axel is offline  
post #1535 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RDarrylR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

I can be rather picky when in comes to PQ.
I may try Netflix-ing it first.
____
Axel

Sure - renting it is a great option too. The main thing is to look at it yourself.
RDarrylR is offline  
post #1536 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fpconvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: w. mass
Posts: 1,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

It can be argued that the best available version that you can buy is the previous dvd. Less EE, no DNR is visible, no scratch removal artifacts, no huge jump in quality between theatrical and extended scenes, etc. Of course it's a dvd but like the dvd version of Gangs of New York it hides a lot of ugliness.

I did compare it to the dvd and the BEV and to the c4...all had ee to my eyes. You can argue as to extent but I see it in all screenshots, however, in motion it is different than going frame by frame. I also did not see huge jumps in quality between regular and extended. I will not deny there are differences.
fpconvert is offline  
post #1537 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Senior Member
 
chillspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

This IS the best release we have to date so we can speculate that they MAY do a remaster or just buy the BEST one AVAILABLE TODAY and enjoy the movie.

I did buy the best one available today...that was the one I bought back in 2001 on DVD.

Eric

My Stuff: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 w/  Ideal-Lume Bias Lighting, Yamaha RX-V3800, Oppo BDP-103D

chillspace is online now  
post #1538 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Favelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 3,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDarrylR View Post

Why not check it out for yourself in your room and form your own opinion?

Can you return it once its open though?

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
Favelle is offline  
post #1539 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Favelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 3,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post


This IS the best release we have to date so we can speculate that they MAY do a remaster or just buy the BEST one AVAILABLE TODAY and enjoy the movie.

That's fine if it was the only movie in the history of cinema to watch. I have hundreds (thousands) of movies I could watch. I didn't watch it for 8 years since I watched the DVD.....was I STARVING to watch it during those 8 years? Nope. Plenty of other films with decent transfers I could watch.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
Favelle is offline  
post #1540 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 07:14 PM
 
van der graaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

No, not really, I mean if you're a fan of the film and on the fence because of the ongoing debate, I'd say get the WHOLE thing

It is quite a bit better than both of the DVDs I own.

Wow...you really did miss the point. You cannot "get the WHOLE thing " because they ERASED parts of the film on the blu-ray through filtering, scratch removal, etc...Hence, My "MOST" comment
van der graaf is offline  
post #1541 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RDarrylR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post

Can you return it once its open though?

Someone on here said they did. If someone has already bought though they could rent before opening.
RDarrylR is offline  
post #1542 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cakefoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Wow, what a good idea.
Think for yourself and make your own conclusions.
Also, try to sit back and enjoy the movie and leave the microscope in the lab.
If there is a real obvious flaw, it will pop out without you LOOKING for it.

You're basically trying to make people feel guilty for having viewing arrangements that allow them to see more detail than you. You people (the apologists) think we look for the flaws and are happy that we found them- but in reality, we look for beauty and are upset that it was scrubbed away and sharpened.

A movie can be soft and still be forgivable, if that was just the technical limitation of the equipment or the artistic direction of the film-maker. But when the lacking detail is not a natural limitation or artistic decision, but rather the result of poor digital filtering, then people with proper viewing distances are inevitably going to disapprove because the smudging, the ringing, and the bloating of pixels is obvious when you're sitting at a proper 1080p viewing distance. As I said, people sit this close/buy these large screens so they can see the BEAUTY of a fine Blu-ray

Get off this kick about people wanting to overanalyze things.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

cakefoo is offline  
post #1543 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cakefoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

This IS the best release we have to date so we can speculate that they MAY do a remaster or just buy the BEST one AVAILABLE TODAY and enjoy the movie.

You're referring to the HDTV version, right?

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

cakefoo is offline  
post #1544 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadowrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post

Can you return it once its open though?

That's actually a good idea. Return opened copies to Best Buy telling them about the missing VFX shots and make a general statement like "It's not HD".
I'm not making fun. With any luck BB would pressure Paramount to fix it...maybe.

This division of "it looks terrible"/"it's good enough, buy it" is so stupid. No it doesn't look terrible, and not it's not good enough...can we get a mulligan? Why are so many people opposed to asking for that?

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
shadowrage is offline  
post #1545 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RDarrylR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

You're referring to the HDTV version, right?

You can buy some UK TV version?
RDarrylR is offline  
post #1546 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
s2mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

It can be argued that the best available version that you can buy is the previous dvd. Less EE, no DNR is visible, no scratch removal artifacts, no huge jump in quality between theatrical and extended scenes, etc. Of course it's a dvd but like the dvd version of Gangs of New York it hides a lot of ugliness.

Theres less EE and DNR but theres also limited detail, no HD depth, and a pretty run-of-the-mill soundtrack.

Just saying.
s2mikey is offline  
post #1547 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadowrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post

Theres less EE and DNR but theres also limited detail, no HD depth

What's funny is that the second part can apply to either home media version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post

and a pretty run-of-the-mill soundtrack.

Are you sure? I just compared the two tracks 2 days ago, and the DTS-ES soundtrack was keeping pace with DTS-MA version. I'm still curious as to whether or not they are the same mix(full disclosure - it wasn't an in depth comparison).

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
shadowrage is offline  
post #1548 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mpalmieri1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasant Valley, NY
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Shame on you and everyone else who knows just how bad these issues are and yet forks your dollars anyway. Real fans of these movies don't just buy whatever slop these jerks shovel into the trough.

Sorry, I feel that it was a good enough improvement over the DVD to warrent a purchase. I'm happy with the quality of it. Shame on me? I'm not a REAL fan? Slap in the face? You'd think people were actually fighting over something of importance with the vernacular you are using.

Heard people complain, thought a out not purchasing, purchased it anyhow, I'm happy that I actually did purchase it. I don't understand why it is an issue for me to relay my opinion to others who might be on the fence just as others have stated the negative aspects. What's wrong with purchasing it if you've already been informed there might be an issue? Why lob personal attacks at me?

And seriously you're going to question my "fanhood"? Get a life you nerd.

mpalmieri1203 is offline  
post #1549 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cakefoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDarrylR View Post

You can buy some UK TV version?

You gotta be flexible with me when I'm using humor

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

cakefoo is offline  
post #1550 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mpalmieri1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasant Valley, NY
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

1. The studios owe no one anything.
2. No one is forced to buy their product. It's a CHOICE.
3. They are a business and main objective is getting the largest margin on their investment.


You can choose to buy or not buy.
There is no arm twisting or a gun held to anyones head to purchase their product.

If the revenue numbers turn out good on this release, I suspect they will not do a remaster as it would cut in to their ROI.
I think this uproar of protest to not buy a movie will just be a lesson to the studios to do a better transfer for future releases.
If anything, they have heard the crys of mediocre transfers and will consider to do better on future releases.




People have different standards, setups and expectations and also enjoy the story of the movie. Just because some are sensitive to these details does not mean the majority are affected or even notice.

This IS the best release we have to date so we can speculate that they MAY do a remaster or just buy the BEST one AVAILABLE TODAY and enjoy the movie.

Agreed.

mpalmieri1203 is offline  
post #1551 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mpalmieri1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasant Valley, NY
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

You're referring to the HDTV version, right?

Playing back the HDTV copy I have on my Mac Mini and comparing it to the BD...It is NO CONTEST the BD is 100% superior in motion on my setup.

mpalmieri1203 is offline  
post #1552 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cakefoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

Playing back the HDTV copy I have on my Mac Mini and comparing it to the BD...It is NO CONTEST the BD is 100% superior in motion on my setup.

What's the issue- compression artifacts?

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

cakefoo is offline  
post #1553 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mpalmieri1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasant Valley, NY
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

What's the issue- compression artifacts?

Only in certain dark scenes, and only if you get really close. The BD beats the computer version in that people look waxy, and have a bit of a blurred motion when they move, like something you'd see on some poorly shot BBC show.

mpalmieri1203 is offline  
post #1554 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

You're basically trying to make people feel guilty for having viewing arrangements that allow them to see more detail than you. You people (the apologists) think we look for the flaws and are happy that we found them- but in reality, we look for beauty and are upset that it was scrubbed away and sharpened.

A movie can be soft and still be forgivable, if that was just the technical limitation of the equipment or the artistic direction of the film-maker. But when the lacking detail is not a natural limitation or artistic decision, but rather the result of poor digital filtering, then people with proper viewing distances are inevitably going to disapprove because the smudging, the ringing, and the bloating of pixels is obvious when you're sitting at a proper 1080p viewing distance. As I said, people sit this close/buy these large screens so they can see the BEAUTY of a fine Blu-ray

Get off this kick about people wanting to overanalyze things.

Exactly. Quite a few people here have put some dollars into their setups, sit the proper distance away from their calibrated displays and can clearly see these problems.

Yes, if none of this applies to you and you feel the Blu version is a real upgrade for your dollars then have at it.

But don't try to make those of us who can clearly see these defects feel like we are being picky. We aren't, we can just see the problems plain as day.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #1555 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cakefoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

Only in certain dark scenes, and only if you get really close. The BD beats the computer version in that people look waxy, and have a bit of a blurred motion when they move, like something you'd see on some poorly shot BBC show.

Sounds like what happens during framerate conversion across regions.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

cakefoo is offline  
post #1556 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
msgohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

Only in certain dark scenes, and only if you get really close. The BD beats the computer version in that people look waxy, and have a bit of a blurred motion when they move, like something you'd see on some poorly shot BBC show.

What HD broadcast do you have...? The BEV displays nothing of the sort; I watched it the other day.
msgohan is offline  
post #1557 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blasst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: So.California
Posts: 3,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

....we can just see the problems plain as day.


I've stated earlier that I have 20/10 vision, born with it, and enjoy using it. I don't think I'm better than someone whose vision is not as sharp.

This is what gave me a rent and not a buy on this title.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
Blasst is offline  
post #1558 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mpalmieri1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasant Valley, NY
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Exactly. Quite a few people here have put some dollars into their setups, sit the proper distance away from their calibrated displays and can clearly see these problems.

Yes, if none of this applies to you and you feel the Blu version is a real upgrade for your dollars then have at it.

But don't try to make those of us who can clearly see these defects feel like we are being picky. We aren't, we can just see the problems plain as day.

I don't think peopel are saying those who are complaining are being picky or making things up. But I had in my mind the image of this disc looking like or worse than the DVD. Upon my viewing I found it to be BETTER than the DVD. And I'm satisfied with my purchase.

Since this is discussion of the disc it is important to get all of the varied opinions posted up.

mpalmieri1203 is offline  
post #1559 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 08:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

I don't think peopel are saying those who are complaining are being picky or making things up. But I had in my mind the image of this disc looking like or worse than the DVD. Upon my viewing I found it to be BETTER than the DVD. And I'm satisfied with my purchase.

Since this is discussion of the disc it is important to get all of the varied opinions posted up.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, it is particularly painful to see Braveheart get such a great treatment and see Gladiator (a better movie IMO) get the warmed over treatment. I've been waiting for this movie to come out on Blu for four years now and it looks like I'll be waiting another four years for a worthwhile edition to release.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #1560 of 2851 Old 09-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
tvine2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: vermont
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert View Post

He doesn't make any reference to the equipment he used to review the disc with.

i don't think equipment gonna help this bd.if the disc is crap to begin with is real good equipment going to make the disc look better?sounds like magic to me.
tvine2000 is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off