NEW Audio Tier Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 3099 Old 10-27-2009, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the thread. I am using full band phase control all channel adjusted with MCACC and THX processing. I wouldn't think Dolby Pro Logic 2 would apply unless it was a 2 channel source. I am biamping my fronts so I am using 5.1 not 7.1 surround sound. Still all things being equal as the settings in my receiver never changed b/t testing the 2 discs, I should have got identical results for LFE which I did not having the DN = b/t the 2 discs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3099 Old 10-27-2009, 06:21 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

I don't think it was supposed to be, Warner messed up the theatrical release somehow.

That would make sense. This movie had a far better production value than any other DTV movie I've ever seen.
post #63 of 3099 Old 10-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
STARGATE: TIER 0

I was so impressed by this track I really wanted to give the film a reference but the post Stargate travel scenes weren't as sonically impressive as what I heard before.

First of all David Arnold's score is beautifully presented here. Everything from the orchestration to the chorale is near perfect. As well as i've heard a music score integrated into the film. Dialogue is a bit of a shortcoming, during the action scenes there are moments that the action drowned out the sounds or the vocal effects of the characters were a bit muffled.

Secondly as far as sound effects this is very impressive. I'd say if you were impressed with AIR FORCE ONE as a catalog title, you'll feel similar to STARGATE. The Stargate sequence was awesome: impressive just as you would expect it to be. There are some moments of really good bass extension (though not as low as a modern film or even AFO, but very good) and there is some intense surround presence during the action scenes and some of the non-action scenes that gave ambience. All in all a very impressive catalog title and a clear improvement over the previous BD's DTSHR 6.1 track.
post #64 of 3099 Old 10-27-2009, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

Thanks, I just looked at that. Not a big difference, but I am getting a +1db boost on any explosion, rumble, gunshot or LFE related issue with the standard edition consistently, I have tested these scenes numerous times on different days, same results. Sound level meter mounted on a tripod..

How you accurately tell you have a 1db "boost?"

An SPL meter reading is highly subjective with real, "moving" audio.. just curious.
post #65 of 3099 Old 10-27-2009, 08:15 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (DTS-MA 5.1) - Reference

Just finished it, and found it to be superb (The disc is actually a 7.1 track). I thought it had all the qualities one looks for in a reference track - balance, dynamics, and proper use of LFE and surrounds. I was expecting it to sound good, but as with any movie I plan to post about in this thread, I viewed (listened to) it with an open mind. I just couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Dialogue - Crystal clear. Never had a problem understanding a single syllable.

Surrounds - Engaged when called upon by on (and off) screen action, used very nicely to compliment the movie's musical score.

LFE - Wonderful. It hit hard when it needed to, and rumbled low when appropriate. No "one note" bass lines here. I thought it was used extremely well to coincide with what was happening on screen. Should satisfy the bass-heads as well as those looking for balanced LFE in a track. Crank the sub trim a little hot, and you've got a monster on your hands (or rather, a dinosaur).

Overall dynamics and balance - Again, wonderful. Nothing seemed to be recorded too hot, and nothing seemed to call attention to itself, unless I was admiring how well each part of the track was with a critical ear. The best compliment I can give a movie for its sound is when I forget to "listen" to it and just enjoy the track, which I caught myself doing here.

As always, since I'm not a professional reviewer, anyone who sees this movie please feel free to disagree with me. I can only report what I heard on my system. Thanks.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #66 of 3099 Old 10-27-2009, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Fox is doing 7.1 MA now? Cool.
I guess they're getting envious of Disney, Fox did a complete 180 from where they used to be as far as BDs are concerned.

I want to find an Ice-Age Boxset on the cheap before I watch any of these...whenever that will happen.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #67 of 3099 Old 10-27-2009, 08:51 PM

Liked: 11
Just noticed that Star Trek was released in Australia today. Will buy it tomorrow and give a review, I'm sure a lot of people are interested in this title.
post #68 of 3099 Old 10-27-2009, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

How you accurately tell you have a 1db "boost?"

An SPL meter reading is highly subjective with real, "moving" audio.. just curious.

Any explosion, gunshot etc. I am getting a 1 db increase in LFE. Sound level meter mounted on a tripod. Exact readings every time within the disc. Switch discs Imax to standard and LFE readings increased by .5-1db.

Examples The fallen stomping his foot on the ground 1.51s and 1.54s

The transformer at the beginning throwing the pipes 5.07s and explosion at 5.17s

Optimus Prime shooting that decipticon in the head 8.47s

Starscream launching 3 missiles at 1.46.56s-57s-58s and impacts at 1.47.01s-1.47.03s-1.47.04s-1.47.11s-1.47.14s

I did test without the THX processing and there was a significant decrease in bass by as much as 3db.

I am not saying the disc is flawed. My receiver is doing something to cause the extra db from the standard edition
post #69 of 3099 Old 10-27-2009, 09:07 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post

Just noticed that Star Trek was released in Australia today. Will buy it tomorrow and give a review, I'm sure a lot of people are interested in this title.

Oh, most definitely!

Stephen.

post #70 of 3099 Old 10-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Transformers Revenge Of The Fallen (DTS-MA) Reference

Just like the first Transformers, this one blew me away. Same sound design as the first, but it seemed just a bit more consistent throughout. LFE use is absolutely ridiculous and I thought the house was going to come down on top of me at times! However, it was well thought out in general and varied in weight/volume depending on what was going on. There was a part toward the start of the film where it felt like my couch was imploding from the subs and BKs.......crazy!

Dynamics were absolutely first rate!

Surround use was absolutely off the charts as well and at times I noticed the surrounds seemed to be doing all the audio with the fronts doing very little (which was a very cool effect). Helicopters, jets, missiles, etc...... panning from side to side, front to back was just incredible.

Dialog is the only nitpick I found worth mentioning. I never had a problem understanding what was being said, BUT dialog quality seemed to vary. What I mean is it seemed to get thin at times, most notably with the mom on the college campus in the first 1/4 of the film. This happened a few other times as well. This is a very minor nitpick though and like I said I never had a problem understanding what was being said.

All in all though this was one hell of a roller coaster HT audio ride and is without question a reference track IMO

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #71 of 3099 Old 10-27-2009, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

While I agree that TF2 was more consistent audio wise, I still think TF1 had more interesting sound.

Toe - Where you disappointed by the beginning? I think the rest is rock solid, but the intro is a total letdown. BTW - which version did you end up getting?

Studio quality tier
post #72 of 3099 Old 10-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

While I agree that TF2 was more consistent audio wise, I still think TF1 had more interesting sound.

Toe - Where you disappointed by the beginning? I think the rest is rock solid, but the intro is a total letdown. BTW - which version did you end up getting?

I thought the beginning was excellent. I was actually expecting to be let down a bit from the reading I had done, but I thought it sounded/felt great. Maybe on my next viewing I will get more picky with it though.

One thing I will say is even though I thought the sound on this was as good or better than the first (this might change if I watched them back to back since I am going off memory and we all know what that is worth), my favorite overall demo scene is still from the 1:42 mark to the 2:12 mark in the first just because it is so damn long and I like the whole city battle ground element.

You guys feel free to give me ****, but I ended up renting the standard version from Blockbuster and I still have my BSE sitting here unopened I will probably crack open the BSE though, turn it up 4db (I watched the regular version at -1 from ref calibrated with AVIA) and hope it is the same as the regular version. I want to see those IMAX scenes now!

Oh I forgot to add that the devastator transformation had my jaw on the floor! Shocking LFE/sound!

post #73 of 3099 Old 10-28-2009, 05:24 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

Any explosion, gunshot etc. I am getting a 1 db increase in LFE. Sound level meter mounted on a tripod. Exact readings every time within the disc. Switch discs Imax to standard and LFE readings increased by .5-1db.

Examples The fallen stomping his foot on the ground 1.51s and 1.54s

The transformer at the beginning throwing the pipes 5.07s and explosion at 5.17s

Optimus Prime shooting that decipticon in the head 8.47s

Starscream launching 3 missiles at 1.46.56s-57s-58s and impacts at 1.47.01s-1.47.03s-1.47.04s-1.47.11s-1.47.14s

I did test without the THX processing and there was a significant decrease in bass by as much as 3db.

I am not saying the disc is flawed. My receiver is doing something to cause the extra db from the standard edition

Do you have "THX Loudness Plus" engaged on your receiver? Sounds like you do.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #74 of 3099 Old 10-28-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Fox is doing 7.1 MA now? Cool.
I guess they're getting envious of Disney, Fox did a complete 180 from where they used to be as far as BDs are concerned.

I want to find an Ice-Age Boxset on the cheap before I watch any of these...whenever that will happen.

That is the same thing I thought when I read that review.

Great to hear. It has been so long since I watched a true 7.1 mix movie, currently using PLIIx, that I forgot what they sound like.

Still haven't heard a 7.1 mix though that sounds a whole lot different than a movie with PLIIx applied.
post #75 of 3099 Old 10-28-2009, 09:52 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

You guys feel free to give me ****, but I ended up renting the standard version from Blockbuster and I still have my BSE sitting here unopened

Hahahahaha! You hold on to it much longer and it'll be considered an unopened collector's item.

Stephen.

post #76 of 3099 Old 10-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Hahahahaha! You hold on to it much longer and it'll be considered an unopened collector's item.

post #77 of 3099 Old 10-28-2009, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Requiem for a Dream (DTS-MA 7.1) - Tier 1
What a score. Some very interesting sound editing here, that every now and then was a bit gimmicky, but every bit of it had a substantial benefit for telling the story. LFE is mostly light, it is a bit front heavy but it is a very wide spread. When the surrounds do come to life they are used with great effect, on the second visit to the doctors office a loud crash came from the left and I thought something broke off the wall in my room. I actually jumped. Dialog does sound like it wasn't recorded with the absolute best equipment, but it doesn't have a heavy ADR feel to it and its always clear.

I think this could have been a bit more bizarre sonically, but then again it would be easy to take it too far and distract from the story.

BTW - the movie itself is a work of art, it manages to find that exact cinema rhythm that makes a film become hypnotic. There's a only a few films that I can say make me lose sense of everything and this is one of them(It's extremely well crafted and the story itself serves as a top tier tragedy) - superb.

Studio quality tier
post #78 of 3099 Old 10-29-2009, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Enemy At The Gates (Dolby THD) Tier 2

This was a bit of a disappointment to me, it almost lacked any surround activity, though the front soundstage remained wide, it lacked depth. Bass was all over the place. The bombing of the department store scene was just lackluster. So is the opening battle. Even the sniper shots lacked punch. The score was the best part here though it could have used a little more depth as well. Dialog remained clear, but dynamics were only fair. It's only an average track, too bad.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #79 of 3099 Old 10-29-2009, 02:00 PM

Liked: 15
STAR TREK 2009 (Dolby TrueHD 5.1) REFERENCE

Where do I begin? WOW!! This is one outstanding audio soundtrack. Bass is very deep and detailed.Surrounds are active when called for. Pans between channels are smooth and seamless. Dialogue is clear as well. Dynamics are incredible. The front soundstage is spacious.This movie is truly audio nirvana. IMHO this is easily one of the top soundtracks that I've heard this year. Kudos to the audio team responsible for this gem.
post #80 of 3099 Old 10-29-2009, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man5.1 View Post

Where do I begin? WOW!! This is one outstanding audio soundtrack. Bass is very deep and detailed.Surrounds are active when called for. Pans between channels are smooth and seamless. Dialogue is clear as well. Dynamics are incredible. The front soundstage is spacious.This movie is truly audio nirvana. IMHO this is easily one of the top soundtracks that I've heard this year. Kudos to the audio team responsible for this gem.

And how did you get this so early? Is this the Aus release?
post #81 of 3099 Old 10-29-2009, 02:16 PM

Liked: 15
Yes it is. It's nice having a friend Down Under. I was concerned about whether it would live up to the expectations I had for the home release after seeing it in digital IMAX. I remember thinking "this is going to sound soooo good when it's release on Bluray!" Boy does it ever!! And it's a good movie to boot.
post #82 of 3099 Old 10-29-2009, 02:37 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can't wait for it to get here. It's not too far away now.

Stephen.

post #83 of 3099 Old 10-29-2009, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes it is. It's nice having a friend Down Under. I was concerned about whether it would live up to the expectations I had for the home release after seeing it in digital IMAX. I remember thinking "this is going to sound soooo good when it's release on Bluray!" Boy does it ever!! And it's a good movie to boot.

Yup, I had the exact same feeling. I was blown away at my IMAX showing and thought the same thing about the future blu-ray release. Can't wait!
post #84 of 3099 Old 10-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Me so jealous!!!
post #85 of 3099 Old 10-30-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

And how did you get this so early? Is this the Aus release?

I was going to wait for it to be cheaper before I got Star Trek, but I'm going shopping today since I'm in Australia!
post #86 of 3099 Old 10-30-2009, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

The Illusionist (German import) DTS-HD Master Audio Tier 2

In looking at the films listed in Tier 2, I think this is where this one belongs. Nothing really wrong with it. It's a period piece drama. Surrounds are used sparingly. The score sounds really good and dialogue is fine. Just not very dynamic.
post #87 of 3099 Old 10-30-2009, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I rented 12 Rounds and thought the audio track was Reference quality.

I totally agree with this review for AQ: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=16994271

My only small nit pick would be the John Cena driving the Fire Engine scenes could have had more dynamics during the collisions.
post #88 of 3099 Old 10-31-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:

STAR TREK 2009 AU (Dolby TrueHD 5.1) REFERENCE
+1 G-man 5.1 pretty much summed it up, Best soundtrack i have heard to date. There is not one scene that fails to deliver. Highlight was when Spok jumps to hyper space, The bass was tremendous.
post #89 of 3099 Old 10-31-2009, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, since Star Trek is distributed by Paramount in Australia, and the mix features the same codec as the U.S. release, I think it's safe to assume the mixes will be the same. Ditto for Monsters, Inc. (Disney/U.K. = Disney/U.S.) Anyone feel compelled to disagree?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #90 of 3099 Old 10-31-2009, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

The OP is up-to-date as of post #89. Here's a summary of the changes:

NEW to Reference:
A Bug's Life
Star Trek (2009)

REMOVED from Reference:
Black Hawk Down
The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
Twister

NEW to Tier 0:
12 Rounds
Black Hawk Down
The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
Contact
Twister
X-Men: The Last Stand

REMOVED from Tier 0:
Tropic Thunder

REMOVED from Tier 1:
V for Vendetta
X-Men: The Last Stand

NEW to Tier 2:
Tropic Thunder
V for Vendetta

Currently Disputed Rankings: Cleared out!

REMOVED from Unfinished Business:
12 Rounds
A Bug's Life
Contact

NEW to Unfinished Business:
Easy Rider
Enemy at the Gates
Fatal Attraction
Grace
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
The Illusionist (German release)
Land of the Lost
The Last Holiday
Mad Money (Canadian release)
Requiem for a Dream
Set It Off
Stargate
Trick r Treat
Visions of the Sea
Wallace & Gromit: The Complete Collection

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Master And Commander The Far Side Of The World Blu Ray , Casino Royale Blu Ray , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , How To Train Your Dragon , Iron Man 2 Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur , Kung Fu Panda Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , A Bugs Life Blu Ray , Monsters Inc Blu Ray , Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu Ray , Toy Story Trilogy Blu Ray 3d , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , The Conjuring Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray Dvd Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray 3d Combo Pack , Oblivion Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Kill Bill Volume 1 Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Rises Limited Edition Bat Cowl Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Last St
Gear in this thread - Last by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page