Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2009, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pulp Fiction (Denmark release- region-free) (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 1

Dialogue clear throughout. LFE was lacking especially in gunshots and other such effects. Dialogue at times was one-dimensional, lacked that full sound. Surrounds were effectively used for ambience with good separation between fronts and surrounds. A few times I wasn't' sure if the sound was from the movie or in my house, I love when that happens. Overall I am pleased with the results and having this on blu-ray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 11:52 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Terminator Salvation (UK Import - DTS-HD MA) - Reference

Though I vote reference, would appreciate if someone can provide data on the high frequencies as I thought treble was lacking during gunshots and explosions.

Wow, that's interesting. One of my teeny tiny issues about this otherwise incredible track was that I thought those things were just a tad overblown. What I mean is, this track just barely border lined harshness in some spots for me, more so than other movies.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:57 PM

Chris Botti in Boston (DD-THD 7.1 24 Bit 96 Khz) - Reference Quality

It's the end of 2009, don't want this title to be lost in the original Audio Tier Thread.

This second Chris Botti concert BD continues to improve both in the PQ and AQ (now in DD-THD in stead of LPCM) over the first 2005 LA concert (BD released in 07), combined with acoustics of Boston Symphony Hall, in addition to world class performers already quoted by the first nominee mpgxsvcd (referenced below). Despite a relatively subdued dynamics (fitting for a concert hall compared vs rock'n roll stadium) The soundstage is incredibly immersive and the details of a wide range of musical instruments are excellent.

I vote this BD above the John Myers LA concert which was also a Sony BMG label, and probably place it near or above the Legends of Jazz BD based on the technical challenge of mixing this concert in symphony hall versus in a recording studio.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1209364&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

Chris Botti in Boston (DD-THD 7.1 24 Bit 96 Khz) - Top of Reference Quality

Stop the presses! I never thought a disc could surpass Divertimenti for audio quality. Well one finally has! This new Chris Botti disc is just stupid realistic. Yo-Yo Ma, Sting, Katharine Mcphee, and of course Botti have never sounded better....(quote abbreviated)

================

Andrea Bocelli: Vivere, Live in Tuscany (LPCM 5.1 48 kHz) - lower Tier 0

This is a special live concert taken place in Lajatico, Italy. Probably even more challenging than the Botti in Boston concert due to the open environment. The LPCM 5.1 track produces distinct layering of voices and instruments, the dynamics are surprisingly full with aggressive use of LFE, not to mention the incredible trebles of Sarah Brightman, Elisa, and Heather Headley. Unfortunately, the audio resolution appears to restricted to a 4.6Mbps CBR and lacked that extra clarity and refinement of the Botti concert above, which benefited from nearly 3x the bandwidth!.

Hit Man: David Foster & Friends (DTS-MA 5.1 48 Khz) - upper Tier 1

Another star-studded, very robust concert staged at Mandalay Bay featuring many familiar tunes from the recent decades. The soundstage is well-reproduced, voices are crisp and there is good use of LFE. However, the overall mix feels a little flat and less engaging, in PQ terms it lacked that extra "pop" to qualify this concert for Tier 1.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
District 9 (DTS HD-MASTER AUDIO) Tier 1

Personally I thought this soundtrack was light on bass and it lacked some dynamics. Good use of surrounds.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Price (DOLBY TRUE HD) Tier 0

This one sounded wonderful, clarity and detail were excellent. Sounded very smooth on my system, the lack of action scenes keeps this one at Tier 0. Although the few action scenes that we get sound outstanding, Dumbledore's Fire scene comes to mind.

PSN: J_Rodz2588
Old 12-30-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Looking back only one post, I agree with LJ25 on District 9, great use of surrounds, especially the heli's.

I'm no connoisseur of audio, my system is decent but nothing extravagant. I recently rented Vertical Limit. I know, the import version looks lots better, but this one looked "ok" to me. Better than I was expecting. Anyhow, the sound in that movie rivals anything I ever heard on blu-ray. Impressive. While the movie was no 5 stars (imho), it was certainly watchable. I will end up buying a copy now just for the demo ability of the LFE track.

I see it's not listed, someone should really check it out and offer a placement. IMO, this kicks the ---- outa Star Trek, Transformers 1/2, LOTR, at least for LFE. Not only did I find it perfectly balanced with the mains, but it was crushing without going crazy on the volume.

"3 OClock. Time to wake up the Indians!"
Old 12-30-2009, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
"9" (DTS-HD Master 5.1)-Reference

This movie is loaded with very good LFE and the audio is very well done. IMO this one will be the LFE surprise of the year. Many good "demo scenes" and better than Terminator Salvation in the SQ LFE department.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:03 PM

'9'- Reference.
This movie was an audio surprise.Great music score,overall audio and insane LFE.Enjoy!
Old 12-30-2009, 08:12 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Good to see these audio scores for 9. The movie is getting some mixed reviews for content, but the audio scores seem to be holding steady as top notch.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:31 PM

District 9 - DTS HD-MA - Tier 1

I agree with pretty much everything that has been said before me. Sound effects and surround usage were good, but the bass was seriously lacking. There were also a few times when I had to go back and put the sub-titles on to figure out what was said (although that may be due to the strong accents too). It's amazing what they did with such a limited budget, but unfortunately, it seems like the audio may have suffered a little.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Paranormal Activity (DTS-MA) tier 4

Dialog comes through intelligible for the most part......some tension bass. Thats it....lol. Seriously, for purposes of this thread, this is almost bottom of the bunch, but obviously this one is not meant to sound like a normal modern horror film. The way the track was done (pretty much natural like you would hear from a video camera besides the tension bass) was very effective though and supported the film well I thought, but this is a far cry from demo material.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 12-30-2009, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1nels View Post

'9'- Reference.
This movie was an audio surprise.Great music score,overall audio and insane LFE.Enjoy!

Unfortunately it was only I little over and hour long. Very good mix with lfe stronger than star trek and terminator salvation.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Unfortunately it was only I little over and hour long. Very good mix with lfe stronger than star trek and terminator salvation.

"Stronger" LFE than Star Trek does not really surprise me, but stronger than Terminator Salvation does. Very curious to hear this one now!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 12-31-2009, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Changeling (DTS-HD MA) - Tier 1

Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (DTS-HD MA) - Tier 1

Forrest Gump (DTS-HD MA) - Tier 1

UP (DTS-HD MA) - Tier 0

District 9 (DTS-HD MA) - Tier 1

Menu selection - Human or Alien - LPCM 5.1 - Reference
Main Menu - LPCM 5.1 - Reference
First 1 hr 10 minutes - Tier 2
The rest - Tier 1

Disappointed by the lack of dynamic range and LFE. Donno how and where the reviewers picked up earth shaking bass.

FilmMixer,

Did Sony / Fox do major alterations to the home theater mix of District 9 and Ice Age 3?

Btw, Wishing all a very loud, dynamic, lossless and uncompressed New Year.

Blu-ray : 340
Old 12-31-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1nels View Post

'9'- Reference.

Could you clarify what sound codec you listened to? Was it the lossy or lossless one?
Old 01-01-2010, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

District 9(DTS-MA) - Tier 0
If the mixes of Cloverfield and Children of Men were put together, this would be the result. It has the fumblings of Cloverfield(in an appropriate way) without any of the grandeur(which it shouldn't have), and the detail of Children of Men(but without the confident direction that leads to the perfect balance of score and sound).

So it's not as good as either. But its still damn impressive, it loaded with plenty of well layered sound effects - which is really what impresses most. Surround use is spot on, seamless. LFE is light for the most part, which makes sense, since most everything is a biped, it does dip pretty low for a tincy bit at at the end though. The score itself is pretty weak(composition wise), so it is never brought to attention, which I didn't have issue with.

In theaters I do remember the ships "horns" sounding a bit more brassy and forceful, even when I cranked the volume they never sounded quite right.

Overall I would rate this at the bottom of Tier 0, but the fantastic sound effects make we want to give it a solid Tier 0 recommendation.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
Old 01-01-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Way of the Gun (DTS-MA 7.1) - Tier 1

Clear dialogue. LFE could have been better especially with gunfire. Surrounds were used for action with directionality. Some discrete sounds.

District 9 (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 1

My expectations for this were high based on what I'd read on other sites and a few of the early votes in this thread. Sadly it didn't meet those expectations. I didn't' have trouble with any of the dialogue, it was all clear for me. The 1st half of the movie was directed more from the front, there wasn't as much action as in the last 1/2 of the movie. Once the action picked up surrounds were used, with directionality at times. LFE was significantly lacking except the mothership sounds had good LFE (the best in the movie). The movie in general reminded me of Cloverfield but the mix/quality of sound in Cloverfield was much better.

Ice Age: The Meltdown (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 1

If we were placing within Tiers I would rate this above Way of the Gun and District 9.
Clear dialogue, discrete sounds, directionality at times, surround use for action and ambience. LFE was good at times, could have been better.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

District 9(DTS-MA) - Tier 0
If the mixes of Cloverfield and Children of Men were put together, this would be the result. It has the fumblings of Cloverfield(in an appropriate way) without any of the grandeur(which it shouldn't have), and the detail of Children of Men(but without the confident direction that leads to the perfect balance of score and sound).

So it's not as good as either. But its still damn impressive, it loaded with plenty of well layered sound effects - which is really what impresses most. Surround use is spot on, seamless. LFE is light for the most part, which makes sense, since most everything is a biped, it does dip pretty low for a tincy bit at at the end though. The score itself is pretty weak(composition wise), so it is never brought to attention, which I didn't have issue with.

In theaters I do remember the ships "horns" sounding a bit more brassy and forceful, even when I cranked the volume they never sounded quite right.

Overall I would rate this at the bottom of Tier 0, but the fantastic sound effects make we want to give it a solid Tier 0 recommendation.

I agree with Tier 0 as well.

Nice review.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Inglourious Basterds (DTS-MA 5.1) - Reference

Dialogue was clear throughout. A lot of discrete sounds with directionality throughout the movie made it standout for me. Effects were clear and crisp. At one point I was hearing something I couldn't quite makeout, wasn't sure if it was in my house or the movie. Finally figrued out it was the ceiling fan in the movie (this happened on several occations) When there was action, it was significant with good LFE, use of surrounds with directionality again. For me the mix was similar to Star Trek, just not with as much action. But when there was action it sure packed a punch.

Event Horizon (TrueHD) - Tier 1

The sound level of this movie was quite a bit louder than most. I usually listen at -9dB but had to turn the volume down to -13dB. Surrounds were used throughout with directionality at times. The music and effects added to the suspense of the movie which a few times took me by surprise and scared me even though I've seen it before. LFE was present but not at the level I would have liked.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Reservoir Dogs (DTS-HD HR 6.1) - Tier 2

Clear dialogue, sound directed primarily from the front. LFE was lacking making effects less than natural sounding. The music sounded the best. Occasional surround use for action (primarily gunshots) and music.

New Police Story (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 2

There is dubbing in the English track and often the lip movement doesn't match the dialogue which at times I found distracting. Luckily Jackie Chan's dubbing didn't have that much of a problem. Dialogue is otherwise clear. Sound is often harsh with predominance of treble and midrange. Some LFE in action but generally lacking for my taste. Surrounds for action with occasional directionality.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Inglorious Basterds - no specific vote: see below

Ok, I don't have my surrounds up yet so it is not fair to rate this movie besides to say a few things and ask a question:

Ot was "nice", clean and articulate. It apeared to have good surround effects meaning the wide dispersion on my speakers tricked me a few times and ambient noise could clearly be detected as the kind of thing that would have been in the surround field. Overall dynamic were subtle for my insane tastes but everything was as it should be. Not a giant action film but it did what it needed.

I am left with one question about the opening music:

Is it SUPPOSE to crackle and sound very harsh like an old record? It made my expensive new speakers sound like they were blown
Old 01-03-2010, 12:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

Inglorious Basterds - no specific vote: see below

Ok, I don't have my surrounds up yet so it is not fair to rate this movie besides to say a few things and ask a question:

Ot was "nice", clean and articulate. It apeared to have good surround effects meaning the wide dispersion on my speakers tricked me a few times and ambient noise could clearly be detected as the kind of thing that would have been in the surround field. Overall dynamic were subtle for my insane tastes but everything was as it should be. Not a giant action film but it did what it needed.

I am left with one question about the opening music:

Is it SUPPOSE to crackle and sound very harsh like an old record? It made my expensive new speakers sound like they were blown

It is supposed to crackle and sound harsh as in a 1940's record player. Had me going the first time too. Very disconcerting initially!
Old 01-03-2010, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow yeah it sounded like a blown tweeter. So harsh and forward
Old 01-03-2010, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Just a side note... I mentioned a while ago I was working with a company call Iosono that has a new system for reproducing multichannel sound.. there was a little article about it in Ultimate AV Mag...

http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/ultima...h/true_stereo/

The first picture is of the theater they have outfitted at the Mann's Chinese 6.. the rest of the photos are from out companies facility in Burbank, CA...

Enjoy.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:16 AM

Terminator Salvation tier 0

Ok, even hating the movie I had to check where all the fuss was about so I checked a few scenes including the fuel station scene. But I have to dissagree on most opinions here. The DTS-MA track isn't bad at all but the bass was way too overpowering and unbalanced. It just went BOOM BOOM BOOM, not that it sounded boomy though, and after a while I just felt sick. Steering across all channels was wel done though. personally I don't like these type of tracks. Even a movies as action packed as this could have had a more balanced and dynamic track.

Display: Optoma HD70
Player: PS3
Receiver: Pioneer 1015
Fronts / surrounds: SVS SBS-01
Centre: SVS SCS-01
Sub: SVS PC13 Ultra
Old 01-03-2010, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Just a side note... I mentioned a while ago I was working with a company call Iosono that has a new system for reproducing multichannel sound.. there was a little article about it in Ultimate AV Mag...

The first picture is of the theater they have outfitted at the Mann's Chinese 6.. the rest of the photos are from out companies facility in Burbank, CA...

Enjoy.

Checked it out as well as your company website. I know you tend to work on Warner Brothers movies, saw your company collaborates with other studios as well. Noticed one of the re-recording mixers who did Inglourious Basterds has worked with you on many of the same movies. Please pass along cudos for me.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Snatch (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 1

Clear dialogue (except of course what is meant not to be when Brad Pitt's character talks). Surrounds for ambience and action, some directionality. LFE present but once again I would have liked more.

Rounders (Canadian release) (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 3

Clear dialogue, front directed. No appreciable surround use. Nothing memorable.

The Kingdom (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 1

I have this on HD and remember liking the mix a lot. I received this from someone as a present so checked it out. Not as impressive as I recall but it's been a while since I last watched it. I suspect the difference is I've watched so many blu-rays and HDs since then that my taste has "matured."

Dialogue was clear. Surrounds for action and ambience with directionality. LFE was present but definitely not a level I have come to expect from this type of movie. Effects were natural but gunshots/explosions/etc. lacked that punch. Definitely could have been much better with more LFE.

Rogue (Canadian release) (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 0

Dialogue clear. For me this mix was quite impressive. I wasn't expecting it to be anywhere near as good as it isn't a blockbuster. Surrounds were used throughout for action and ambience. Quite a bit of directionality and a lot of discrete sounds (water sounds, insects) throughout. Clear crisp sound. Would have been a reference vote for me if LFE was better. LFE was good but not enough.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

Checked it out as well as your company website. I know you tend to work on Warner Brothers movies, saw your company collaborates with other studios as well. Noticed one of the re-recording mixers who did Inglourious Basterds has worked with you on many of the same movies. Please pass along cudos for me.

Actually, I probably do less films that WB releases than other studios... of the ~120 I've mixed, only 6 (including the one I am currently mixing) have been for WB. They are very, shall we say, aggressive about keeping work on their lot.

Tony was my partner for the last 8 years... IB was the first film he mixed with his new partner... it's a great piece of work, isn't it. I will pass it along, although I know he reads this thread.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Enjoy.

How would you like to do a mix for 376 channels?

This could really turn a home theater into a room that is virtually inundated with speakers.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

How would you like to do a mix for 376 channels?

I'll let you know how it goes in a couple of weeks.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Red Heat (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 4

Clear dialogue. Hollow one-dimensional sound. Treble and midrange, no LFE/bass. Unnatural sounding effects. Dialogue doesn't sound as old as the effects/action. Surround use at times.

Tags
Master And Commander The Far Side Of The World Blu Ray , Casino Royale Blu Ray , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , How To Train Your Dragon , Iron Man 2 Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur , Kung Fu Panda Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , A Bugs Life Blu Ray , Monsters Inc Blu Ray , Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu Ray , Toy Story Trilogy Blu Ray 3d , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , The Conjuring Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray Dvd Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray 3d Combo Pack , Oblivion Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Kill Bill Volume 1 Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Rises Limited Edition Bat Cowl Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Last St