Gladiator Master Blu-ray Comparison and Review Thread - Page 92 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2731 of 2851 Old 12-07-2010, 02:37 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Quickster2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Davisburg, MI
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickster2 View Post

Mine has been gone six weeks and no replacement back to me FYI. What # are you calling to follow up please?

Mine finally came today. Almost 7 weeks FYI.
Quickster2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2732 of 2851 Old 12-07-2010, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Had no idea this was even out. Ordered from Amazon immediately. Can't wait. One of my absolutely favorite films, and a reminder of why I love movies.

Just couldn't bring myself to buy the original BD release. Glad I didn't.
WilliamG is offline  
post #2733 of 2851 Old 12-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Member
 
andrewm2556's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fyi that I contacted Newegg for RMA (I hadn't removed shrink wrap) explaining the August remaster release, and they agreed to refund the purchase without returning. Very nice of them. :^) Now to start the return to Paramount.

Andrew
andrewm2556 is offline  
post #2734 of 2851 Old 12-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Member
 
tilallr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Great White North
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just so you all know ... I ordered another Gladiator from Amazon as a Christmas present. Received a White Labeled UPC . Good news though it was the one without the 2-disc label above the paramount logo. So still the 4K remaster. So they may not send you a yellow UPC version. But they are still sending at least a 4K edition in one shape or another.

TIL ALL ARE ONE
tilallr1 is online now  
post #2735 of 2851 Old 12-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
DeAd MiKe 187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
A couple of months ago, all of the 'Gladiator' releases at my local Target had the yellow UPC. Now, they all have the white UPC. It seems you guys are getting the white UPC versions now, too. Wow, just when I was looking forward to getting this...
DeAd MiKe 187 is offline  
post #2736 of 2851 Old 12-16-2010, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Test123455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okie dokie, so ive always wanted Gladiator and Braveheart on Blu-ray, and after waiting ages for them to lower in price they have not. So i ordered them.

Anyway, is there any final, definitive way to figure out if Gladiator is the remastered version or not?

Thanks so much!
Test123455 is offline  
post #2737 of 2851 Old 12-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
Stinky-Dinkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Flip the disc over and look at the tiny code near the inner ring. If it ends in B1R1 it's the old version and needs to be replaced. If it ends in anything else it's the new remaster.
Stinky-Dinkins is offline  
post #2738 of 2851 Old 12-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Senior Member
 
65T500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: N.Y. Area
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test123455 View Post

Okie dokie, so ive always wanted Gladiator and Braveheart on Blu-ray, and after waiting ages for them to lower in price they have not. So i ordered them.

Anyway, is there any final, definitive way to figure out if Gladiator is the remastered version or not?

Thanks so much!


Call 1 888 889 9456 and ask. Yesterday she told me if I have the yellow UPC label it is the remastered version.
65T500 is offline  
post #2739 of 2851 Old 12-17-2010, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
Stinky-Dinkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Several people in Canada have bought the yellow UPC version only to have it contain the old version.

The easiest way is to just look at the code.
Stinky-Dinkins is offline  
post #2740 of 2851 Old 12-22-2010, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CharlesJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by cky View Post

Just got my copy in and it looks amazing. Only took about 2 weeks. Now i gotta find out how to send it my Saving Private Ryan.

Since this is here, is there an issue with Saving Private Ryan?
CharlesJ is offline  
post #2741 of 2851 Old 12-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
 
LRZNole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got my replacement disc in just over a week.
LRZNole is offline  
post #2742 of 2851 Old 12-23-2010, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gekkou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post

Since this is here, is there an issue with Saving Private Ryan?

The initial shipment had an issue with audio sync. It was then quickly pulled from stores and replaced with a fixed version within a week or so.

"Out of the mists of history, the legendary Esquilax! A horse with the head of a rabbit... and the body... of a rabbit."
Gekkou is offline  
post #2743 of 2851 Old 12-23-2010, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CharlesJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekkou View Post

The initial shipment had an issue with audio sync. It was then quickly pulled from stores and replaced with a fixed version within a week or so.

Great, thanks I guess problem solved and I don't have to worry about that recent purchase

By the way, for others, got my Gladiator BD with yellow barcode and 2 disc above the Paramount logo and it certainly looks like a remastered disc
CharlesJ is offline  
post #2744 of 2851 Old 12-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Senior Member
 
mifronte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere in the US of A
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does anyon know if the Blu-ray from Netflix or Redbox is the remastered version? I would like to watch the correct version.

Still Learning
mifronte is offline  
post #2745 of 2851 Old 12-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Decado2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the UK version of Gladiator the remastered one (and does it work on NA PS3/BR players?)?

I'm sick of waiting for this to come out in Canada
Decado2 is offline  
post #2746 of 2851 Old 01-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Senior Member
 
buddywhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lake Vättern, Sweden
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I knew the picture to be great, but I was floored anyway. This is the best live action picture I've seen. The colors and the detail in the close-ups are just breathtaking.
buddywhite is offline  
post #2747 of 2851 Old 01-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Senior Member
 
buddywhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lake Vättern, Sweden
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


A foolish choice in art direction casts a pall over Ridley Scott's "Gladiator" that no swordplay can cut through. The film looks muddy, fuzzy and indistinct. Its colors are mud tones at the drab end of the palette, and it seems to have been filmed on grim and overcast days.

Roger Ebert.

Sometimes he is just plain wrong about everything
buddywhite is offline  
post #2748 of 2851 Old 01-11-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Test123455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so if i have B1R2 and the white UPC code, with NO 2-disc labeling on either package, that means i have the new one, right?

thanks
Test123455 is offline  
post #2749 of 2851 Old 01-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
Stinky-Dinkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes. The code is the only thing that matters, not the packaging, and that code (b1r2) means it's the remastered version.
Stinky-Dinkins is offline  
post #2750 of 2851 Old 01-13-2011, 07:17 AM
Senior Member
 
the crane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Want to pick this movie up but tentative because of the issues in this forum. I found the "sapphire series" bd the other day and was wondering if that version still had these issues?

I Golf
the crane is offline  
post #2751 of 2851 Old 01-13-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by the crane View Post

Want to pick this movie up but tentative because of the issues in this forum. I found the "sapphire series" bd the other day and was wondering if that version still had these issues?

This is still the sapphire series... You have to look at the code on the disc itself, the rest doesn't matter. What a lame lame move from Paramount!!! My local hmv just got new copies, but here it's bilingual, white UPC, exact same packaging. You have to buy it to really know which version you get
Morpheo is offline  
post #2752 of 2851 Old 01-13-2011, 07:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Wesker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

This is still the sapphire series... You have to look at the code on the disc itself, the rest doesn't matter. What a lame lame move from Paramount!!! My local hmv just got new copies, but here it's bilingual, white UPC, exact same packaging. You have to buy it to really know which version you get

If it's the wrong version, has HMV given you any issue with returning it? I've been trying to track a proper copy for months here in Toronto and everytime it's a White UPC with the 2 Disc logo on the back of the cardboard sleeve. Even the innner package still shows the 2 disc text. It sucks that we have to open the disc to see whether or not it's the proper version. They should of made it easy to distinguish the difference like Sony did with their re-release of The Fifth Element.
Wesker is offline  
post #2753 of 2851 Old 01-13-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesker View Post

If it's the wrong version, has HMV given you any issue with returning it? I've been trying to track a proper copy for months here in Toronto and everytime it's a White UPC with the 2 Disc logo on the back of the cardboard sleeve. Even the innner package still shows the 2 disc text. It sucks that we have to open the disc to see whether or not it's the proper version. They should of made it easy to distinguish the difference like Sony did with their re-release of The Fifth Element.

I haven't asked them tbh. I'll check. I guess I'm just lazy and should just send my previous disc to Paramount, yet I'd buy it twice without any hesitation if I were sure to get the proper version. Maybe Paramount didn't bother updating the bilingual cardboard sleeve who knows. If only we had english only dammit!
Morpheo is offline  
post #2754 of 2851 Old 01-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Wesker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I haven't asked them tbh. I'll check. I guess I'm just lazy and should just send my previous disc to Paramount, yet I'd buy it twice without any hesitation if I were sure to get the proper version. Maybe Paramount didn't bother updating the bilingual cardboard sleeve who knows. If only we had english only dammit!

Bilingual Packaging is pointless. But we can blame the fed's for that.
Wesker is offline  
post #2755 of 2851 Old 01-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
markmathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So if I bought this movie like a month after it dropped. Does that most likely mean I got the garbage version of the movie?? Or is it a crap shoot no matter when u bought it? (i haven't gotten around to watchin my copy yet)
markmathers is offline  
post #2756 of 2851 Old 01-14-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
42041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 3,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post
So if I bought this movie like a month after it dropped. Does that most likely mean I got the garbage version of the movie?? Or is it a crap shoot no matter when u bought it? (i haven't gotten around to watchin my copy yet)
Since the new version came out roughly a year after the first, then the garbage version is the only one you could have.
Every copy of Gladiator I've found locally is the new version so I wouldn't say it's a "crap shoot". No idea about online retailers.
42041 is offline  
post #2757 of 2851 Old 01-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
markmathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041
Since the new version came out roughly a year after the first, then the garbage version is the only one you could have.
Every copy of Gladiator I've found locally is the new version so I wouldn't say it's a "crap shoot". No idea about online retailers.
Thanks! So when u say locally, do u mean at ur local best buy/target etc. type stores?
markmathers is offline  
post #2758 of 2851 Old 01-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
markmathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wut if the main feature (disc 1) is b1r1 but the second disc with the bonus features is b1r2? Does this still mean I got the old/bad version?
markmathers is offline  
post #2759 of 2851 Old 01-16-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Quickster2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Davisburg, MI
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post

Wut if the main feature (disc 1) is b1r1 but the second disc with the bonus features is b1r2? Does this still mean I got the old/bad version?

Yes. Need B1R2 on the movie disc.
Quickster2 is offline  
post #2760 of 2851 Old 01-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
markmathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickster2 View Post

Yes. Need B1R2 on the movie disc.

Thanks! Do you think my local best buy or target store will have the new version?
markmathers is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off