Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 3145 Old 02-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 686
It Might Get Loud is a documentary and should be under movies IMO.

This Is It should be under concerts since there is enough music footage to warrant a placement there IMO.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3145 Old 02-06-2010, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What if it has both, like the John Mayer disc? The vast majority of the chapter titles are songs, as I'm sure is true with "This is It," but it's not simply a matter of songs versus scenes.

Also, is there a way to see a list of chapter titles online? Short of buying the disc and hoping there are liner notes inside to verify, I don't know of any other way to do it.

Ah, what trivia to occupy my time on a Saturday morning! Guess that means I'd better go find something productive to do.
post #813 of 3145 Old 02-06-2010, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

It Might Get Loud is a documentary and should be under movies IMO.

This Is It should be under concerts since there is enough music footage to warrant a placement there IMO.

Got it. Guess I placed it correctly then. Thanks for everyone's input on this highly urgent matter.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...
post #814 of 3145 Old 02-06-2010, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 135
The Lost Boys (1987) - Dolby TrueHD 5.1 (48kHz/16-bit)

Time to add to unfinished business.

Since the price of this Blu-ray dropped into my "buy" range for older catalog titles I picked up a copy on Amazon and watched this last night. Surprised there is no rating on this well known title since it came out on BD on July 29, 2008. The music score was the highlight of the movie, the surrounds were used sparingly with most of the sound coming from the front channels, but dialogue was easy to make out. A few scenes/effects seemed to push the sound too hard and sounded a little harsh which I guess is a problem with the source. The low bass supported the movie fine but didn't really stand out.

Recommendation - Tier 2

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #815 of 3145 Old 02-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Hey Bryan, mind if I change another vote I made previously (about a year ago)?

I watched Domino again last night and this one is just too good for tier 0 in my book. The only thing holding this one back for me before was the dialog which tended to get lost in the mayhem, but I did not have this problem to the same extent last night and there were only a few instances where this happened and none of these enough to keep out of reference for me considering how amazing the rest of the track is IMO. Dynamics, detail, surrounds, LFE are all top notch IMO. So with that......

Domino (TrueHD) Reference

2 Fast 2 Furious (DTS-MA) tier 0

I know I should not go off memory, BUT this one to my ears had a very similar sound design to the first from what I remember. Nice and aggressive the way this type of film should be. Good tier 0 track. Strictly from a sound perspective, 3 is still the best in the series easily IMO, but this one hangs with 1 going off memory. 4 is the weakest of the bunch.

post #816 of 3145 Old 02-07-2010, 03:08 PM

Liked: 10
I wish this list went past Tier 3. I have about 15 movies that aren't in any category. What about Blade Runner?
post #817 of 3145 Old 02-07-2010, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I would like to vote more in the future but would like a re-definition of what each tier means.

i know the thread is not that formal but it would still be nice to standardize what we each means when saying something i.e. Tier 0, one minor or undefined level below reference WOW factor. Tier 1 - One error, noticeable but not distracting OR clean but less impressive and dynamic ect
post #818 of 3145 Old 02-07-2010, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Toe,

If Tony Scott's Domino is in Tier Reference then so should his Man on Fire which I thought sounded splendid.

Blu-ray : 340
post #819 of 3145 Old 02-08-2010, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbjectEvolution View Post

I wish this list went past Tier 3. I have about 15 movies that aren't in any category. What about Blade Runner?

Several titles were rated Tier 4 or below, but they're listed in "Unfinished Business" because it takes two votes to "rank" a title, and there's currently only one on record for them.

While I recall there being some general chatter about Blade Runner, I don't have record of any tier recommendations for it.
post #820 of 3145 Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Toe,

If Tony Scott's Domino is in Tier Reference then so should his Man on Fire which I thought sounded splendid.

I would not disagree with that if it happened I dont think either will get enough votes for a reference placement, but they both deserve it (I think I voted tier 0 for Man On Fire, but I would not object to reference) IMO. Man on Fire sounds incredible as well and I did not realize this was Tony Scott also. Did he have the same sound team for both films?

post #821 of 3145 Old 02-08-2010, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Red Cliff [Special Edition] (2008) (UK Import) DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (Chinese)

I finished watching this (286 minute) two-part epic last night. Produced and directed by John Woo this movie clearly shows his love of country and history. An aggressive soundtrack with a very active surround sound mix and deep bass. The battle scenes are amazing, definitely demo material in my opinion. I purchased my copy from Amazon UK ($18.10 including shipping) since this Blu-ray will not available in the USA until March 23. It is region-free. The movie and extras played fine on my Sony S350 player. The English subtitles are burnt into the picture portion.

There is currently a listing for this film in the unfinished business section but that is a different version using PCM sound.

Recommendation - Tier Reference

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #822 of 3145 Old 02-08-2010, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

I would like to vote more in the future but would like a re-definition of what each tier means.

i know the thread is not that formal but it would still be nice to standardize what we each means when saying something i.e. Tier 0, one minor or undefined level below reference WOW factor. Tier 1 - One error, noticeable but not distracting OR clean but less impressive and dynamic ect

There is no general definition of what refers to each tier as you make your own here. This is not a "heard" and there are no right or wrong recommendations. Also, unlike the picture the sound is uncompressed for almost all theatrical titles which means we don't have to worry about "errors" , EE, DNR, or compression artifacts. It doesn't mean that some errors are not happening, but they are so few that it would be hard to quantify them with tier rankings in general. So if you find something it is up to you how much that bothers you and "punish" it accordingly with a lower rating. Makes sense?

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #823 of 3145 Old 02-08-2010, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

There is no general definition of what refers to each tier as you make your own here. This is not a "heard" and there are no right or wrong recommendations. Also, unlike the picture the sound is uncompressed for almost all theatrical titles which means we don't have to worry about "errors" , EE, DNR, or compression artifacts. It doesn't mean that some errors are not happening, but they are so few that it would be hard to quantify them with tier rankings in general. So if you find something it is up to you how much that bothers you and "punish" it accordingly with a lower rating. Makes sense?

I guess but I hate voting if I can't quantify what the vote means and what makes each category unique or different from the one above and below it.
post #824 of 3145 Old 02-08-2010, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Duplicity (DTS HD MA) Tier 3

There isn't much here to recommend, other then some scenes with a nice atmospheric [outdoor] sound that plenty of others have as well. Generally well recorded, but this is mostly dialog driven.

Flawless (DTS HD MA) Tier 4

Same as above but with even less surround activity. Other then the some of the jazz music cuts, this film sound flat as if it was in mono.

The Hun
post #825 of 3145 Old 02-08-2010, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

I guess but I hate voting if I can't quantify what the vote means and what makes each category unique or different from the one above and below it.

You can't define each tier for yourself of what it means to you? Your vote is the reflection of your own preference.

Here is how I do it, and guess many of us have something similar in our heads.
Tier Reference= Reference
Tier 0= Well above average
Tier 1=Above average
Tier 2= Average
Tier 3= Below average
Tier 4= Terrible
Tier 5= Fughetabboutit!

However you have to fine tune each tier to your own taste and preferences of what they mean to you[not for others] in order to rate each title. There are people who sort of wait for others to rate certain titles before they do their own, but I encourage you to trust your own senses and express it with your own vote.

The Hun
post #826 of 3145 Old 02-08-2010, 11:06 PM

The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift (DTS HD MA) Reference

Surround channel use in this title is aggressive but not over the top, with pans and other discrete channel effects for many of the car sequences, and some naturalistic reverb and ambience in other scenes. Dialog intelligibility is very good, which is a must in a film like this one where many of the actors speak English with a fairly strong accent. The overall soundfield is very solid and well-integrated, without a lot of show-off sequences in the surrounds.

Music is one of the big strengths of the mix, with solid low frequency content and very good dynamics. The songs play a feature role in the film in many ways, and will put even very capable subwoofer setups to the test. LFE content overall is solid and authoritative: the chest-vibrating rumble of an American muscle car at the end of the film, for instance, is very naturalistically and authoritatively rendered.

I was turned onto this title by reading about Art Sonneborn's home theater here on the forums. It's an average story with some fairly uneven acting in places, but is a terrific demonstration title in many ways, not the least of which is the sound.
post #827 of 3145 Old 02-09-2010, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Zombieland (DTS-HD MA 5.1) Tier 1

Very impressed with the front soundstage. Aggressive and intelligible. I was disappointed with LFE support and surround usage. Many opportunities to blow me away but for me, it came up short a few too many times to rank up there with some of the best.
post #828 of 3145 Old 02-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Legends of Jazz, sounds 100X better than the Talking Heads BR! I listened to Return to forever again last night and I cannot believe that you didn't give this concert a reference rating?
post #829 of 3145 Old 02-09-2010, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I am logging my vote for the following titles...all are in my collection and are used frequently for demos and I have watched all of them again in the last 30 days:

CLOVERFIELD (Dolby TrueHD) - Reference
FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX (DTS-HD MA) - Reference
HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY (DTS-HD MA) - Reference
INCREDIBLE HULK, THE (DTS-HD MA) - Reference
KUNG FU PANDA (Dolby TrueHD) - Reference
MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD (DTS-HD MA) - Reference
MONSTERS, INC. (DTS-HD MA) - Reference
STAR TREK (Dolby TrueHD) - Reference
TERMINATOR SALVATION (DTS-HD MA) - Reference
post #830 of 3145 Old 02-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Legends of Jazz, sounds 100X better than the Talking Heads BR! I listened to Return to forever again last night and I cannot believe that you didn't give this concert a reference rating?

You cant believe that WHO did not give this concert a reference rating? I dont agree with you on Legends of Jazz (a 100x, really???), well atleast sounding better than Stop Making Sense (studio mix). Sounds fantastic no doubt but better than SMS? Not in my opinion, but yours counts just as much as mine or anyones so place some votes We are not all going to agree, especially on these concerts which seem to be more subjective than anything, so start believing votes that dont match yours and get used to it

Most important thing though is to start voting

post #831 of 3145 Old 02-09-2010, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

This seems to be the best time of the year to watch these titles:

ICE AGE: THE MELTDOWN (DTS-HD 5.1 MA) - TIER 1

ICE AGE: DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS (7.1 DTS-HD MA) - TIER 0

I really enjoy this series and after looking at all the movies ranked in Tier 0 & Tier 1, above is my vote.

The first installment of this series is my favorite and I will have to revisit it before voting...
post #832 of 3145 Old 02-09-2010, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry HeffeMusic, my mistake. There are enough Reference votes for the DTS-HD MA mix on Return to Forever Returns that it should be listed with the other Reference titles. thehun gave the PCM mix a Tier 0 rating because he didn't like what he heard with the DTS-HD MA mix, but he refrained from giving a rating on that one. I'll fix the list.
post #833 of 3145 Old 02-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Beckman View Post

Sorry HeffeMusic, my mistake. There are enough Reference votes for the DTS-HD MA mix on Return to Forever Returns that it should be listed with the other Reference titles. thehun gave the PCM mix a Tier 0 rating because he didn't like what he heard with the DTS-HD MA mix, but he refrained from giving a rating on that one. I'll fix the list.

Thanks Bryan,
Have you heard the RTR blueray, it sounds like they are in the room with you Each time I listen to it I cant beleive how good it sounds. Anyway I will start to give you my opinons on Concerts and movies. Has anybody reviewed the Roy Orbison BR, another one that should be considred for a Reference title. I am not the biggest fan in the world, but man does this disc sound good
post #834 of 3145 Old 02-09-2010, 10:00 PM

To Live and Die in L.A. (Dolby TrueHD) Tier 3

This restoration of Friedkin's gritty, industrial Los Angeles take on the cops and robbers genre is a mixed bag. The Dolby TrueHD sountrack is almost entirely limited to the front three speakers and amply reveals the limited fidelity of the original stem elements. There is almost no bass content at all in this mix, which gives all of the audio elements that thin, canned quality that is unfortunately emblematic of so many classic films.

Gattaca (Dolby TrueHD) Tier 1

This title has a quiet, unobtrusive mix that befits it's dialogue-driven story line. Dialog intelligibility is exemplary throughout and ADR is either highly limited or extremely well done. There are a number of interior scenes with very naturalistic reverb and echo of character dialogue off the hard interior surfaces. LFE content and discrete surround usage are both fairly limited, which befits the subject matter. It is a capable, modern film mix with no glaring flaws.
post #835 of 3145 Old 02-10-2010, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
9......DTS-MA....Reference

Beautiful sounding BD with excellent LFE, good surrounds and clear dialogue.

Unfortunately, I found the movie to be just 'OK'
post #836 of 3145 Old 02-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Pandorum (TrueHD) tier 0

The best way I know to describe this track is wicked! Awesome audio on this one and had me jumping in my seat a few times as sound would explode from near silence and truly startle you. Fantastic dynamics from the punishing at times LFE to the brutal high end. Surrounds used very well.

Dialog was flat out annoying at times though and they went overboard with trying to create a convincing echo/lispness/ambient type thing. This made things hard to hear on more than one occasion and I found it distracting at times. I almost dropped this to tier 1 because of this, but the rest of the track is strong enough to keep it in tier 0.

The other thing is for me, this track lacks a certain sense of refinement that only a reference track gives you which was noticable the first time I watched it (last night was my 2nd viewing of Pandorum) since I watched Gamer right after it. Gamer has this "X-factor" so to speak and to my ears Pandorum did not (even though I loved the audio besides the dialog issue).

I still loved the track overall though and it is wicked fun as far as HT audio goes

post #837 of 3145 Old 02-11-2010, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Just catching up on some reviews. First, it's time to surrender my man card...

Tinker Bell (PCM 5.1) - Tier 1

Not much low end activity happening in this one, though the surrounds are consistently engaged and the whole mix is full of top end detail (fairy sound effects, you know). Voices are crystal clear and the musical score is presented very well. On the whole, it reminded me a lot of the mix for "Up" (which I also gave a Tier 1 score to).

Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure (DTS-HD MA 5.1) - Tier 0

Things get much more interesting here. Take all the strengths of the "Tinker Bell" track and add a more rousing musical score (with drums this time!) and more frequent LFE, and the result is a surprisingly robust and engaging audio mix.

(As an aside, I thought the movie was quite a bit better than "Tinker Bell," and I really liked the platonic relationship between Tink and Terrance, who have more real chemistry than most couples in rom-coms who have "chemistry" solely because of the machinations of the plot. It sets a great example for young girls.)

O.K., time to take the man card back...

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (DTS-HD MA 5.1) - Reference

One of my all-time favorite tracks, which I've never rated for the purposes of this thread. I sat down to watch it again last week, and was consistently floored by it. Clear dialogue, impeccable imaging, beautiful score, and (of course) LFE that simulates the thrill and horror of cannon warfare and nasty weather better than any other movie I've seen. This is one of my all-time favorite movies as well, so it's a win-win no matter how you look at it.

Live Free or Die Hard (DTS-HD MA 5.1) - Reference

Another favorite track, and a true guilty pleasure. The sound mix here is just as crazy and over-the-top as the action in the film. Y'know, if I were driving a semi truck with a Harrier jet blowing up a freeway overpass behind me, I'd expect it to sound just like that. Or launching a police car into a helicopter. Or something more benign like an automatic weapons shootout in a dank apartment building. This track has it all.

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (DTS-HD MA 5.1) - Tier 0

After reading some of the reviews on this thread, I was gearing up for a less-than-impressive listening experience. But I was often impressed! No, the mix isn't in the same league as "Kung Fu Panda," "Monsters, Inc.," or "A Bug's Life," but I found it consistently involving from start to finish. LFE activity in the last 30 minutes was excellent, about on par IMO with "Monsters Vs. Aliens." Things got so intense sound-wise that my preschool-age daughter has cowered in fear both times we watched it.

(As a side note, I really enjoyed the movie. Between this, "Coraline," "Fantastic Mr. Fox," and "Up," 2009 was a great year for animation. Should I throw "Avatar" into the mix too? )

Forrest Gump (DTS-HD MA 5.1 3.1?) - Tier 1

I haven't revisited this movie in several years, having watched it countless times on widescreen VHS and later DVD up until a few years ago. For the most part it sounded much the same as it always has: kinda flat, not much happening in most places. Knowing that the re-recording artists deliberately avoided mixing any sounds into the rear channels helped me experience the movie from a new perspective this time. I respect the artistic decision by Zemeckis, but it really felt like a gimmick to me. For a largely stereo recording, imaging was done pretty well - the sounds of cicadas in Alabama, for instance, really seemed to emanate beyond the speakers. Rainstorms were consistently disappointing, though.

It really felt like a Tier 2/Tier 3 mix most of the way through - EXCEPT for the Vietnam and hurricane sequences, which brought my sub roaring to life in a way I've rarely experienced. Holy cow! Based on the Reference-level strength of those scenes (which were all too brief), I think the mix as a whole merits a Tier 1.

Also, no matter how many times I watch that movie, the ending gets me. Every. Single. Time. Dang it.
post #838 of 3145 Old 02-11-2010, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Thanks Bryan,
Have you heard the RTR blueray, it sounds like they are in the room with you Each time I listen to it I cant beleive how good it sounds. Anyway I will start to give you my opinons on Concerts and movies. Has anybody reviewed the Roy Orbison BR, another one that should be considred for a Reference title. I am not the biggest fan in the world, but man does this disc sound good

I never heard of Return to Forever OR Roy Orbison before this thread. I'll add them to my Netflix queue.
post #839 of 3145 Old 02-11-2010, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Beckman View Post

Things get much more interesting here. Take all the strengths of the "Tinker Bell" track and add a more rousing musical score (with drums this time!) and more frequent LFE, and the result is a surprisingly robust and engaging audio mix.

(As an aside, I thought the movie was quite a bit better than "Tinker Bell," and I really liked the platonic relationship between Tink and Terrance, who have more real chemistry than most couples in rom-coms who have "chemistry" solely because of the machinations of the plot. It sets a great example for young girls.)

Go figure...my wife had her turn last night and this was her pick. I initially said na baby na after the first Tinker Bell movie laid a serious egg - IMHO.

Bryan, I couldn't have said it better, this was a very, very good audio mix and a much, much better story than the first movie. Pixar had to have a hand in this picture/story...well done :

post #840 of 3145 Old 02-11-2010, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 52
WWII in HD (DTS-HD MA) Reference

Seven plus hours of a real sonic treat. This one just blew me away. I had read beforehand that most of the sound effects were reproduced to coincide with the raw color footage of WWII. Before I sat down to watch it, I thought that might take me out of the experience; that it would be distracting in a way knowing any real audio that was captured was in mono and likely distorted and compressed. Any such fears quickly vanished as I was enthralled with what I was hearing and seeing. Very dynamic and a rousing accompanying score with incredible and intense bass. You don't have to pick out a scene or two to demo to your friends. The entire thing is demo. Highly recommended.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Master And Commander The Far Side Of The World Blu Ray , Casino Royale Blu Ray , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , How To Train Your Dragon , Iron Man 2 Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur , Kung Fu Panda Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , A Bugs Life Blu Ray , Monsters Inc Blu Ray , Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu Ray , Toy Story Trilogy Blu Ray 3d , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , The Conjuring Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray Dvd Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray 3d Combo Pack , Oblivion Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Kill Bill Volume 1 Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Rises Limited Edition Bat Cowl Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Last St
Gear in this thread - Last by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page