AVS Forum banner

Lesser-known Movies on Blu-ray Worth Checking Out

12K views 141 replies 68 participants last post by  Foxy7 
#1 ·
Inspired by a similar, long-running thread in the DVD area , I thought I'd ask for your recommendations of lesser-known movies from the last few years that you've discovered on Blu-ray as blind buys or just stumbled upon. Post why you liked the Blu-rays..the movie itself turned out to be good and/or PQ/AQ made it a better guilty pleasure or home theater experience than DVD would've. I'll get it started...

Taken (2009)

Was lesser-known when I saw it
. Got lukewarn reviews from critics, but I imported the Blu-ray from the UK (based on some member comments) while it was still in threatres in the U.S. Liked the movie better than I expected; gripping action from start to finish. Neeson makes this movie work. Blu-ray PQ and 5.1 DTS-HD MA being first-rate helped make this a fun ride.

Adventureland (2009)

Found out about it based on Ralph's review and ended up enjoying it more than I thought. Not another crude comedy, but the kind of coming-of-age type movies I enjoyed from the 80's. It may be a little formulaic, but it's got a good story and well-drawn characters. Good PQ/AQ on the Blu-ray. The 80's music made up want to listen to my old Replacements, Smiths, Cure and other CDs.

The Visitor (2008)

A blind buy. Not a showy movie for Blu-ray (it's mostly dialogue), but it's a very good character-driven piece about how people from diverse backgrounds can connect, immigration boundaries aside.

Two Lovers (2008)

Another find thanks to Ralph . I liked this better than I'd expected. Hope Joaquin Phoenix returns to acting after his silly beard/quitting stunt as this movie proves how good he can be. The Blu-ray's PQ and AQ do the job; again, not a showy presentation.

The International (2009)

Like 'Taken', it got lukewarn reviews, but turned out to be a pretty gripping thriller. I like Clive Owen and he doesn't disappoint in this one. Blu-ray PQ and AQ are excellent.

Traitor (2008)

Passed off as another clichéd outing by several critics, I liked this mideast/terrorism thriller better than I'd expected, more so than another recent thriller in this mold, 'Body of Lies'. It tells the story from inside out of jihadists and Don Cheadle's character turns out to not be who we're led to believe from the beginning. Very good PQ and Dolby TrueHD audio.

Black Book (2006)

Fantastic German WWII drama from Paul Verhoeven (hard to believe it's the from the same guy who made 'Starship Troopers'). Really absorbing & enjoyable considering it's a holocaust film. Great Blu-ray (PQ and AQ), w/the exception of subtitles not being CIH-friendly.

Sunshine (2007)

Good sci-fi film, a thinking person's sci-fi like '2001'. Not as good, but very absorbing. Top-notch PQ and DTS-HD MA track.

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

Superb Spanish fantasy/war film. I'd read raving reviewing on this one, and the raves were justified. I have the UK Blu-ray, which doesn't have the DNR issue the U.S. disc does. PQ and AQ (7.1 DTS-HD MA) are out of this world! Update: I was mistaken...only DD5.1 track, but still good.

Transsiberian (2008)

Above-average thriller set on a Siberian train ride from China to Russia. Nothing standout about the Blu-ray, but it does the job.

Tell No One (2006)

Terrific French mystery/thriller with lots of twists. You almost need to watch it twice, but it all fits together. Very good Blu-ray PQ. No lossless 5.1 audio however.

I'm sure I'm missing several. I have small kids and hardly ever go to a movie theater, but discovering movies at home beats doing so in multiplexes anyway for those of us who've made decent home theaters. I've got the following in my queue to watch next...

- Appaloosa

- The Counterfeiters

- Defiance

- The Duchess

- Duplicity

- Easy Virtue

- The Fall

- The Other Boleyn Girl

- Redbelt

Lesser-known Movies on Blu-ray That Should Stay Lesser Known

- Burn After Reading (may be the first dumb Coen brothers flick I thought was a waste of time)

- Ghost Town (so boring/dull, had to turn it off after 1/2 hour)

- I've Loved You So Long (depressing movie, good acting, but not much else)

- Married Life (marital infedelity, but not much to see here)

- Sunshine Cleaning (an okay movie at best, but very forgettable)

See less See more
#105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwagner /forum/post/17406112

Especially the audio.

I wouldn't agree with "especially the audio". The difference in PQ between the DVD and Blu-ray is bigger than the difference in SQ in my opinion.

#107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/17406558

My favorite little known flick is "Step into Liquid". Surfing documentary.

Saw that and loved it also. Check out Riding Giants another little seen surfing documentary that is every bit as entertaining.

#108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh /forum/post/17392760

Watched it last night. Little depressing & slow, with an ending that disappoints at first, but I liked it better after thinking about it more. Not a movie I care to watch again, but it's worth a rental if you're in a mood for a decent character-driven movie about loss, one's conscience & how friendship affects us.

Another terrific Blu-ray not yet mentioned is The World's Fastest Indian (2005) with the great Anthony Hopkins. The Blu-ray is MPEG2 (vs. VC-1 on the HD DVD) and 1.78:1 open-matte from a Super35 source (as opposed to 2.35:1 theatrically), but it still looks quite good to me. Having never seen the 2.35:1 version, the 1.78:1 framing doesn't show anything it shouldn't at the top/bottom (at least to my eyes). Would've preferred the scope version as I have a 2.37:1 screen, but oh well, it matters not when the movie is so good.

WFI is a great film. Why this was not released this in scope like the theater is beyond me.
I'm glad I have this recorded on dvhs from hdnet since it was shown in scope.

#110 ·
Antwone Fisher

#111 ·
A Clockwork Orange

#112 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT /forum/post/17414262

A Clockwork Orange

Please tell me that we have not got to the point where a film like "A Clockwork Orange" is a "lesser known movie"!

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdssrugby /forum/post/17414815

Ya,Clockwork Orange is pretty well know. The only English language film that I needed subtitles for (and English is my first language).

American History X is more well-known and a couple of people have mentioned that movie here.

#120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R o d /forum/post/17415826

You're kidding, right? You must have been born in the 80's or 90's, my friend.

Yes I was. I guess that explains it.
When I was in high school (which was over 6 years ago), many of my classmates knew of the movie American History X. But with Clockwork Orange, people gave me puzzled looks when I would bring up that movie. Like you said, it probably has to do with when you were born since one movie is from the 70s and one is from the late 90s.

#122 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT /forum/post/17415833

Yes I was. I guess that explains it.
When I was in high school (which was over 6 years ago), many of my classmates knew of the movie American History X. But with Clockwork Orange, people gave me puzzled looks when I would bring up that movie. Like you said, it probably has to do with when you were born since one movie is from the 70s and one is from the late 90s.

"A Clockwork Orange" is famous this side of the pond because it was withdrawn, at Kubrick's request, in the UK for so many years. It was only viewable in cinemas, on TV and on pre-recorded release after his death.

As such it was much talked about by teenagers thoughout the 80s!

#123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 /forum/post/17419963

"A Clockwork Orange" is famous this side of the pond because it was withdrawn, at Kubrick's request, in the UK for so many years. It was only viewable in cinemas, on TV and on pre-recorded release after his death.

Very true - my own first viewing of it was on a scratty VHS tape (that also had Reservoir Dogs on it) that was being passed around at school

#125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 /forum/post/17419963

I see. I stand corrected then. Many people I knew have never heard of the film so I thought it was lesser known. I knew it was popular during its time; I just didn't realize it was still popular now.

#126 ·
I have to second Zodiac. Very well acted movie with excellent video quality. The second disc has some of the best supplemental documentaries I have seen, including interviews with retired police and survivors from the actual crimes. One survivor of the attacks even revisits the crime scene where his girl friend was killed and discusses his experience. Very creepy stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.