Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 541 Old 09-30-2010, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post

dvdmike007 - Can you rip The Terminator LD to DVD for me?

Don't own the LD and sold the capture capture card sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 541 Old 09-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

Yah, the surround part of the discussion lost me.

There was another film I was thinking of using the LD audio with the BD video besides Terminator.
post #93 of 541 Old 09-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentai View Post

Neither DVD nor BD spec are designed to handle 44.1khz, so most compliant authoring software chooses to either resample it to 48khz, or reject it outright.

Resampling can screw up the synch, because of the way the samples are read; resampling while keeping the same constant playback rate can cause artifacting, depending on the software you use. It's impossible to create a compliant BDMV folder with the literal LD audio intact, but it should be possible to create a reasonably close 48khz copy. Terminator should be mono, anyhow, so I doubt Dolby Surround encoding will be a factor here.

Yeah, I wasn't specifically referring to Terminator, although I did recently get the THX LD for the purpose of using its audio with the BD.

I'll have to read up on surround encoding software, maybe something like BeSweet could keep or restore the surround encoding. LMK if you have any suggestions, though.

Didn't have any apparent artifacting or synch issues, though (used the highest level of interpolation accuracy in SoundForge, didn't use an anti-aliasing filter since I believe that's only necessary when downsampling), so at least that shouldn't be a problem.
post #94 of 541 Old 09-30-2010, 07:34 PM

Liked: 10
Sonic Foundry's Softencode has an option for Surround encoding - I've never had to use it, though.

I'm not sure if any of the freeware/consumer level encoders allow 2.0 surround matrixing or not, and the "Pro" software out there is not cheap.
post #95 of 541 Old 10-08-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Can you send me a link to the LPCM? Megaupload or something. I own the Blu-ray and several DVDs, obviously.
post #96 of 541 Old 10-08-2010, 07:53 PM

Is it true that Cameron is supervising a new HD transfer???
post #97 of 541 Old 10-08-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc2002 View Post

Is it true that Cameron is supervising a new HD transfer???

Yes. Done by the folks at Lowry, just like Aliens. Abyss is next.
post #98 of 541 Old 10-09-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood Floyd View Post

Yes. Done by the folks at Lowry, just like Aliens. Abyss is next.

If you read the thread you will see it was cancelled as MGM cannot afford it
post #99 of 541 Old 10-09-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

If you read the thread you will see it was cancelled as MGM cannot afford it

Really? Dammit.
post #100 of 541 Old 11-22-2010, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Based on the info that MGM is in a dire financial situation, I saw this at Wal-Mart the other night for $8, and for $8, I'm willing to bite and take the ever so slight improvement in quality (although it's almost negligible), as well as to fix the stretch that appears on the DVD. I'll hang on to the DVD for now, depending on how butchered the audio track is but, I'm not sorry I spent $8 on this.
post #101 of 541 Old 11-22-2010, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I bought my copy on sale at BB for $7.99 a while back. I don't regret it, even if it was a marginal improvement. I hope MGM wins the lottery or something, though. I want to see T1 receive the attention Aliens did!
post #102 of 541 Old 11-22-2010, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I don't believe the current BD is that bad. It's not great, but it looks fairly film-like and doesn't have that overly processed look to it that I hate.

post #103 of 541 Old 12-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Did anyone else get around to copying and re-synching the Laserdisc PCM with the Blu-ray video? I finally got around to doing so myself the other night and watched the results (muxed to mkv, so no need to resample from 44.1kHz to 48kHz but I made a 48kHz copy of the PCM just in case).

In addition to the reel change points (which I was able to pinpoint with the non-THX LD since that used a release print) and the LD side change, there seemed to be a few other points where the audio went out of sync for a few frames, but I think I did a pretty good job. There certainly weren't any points where the audio seemed out of sync (other than bit-part actors who had lines that were obviously dubbed over, but that's a part of the original audio of course).
post #104 of 541 Old 12-15-2010, 01:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I don't believe the current BD is that bad. It's not great, but it looks fairly film-like and doesn't have that overly processed look to it that I hate.
If they had only included the original audio on the BD, it would be in my collection. It was on the DVD. I don't know what it isn't there on the BD.
post #105 of 541 Old 12-15-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Same here, QGJ. I personally think that the PQ is pretty bad, but I'd still own it if the mono track was there. I lasted all of 5 minutes before I took the BD out of my player and listed it on ebay. I despise that 5.1 mix, I really do.
post #106 of 541 Old 12-17-2010, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd213 View Post

In addition to the reel change points (which I was able to pinpoint with the non-THX LD since that used a release print) and the LD side change, there seemed to be a few other points where the audio went out of sync for a few frames, but I think I did a pretty good job. There certainly weren't any points where the audio seemed out of sync (other than bit-part actors who had lines that were obviously dubbed over, but that's a part of the original audio of course).

There are about 15 points in the Bluray that have an extra frame or two, compared to the LD, mainly at scene changes: this makes it a little more complex to match the soundtrack.
post #107 of 541 Old 06-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's been a long time. Has anyone been able to account for the 15 frames in order to merge the laser disc's LPCM original mono soundtrack with the Blu-Ray? I have failed so far and have pretty much given up.

I didn't actually notice the differences when watching my re-authored disc, only at a few points when playing my re-edited LD audio simultaneously with the BD audio. And even then, it was just a slight occasional echoing.

Quote:

If the laser disc is ripped to a DVD, can the high quality LPCM audio be preserved? If not, then what kind of rip would it have to be (.mkv, etc.) in order to preserve the LPCM track? Can this type of laser disc rip be put onto a DVD disc as a data file(s) and played back on something like the PS3?

If you want to preserve the 44.1kHz rate of the LD audio, I believe you have to use mkv. If you resample to 48kHz, then you can re-author as a Blu-ray video (or DVD video if you wanted to re-encode the video) or PS3-compatible format like mp4. (edit: the PS3 can't play files over 4GB unless they're from a BD-R or DVD-R though, but I think there's software like multiAVCHD that lets you get around this).

edit: This is assuming that you rip the LD audio to a PC using a sound card with SPDIF input (I use an M-Audio 2496). If you just use the analog input of a PC or USB recording device or DVD recorder or whatever, then it should be automatically set to 48kHz or allow you to set whatever sampling rate you want.
post #108 of 541 Old 06-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

At this point I've simply given up on having the Blu-Ray's video and LD's LPCM audio track. I would just be interested in obtaining a high quality LD copy on either a DVD disc, or a Blu-Ray disc, preserving the LPCM audio track. If this .mkv file is copied to a Blu-Ray, or a DVD disc, will the PS3 play it?

No. No mkv support on the PS3 whatsoever (last I checked). Other types of files may work.

Quote:

Even if it's over 4GB? Are there any other reasonable ways to copy the LD with LPCM and play it on a PS3?

The PS3 can play mp4 files, but I'm not sure if mp4 supports LPCM. I think you can make a big vob file though. Pretty sure multiAVCHD allows for encoding to a PS3-compatible file on a thumbdrive or external HDD.

Quote:

And a question off topic... How can one play DVDs ripped to a hard drive on a PS3? For example, the DVD's folder has an Audio_TS and a Video_TS sub folders. The PS3 will not recognize the Video_TS folder. It can however play each of the .vob files separately, but there's many of them and that's no way to watch a movie. Besides, it makes it impossible to go to the menu, or switch audio setting, etc.

How does one back up a DVD to a hard drive and watch it on a PS3? With no loss of quality and minimum headache?

Try multiAVCHD.
post #109 of 541 Old 06-29-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Jeez! Cameron could easily whip out his check book and pay for the complete restoration and remixes of The Terminator and T2... if he wanted to, that is.

I'm sure he's still a bit miffed that the rights to Terminator were pulled out from under Lightstorm's control by Linda Hamilton.

Though, I'm sure at the time she thought it was ample punishment for his cheating ways. I have read that she now regrets doing that after the fans have had to endure two sh-tty remakes at the hands of complete hacks.

Terminator 5 is supposedly being directed by another low-rent director of one of the Fast and The Furious sequels and has no script. That's just great.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #110 of 541 Old 06-29-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Jeez! Cameron could easily whip out his check book and pay for the complete restoration and remixes of The Terminator and T2... if he wanted to, that is.

I'm sure he's still a bit miffed that the rights to Terminator were pulled out from under Lightstorm's control by Linda Hamilton.

Though, I'm sure at the time she thought it was ample punishment for his cheating ways. I have read that she now regrets doing that after the fans have had to endure two sh-tty remakes at the hands of complete hacks.

Terminator 5 is supposedly being directed by another low-rent director of one of the Fast and The Furious sequels and has no script. That's just great.

Mostow and Justin Lin are far from hacks
post #111 of 541 Old 06-30-2011, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Bashing Fast Five, is like admitting to war crimes.
post #112 of 541 Old 06-30-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Bashing Fast Five, is like admitting to war crimes.

there was noting wrong with the direction
post #113 of 541 Old 07-01-2011, 07:03 AM

Will there be a new Terminator blu-ray or not?
post #114 of 541 Old 07-01-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

there was noting wrong with the direction

Don't gotta tell me, dood, I loved it.
post #115 of 541 Old 07-01-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Don't gotta tell me, dood, I loved it.

Fair play, Justin Lin is this generation's John McTiernan
post #116 of 541 Old 07-03-2011, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:

Fair play, Justin Lin is this generation's John McTiernan

If you like movies for ADD sufferers.

I'd rather have Cameron as director and a good screenwriter (Cameron could supervise or consult on the script, but his writing, ala Titanic and Avatar, has been clunky and too derivative).

Mostow directed T3 and that was complete sh$t, just like T4 with Mc "Charlie's Angel's" G's laughably simplistic attempt.

A lot of Terminator fans are screaming at the top of their lungs to make T5 the real T3 and make it as if those two turkeys never happened. It can be done... just don't wait until Schwarzenegger and Hamilton and Biehn are using walkers.

Shoot the darn thing with a great cinematographer like John Toll or Roger Deakins. For one, they don't do 3D... thank God. I'd say shoot it in Panavision 65mm and convert it to IMAX 70mm for special screenings and downconvert for the other theatrical formats. 7.1 audio. Strip the story down to the basics again (great suspense and drama and character development using only a handful of main characters) with minimal digital special effects (practical effects and stunt work instead).

Two casting choices I'd go for right off the bat are these:

Joseph Gordon-Levitt as John Conner, age 30. Watch The Lookout as one great example of his dramatic range and he actually looks similar to a grown up 10-year-old Eddie Furlong from T2.

Summer Glau as one of the main Terminators, not necessarily Cameron again. Though, I would make her the love interest to shake things up and create an instant built in conflict... John Connor is in love with an advanced... Terminator?? It would certainly be a leap forward from his friendship with a T-800 in T2.

And it follows in the footsteps of the powerful James Cameron "love, friendship, and a modicum of moral values -- "good" Terminators can still kick the snot out of someone without killing them -- can perhaps save humanity from our deadly mistakes" motif set forth in the Terminator franchise.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #117 of 541 Old 07-08-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Two casting choices I'd go for right off the bat are these:

Joseph Gordon-Levitt as John Conner, age 30. Watch The Lookout as one great example of his dramatic range and he actually looks similar to a grown up 10-year-old Eddie Furlong from T2.

Summer Glau as one of the main Terminators, not necessarily Cameron again. Though, I would make her the love interest to shake things up and create an instant built in conflict... John Connor is in love with an advanced... Terminator?? It would certainly be a leap forward from his friendship with a T-800 in T2.
Sounds worse than T3 and 4 combined.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #118 of 541 Old 07-08-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX

Sounds worse than T3 and 4 combined.
Leave T3 alone, and they have not made T4 yet
post #119 of 541 Old 07-08-2011, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Leave T3 alone, and they have not made T4 yet

T3 is pants.
post #120 of 541 Old 07-08-2011, 03:52 PM

It it was not called Terminator people would have gone nuts for it, the crane chase alone is amazing action cinema
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page