AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Software (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/)
-   -   New Dawn Of The Dead And Night Of The Living Dead Release In October (UK) (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/1183013-new-dawn-dead-night-living-dead-release-october-uk.html)

dvdmike007 09-26-2009 10:56 AM

Dawn will be a HMV exclusive until March 2010

Quote:

Disc One (Blu Ray)
■Theatrical cut of the feature in 1080p High Definition
■DTS HD and Stereo audio options
■Audio commentary by director George A Romero, special effects artist Tom Savini and assistant director Chris Romero
■Audio commentary by producer Richard P. Rubinstein
■"Document of the Dead" documentary
■"Document of the Dead: The Lost Interview" and deleted scenes
■"Fan of the Dead" documentary

Disc Two (DVD)
■Director's cut of the feature
■"The Dead Will Walk" documentary

Disc Three (DVD)
■Dario Argento's cut of the feature
■"Scream Greats" documentary
■Publicity Vault containing US and German trailers, TV and Radio spots, reviews, Arrow Video's Giallo trailers ("Macabre", "Sleepless" and "The House by the Cemetery")

I can find very little on Night info bar this ad :

And this cover art shot

It is a Network release and the ad says a new master, but then so did the old Uk BRD

I will be double dipping on them both (as always the guinea pig)

Neo_Reloaded 09-26-2009 11:05 AM

Hmm. Well hopefully the new Night of the Living Dead is region free, and without the slight cropping / odd framing of the Optimum release.

dvdmike007 09-26-2009 11:08 AM

I have no real problems with the Optimum disc, now AB's Dawn disc don't get me started

sixfootse7en 09-26-2009 12:41 PM

Too bad that 2 out of 3 of Dawn's discs are DVDs.

dvdmike007 09-26-2009 12:54 PM

They could not get HD masters and it would have cost too much, but they did try.
I just hope its not the AB transfer

Timothy Ramzyk 09-26-2009 12:55 PM

Any chance at all these are region free???

Damnationdoormat 09-26-2009 04:40 PM

If I it's like Arrow's prior Dawn DVD, it's the Anchor Bay master.

dvdmike007 10-05-2009 12:13 PM

Night is a new disc
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...ing-dead5.html

Quote:

Network Releasing has announced the Blu-ray release of Night of the Living Dead for the 26th of October, priced at around £14.99. The film will be presented in 1.33:1 with Mono audio, and the disc will include a trailer. Here's the artwork.

The extras are missing so may be a new master, its def not a reprint

Doug Schiller 10-05-2009 01:02 PM

I own the uber Dawn of the Dead DVD box and the AB Blu-Ray so it looks like I have everything already.

Timothy Ramzyk 10-05-2009 02:04 PM

yes, but will it be region free this time around?

dvdmike007 10-05-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

I own the uber Dawn of the Dead DVD box and the AB Blu-Ray so it looks like I have everything already.

Unless its a new master for dawn, not the horrible mess AB put out

Doug Schiller 10-06-2009 05:37 AM

It's funny how many crap on the AB transfer.
I seem to remember, at the time, it was pretty well received.
I have no issue with it. It is fairly representative of the master I think.
It is not like Halloween where they changed the color timing.

Something tells me with this release, they are just reusing what is already available.
The fact that the other versions are regular DVDs speak volumes.

I don't know the contract lengths but I bet Anchor Bay reissues the box set for Blu-Ray.

dvdmike007 10-06-2009 07:49 AM

The levels of DNR are apalling in dawn and day, also evil dead 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3a8IRGZ5Co
HD clip from the new Night disc, looks to be a diff master

Filmmaker 10-06-2009 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

And there are major scratches throughout that clip. How does this compare to the BD that's already out (and region-locked so I can't make use of it, grrr)? Either way, this Network release is an easy pass for me now.

dvdmike007 10-06-2009 08:02 AM

The Optimum disc did not have the scratches afaik, but this is region feee

Dot50Cal 10-06-2009 02:52 PM

Hah, The artist who did the boxart (is it final?) used assets from a video game made by Capcom. Resident Evil Outbreak, infact the arm was on the UK cover for the game. Pretty blatant.

http://pici.se/482397/

Ladic 10-06-2009 03:01 PM

Is the new Dawn of the Dead transfer better than the one currently out? and will it come to the US?

Timothy Ramzyk 10-06-2009 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Wow, seems kinda contrasty with blown out whites, or is it just me?

The Weinstein DVD could still be the best region A/1 option

Sporadic 10-06-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk View Post

Wow, seems kinda contrasty with blown out whites, or is it just me?

The Weinstein DVD could still be the best region A/1 option

Yeah, that looks like ass compared to the other Blu-Ray out.

Compare this screenshot from the MKV 720p rip to the video

You can actually see the faces and details compared to the pure white in the trailer.

Timothy Ramzyk 10-07-2009 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post

Yeah, that looks like ass compared to the other Blu-Ray out.

Compare this screenshot from the MKV 720p rip to the video

You can actually see the faces and details compared to the pure white in the trailer.

Funny thing is it looks as if it's taken from a solid source, but the contrast is way too high.

Think there is any chance it's just how it's looking on this YouTube clip & that the actual Blu-ray won't be blown out like that?

Filmmaker 10-07-2009 05:15 AM

Quote:

Funny thing is it looks as if it's taken from a solid source, but the contrast is way too high.

How do you define "solid source"? Again, there are major scratches evident throughout that clip. For all intents and purposes, this looks like just any old public domain print slapped on a BD and labeled "high def".

Timothy Ramzyk 10-07-2009 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post

How do you define "solid source"? Again, there are major scratches evident throughout that clip. For all intents and purposes, this looks like just any old public domain print slapped on a BD and labeled "high def".

I define it as a source taken from a original neg or first generation 35mm print, scratch are issues of condition not image fidelity.

To me this does not look like some multi-generational 16mm dupe was used, and it looks like the source could have provided more detail and levels of contrast, but someone messed up in the mastering or post-techline process. It doesn't have the soft, smeary, look of a multi-generation source. For instance, I can see the subtle pattern on the shirt of the zombie who's eating the intestines, that detail would not have made it through on a source that wasn't pretty close to the neg and didn't have decent range to begin with.

Filmmaker 10-07-2009 06:47 PM

Quote:

scratch are issues of condition not image fidelity.

Okay, but again, a scratched print, to me, negates the label "solid source". You never said "strictly from an image fidelity point of view"...

Timothy Ramzyk 10-07-2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Okay, but again, a scratched print, to me, negates the label "solid source". You never said "strictly from an image fidelity point of view"...

and honestly a small scratch, a speck here and there, even a reel-change mark have never sent me off the deep end nearly so much as a dupey, faded, or heavily manipulated image. I used to collect films on film, so within reason I don't mind tiny reminders that this was once emulsion on acetate.

Filmmaker 10-08-2009 07:51 AM

Quote:

and honestly a small scratch...have never sent me off the deep end nearly so much as a dupey, faded, or heavily manipulated image.

But let's be fair, I'm not talking about a tiny scratch, I'm talking about two separate, sizable scratches that alternate, running from frame top to bottom, throughout almost the entirety of that clip. It's invasive enough to "send me off the deep end".

Timothy Ramzyk 10-08-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

But let's be fair, I'm not talking about a tiny scratch, I'm talking about two separate, sizable scratches that alternate, running from frame top to bottom, throughout almost the entirety of that clip. It's invasive enough to "send me off the deep end".

Honestly, if I knew this this release was not the high-contrast image I'm seeing, those scratches wouldn't put me off the purchase. They are noticeable, but kinda flickery and faint, nothing like the deep floor-to-ceiling scratches I'd associate with a badly worn print.

If someone were selling the film used for that clip it would be described as in "very good" condition with occasional light lines.

Filmmaker 10-08-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Honestly, if I knew this this release was not the high-contrast image I'm seeing, those scratches wouldn't put me off the purchase. They are noticeable, but kinda flickery and faint, nothing like the deep floor-to-ceiling scratches I'd associate with a badly worn print.

If someone were selling the film used for that clip it would be described as in "very good" condition with occasional light lines.

Fair enough, your call. For me, I've seen far better prints of this film used for SD-DVD, so I know the Hi-Def bar for NotLD can go much higher.

Timothy Ramzyk 10-08-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Fair enough, your call. For me, I've seen far better prints of this film used for SD-DVD, so I know the Hi-Def bar for NotLD can go much higher.

I've had 2 film prints, 2 VHS, 1 laserdisc, and 4 DVDs of this title. I'm determined to spend $1000 on it before I die.

Seriously though, I am curious about this one, if it were not for the postage Id have a look. Part of me thinks I should just spring for a region-free player and snag the other disk, or wait for the inevitable US release.

dvdmike007 10-15-2009 01:08 PM

My copy got posted a few days ago (dawn) and some screen shots have popped up

Looks like a new master and not the gwad awful AB one.

Blood Pie 10-15-2009 01:15 PM

Where is Xylon when you need him? I want to see some comparison shots. The screencaps you posted look better than what my memory recalls from the U.S. version but I can;t tell if its just been manipulated or its a new better master...