Forum Jump: 

Old 12-13-2009, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

NOTE TO BRYAN: I noticed "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" in both Tier 2 and 3... noticed it because I just started working on the "quote, unquote" sequel.

Wow, thanks for catching that!

I'm in the middle of a, uh, comprehensive update of the list (which is one reason I haven't updated it for the past few weeks), so I'll be sure to pay special attention to the appropriate ranking for that mix after I've recorded all the votes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MASK OF ZORRO: TIER 1

I'm ranking this a very high Tier 1.

First of all, am I the only one who felt the audio was better the second half of the film over the first? Outside the ambience of the opening execution scene, I was underwhelmed with the sound of gunfire and some of the other sound effects, ironically those same sounds are more articulate and clear in the second half?

Weird.

Dialogue was mostly good, though there were moments not so stellar. Score was pretty well mixed, though not on the level of the best. Surround presence and ambience was very good througout, I just felt there were some moments that lacked inner detail that I was expecting.

Still and all, a very good track and a very highly rated 1 tier title.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have 4 that have been tiered...

"We Were Soldiers" DTS-HD MA (Reference)(also listed in Tier 2 for DTS-HD for the Domestic Paramount release)

"In The Valley Of Elah" and "Superbad" Tier 1

"The Bucket List" Tier 4

For the record, I mix about 6-9 films a year, and have mixed around 120... so my tiered films account for ~3% of my body of work.

NOTE TO BRYAN: I noticed "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" in both Tier 2 and 3... noticed it because I just started working on the "quote, unquote" sequel.

You missed my Tier 0 placement of Set if Off, I know you weren't the mixer per se but you worked on it.

Here were my comments: It is a litle difficult to hear dialogue in the very beginning of the movie but I think it is more due to the actors speaking quickly rather than the mix as the rest of the dialogue is clear. LFE is at times significant mainly in the helicopter scenes (especially in the last 20 min.) but also at other times with action and music throughout the movie. At times the action and music could have used more LFE. Rumbling bass on a few occasions. Surround use throughout with good directionality for action and ambience. Discrete sounds such as glass breaking, autowinder of a camera. I enjoyed this mix.

Some may wonder why I would rate this in a higher tier than Transformers Revenge of the Fallen. For my taste this mix brings more all around sound quality including discrete sounds and LFE in the effects. The music generally has good LFE but the music doesn't substitute for LFE in the action as I feel it often did in TROF.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowucmenowudont View Post

The point you make in your post would not apply to either PeterTHX or FilmMixer since they have that technical knowledge.

For the most part, this and the PQ thread are "what I like" threads rather than, "what is technically right" threads. The PQ thread is an eye candy thread about what looks good rather than what is a faithful reproduction of the original. This thread is an ear candy thread for the most part.

I agree that this is an "ear candy" thread but since the lossless track is the same exact as what the studios have we don't have to worry about the technical faithfulness or artistic intent. The picture on the other hand has to go through conversion from film to digital and then gets encoded in a lossy form leaving a lot of room to talking about both artistic and technical merits.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
Old 12-14-2009, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hot Fuzz - High Tier-0

This is the type of LFE I was expecting out of Star Trek. Dynamics are first rate. Surrounds are active and enveloping. The effects during the mugshots are thumping and hits your bowels deep. Though the mix lacks the realism of Children of Men, the last 20 minutes keeps all channels super busy with sounds emanating from all directions accompanied by nice deep bass. No denying that the sound mix is cooked up but it suits the movie.

Braveheart (DTS-HD MA - UK Import) Tier-0 Voted Low Tier-0 initially. Thought I was too harsh. So, revised it to Tier-0 especially after comparing with Troy.

The Pursuit of Happyness (LPCM) - Tier-1

Folks here are discussing about the best sound mixes. For a change, I would like to mention a couple of disappointing sound mixes I have ever heard on Blu-ray:

1. Hancock
2. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (much better than Hancock but disappointing)
3. The Kingdom (better than Hancock)

Blu-ray : 340
Old 12-14-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Though the mix lacks the realism of Children of Men, the last 20 minutes keeps all channels super busy with sounds emanating from all directions accompanied by nice deep bass.

That's one I want to check out. I saw it on DVD back when it came out, but I've never seen or heard the BD.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

I agree that this is an "ear candy" thread but since the lossless track is the same exact as what the studios have we don't have to worry about the technical faithfulness or artistic intent. The picture on the other hand has to go through conversion from film to digital and then gets encoded in a lossy form leaving a lot of room to talking about both artistic and technical merits.

Didn't "FilmMixer" state that there are often new audio tracks produced for home release that are different than the theatrical versions? Not that there would be a clarity loss, but different balances among channels and changes in LFE content....???

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
Old 12-14-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post

Didn't "FilmMixer" state that there are often new audio tracks produced for home release that are different than the theatrical versions? Not that there would be a clarity loss, but different balances among channels and changes in LFE content....???

Lee

Yes. But we can now get a lossless version of it that is approved by the film makers.

Video is lossy, and sometimes compromises are made due to bandwidth and space limitations. We don't have to deal with tha in the audio realm anymore.

Plus we don't usually make wholesale changes (like DNR or EE) to the entire track like happens with some video encoding.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

In the end, there is nothing that is "technically" correct...

Making a soundtrack involves 1000's of decisions (from each sound effect and background ambience track is cut, to how the foley is walked and what is used, etc.... and then then mixing process, etc, etc...)

In the end, in only really matters if the soundtrack helps the director tell the story he is trying to tell....

Look at "Heat..." Some really sketchy dialog choices, so really bad sync issues that are technical in nature (i.e. some of the ambience changes are way out of sync, which I attribute to how the final mix was done), etc...

One of the least perfect (technically) tracks I've recently re-visited..

One of the best uses of sound for a 90's film.

In the end, that's what we are going for.... I know, for example, that one of my films in the Tier 4 category ("The Bucket List") had a profound effect for a lot of people (it also made a ton of money...)

If you asked, I couldn't give a checklist for what a technically perfect track would consist of... all I know is that if I'm watching a movie, and I am paying attention to the soundtrack, the director has failed at keeping me involved in the story they are trying to tell.... could be the sound, but it usually points to other issues (script and story foremost...)

Why I come to this tread is to hear what people are liking, and really trying to key into what makes a track dynamic and exciting... I'm always learning how to do that, and it's interesting to go back over the last 19 years of my work and see how it evolves, and continues involving....

It really is a pleasure knowing people really like what we as a community (i.e. post production sound) do.... that's why this thread is so valuable to me personally.. where else can you go to have people nit pick all of your work.. jk....... It really is a fresh perspective...

Keep it up.....

I totally agree. Post Sound Is a great place to work in Hollywood.
It's still fun every day even after 30 years!
Old 12-15-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

This is the type of LFE I was expecting out of Star Trek. Dynamics are first rate. Surrounds are active and enveloping. The effects during the mugshots are thumping and hits your bowels deep. Though the mix lacks the realism of Children of Men, the last 20 minutes keeps all channels super busy with sounds emanating from all directions accompanied by nice deep bass. No denying that the sound mix is cooked up but it suits the movie.

?

TREK has LFE to burn. Not the type you *hear* but the type you *feel.

Didn't somebody show bass response to something like 3Hz?

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
Old 12-15-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Ghost In The Shell 2.0 (DTS HD MA 6.1) Tier 1

This was a repurposed/mixed track by Skywalker sound, not just a remaster according to the back cover. I haven't made a direct comparison to the original[also on this disc], but without that I can say it does sound more coherent and robust, then what I remember from the DVD. This was a 6.1 ES Discrete encode which had an occasional good use of the extra channel in the back. The surround panning was very seamless, one sign of the new mix, as the old one sounded "choppy and jumpy" in this regard. Bass was good and served the picture well, but this isn't "Titan A. E." after all.
Dialog was clear but not very convincing that they emanate from the characters from the scene, and not because they were drawn. I did sampled the english track only, so the japanese track may do better in this regard. Music was recorded with good fidelity, this said to be a new score as well. All in all this is a definite step up as far the sound goes, so if you're a fan of this film you may wanna check it out.

The Hun
Old 12-15-2009, 02:27 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

?

I had no problem with the LFE in ST. I'm not sure, and could be dead wrong on this, but just guessing I'd say it didn't run as hot in some of the more audible (30-35hz and up) frequencies as say, Transformers 2 or the like. I'm probably wrong, but just a guess.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

?

Sure, but he was comparing the LFE to Hot Fuzz which is a dif (not better, just dif) animal as far as LFE is concerned IMO Star Trek has nice balanced DEEP LFE while Hot Fuzz has loud over the top in your face type LFE. Both are great and work for their respective film IMO, but if you were expecting Hot Fuzz type LFE from Star Trek, I can see how you could be let down to some degree since that was obviously not the LFE goal for that film.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 12-15-2009, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi FilmMixer, Any rumblings of when we might expect to get Lethal Weapon 3 and 4 in blu-ray?
Old 12-16-2009, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Inglorious Basterds (DTS-HD MA) Tier 0

Subtle when it needed to be, bombastic when required, this track has about everything and then some. Dialogue never an issue. Tremendous work done here folks.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:33 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Subtle when it needed to be, bombastic when required, this track has about everything and then some. Dialogue never an issue. Tremendous work done here folks.

I'm going to try and rent this one this weekend.

I guess the only two new movies left I'll be seeing this month worth mentioning for audio will be District 9 and 9.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Saw this last night and agree with the placement. Was hoping for more action sequences, but the lack of was made up by the tavern scene. Wow.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
Old 12-16-2009, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

Saw this last night and agree with the placement. Was hoping for more action sequences, but the lack of was made up by the tavern scene. Wow.

Yes, loved the tavern scene and loved the ending sequence at the cinema.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Harry Potter Year 6 ( Dolby THD) Tier 0

This is just what one can expect from this franchise. A very busy soundscape with constant use of all channels for most of the time. Excellent dynamics for both effects and music score. Dialog remains clear through out, and balance is spot on.

Ice Age 3 (DTS HD MA) Tier 0

This was a notch above it's predecessors, as it seems to have more action this time, and of course the dinos. Though the footfalls of the mama T-Rex and Rudy are inconsistent for time to time. Great surround coverage here when calls for it, dialog is top notch and convincing . Dynamics were relying heavily on the bass frequencies though, which to me a bit less effective to create "drama or tension". The score was OK but nonetheless recorded well. Balance was very good too.

Splinter (DTS HD MA 7.1) Tier 2

A rather low key presentation that seems to tried to concentrate on the visuals, and acting, both witch failed the viewer rather miserably, so we were left with a competent if not spectacular soundtrack. This should have sounded "creepy", but as I said the design remained low key. Bass was heavy at times, and dynamics were pretty good using the entire audio bandwidth. Dialog was good, but ambiance and surround usage was very limited, though one must realize that almost the entire film takes place at one indoor location. Still I think a more adventurous sound design could have helped the picture, and the get a better rating here as well.

The Hun
Old 12-17-2009, 06:15 AM

Good use of surrounds and plenty of "oomph" in the action sequences. Dialogue was never drowned out or muddy. LFE was solid when necessary. Just seemed to be lacking something that could push it into the Reference category
Old 12-18-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey guys here's an idea: BD's with Audio Tracks at a lower than normal volume should list how many decibels quiter than normal it is.

EXAMPLE:
Batman Begins: DDtruHD -7dbs
GI Joe: DTS HDMSTR -5dbs
Transformers 2 IMAX: DTSHDMSTR -4dbs

This way people can now how many decibels up they should turn it.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Really? We need this board to tell us how many decibels extra to turn our knobs? Plus, I don't know if it'll be standard for each individual.

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
Old 12-18-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Sure it will be standard.
Whatever volume you watch a movie at, you'll just turn it up that much till it's the correct volume.

Say you like a movie quiet like "-30" (I don't) but Batman Begins is softer than normal. Read the list to see the volume offset and compensate for it.
movies encoded with a lower than normal playback volume tend to create a false sense of lacking power- Like the whole Transformers 2 debate.

Also we should add note if the Film's soundtrack in intended for "Surround EX"
playback. Like Terminator Salvation, Spiderman 2-3, Star Trek XI, and Die Another Day.

Having a list of BD soundtracks should at least include notation of any volume offsets and Surround Back Matrix information.

That makes me awesome.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

Sure it will be standard.
Whatever volume you watch a movie at, you'll just turn it up that much till it's the correct volume.

Say you like a movie quiet like "-30" (I don't) but Batman Begins is softer than normal. Read the list to see the volume offset and compensate for it.
movies encoded with a lower than normal playback volume tend to create a false sense of lacking power- Like the whole Transformers 2 debate.

Also we should add note if the Film's soundtrack in intended for "Surround EX"
playback. Like Terminator Salvation, Spiderman 2-3, Star Trek XI, and Die Another Day.

Having a list of BD soundtracks should at least include notation of any volume offsets and Surround Back Matrix information.

Everybody set the MV where they feel like it, and one can only hope that they can read the back cover if a title is encoded in EX/ES, and if it is flagged correctly their hardware will tell them as well. If people wanna include any extra info with their ranking is all good, but it shouldn't be mandated. Personally I see no value to do this. YMMV.

The Hun
Old 12-18-2009, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Most Surround Ex titles are neither mentioned as being such on the box, and even less are flagged.

That makes me awesome.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

If people wanna include any extra info with their ranking is all good, but it shouldn't be mandated. Personally I see no value to do this. YMMV.

Agreed.

There's also the issue of needing more volume to fill a space or compensate for the number of bodies in the room. I use a small-ish bonus room next to our garage for a dedicated media room, and definitely don't need to crank it up past -18 or -17dB on my Onkyo to get it plenty loud. That's my reference listening level - past that point it (usually) becomes uncomfortable to listen to, and I begin having concerns about making a spectacle of myself in our neighborhood.

Just turn up the volume loud enough to where you feel you can comfortably assess the strengths/weaknesses of the mix. No need to make your house/apartment a regular stop for the police.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

You guys have made a list of audio tracks you like, shouldn't they have all relevant details added?

That makes me awesome.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Beckman View Post

Agreed.

There's also the issue of needing more volume to fill a space or compensate for the number of bodies in the room. I use a small-ish bonus room next to our garage for a dedicated media room, and definitely don't need to crank it up past -18 or -17dB on my Onkyo to get it plenty loud. That's my reference listening level - past that point it (usually) becomes uncomfortable to listen to, and I begin having concerns about making a spectacle of myself in our neighborhood.
Just turn up the volume loud enough to where you feel you can comfortably assess the strengths/weaknesses of the mix. No need to make your house/apartment a regular stop for the police.

I dont agree with the last part of your statement as a general rule..........this is all subjective and will be dif for each listener. Personally, I like my movies/concerts LOUD as this is where I feel the best experience is, but that is just me.

Is reference level in your system tech "0"?

loud enough is subjective While loud enough for you may be -17 or -18, I enjoy listening right around ref level (anywhere from +1 to -3) and I also have an Onkyo and a small HT room (12'x17.5'). Ref level for my system as calibrated with AVIA is "0"..........of course this can vary from disc to disc, but I dont ever turn the volume lower than -3 for BR movies. This is the comfortable volume level for me personally and yes it is LOUD.

Inglourious Basterds (DTS-MA) tier 0

Fantastic sounding track here. Dialog always loud and clear. Dynamics are fantastic, surround use for the most part is very good. LFE is very well done.........big, bombastic and LOUD when needed and subtle and more subdued when appropriate. Music as with all QT films plays a big role and really pulls you into the film.......awesome!

Old 12-19-2009, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

loud enough is subjective

If I am correct in isolating this as the main point of your post, then I think we're essentially saying the same thing. Since we can't go to each others' houses to compare relative loudness levels, we just have to assume that "loud enough" means what it means, and that whenever we're evaluating an audio track we're listening to it "loud enough." We'll just have to trust each other.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Beckman View Post

If I am correct in isolating this as the main point of your post, then I think we're essentially saying the same thing. Since we can't go to each others' houses to compare relative loudness levels, we just have to assume that "loud enough" means what it means, and that whenever we're evaluating an audio track we're listening to it "loud enough." We'll just have to trust each other.

Is "0" your reference volume level on your Onkyo with your calibrating? I know this is just one factor of many that could contribute to what loud enough is for each of us (dif rooms, dif ears, dif acoustics, dif in room FR, etc.......), but I find it interesting none the less that IF your ref level is "0" going off AVIA or DVE and mine is as well, how far apart we like to listen to our movies at. Not implying in any way that either of us are wrong by any means, but I do find it interesting.

You are right My main point was that there is no hard rule that you should "Just turn up the volume loud enough to where you feel you can comfortably assess the strengths/weaknesses of the mix" which was your statement..........I could do this at a much lower volume then I like to listen at, but it would not provide as exciting of an experience.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (TrueHD) tier 0

This was a very solid all around track and nothing to complain about IMO, but at the same time nothing about this track was reference quality by any means. This one is on the low end of tier 0 for me. Wish there would have been more to take advantage of the sound design from a material perspective, but that is not a knock against the mix of course.

Tags
Master And Commander The Far Side Of The World Blu Ray , Casino Royale Blu Ray , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , How To Train Your Dragon , Iron Man 2 Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur , Kung Fu Panda Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , A Bugs Life Blu Ray , Monsters Inc Blu Ray , Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu Ray , Toy Story Trilogy Blu Ray 3d , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , The Conjuring Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray Dvd Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray 3d Combo Pack , Oblivion Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Kill Bill Volume 1 Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Rises Limited Edition Bat Cowl Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Last St
Gear in this thread - Last by PriceGrabber.com