NEW Audio Tier Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 3097 Old 01-23-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kevin12586's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 4,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Public Enemies......Tier 2.......DTS-MA

I was kind of disappointed in the dialogue for this movie. Not only were there many instances where my wife and I couldn't figure out what was being said but the audio in general was off.

There wasn't much LFE to talk about besides gun usage and the surrounds were decent as well. I will commend the sound team though on how the guns sounded. Not only did they sound like guns from the right time period, some of them actually had a nice kick.

As for the movie, it was better than I expected.
Kevin12586 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 3097 Old 01-23-2010, 06:52 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I was actually looking forward to this track as well after seeing the previews, and a friend of mine had good things to say (about the film) after he saw it with his family. It was a letdown for me all around, BUT you may hear/see it differently then I did of course. Even though I did not care for the film either, a lot of people seemed to like it so you might give it a shot Report back if you do.

Oh, I agree with laugsback on his comparison to Night at The Museum. I dont remember that track all that well, but I do remember a very similar disappointment with the audio. I really thought that one would rock, but they obviously toned it down and made it kid friendly and it sounds like the same thing happened with Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs as FM confirmed. Oh well........

Finally watched it. I was unimpressed. It sounded like there was a blanket over my speakers. To be honest, I didn't really find the movie entertaining, either.

EDIT: Oh, sorry.....Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Tier 1 (Tier 2 if needed for a final vote. 1.5 would be my actual vote )

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is offline  
post #723 of 3097 Old 01-23-2010, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lgans316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Barking, Essex, London
Posts: 6,820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Why is Pearl Harbor in Tier-0? Thought it sounded better than few of the titles in Reference tier. I am asking this based on my recent viewing.

Pearl Harbor (LPCM 5.1) - Reference

Blu-ray : 340
lgans316 is offline  
post #724 of 3097 Old 01-23-2010, 08:07 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Why is Pearl Harbor in Tier-0? Thought it sounded better than few of the titles in Reference tier. I am asking this based on my recent viewing.

Pearl Harbor (LPCM) - Reference

I can only assume it's because it didn't meet the criteria.

While we're on the topic, I'll throw a vote in for:

Pearl Harbor (PCM 5.1), Reference. (my first vote on this title)

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is offline  
post #725 of 3097 Old 01-23-2010, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lgans316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Barking, Essex, London
Posts: 6,820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It very well meets the criteria. I thought Pearl Harbor sounded better and balanced than Terminator Salvation which lacked in the upper frequencies.

Blu-ray : 340
lgans316 is offline  
post #726 of 3097 Old 01-23-2010, 08:13 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

It very well meets the criteria. I thought Pearl Harbor sounded better and balanced than Terminator Salvation which lacked in the upper frequencies.

Can't say I agree on it sounding better than Salvation, but I do agree that it's a reference title.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is offline  
post #727 of 3097 Old 01-23-2010, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Bryan Beckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

It very well meets the criteria. I thought Pearl Harbor sounded better and balanced than Terminator Salvation which lacked in the upper frequencies.

What he meant is that it doesn't meet the 75% Reference vote standard required in order to be listed with the other Reference titles.
Bryan Beckman is offline  
post #728 of 3097 Old 01-23-2010, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadowrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Why is Pearl Harbor in Tier-0? Thought it sounded better than few of the titles in Reference tier. I am asking this based on my recent viewing.

Pearl Harbor (LPCM 5.1) - Reference

If you thought Pear Harbor sounded good you should give Letter from Iwo Jima a spin. That thing sounds like gold.

Pearl Harbor(PCM) - Reference
I think I might have voted tier 0, if I voted at all, because 80% of the movie is very very lifeless. But yeah the rest of it meets the criteria for demo material, you just have to wait a while.

Terminator Salvation(DTS-MA) - Reference
Fantastic sound design and mixing. Sonic detail is fantastic, surround usage and LFE are first rate. Only complaint would be the slightly electronic tinge found in some of the dialog recorded(seriously how hard can it be?). The machines make this really loud electronic noise that sounds friggin sweet.
Cool.

Monsters Inc(DTS-MA) - Reference
I thought most of you were blowin smoke when this one was given so many Reference votes, because Bug's Life really aint all that. This one is near perfect. You can feel the city when the power gets overloaded...I thought my sub was about get it too. Dialog is mixed in just right, always clear. Oh and the little tiny textural sounds - fantastic. The score may not be the best( what a difference Giacchino makes) but it sounds great too.

The Police: Certifiable(TrueHD 96khz) - Reference
If this isn't the gold standard for full band concerts on BD, then point me in the right direction. The instruments, crowd, vocals and whatever else are mixed in just right so where it hits that sweet spot between concert and studio sound. Very impressive.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
shadowrage is offline  
post #729 of 3097 Old 01-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Finally watched it. I was unimpressed. It sounded like there was a blanket over my speakers. To be honest, I didn't really find the movie entertaining, either.

EDIT: Oh, sorry.....Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Tier 1 (Tier 2 if needed for a final vote. 1.5 would be my actual vote )


Sounds like we had a very similar experience......oh well Did your niece and nephew like it at least?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #730 of 3097 Old 01-24-2010, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Generation Kill (DTS HD MA) Tier 2

This was mostly a talky, however it has a lot of surround activity with off screen chopper and gun fire sounds even when it is a dialog driven scene. You won't forget where the scene takes place. Where it really fails is however is the few action scenes it has. Dynamics are not much better then the typical network series has, and bass won't push your sub into any dangerous territory either. Gun shuts lacked that "violent impact" that one would expect, like in BHD. All in all I found this to be an average mix.


The Unborn (DTS HD MA) Tier 2

Not much excitement here well sonically speaking. I guess the genre makes it difficult of what can be done? Dunno............ while all the technical goods are there, there is isn't anything to the mix that stands out. While dynamics appears to be wide due to the fact there are many near silent scene in the film, it still lacks that jump from your seat moments.

Lakeview Terrace {Dolby THD} Tier 2

Another just average mix here. Nothing stands out positively speaking , and nothing to complain as far as technical issues. It's just bland.


Die Hard 4 [DTS HD MA] Reference
In case I didn't have this done or had it as Tier 0 from me, and yes I did re-watched it recently, and it is easily holds up well with Terminator Salvation or the Incredible Hulk.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #731 of 3097 Old 01-24-2010, 07:04 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Sounds like we had a very similar experience......oh well Did your niece and nephew like it at least?

Yeah, they liked it. I just couldn't get in to it. I eventually just grabbed the laptop and started surfing AVS while it was on.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is offline  
post #732 of 3097 Old 01-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Yeah, they liked it. I just couldn't get in to it. I eventually just grabbed the laptop and started surfing AVS while it was on.

I hear you. Me and my GF both barely made it through this one.

Monsters Inc (DTS-MA) Reference

Finally got around to watching this and this track is even better then I remember. It is another one of those near perfect tracks similar to Kung Fu Panda and Monsters Vs Aliens. No complaints and shadows post above mine echoes my thoughts very well. One of those tracks that just sucks you in and the hour and a half just FLY by.

On a side note, this is without question (even in light of the aliasing) one of the absolute best looking BRs I have ever seen. What a great disc all around! It just seems like you could reach out and touch Sully he looks so real.

Now, can we please get The Incredibles!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #733 of 3097 Old 01-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
vantagesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv View Post

I also conisder Ratatouille (PCM 5.1) to be reference quality.

Ditto. Another vote for Ratatouille as reference. I wonder if it got bumped down to Tier 0 by folks wanting more explosions and LFE.

Bryan, thanks for all the work on this.
vantagesc is offline  
post #734 of 3097 Old 01-25-2010, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rob Tomlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post

Ditto. Another vote for Ratatouille as reference. I wonder if it got bumped down to Tier 0 by folks wanting more explosions and LFE.

Bryan, thanks for all the work on this.

I didn't realize that Ratatouille had been moved down. I also strongly recommend it for Reference!
Rob Tomlin is offline  
post #735 of 3097 Old 01-25-2010, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rob Tomlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I hear you. Me and my GF both barely made it through this one.

Monsters Inc (DTS-MA) Reference

Finally got around to watching this and this track is even better then I remember. It is another one of those near perfect tracks similar to Kung Fu Panda and Monsters Vs Aliens. No complaints and shadows post above mine echoes my thoughts very well. One of those tracks that just sucks you in and the hour and a half just FLY by.

On a side note, this is without question (even in light of the aliasing) one of the absolute best looking BRs I have ever seen. What a great disc all around! It just seems like you could reach out and touch Sully he looks so real.

Now, can we please get The Incredibles!

Agreed!!
Rob Tomlin is offline  
post #736 of 3097 Old 01-25-2010, 05:02 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post


Now, can we please get The Incredibles!

Oh, man. That would be.....incredible.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is offline  
post #737 of 3097 Old 01-25-2010, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Favelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 3,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
District 9. (DTS-MA). Tier 1

Wasn't impressed with this at all. Surround were about a 3.5/5 and LFE was a dismal 2.5/5. Dialog was clear and strong. About the only good thing about it. I watched an ancient BD, Tears of the Sun that had a PCM track that literally blew this one away. Major disappointment. Was hoping for Cloverfield-type quality.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
Favelle is offline  
post #738 of 3097 Old 01-25-2010, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Scubawoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Hurt Locker (DTS-MA 5.1) - Reference

Dialogue was clear. Crisp/clean sound. Surrounds used throughout. Directionality with fronts and surrounds. Discrete sounds with and without action (footsteps, sounds of landing debri/dirt, stepping on glass, and breathing in a helmet to name a few). LFE was excellent especially with explosions that were couch shaking. I agree the action was great and I also would have liked more of the same. For me wanting more action doesn't negate it being reference, it just showed how good those sequences were.
Scubawoman is offline  
post #739 of 3097 Old 01-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
JetJockey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

While I personally agree with you (the regulars here know how hard I defended this one), there are quite a few who dont agree with us and the title should be in tier 0 because of this. A few posters have reported compression issues as well which I still need to check out, but I respect what they are saying since compression is not something I am sensitive to usually for whatever reason.

Having said that, if Stop Making Sense gets knocked out of reference, you guys are going to have a fight on your hands! j/k of course.

IMHO, The Police and "Stop making sense" are with out a doubt both reference discs audio wise, how either of these could be "kicked out" of Reference is beyond belief. Maybe some folks need to have their systems and or rooms checked...good grief.
JetJockey1 is offline  
post #740 of 3097 Old 01-26-2010, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
goonstopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ near NYC
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey1 View Post

IMHO, The Police and "Stop making sense" are with out a doubt both reference discs audio wise, how either of these could be "kicked out" of Reference is beyond belief. Maybe some folks need to have their systems and or rooms checked...good grief.

I hear that the Killers blu ray is pretty amazing audio. I am not a fan but I may give it a shot
goonstopher is offline  
post #741 of 3097 Old 01-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
union1411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Michael Jackson: This is It (DTS-MA) - Reference

just watched it. you guys are in for a real treat with this one. the music sounds awesome. the bass hits hard. this one is a real gem. all the songs sound great.
union1411 is offline  
post #742 of 3097 Old 01-26-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WhatHappend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern MN
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Inglorious Basterds (DTS-HD MA) Tier 2
I didn't find anything special about this audio track.

The opening of the movie is mixed intentionally with what appears to be distortion that at my normal reference volume will leave you with a head-ache. The director's intent appears to make it sound like you have a 1920's horn speaker blasting until it distorts or a phonograph with a dirty pickup needle. Having such a bad opening audio presentation sets a bad tone for the entire movie. ((I am surprised this was not brought up before in this thread.))

I don't speak German or French, but the foreign dialog seemed muddy at times (for example in the beginning as the family is talking as the Germans approach his farmstead) and would be hard to understand (they're depending on the English subtitles). About 1/3 or more of the movie is subtitled English.

There is not much surround activity in this movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Inglorious Basterds (DTS-HD MA) Tier 0

Subtle when it needed to be, bombastic when required, this track has about everything and then some. Dialogue never an issue. Tremendous work done here folks.

WhatHappend is offline  
post #743 of 3097 Old 01-26-2010, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Maestro J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

Inglorious Basterds (DTS-HD MA) Tier 2
I didn't find anything special about this audio track.

The opening of the movie is mixed intentionally with what appears to be distortion that at my normal reference volume will leave you with a head-ache. The director's intent appears to make it sound like you have a 1920's horn speaker blasting until it distorts or a phonograph with a dirty pickup needle. Having such a bad opening audio presentation sets a bad tone for the entire movie. ((I am surprised this was not brought up before in this thread.))

I don't speak German or French, but the foreign dialog seemed muddy at times (for example in the beginning as the family is talking as the Germans approach his farmstead) and would be hard to understand (they're depending on the English subtitles). About 1/3 or more of the movie is subtitled English.

There is not much surround activity in this movie.

Is there a reason you quoted my ranking when you made yours?
In any case, I disagree with you obviously.
And the opening is that way on purpose.
Maestro J is offline  
post #744 of 3097 Old 01-26-2010, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WhatHappend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern MN
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Is there a reason you quoted my ranking when you made yours?

No reason. Just wanted to use the exact same movie name to aid OP in tabulating results.
WhatHappend is offline  
post #745 of 3097 Old 01-26-2010, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
laugsbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Stop Making Sense (DTS-HD MA 5.1 Studio Mix) - Reference

I listened to this again last night and wanted to log my vote...

Public Enemies (DTS-HD MA 5.1) - Tier: 1

There is certainly an issue with the dialogue and I had to turn up the MV from my reference level of -10dB to -7.5dB to compensate.

OTOH, the gun fights were stunning...
laugsbach is offline  
post #746 of 3097 Old 01-26-2010, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
laugsbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 127
k.d. lang with the BBC concert orchestra: Live In London (DTS-HD MA 5.1) - Reference

Ok, I know my "Man Card" is in jeopardy here but this was for the wife and I am happy I finally "let her" watch it...

I had never heard k.d. lang sing before and went in with an open mind and frankly, was blown away with this performance. The concert setting, the BBC orchestra, the collection of fine musicians and of course, the audio was stunning.

Listen to "The Valley" and my personal favorite "Hallelujah" and if that doesn't move you, well.....
laugsbach is offline  
post #747 of 3097 Old 01-27-2010, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
HeffeMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by union1411 View Post

Michael Jackson: This is It (DTS-MA) - Reference

just watched it. you guys are in for a real treat with this one. the music sounds awesome. the bass hits hard. this one is a real gem. all the songs sound great.

I totally disagree with this assessment. From the reviews I read this was supposed to be top tier SQ. I thought the audio on this Bluer-was just ok. I had to crank up the volume to hear this mix.
HeffeMusic is offline  
post #748 of 3097 Old 01-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

I totally disagree with this assessment. From the reviews I read this was supposed to be top tier SQ. I thought the audio on this Bluer-was just ok. I had to crank up the volume to hear this mix.

And why is that bad? If anything, that is a good sign of no compression. Was there other things you did not like about this one or was it just the lower volume? If there were other things about the recording/mix you did not like obviously that is fine, but if it is just a volume issue causing your dislike, that should not have any impact on your vote.

I also watched this last night and thought it sounded incredible! I also had to turn my volume up more than normal, but so what? I usually watch DTS-MA titles at around -1 from ref, but I was at +4.5 on this one. This was one of the most dynamic, clear and open sounding recordings I have listened to yet overall as far as blu ray concerts go (some of this music I suspect was pre-recorded, but hey it still sounds great). The soundstage is incredible as I had sounds coming from my walls where there are no speakers. The low end is absolutely stunning (for a concert), incredibly detailed and hits hard when needed. Many great moments, but the whole "Thriller" part was just stunning from a audio perspective. Wished he would have been singing at full bore, but its understandable why he wasnt so he could save his voice for the real deal (obviously this has nothing to do with the recording/mix).

Oh, on a side note, I am in love with the girl who plays guitar in his band..........hot and she can shred!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #749 of 3097 Old 01-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
HeffeMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

And why is that bad? If anything, that is a good sign of no compression. Was there other things you did not like about this one or was it just the lower volume? If there were other things about the recording/mix you did not like obviously that is fine, but if it is just a volume issue causing your dislike, that should not have any impact on your vote.

I also watched this last night and thought it sounded incredible! I also had to turn my volume up more than normal, but so what? I usually watch DTS-MA titles at around -1 from ref, but I was at +4.5 on this one. This was one of the most dynamic, clear and open sounding recordings I have listened to yet overall as far as blu ray concerts go (some of this music I suspect was pre-recorded, but hey it still sounds great). The soundstage is incredible as I had sounds coming from my walls where there are no speakers. The low end is absolutely stunning (for a concert), incredibly detailed and hits hard when needed. Many great moments, but the whole "Thriller" part was just stunning from a audio perspective. Wished he would have been singing at full bore, but its understandable why he wasnt so he could save his voice for the real deal (obviously this has nothing to do with the recording/mix).

Oh, on a side note, I am in love with the girl who plays guitar in his band..........hot and she can shred!

Ok,
I dont want to get into a pi--ing match with you. I live in an apt and the loudest I listen to movies is -20 So I guess the more volume adds to the detail in the sound. I will have to ck it out again when I have a chance to give it a little more juice. Wow if I listened to music @ -1 I would loose my hearing, and I am a musician that has been playing guitar for over 30 years!
HeffeMusic is offline  
post #750 of 3097 Old 01-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Ok,
I dont want to get into a pi--ing match with you. I live in an apt and the loudest I listen to movies is -20 So I guess the more volume adds to the detail in the sound. I will have to ck it out again when I have a chance to give it a little more juice. Wow if I listened to music @ -1 I would loose my hearing, and I am a musician that has been playing guitar for over 30 years!

Gotcha


Could be. I did not really listen at a lower volume so I dont know if that somehow would have diminished the detail for me as well or not. Even when you do turn it up a bit more you could obviously still hear it the same way which of course is fine (its very subjective and lots of dif factors as far as why we are hearing it dif). My only point was that the lower overall volume should not be considered a negative in any way as far as the recording/mix and if anything is a good sign. Stop Making Sense for example I play even a bit louder than this one to get it to my comfortable level, and of course there are others like NIN and Certifiable that are at an overall louder level and I listen more in the -6 to -9 range on my Onkyo. There is a wide range of overall volume dif between these concerts it seems.

I am curious to read some more opinions on this one though in this thread. These music BRs seem more subjective than anything and I am sure this one will be no different.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Master And Commander The Far Side Of The World Blu Ray , Casino Royale Blu Ray , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , How To Train Your Dragon , Iron Man 2 Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur , Kung Fu Panda Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , A Bugs Life Blu Ray , Monsters Inc Blu Ray , Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu Ray , Toy Story Trilogy Blu Ray 3d , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , The Conjuring Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray Dvd Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray 3d Combo Pack , Oblivion Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Kill Bill Volume 1 Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Rises Limited Edition Bat Cowl Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Last St
Gear in this thread - Last by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off