AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
EUR 169,99 = USD 254
Ouch.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 202 Old 11-23-2009, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

EUR 169,99 = USD 254
Ouch.

Mike

Plus around EUR 10.50 shipping and $8.80 INTL SERVICE FEE.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

post #63 of 202 Old 11-23-2009, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll probably skip on these. I bought the first four on HD DVD for $10ea after getting the 5th title as a freebie on the Toshiba rebate and enjoying it. Planned to get the ones from the 6th film onward on Blu- obviously. Now they're throwing out the theatrical/extended editions. They should've done this from the start. The series isn't among my top movies ever so I don't think I'll be double dipping, even if I wouldn't mind having them. This is expecting too much out of customers.
post #64 of 202 Old 11-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
STOP. Everyone just wait for the final, 8 movie EXTREME editions: which is the Ultimate editions, with even more extras, cast commentaries, crew love stories, on-location documentaries, alternate commentaries with the movie stars only their drunk, harry potter wand, collectible cases that transform into , the books on audio-cd, new cast interviews with their reflections on the whole 8 film saga, and, and, even MORE extra footage in every film! especially filmed just for the giganta release! (Since the actors are older when this part is filmed, it will turn out to be future Harry assisting events in the background to happen as they should to prevent a whole new alternate ending from happening, in which everyone else in the gang dies except for harry himself. It will all be completely legitimate too, cause they will convince the author to write a short, eighth book that explains it all!)

See, cause if you don't wait, your'e going to be quadruple dipping by the time this super special set comes along. =)

I Bet You Wish You Could! - Roger Wilco

for updating your Onkyo xx5 receivers firmware. **Newly updated 7-22-2009**Re-uploaded 7-14-2013**

Something from

post #65 of 202 Old 11-23-2009, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't care about all the extras, but I do like having both theatrical and extended cuts of movies. I just don't think I'm going to bother here. This isn't double dipping on one release, it's double dipping on each title of a series that already has five releases out.
post #66 of 202 Old 11-24-2009, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The first and second movies aren't even any good. Chris Columbus did the best job of trying to film the entire book and cram it all in there but he also forgot to include the magic and the movies sucked.

Starting with the Ultimate Editions of 3 onwards, I wonder if Warner will give the movies a new encode. Some of the scenes in the existing encodes of 3, 4, and 5 which were released on both HD DVD and Blu-ray have a lot of visible compression artifacting including hideous broadcast HD type macroblocking. If Warner just recycles the same crappy encode the way they did for the new Matrix releases on Blu-ray, they can eat a fat dick, I won't give them money for that crap.

Also, we shouldn't be rewarding this kind of behavior by giving Warner more money, just look at the way they are treating Lord of the Rings.
post #67 of 202 Old 11-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post

I'll probably skip on these. I bought the first four on HD DVD for $10ea after getting the 5th title as a freebie on the Toshiba rebate and enjoying it. Planned to get the ones from the 6th film onward on Blu- obviously. Now they're throwing out the theatrical/extended editions. They should've done this from the start. The series isn't among my top movies ever so I don't think I'll be double dipping, even if I wouldn't mind having them. This is expecting too much out of customers.

I got the 1st 4 prettty cheap on ebay for hd dvd earlier this year and got 5 with the Toshiba rebate also. I will by HBP on blu next month. I really don't want to double dip I would just rather watch the extended editions hopefully via netflix. Too much money for my blood for these extended versions.
post #68 of 202 Old 11-24-2009, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

The first and second movies aren't even any good. Chris Columbus did the best job of trying to film the entire book and cram it all in there but he also forgot to include the magic and the movies sucked.

I preferred the latter movies (except 6), but I still thought the first two movies had plenty of magic and were an excellent way to start the franchise.

post #69 of 202 Old 11-24-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

Starting with the Ultimate Editions of 3 onwards, I wonder if Warner will give the movies a new encode. Some of the scenes in the existing encodes of 3, 4, and 5 which were released on both HD DVD and Blu-ray have a lot of visible compression artifacting including hideous broadcast HD type macroblocking. If Warner just recycles the same crappy encode the way they did for the new Matrix releases on Blu-ray, they can eat a fat dick, I won't give them money for that crap.

Also, we shouldn't be rewarding this kind of behavior by giving Warner more money, just look at the way they are treating Lord of the Rings.

Your broadcast HD must be pretty nice if it has as much artifacting as these discs have. I won't deny that it is there, but comparing it to broadcast HD?
post #70 of 202 Old 12-06-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So, is the PQ of these any sort of improvement over the original discs? From reading The Digital Bits' review, it sounds as if it's the same.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...ews120409.html

post #71 of 202 Old 12-06-2009, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

So, is the PQ of these any sort of improvement over the original discs? From reading The Digital Bits' review, it sounds as if it's the same.

Somewhere somebody posted screencaps and it would appear the first one is a new transfer (and therefore new encode). Color values and framing were different.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #72 of 202 Old 12-06-2009, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Different framing?

I'm curious about that.

: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #73 of 202 Old 12-08-2009, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I've read on several reviews that the DTS-MA is more robust than the pcm audio on the first discs. I wonder...
post #74 of 202 Old 12-08-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

I've read on several reviews that the DTS-MA is more robust than the pcm audio on the first discs. I wonder...

It's a 6.1 mix from the EX masters. PCM were 5.1

post #75 of 202 Old 12-08-2009, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

It's a 6.1 mix from the EX masters. PCM were 5.1

Interesting. I doubt that translates to any added value on a 5.1 system unless the DTS is 24 bit.
post #76 of 202 Old 12-08-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

USPS just delivered this:

Ultimate Harry Potter 1 to 6 - Limited Edition Prestige Castle Hogwarts [Blu-ray] (contains 6 Blu-rays with 2 empty slots for Harry Potter 7 Parts 1 and 2 Blu-rays)

That is so awesome!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
post #77 of 202 Old 12-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolisdead View Post

That is so awesome!

That is so overkill
post #78 of 202 Old 12-08-2009, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Actually, this is what the Digital Bits had to say:

[Editor's Note: Upon further comparison with the previous BD releases of Stone and Chamber, I actually believe the new video presentations are slightly better, presumably resulting from the additional disc space devoted to the film in the new Ultimate releases. Contrast is a little improved, with slightly deeper blacks, and there's a bit more fine detail in the image. The difference is not large, but there is a bit of an improvement.]
post #79 of 202 Old 12-09-2009, 08:16 AM

I don't own any of the movies on BD, with the sole exception of HBP (and for $5 more than a single disc DVD, it was a no-brainer). I'm getting these. I just hope that the prices come off a little bit, under $30 would be nice.
post #80 of 202 Old 12-09-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Cobolisdead,

You stated that it has 6 discs. Is this years 1-6? Meaning Ultimate editions of all 6 movies?

post #81 of 202 Old 12-09-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post

Actually, this is what the Digital Bits had to say:

[Editor's Note: Upon further comparison with the previous BD releases of Stone and Chamber, I actually believe the new video presentations are slightly better, presumably resulting from the additional disc space devoted to the film in the new Ultimate releases. Contrast is a little improved, with slightly deeper blacks, and there's a bit more fine detail in the image. The difference is not large, but there is a bit of an improvement.]

Interesting. Obviously, they must have edited/added from the time of my last post.

post #82 of 202 Old 12-09-2009, 02:57 PM

so do we know if they really updated the video for sure?
post #83 of 202 Old 12-11-2009, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
maybe i missed it but do these movies have the extended scenes worked into the film? like what you see on ABC Family all the damn time? thanks kids

"How long were you in Mexico?"
" uh...a week, no, no, a day..."
"Well, which is it a week or a day?
"uh...a weekday?"
post #84 of 202 Old 12-11-2009, 12:19 PM

^yeah, the deleted scenes are worked into the movie. Once you put the disc in it goes to the main menu and if you hit play you select whether you want the theatrical or extended version. If you push the pop-up menu while the movie is playing there is an option to switch to the other version of the movie, however when you do this it doesn't start from where you left off, it goes back to the beginning.

I watched parts of CoS last night and watching the extended version, the deleted scenes are fairly well incorporated and video looks pretty good for those scenes, however the lighting conditions and color look a little bit different, probably due to the post production messing with colors and contrasts and such.
post #85 of 202 Old 12-11-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moronoron View Post

so do we know if they really updated the video for sure?

The video definitely looks a little bit different in the majority of scenes. The colors look just slightly more saturated/less washed out, and contrast in dark scenes seems to be improved. I only watched the previous Chamber of Secrets blu once, however it was just one week ago, and it looks to me like some instances of heavy grain, probably due to the super35, has been toned down. There might even be some very light DNR applied because some scenes that had a lot of grain before seem to look super smooth now, however I wouldn't call them 'soft' either.

Perhaps this is all in my head though, I have no way to do screencaps so...
post #86 of 202 Old 12-12-2009, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

No thanks! My HD DVD versions still work beautifully and for pennies on the dollar!

Mark

When I saw all the new Blu versions I thought the same thing. I like my Blu Ray but my HDDVD versions still look great with my trusty X-A2.
post #87 of 202 Old 02-10-2010, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

USPS just delivered this:

Ultimate Harry Potter 1 to 6 - Limited Edition Prestige Castle Hogwarts [Blu-ray] (contains 6 Blu-rays with 2 empty slots for Harry Potter 7 Parts 1 and 2 Blu-rays)

Are these actually the Ultimate Editions that this thread is discussing or simply special editions in a limited packaging?

The fact that no-where else in the world seems to have released more than movies 1 and 2 as Ultimate Editions leads me to suspect these are not actually Ultimate Editions. I would like to be proven incorrect though.
post #88 of 202 Old 02-10-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Don't know if someone already mentioned it but the titles that had a bit of 3D plus the upcoming last movies that will be in S3D will make for another release down the road.
post #89 of 202 Old 02-10-2010, 08:48 AM

I finally got my hands on these at a price well below retail and I couldn't pass them up. I'm happy with them, even if for just the extended scenes. Packaging is pretty well done.

I'm happy.
post #90 of 202 Old 02-10-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Don't know if someone already mentioned it but the titles that had a bit of 3D plus the upcoming last movies that will be in S3D will make for another release down the road.

Unlikely since they were reprocessed for 3-D, not true 3-D.

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page