AVS Forum banner

All Godzilla Movies Japanese Import Blu-Ray Review Thread

43K views 169 replies 35 participants last post by  inspector 
#1 ·
As it's likely a lot of opinions and reviews of the Japanese import blu-ray Toho Godzilla and related films will soon show up here due to the release of the various films in groups of 5 every two months, I thought it might be nice if there's one all-inclusive thread to cover the releases.

Anyway.........

I just got through viewing the Japanese blu-ray of the original Godzilla. Overall, I think fans of the movie will be very pleased with the transfer, extras and the overall package.

To preface my comments, I have bought this movie both US and Japanese import releases from vhs tape, through various laserdisc releases to dvd. I'm pretty familiar with how this movie could and should look.

Overall, the movie has never looked better on home video. Of course, there appears to have been some small sacrifice to get an overall superior presentation.

There is evidence of some DNR to clean up the print as in some scenes, daylight sky looks a little too smooth, grainless and flat in some scenes but on the other hand, fine detail in well lit scenes has never looked better. Obviously, because of the rather (now) primitive filming techniques and use of stock footage of varying film stocks as well as the age and condition of the original print, this movie is never going to look pristine or even on a level of similar b/w genre films already on blu-ray such as the original "The Day The Earth Stood Still." And it has to be said, the night scenes of Godzilla trampling through Tokyo are often oppressively dark with borderline black crush losing some very fine detail that can be previously seen on the washed out, brighter image on the first issue in the 80's of the Japanese laserdisc. However, much of this can be rectified by minor adjustment of black levels on the monitor.

The framing is identical to most other home video releases, notably the Japanese import region 2 dvd.

In fact, this release carries over a number of features from the Japanese dvd release. The audio option includes the original 2 channel mono PCM soundtrack as well as the music (left channel) and sound effects (right channel) audio track and a commentary track. It does not include a soundtrack only audio track like the dvd did though. Overall, the movie's audio track is a slight improvement over the Japanese dvd release - a bit more full and a tad more bass.

Regarding the extras, the (very) long video interview from the original Japanese dvd is ported over in standard definition. Trailers for the movie are included as well as a extensive stills gallery documenting the movie from the script through suit design and construction through filming. One of the nicer features is a PiP storyboard option while watching the movie. Also, there is a cool new short feature filmed in '08 that is a live orchestra playing key music cues to respective scenes from the movie.

The menu is initially a bit tough to navigate, primarily due to the language issue but visually from a graphics standpoint, it's nicely designed.

The slipcase is a typical BR case with a cardboard sleeve with matching artwork. There is a tri-fold sheet advertising not only Toho's next two batches of monster films coming on BR through the end of '09, but 3 volume "Akira Kurosawa - The Masterworks" collections. Also, there's a tiny blurb mentioning blu-ray releases of (wait for it........) the 1964 films "Mothra vs Godzilla" and "Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster" in March of 2010.

I revised my original Amazon Japan order after getting and being a bit disappointed with the Gamera '90's box set to only buy the original "Godzilla" and see how this one turned out befor springing for the rest of Toho's quickly blossoming blu-ray releases. Overall, I'm *very* happy with this release and look forward to emptying my wallet for the rest of Toho's blu-ray releases.

T.B.

See less See more
#127 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klen7  /t/1181538/all-godzilla-movies-japanese-import-blu-ray-review-thread/120#post_24447167

Hey there, first time poster; but I come to you bearing good news:

http://www.toho-a-park.com/godzilla-60th/

Toho will be releasing the rest of the Godzilla movies on Blu-ray, July this year. Scroll down the page to see the coverart, etc. 

I'm glad this is finally happening. So Toho is putting back in circulation (they went OOP late last year) in June the 13 Godzilla films they released on blu-ray a few years ago at a slightly lower price of 4,700yen and then in July. will release the remainder of the Godzilla series on blu-ray to capitalize on the US Godzilla movie which sees release in Japan that month. The downside of course - the HD masters will undoubtedly be from the now-dated WOW HD tv broadcast "remasters" like the first batch of blu-rays were. Those releases really were not very impressive visually in most cases (especially the 90's films). Also, it appears most of the extras used on the older dvd releases will be recycled for these Blu-rays, and in some instances, not all the old extra features (and audio track options including alt mixes, music only, etc) will be used.

No word about whether the other previously released on blu-ray Toho genre films like Rodan, Mothra, Atragon etc will go back in print or if any more still-missing titles like Varan and Frankenstein Conquers The World will finally see release this year.

#129 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA  /t/1181538/all-godzilla-movies-japanese-import-blu-ray-review-thread/120#post_24518289

Amazon now has cover art up. These look very B-Movie-ish in design, very much like the Shout Factory Gamera and Mill Creek Gamera covers.

They look pretty similar to the Harry Potter two packs that Walmart carries. I'll be moving them to disc sleeves anyway, so as long as they are separate discs I'll be fine with the mix and match two packs.

#130 ·
I'll definitely do that if someone comes up with some good custom covers. I really hope these sell well and then Sony will release Godzilla 2000 on Blu-Ray. The Americanized version is the only Godzilla movie I ever saw in theatres as I didn't get to see the 98 film until it hit DVD.

#133 ·
I'm thinking those might be in the second wave of discs that come when the new movie is released on home video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON  /t/1181538/all-godzilla-movies-japanese-import-blu-ray-review-thread/120#post_24521442

I don't see Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla in these upcoming releases on Amazon... GMK doesn't seem to be on there either.

From what I know, Toho has to release them first with a few months window for Japanese sales, so we won't get them until the new film hits home video because they are being released in Japan over the next few months.

#134 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA  /t/1181538/all-godzilla-movies-japanese-import-blu-ray-review-thread/120#post_24519323

I'll definitely do that if someone comes up with some good custom covers. I really hope these sell well and then Sony will release Godzilla 2000 on Blu-Ray. The Americanized version is the only Godzilla movie I ever saw in theatres as I didn't get to see the 98 film until it hit DVD.

I can't wrap my head around why people would like a new cover when all you see is the spine.

Now LDs were frameable like LPs but I've never heard of anyone framing a BD case.

#135 ·
Received and watched the Universal US English language cut of King Kong vs Godzilla this afternoon. I had placed my order through Amazon over the weekend and was a little concerned when I didn't get any sort of usual shipping notification per usual Prime but it showed up before lunch time so no complaints there.

First off, while the Blu-ray release is a decent upgrade from the older US dvd, that comment comes with a major caveat. The Blu-ray transfer while appearing to come from the same source as the near-decade old dvd, is noticeably darker, especially during the night scenes such as when Godzilla attacks the train in the mountains. Fine detail is better on the Blu-ray, but the quality of the print as with the older Universal dvd varies wildly between some scenes, some scenes look exceedingly grainy while most scenes involving human actors look pretty good. Obviously, some of the bluescreen work looks the worst (the octopus scene has always looked terrible) but there's numerous scenes with no matte work that look pretty rough as well. There may be some DNR, but it isn't excessive, especially for Universal. My guess is they did a down and dirty 2k scan of their very good quality print in the last few years and slapped it on this release with no additional work.

This is about as bare-bones a disc as I've ever seen. No extras of any sort, not even a menu, the disc loads and starts the movie after a useless Ultraviolet ad. It's chapter encoded, but there's no other audio track besides English 2.0 mono (odd as this was Tohos first stereo soundtrack Godzilla movie when it was originally released) and subtitles are either English or French. This should be a $5 priced release.

I have this movie in the original Japanese cut as the laserdisc (both early 80's truncated Godzilla Death Battle champion cut and last "digital master" uncut laserdisc release) and cd jewel case dvd releases as well as the US English language dvd release via Universal so I did some comparisons.

Comparing the US dvd and especially Blu-ray release print and transfer quality to *any* of the Japanese (un)cut home video releases, the older US dvd and now Blu-ray release looks unquestionably better, due in large part to Toho not having ideal quality archival material when they assembled their now outdated digital master (the circumstances of which are discussed elsewhere on this forum). I am extremely curious how Tohos Blu-ray release will look when it comes out in July in Japan as the HD master originally done for the WOW HD channel about 7 years ago looked very impressive judging from screencaps.

I'm not a big fan of King Kong Escapes and will probably wait months until I see it in the bargain bin before even considering buying it.

#136 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer  /t/1181538/all-godzilla-movies-japanese-import-blu-ray-review-thread/120#post_24558389

Received and watched the Universal US English language cut of King Kong vs Godzilla this afternoon. I had placed my order through Amazon over the weekend and was a little concerned when I didn't get any sort of usual shipping notification per usual Prime but it showed up before lunch time so no complaints there.

First off, while the Blu-ray release is a decent upgrade from the older US dvd, that comment comes with a major caveat. The Blu-ray transfer while appearing to come from the same source as the near-decade old dvd, is noticeably darker, especially during the night scenes such as when Godzilla attacks the train in the mountains. Fine detail is better on the Blu-ray, but the quality of the print as with the older Universal dvd varies wildly between some scenes, some scenes look exceedingly grainy while most scenes involving human actors look pretty good. Obviously, some of the bluescreen work looks the worst (the octopus scene has always looked terrible) but there's numerous scenes with no matte work that look pretty rough as well. There may be some DNR, but it isn't excessive, especially for Universal. My guess is they did a down and dirty 2k scan of their very good quality print in the last few years and slapped it on this release with no additional work.

This is about as bare-bones a disc as I've ever seen. No extras of any sort, not even a menu, the disc loads and starts the movie after a useless Ultraviolet ad. It's chapter encoded, but there's no other audio track besides English 2.0 mono (odd as this was Tohos first stereo soundtrack Godzilla movie when it was originally released) and subtitles are either English or French. This should be a $5 priced release.

I have this movie in the original Japanese cut as the laserdisc (both early 80's truncated Godzilla Death Battle champion cut and last "digital master" uncut laserdisc release) and cd jewel case dvd releases as well as the US English language dvd release via Universal so I did some comparisons.

Comparing the US dvd and especially Blu-ray release print and transfer quality to *any* of the Japanese (un)cut home video releases, the older US dvd and now Blu-ray release looks unquestionably better, due in large part to Toho not having ideal quality archival material when they assembled their now outdated digital master (the circumstances of which are discussed elsewhere on this forum). I am extremely curious how Tohos Blu-ray release will look when it comes out in July in Japan as the HD master originally done for the WOW HD channel about 7 years ago looked very impressive judging from screencaps.

I'm not a big fan of King Kong Escapes and will probably wait months until I see it in the bargain bin before even considering buying it.

Thanks for the review! I always enjoy saving money and I knew my SDs would suffice. Now let's see what Sony does with those 4 double bills that come out in May.

#138 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector  /t/1181538/all-godzilla-movies-japanese-import-blu-ray-review-thread/120#post_24559767

Thanks for the review! I always enjoy saving money and I knew my SDs would suffice. Now let's see what Sony does with those 4 double bills that come out in May.

You can see some screen caps in this thread near the bottom of the page comparing the US dvd and Blu-ray releases:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=235851&page=16

#139 ·
When they brought out the new "Night of the Living Dead" BD, everyone went out and bought it. Come to find out it was so dark that I sold my TT copy for a hefty price and kept my SD.

Same with this, I'm keeping my SDs, screw the BDs, just because it comes out in BD doesn't mean it will always be better.

Thanks Partyslammer for the link to those screen caps from Blu-ray.com says it all...save your money!

#141 ·
Scifijapan is holding a contest to win all four of Sony's upcoming Godzilla double-feature Blu-Ray discs:

"To celebrate the 60th Anniversary of the Godzilla franchise, Sony is releasing double features of GODZILLA VS. KING GHIDORAH (1991) + GODZILLA AND MOTHRA: THE BATTLE FOR EARTH (1992), GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA II (1993) + GODZILLA VS. SPACEGODZILLA (1994), GODZILLA VS. DESTOROYAH (1995) + GODZILLA VS. MEGAGUIRUS (2000) and GODZILLA: TOKYO S.O.S. (2003) + GODZILLA: FINAL WARS (2004) on Blu-ray for the first time in North America. Each 2-Disc set will be available from retailers on May 6th (SRP: $19.99 each), but here is your chance to win all four for free!"

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2014/04/18/win-new-toho-godzilla-collection-blu-ray-sets-from-sony/

#142 ·
DVDTalk reviewed the Mecha-Godzilla/Space Godzilla Blu and apparently it's pretty bad. Like, don't replace your DVDs unless you just want to bad. I have low expectations overall for the Showa films, but I expect the Millenium Era films to be far better looking and sound better since they were made with better technology supporting them.

#144 ·
Well, I've watched them all except Final Wars and it's a pretty mixed bag. The ones with native 5.1 mixes (Godzilla VS Mecha-Godzilla II/Godzilla VS Space Godzilla/Godzilla X Megaguirus/Godzilla Tokyo SOS) sound very off with the sound effects being all over the place in terms of clarity and volume. The information about the original mixes is very contradictory as there is a lot of evidence that says some of the films got original 5.1 mixes for their release while the trailers, credits, and Japanese releases indicate the original mixes for all the modern films except for Return of Godzilla (Mono for Japanese and Dolby Stereo for US) and Final Wars (Dolby EX it seems) were in Dolby Stereo and received 5.1 re-mixes for DVD after their releases. That being said, I wish Sony had gotten the 5.1 re-mixes from Toho.

#145 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA  /t/1181538/all-godzilla-movies-japanese-import-blu-ray-review-thread/120#post_24767836

Well, I've watched them all except Final Wars and it's a pretty mixed bag. The ones with native 5.1 mixes (Godzilla VS Mecha-Godzilla II/Godzilla VS Space Godzilla/Godzilla X Megaguirus/Godzilla Tokyo SOS) sound very off with the sound effects being all over the place in terms of clarity and volume. The information about the original mixes is very contradictory as there is a lot of evidence that says some of the films got original 5.1 mixes for their release while the trailers, credits, and Japanese releases indicate the original mixes for all the modern films except for Return of Godzilla (Mono for Japanese and Dolby Stereo for US) and Final Wars (Dolby EX it seems) were in Dolby Stereo and received 5.1 re-mixes for DVD after their releases. That being said, I wish Sony had gotten the 5.1 re-mixes from Toho.

Return of Godzilla? That's not in this Sony Blu Ray batch... confused about if you are referring to the new US Blu Rays or something else....

#146 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorO  /t/1181538/all-godzilla-movies-japanese-import-blu-ray-review-thread/120#post_24773194

Return of Godzilla? That's not in this Sony Blu Ray batch... confused about if you are referring to the new US Blu Rays or something else....

I only mentioned it as a point of reference because I was talking about all of the modern Godzilla films and the information available about their production. Hence my use of "all the modern films" in the post. Still, I hope whomever gets the rights to it gives us the Toho remix cause I don't want the film in Mono.

#148 ·
More Godzilla (and Mothra!) Blu-rays Coming From Sony

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/...-releasing-more-godzilla-and-mothra-blu-rays/

More Toho BD sets from Sony on 9/9/14:

- Godzilla GMK (2001) / Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla (2002)
- Godzilla 2000 (both US and Japanese versions)
- Rebirth of Mothra Trilogy 1, 2 and 3

Unknown if the Godzilla 2000 set is one or two discs as well as how many discs for the Mothra set.

#149 ·
Horrible titles... when can we get a domestic subtitled version of war of the gargantuas and godzilla vs monster zero?

#151 ·
maybe I will have to break down and buy the Japanese version of WoG...

#152 ·
I received 5 of the Japanese import Blu-rays of the newly released Godzilla movies this week and watched them over the past few evenings. As I'm really primarily a fan of the 50's and 60's films, that's what I concentrated on this round which along with the previously released BDs from Japan a couple years ago, now rounds out my BD series collection up to "Destroy All Monsters."

Anyone familiar with Toho's region 2 Japanese DVD releases form over a decade ago will find few surprises in these Blu-ray releases. They all port over most of the extras and audio commentaries as well as the various 2001 - 2003 5.1 "remixed" audio tracks with movies like KK vs G and GRA including music and sound effects only audio track options. Like the older DVDs, the transfers run from "OK" to pretty good when you get into the mid 60's films.

The only real shocker is how bad the transfer is for "King Kong vs Godzilla." It uses the same digitally reconstructed source that's been used for all vhs, laserdisc and dvd releases (in Japan) since 1984 which was incredibly dodgy to begin with, but Toho went back and did some terrible contrast boosting, edge enhancement, color re-timing, etc for the HD release that results in the new BD looking awful. There's some instances where there's more detail visible in the image, but then there's horrible color timing that results in the image looking like a old 8mm brown sepia-toned home movie (the scene where Godzilla and Kong start battling on Mt Fuji). As several film sources were used to originally cobble together this uncut print in the mid 80's including a well worn 16mm rental, colors, contrast, detail etc shift wildly from scene to scene, sometimes in the *middle* of a shot. Many scenes sport massive halo'ing and ringing due to the contrast being pushed so high... it's a hot mess.

I rate the overall image/transfer quality as such 1 to 5, 5 being best:

Godzilla Raids Again - 3.0 (good print, a bit light without solid black levels)

King Kong vs Godzilla - 1.0 (terrible print, amateurish, dated and heavy-handed digital tinkering, upscaled vhs tape quality in places)

Invasion of the Astro Monsters - 4.0 (solid print and transfer, a little rough around the edges)

Son Of Godzilla - 4.0 (same as IOTAM, but a better shot film resulting in a tad nicer, sharper print)

Destroy All Monsters - 4.5 (very good print and transfer, better than US Media Blasters BD release)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.