Equilibrium on Blu-ray - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 335 Old 09-04-2009, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Japanese release of Equilibrium came out on June 3rd, 2009 if I remember correctly. Movies seem to come out on Wednesday in Japan (or at least, that is normally when the sites I use to import them list them as coming out - I don't know how actual Japanese stores work).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 335 Old 09-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGator View Post

It was June 3rd If the formatted date starts with the year, it's Y M D. If it ends with the year, then only the US (and a few other countries) use M D Y- everywhere else it's D M Y. That's the one that's confusing for us "stupid Americans".

So this date could legitimately be written:

03-06-2009
06-03-2009
2009-06-03

You're a prince among stupid American men! Thank you!
post #93 of 335 Old 09-05-2009, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Zip.ca has shipped the Canadian disc to me despite it being all the way back at #13 in my rental queue, so I'll add it to the screencap comparisons in this thread when it arrives probably Thurs or Fri.

Though I suspect there won't be much of interest to see.
post #94 of 335 Old 09-05-2009, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

1080i I can deal with.. Not OAR is a different story.

Michael

Collection: DVD | High-def
post #95 of 335 Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 AM

Did the same thing, the Japanese version I just received, looks way better than the Canadian version. It's funny, when a Blu-Ray has been made at the 1.85:1 TV size, it looks fine and doesn't bother me (like Fringe), but when it has been made to something like 2.35:1 and cropped to 1.85:1, it bothers me knowing that there is more to see that I can't (which is why I hated Full Screen DVDs).

The Japanese version cost more, but was well worth it as one of my favorite movies deserves the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Dark View Post

Though it's not perfect, for various reasons, this is my second favorite movie of all time. I spit when I found out the UK BD was not OAR and "found" a copy of the HDDVD in protest.

As no one has heard squat about a US release (it's a freaking US movie!), and the Canadian sounds no better than the UK, I will spring for the Japanese release.

Lossless audio and OAR? yes, please!

post #96 of 335 Old 09-10-2009, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
I have my HD-DVD on eBay at the moment. Likely won't be buying the BD anytime soon, but I will eventually get around to it because it is one hell of a great flick.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #97 of 335 Old 09-10-2009, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I finally caved!! Those pics of the Japanese BD are top notch...def the best looking & correct version out there. Should be here Mon or Tuesday. Can't wait!!
post #98 of 335 Old 09-11-2009, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Well, I was gonna praise Alliance for at least doing an encode with no notable artifacts for a change, but when I went to compare the screencaps I found that it's actually identical to the UK disc released by Momentum Pictures which Giger capped.

I wonder if that's why this disc included extras and English HoH subtitles.

The disc itself isn't the same though -- it's Region A locked vs the UK's Region ABC, and it features only Alliance startup logos. Plus Alliance added the DTS-HD MA track and a French 2.0 track.

Quote from another forum about the extras on the UK disc:
Quote:

The special features (which are presented in Standard Definition) are :

* Finding Equilibrium Featurette
* UK Trailer
* UK TV Spots
* Jump To Fight
* Gun Kata
* Commentary with Director Kurt Wimmer
* Commentary with the Director & Producer Lucas Foster

This disc only carries over the Finding Equilibrium featurette (SD) and the two commentaries.
post #99 of 335 Old 09-16-2009, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I got my copy today and took a few pics. Did my best...the contrast is off in many of the shots but it gives you an idea. Played on the Oppo without a hitch. The TrueHD audio is quite good too.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #100 of 335 Old 09-16-2009, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

A few more...
LL
LL
LL
post #101 of 335 Old 12-02-2009, 12:22 PM

So if I'm understanding correctly.. this:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...976&sa=title#p

Is not OAR and has less extras? Any word yet on a proper U.S. release?
post #102 of 335 Old 12-04-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGator View Post

Found another release, Poland, in the Blu-ray Imports thread:

http://www.bluedvd.pl/p/pl/pr012/equ...m+blu-ray.html

Don't know anything about the video transfer, but looks like it has English PCM 5.1

Does anybody have this Polish release and if so can you comment on the picture quality
post #103 of 335 Old 01-02-2010, 03:20 PM

excelent picture
post #104 of 335 Old 01-02-2010, 03:37 PM

Still would like to see a comparison between the Japanese HD DVD (that I own) and the Japanese BD (and the Polish sounds interesting despite any info).
post #105 of 335 Old 01-02-2010, 04:47 PM

Just want to put in my 2 cents. Huge fan of this movie and couldn't wait for an american blu ray. Decide to try the Canadian version. Besides the aspect ration issue, I was quite happy with it. It doesn't say it on the box but it definitely has a DTS-HD track which sounded great. Picture quality is not a 5 star but I didn't expect it to be as I believe it was a lowbudget movie. It's definitely a solid 3.5 to 4 stars on PQ. Soft in spots but very sharp for most of it. Colors are intentianally bland. I got it for 20 bucks and I am very happy with it until a better version comes out. Don't disregard this version if you love the movie.
post #106 of 335 Old 01-02-2010, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvidfil View Post

Just want to put in my 2 cents. Huge fan of this movie and couldn't wait for an american blu ray. Decide to try the Canadian version. Besides the aspect ration issue, I was quite happy with it. It doesn't say it on the box but it definitely has a DTS-HD track which sounded great. Picture quality is not a 5 star but I didn't expect it to be as I believe it was a lowbudget movie. It's definitely a solid 3.5 to 4 stars on PQ. Soft in spots but very sharp for most of it. Colors are intentianally bland. I got it for 20 bucks and I am very happy with it until a better version comes out. Don't disregard this version if you love the movie.

I would agree this is a very good release for the price. I previously owned this movie on the Japanese HD DVD import, and I know the movie does look incredible at times.

If the Japanese HD DVD was a 9/10 for PQ, this is a solid 8.2/10 imo. The audio is obviously a big step up.

If I have the opportunity in the future to upgrade to an OAR version with lossless audio for $15 or less, I will double dip and sell this one off, but until then, it's a great way to enjoy this movie at a reasonable price. Personally, and this is just me, I'd never pay videogame prices for one movie.

Blu-ray = 775
post #107 of 335 Old 01-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaylisJayP View Post

Personally, and this is just me, I'd never pay videogame prices for one movie.

Funny how different peoples' priorities can be; it was not uncommon for me in the early '90s to spend $125-$150 for one movie on LaserDisc but I don't own a single videogame because I am horrified by the, for me, utterly unconscionable pricing model for them. A videogame over $15 is unjustifiable; they just ain't my bag the way films are.
post #108 of 335 Old 01-02-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post

Funny how different peoples' priorities can be; it was not uncommon for me in the early '90s to spend $125-$150 for one movie on LaserDisc

You must bew referring to the MSRP. Except for the Criterion BRAZIL, I don't think I ever saw an LD Special Edition for more than $99.00 (store price). And...I still have 'em! Most of the better ones still look pretty damn good on my new LCD. (Although they suffer by comparison to HD, obviously)
post #109 of 335 Old 01-02-2010, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Funny how different peoples' priorities can be; it was not uncommon for me in the early '90s to spend $125-$150 for one movie on LaserDisc but I don't own a single videogame because I am horrified by the, for me, utterly unconscionable pricing model for them. A videogame over $15 is unjustifiable; they just ain't my bag the way films are.

Please don't. This conversation reminds me of paying $100+ on here a while back for DVHS versions of Ice Age, Alien etc etc.

LOL
post #110 of 335 Old 01-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

You must bew referring to the MSRP. Except for the Criterion BRAZIL, I don't think I ever saw an LD Special Edition for more than $99.00 (store price). And...I still have 'em!

Um, I did buy them in stores and don't know whether they were MSRP or not (don't remember any discounts of note in the halcyon days of that particular niche format), but I paid between $120 and $150 each for CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND: The Criterion Collection, E.T.: THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL: Signature Collection, JAWS: Signature Collection, SCHINDLER'S LIST: Collector's Edition, The STAR WARS Trilogy: The Definitive Collection, The STAR WARS Trilogy: Special Edition and TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY: Special Edition. Lower the threshhold to $100 and I can throw in several others, like FANTASIA and THE ULTIMATE [WIZARD OF] OZ (and, like you, I still own each of these). Painful purchases on the wallet but much more sensible, IMO, than dropping $50-$60 on a damn video game.
post #111 of 335 Old 01-03-2010, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I don't pay videogame prices for videogames, either, but I'm just saying...

Technically, if you break it down to hours of entertainment / cost, most videogames can justify their price over movies, even with repeated viewings. The last two videogames I played totaled about 180 hours and cost me about $50 combined.

Blu-ray = 775
post #112 of 335 Old 01-03-2010, 11:40 AM

Japanese bluray includes eng subs? it says eng subs in here http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Rebellion-Blu-ray/4629/
i dont trust blu-ray.com so much
post #113 of 335 Old 01-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Technically, if you break it down to hours of entertainment / cost, most videogames can justify their price over movies, even with repeated viewings.

But if we look at it from a qualitative standpoint, rather than a quantitative one, I've never found videogames to be remotely as entertaining, insightful or artful as films. YMM certainly V, of course. Nor do the creation of videogames require investments of $50-$200 million dollars per project, like most films do, so I also find that that better rationalizes the cost of BDs/DVDs over videogames...
post #114 of 335 Old 01-03-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But if we look at it from a qualitative standpoint, rather than a quantitative one, I've never found videogames to be remotely as entertaining, insightful or artful as films. YMM certainly V, of course. Nor do the creation of videogames require investments of $50-$200 million dollars per project, like most films do, so I also find that that better rationalizes the cost of BDs/DVDs over videogames...

You'd be surprised how much videogames cost to develop. But I see you're point, value of entertainment is all relative to what the individual finds entertaining.

Blu-ray = 775
post #115 of 335 Old 01-03-2010, 02:32 PM

Liked: 50
Is the new Uk disc now OAR ?
post #116 of 335 Old 01-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You'd be surprised how much videogames cost to develop.

According to an Aug. 2008 article at blog.knowyourmoney.co.uk, there were only seven videogames in existence that cost more than $50,000,000 to produce (and those figures are even including advertising and marketing). Hollywood has that beat within virtually any couple of months in a given year.
post #117 of 335 Old 01-03-2010, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

According to an Aug. 2008 article at blog.knowyourmoney.co.uk, there were only seven videogames in existence that cost more than $50,000,000 to produce (and those figures are even including advertising and marketing). Hollywood has that beat within virtually any couple of months in a given year.

That's not even close to being accurate. The cost for developing a game can cost millions of dollars. Shenmue cost over $70,000,000 and GTA 4 is estimated at being over $100,000,000. Metal Gear Solid, and Halo 3 were both over $50,000,000.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #118 of 335 Old 01-03-2010, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Is the new Uk disc now OAR ?

I'm nearly certain that it's only a new sleeve.
post #119 of 335 Old 01-04-2010, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leterface View Post

Still would like to see a comparison between the Japanese HD DVD (that I own) and the Japanese BD (and the Polish sounds interesting despite any info).

I took a couple of screencaps of the Japanese HD DVD and the Japanese BD side by side, left is HD DVD and right is BD. Not much clearly visible difference in these caps. On the Sony BD's back cover "Showgate" (ex. Toshiba Ent.) is mentioned as "Provider" so I guess they are from the same source, but the BD has higher bitrate video and TrueHD audio vs. DD+ at 2046 kbps on the HD DVD. BD caps are larger in filesize.

HD DVD: 387 (new: Taking Lives ; list)
Blu-ray: 262 (new: North Face (UK) ; list)
HD DVD-R: 262 (new: Charlie Wilson's War ; list)
post #120 of 335 Old 01-04-2010, 07:09 AM

Thank you so much for the comparison of this great film Mr. Kannisto!

Now I don't have access to my better monitor but Kannisto said it well, only microscopic differences can bee seen. The only slight difference I see is in the shadow details, the BD is ofcourse better with more shadow bits that are very slightly compressed in the HD DVD. Maby this effect is almost only seable on uncalibrated high contrast PC-screens (as mine is).

But overall I am quite amazed that the differences are so utterly small, keeping in mind the BD filesize that you measured with AnyDVD-HD:
Quote:

The Japanese Blu-ray also has significantly higher video bitrate than the Japanese HD DVD and the whole disc image size is a lot bigger as well (these figures are copied from the output provided by AnyDVD HD for the 2 discs):

Japanese HD DVD:
Total size: 9210912 sectors (17990 MBytes)

Japanese BD:
Total size: 17148512 sectors (33493 MBytes)

Thanks!
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page