NEW Audio Tier Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3127 Old 12-04-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, I asked people to state their top 3 whenever they made a new post/ranking. Only a few did.
I'll state mine again since I have a new #3...

1. The Bourne Ultimatum
2. Star Trek
3. Terminator Salvation

As for scenes....

1. Gas station sequence in Terminator Salvation
2. NYC chase scene in Bourne Ultimatum
3. Train scene in Wanted
4. Ending city battle in Transformers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3127 Old 12-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1. Incredible Hulk
2. Fight Club
3. Bourne Ultimatum
post #363 of 3127 Old 12-04-2009, 09:58 AM

Liked: 11
I'm liking this scenes approach to rating audio. The movie's audio may be sub-reference in general, but sometimes it's that one scene that really makes one audio shine for one's HT. We should have a sub category for demo worthy reference scenes to show off the audio.

Here's my one scene for reference audio:

1. Kung Fu Panda - Tai Lung's escape from the cave/prison.

That scene has everything. Awesome LFE, awesome surround effects, good dynamics...just everything about this scene is demo worthy.
post #364 of 3127 Old 12-04-2009, 01:49 PM

My favorite 3 audio demos:

1. Live Free or Die Hard
2. Cloverfield
3. Terminator: Salvation

There are so many more though: Ratatouille, Black Hawk Down, Transformers, Quantum of Solace, etc.
post #365 of 3127 Old 12-04-2009, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't decide which 3 are my top favorites for audio. My go to demo is the last 20 minutes of Max Payne (too bad the movie itself isn't good).
post #366 of 3127 Old 12-04-2009, 06:38 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Really tough call for me, but I'd say, without reservation...

Star Trek
Transformers (the first one)

The third one if I was forced to pick three, would be a toss up between several, but I know ST and TF are two of my favs.

A go to scene that I use to demo new equipment is the end battle in Transformers. Also, as someone mentioned, the Tai Lung escape from KFP.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #367 of 3127 Old 12-04-2009, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My 3 audio demo discs as of now:

Star Trek
Terminator: Salvation
The Incredible Hulk

Panasonic 60GT30
Denon X4100
Oppo BDP-103
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST CS-8060HD SR-8040BP ProMonitor 800 Front Height
Yamaha NS-AW190 on ceiling speakers Top Middle
SVS 2x PC12-NSD
post #368 of 3127 Old 12-04-2009, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 3

Dialogue is clear. Surrounds used for ambience, music, occasionally for action. Missed opportuniites for surround use. Limited dynamic range. Lacking LFE. Effects are natural sounding.

Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 2

I was disappointed in the lack of surround use, a lot of missed opportunities. Sound is generally directed from the front. Dialogue clear and crisp as was the music. A few discrete sounds. Nothing memorable. LFE was appropriate, not really a factor.
post #369 of 3127 Old 12-05-2009, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Dead Calm (TrueHD 2.0 Stereo) - Tier 3

Dialogue was clear, not as hollow and one-dimensional as some older movies. Surround use wasn't appreciated but on a few occasions in the music and sound of the water lapping on the side of the boat. LFE not present, limited dynamic range.

And now on to watch Terminator Salvation.
post #370 of 3127 Old 12-05-2009, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post

TERMINATOR SALVATION: REFERENCE

I knew this would sound great on BD when I saw it in the theater, however I didn't expect it to sound as fantastic as it does. What can I say but very articulate dialog, excellent score presentation and I do believe I heard more detail in this action mix than i've heard since Master and Commander.

Amazing track!!

Bought it today. The LFEs are insane! I love it!
post #371 of 3127 Old 12-06-2009, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I have to agree with all others. Terminator Salvation has beaten all others in Sound Quality. This movie has surpass all other previous demo movies. It is now the best rocking movie ever made.

The harvester scene and following chapter is non stop action. 20 solid minutes of foundation shaking sound. I was grinning just like this: All of the scenes inside Cyberdyne sounded great. My four subwoofers were panting like dogs after the movie was over.

I do not know why ppl are saying that they didn't like the plot. If you somewhat forget the other movies in the series this was as good as the other ones. Maybe it was the SQ that made the difference to me.

Cudos to McG. Hope you make another one.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #372 of 3127 Old 12-06-2009, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1. Kung Fu Panda: the prison escape scene is also my favorite but the firework scene at the beginning and the end fight are also very nice.
2. Die Hard 4.0: the gass company explostion and bridge demolition are very nice.
3. Iron Man: the first jet-feet hoover testing scene and end fight.

Also shouldn't forget The Dark Knight: the hospital explotion.

Still have to see a lot of new BD's like Up, fight club and Star Trek. I won't even waste my time and money with Terminator Samvation and Transformers 2. I not only hate the movies, I think the bass fetish tires me.

I wonder when "Poseidon" finally arives on BD as I loved the sound on DVD already.

Display: Optoma HD70
Player: PS3
Receiver: Pioneer 1015
Fronts / surrounds: SVS SBS-01
Centre: SVS SCS-01
Sub: SVS PC13 Ultra
post #373 of 3127 Old 12-06-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (DTS-HD MA) Tier 2

I see the first NatM movie is Tier 2 which I agree with. The sequel doesn't improve the sound design very much. Like scubawoman noted, many missed opportunities for better overall envelopment. Surrounds not used to full extent.
post #374 of 3127 Old 12-06-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

I new TS would be a favorite. I so called it.
Now to see if people prefer it over Trek... Lets be honest everyone likes the sounds of machine guns more than phasers, plus Terminator has one of the Transformers. And flying things like in Joe, but only bigger and more kick ass.

Terminator Salvation (DTS-MA 5.1) - Reference

It's been a while since I watched Cloverfield or Incredible Hulk. For me Salvation has some of the best LFE I've heard in a long time. Fight Club and Star Trek have really good LFE as well but the lows Salvation attains and for the length of time is amazing. The gas station scene all the way through to where they reach the canyon is one long demo LFE fest, definitely amazing. LFE was used for effects, not in the music in place of effects as I felt was the case in Transformers Revenge of the Fallen (which as you all know I didn't rate near reference at all). Salvation had a fair number of discrete sounds as well but not as many as Fight Club and Star Trek. Fight Club and Star Trek also had more clear crisp sounds. For me they all belong in reference but I couldn't say which mix I liked best as I like all of them for different reasons. Still can't choose my top 3 for audio quality out of the reference titles, I love them all.

FilmMixer, do you know of any discs that have information about how the audio mixes are done? They always include special features about special effects, sets etc. but I don't ever recall any about sound. I found it interesting that as far as I can recall the credits actually showed the ILM people and re-recording mixers at the beginning of the credits before all the rest. I seem to like a lot of DM Hemphill's mixes. (He was on Max Payne as well).
post #375 of 3127 Old 12-06-2009, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Yeah I wish disc producers would treat the sound department just as interesting as the visual one they treat when it comes to extras on discs. And I'm not talking about the composer and music scoring which we had seen many times.

Trick 'R Treat (Dolby THD) Tier 1

Slightly above the typical horror jump mixes that this genre usually produce, much like the film itself, but not quiet at the level of "The Strangers". Very good use of surrounds, check out the "dog walking around in the house upstairs " while it's owner downstairs looking for him. Reminds me of M&C. just a bit there. Dynamics are very good, and once again the entire frequency range is being used not just the bass alone, welcome trend here. Dialog music effects all balanced nicely, but at the end of the day just wasn't all that exciting. Still not bad at all.

Up (DTS HD MA) Tier 1

This is weakest track I heard from Pixar to date[can't say I was blown away by Toy Story 1 either but not on BD yet], just below of Wall E though I rated both tier 1. Wall E had more detail to the mix on the non action scenes. Granted Wall E had far more characters on screen for most of the times compared to Up as well. Anyway once again technically this as good as it gets but from a demo POV all that has been heard many times before. Excellent score however, another great one from Giacchino .

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #376 of 3127 Old 12-06-2009, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Four Christmases (TrueHD) - Tier 3

Nothing remarkable. Sound was clear. Dialogue driven with sound directed from the front. Surround use not appreciated. LFE appropriate for the movie.

Air America (DTS-MA 7.1) - Tier 1

Dialogue was clear, at times a bit hollow and one-dimensional but for the most part it wasn't. Surrounds were used for ambience, action, and music, especially effective in the music. The biggest drawback was LFE was really lacking. Overall considering its age I felt is was pretty good compared to some of the new releases with front heavy sound.
post #377 of 3127 Old 12-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

FilmMixer, do you know of any discs that have information about how the audio mixes are done? They always include special features about special effects, sets etc. but I don't ever recall any about sound. I found it interesting that as far as I can recall the credits actually showed the ILM people and re-recording mixers at the beginning of the credits before all the rest. I seem to like a lot of DM Hemphill's mixes. (He was on Max Payne as well).

Yeah! I always wish some of the big budget films would spend some time on sound design/mixing features and behind the scenes but they usually spend like a minute on it, if it all.
post #378 of 3127 Old 12-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Up (DTS-MA) tier 1

This track had a very generic quality to my ears. Nothing tech wrong with it, but certainly nothing memorable either. Certainly no demo material in this one for the purposes of this thread. Was more front heavy than I expected as well......I really think some of the other recent BR releases both new and catalog (Star Trek, TS, Fight Club) made this more apparent. Overall solid, but forgettable.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #379 of 3127 Old 12-06-2009, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:

Doug also mixed "Master and Commander," "Walk the Line," "The Day After Tomorrow" "Air Force One" and "The Rundown," which are all superb mixes, all of which I would consider in the top 5 in the years they came out.... he is, in a word, awesome.

It's really hard to do vs. any other area of film making because it isn't as easy to explain or show as locations, editing or visual effects....

I forget which one of the films it is, but on the LOTR set there are a couple different pieces about the mixing process spread out over a couple of the films...

I actually prepared a "demo" that is on the "Monster" DVD and BR (which is terribly out of sync, unfortunately ) that allows you to listen to only the dialog, music, effects or a mixture of the three... it's not a great demo, but interesting to hear the elements separated.

Also, and I'm a bit embarrassed about it, but I filmed a segment for the Science Channels "The Science of Movies" that is going to air early 2010 The reason I'm a little sensitive about it is that I had a double ear infection at the time, and I was almost deaf in both ears.. it wasn't too much fun, to say the least, and I don't think I contributed too much to the segment...

It's hard to do sound in a 10-15 minute segment, and I'll be curious to see how it came out.. it's a fun show if you haven't seen it, and Nar is really enthusiastic about films.
post #380 of 3127 Old 12-06-2009, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Doug also mixed "Master and Commander," "Walk the Line," "The Day After Tomorrow" "Air Force One" and "The Rundown," which are all superb mixes, all of which I would consider in the top 5 in the years they came out.... he is, in a word, awesome.

It's really hard to do vs. any other area of film making because it isn't as easy to explain or show as locations, editing or visual effects....

I forget which one of the films it is, but on the LOTR set there are a couple different pieces about the mixing process spread out over a couple of the films...

I actually prepared a "demo" that is on the "Monster" DVD and BR (which is terribly out of sync, unfortunately ) that allows you to listen to only the dialog, music, effects or a mixture of the three... it's not a great demo, but interesting to hear the elements separated.

Also, and I'm a bit embarrassed about it, but I filmed a segment for the Science Channels "The Science of Movies" that is going to air early 2010 The reason I'm a little sensitive about it is that I had a double ear infection at the time, and I was almost deaf in both ears.. it wasn't too much fun, to say the least, and I don't think I contributed too much to the segment...

It's hard to do sound in a 10-15 minute segment, and I'll be curious to see how it came out.. it's a fun show if you haven't seen it, and Nar is really enthusiastic about films.

Thanks for your info. again. Hopefully your ears stay healthy. Hopefully you don't have allergies or at least have a good primary doctor or ENT.
I've got Monsters Inc. on blu-ray, haven't watched it yet but will check it out. I don't have any of the Lord of the Rings, I never got into those.
Let us know when the segment is going to air. I'd love to watch it and I'm sure others in this thread are interested as well.
On the Fight Club blu-ray there was special feature where you can play around with the mix as well but I don't think I was doing it right and couldn't get it to work for some reason.
post #381 of 3127 Old 12-06-2009, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've got Monsters Inc. on blu-ray, haven't watched it yet but will check it out. .

I was referring to "Monster" with Charlize Theron... wish I had worked on M. Inc...
post #382 of 3127 Old 12-06-2009, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Bridget Jones's Diary (UK release region-free) (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 1

Pleasant sounding, especially the music. Dialogue was clear. Surround use for ambience, the little action there was and for music. LFE appropriate. A few discrete sounds.
post #383 of 3127 Old 12-06-2009, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was referring to "Monster" with Charlize Theron... wish I had worked on M. Inc...

Ok, I've got it on dvd, will check it out.
I'm looking forward to A Perfect Getaway.
post #384 of 3127 Old 12-06-2009, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, I've got it on dvd, will check it out.
I'm looking forward to A Perfect Getaway.

I wasn't a big fan of the director's cut, and the mix for it was really rushed..... I'm really hoping the theatrical is also included on the BR.
post #385 of 3127 Old 12-06-2009, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wasn't a big fan of the director's cut, and the mix for it was really rushed..... I'm really hoping the theatrical is also included on the BR.

According to blu-ray.com both are supposed to be on the blu-ray.
I usually watch the director's cut but if you say the theatrical release is better I will watch that one.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3609

I wish the director's, etc. would leave the details to the experts as yourself to put out a better movie than rush it for release. The one thing that really impressed me in Salvation's special features was the comments McG made regarding wanting to do it right. I was really impressed with his integrity, wanting to do justice to the oveall finished project. Wanting the most bang for explosions, etc.
post #386 of 3127 Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

According to blu-ray.com both are supposed to be on the blu-ray.
I usually watch the director's cut but if you say the theatrical release is better I will watch that one.

I wish the director's, etc. would leave the details to the experts as yourself to put out a better movie than rush it for release. The one thing that really impressed me in Salvation's special features was the comments McG made regarding wanting to do it right. I was really impressed with his integrity, wanting to do justice to the oveall finished project. Wanting the most bang for explosions, etc.

Since most of the studios are now run by ex-marketing execs, release dates and bottom lines are, unfortunately, they driving force behind a lot of decisions..
post #387 of 3127 Old 12-06-2009, 10:44 PM

Are you guys who have reviewed Terminator Salvation BR already watching the Theatrical version or the Directors cut? And is there a difference in the sound?
post #388 of 3127 Old 12-06-2009, 10:50 PM

Liked: 11
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - LPCM 5.1 - Tier 1

Pretty unimpressive audio. Large portions of the movie could have used the surrounds more. LFE used at times were ok. Nothing to write home about. This BR is just waiting to be redone in DTS-MA.
post #389 of 3127 Old 12-06-2009, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman76 View Post

Are you guys who have reviewed Terminator Salvation BR already watching the Theatrical version or the Directors cut? And is there a difference in the sound?

I watched the Director's Cut, don't know if there is a difference with this movie. FilmMixer may know.
post #390 of 3127 Old 12-06-2009, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Up (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 1

Dialogue is clear throughout. Surround use for music and some action. LFE pretty good at times. A few discrete sounds. I agree with toe and thehun, nothing really memorable, not bad but not great. Other Pixar movies were more impressive.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Master And Commander The Far Side Of The World Blu Ray , Casino Royale Blu Ray , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , How To Train Your Dragon , Iron Man 2 Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur , Kung Fu Panda Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , A Bugs Life Blu Ray , Monsters Inc Blu Ray , Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu Ray , Toy Story Trilogy Blu Ray 3d , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , The Conjuring Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray Dvd Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray 3d Combo Pack , Oblivion Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Kill Bill Volume 1 Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Rises Limited Edition Bat Cowl Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Last St
Gear in this thread - Last by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page