Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiles View Post

I do not have the Roy Orbison Blu Ray but have the DVD audio and Standard def DVD.
great concert and music.
I have a few DVD and Bluray concerts, but I enjoy the few DVD audio discs the best.
I try to follow the thread but I do not care for the rock or classical.
I like more easy listening and vocal. Any suggestions?
thanks

I am sure others might be able to give you more suggestions than me, but one that comes to mind that you might like is the Jewel BR (the Essential Live Songbook I think is the name of it??). A lot of it is just her and a acoustic guitar and it is VERY vocal driven, and pretty easy listening, but her voice is one that some like and some dont (I love her voice) The A/V is fantastic as well IMO.

Others can probably give you more or better suggestions though

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3096 Old 02-25-2010, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't think it's on BD, but the Eagles Farewell Tour I is a pretty excellent concert dvd, and the DTS audio is excellent. Great separation of the different band members, it sounds like you are standing on the middle of the stage with them. And of course, it's the Eagles, so it's a pretty mellow rock concert. Good stuff.

Infected with the AVS-induced Home Theater Bug.
post #903 of 3096 Old 02-26-2010, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

...but one that comes to mind that you might like is the Jewel BR (the Essential Live Songbook I think is the name of it??).

Good choice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterchad View Post

I don't think it's on BD, but the Eagles Farewell Tour I is a pretty excellent concert dvd, and the DTS audio is excellent. Great separation of the different band members, it sounds like you are standing on the middle of the stage with them. And of course, it's the Eagles, so it's a pretty mellow rock concert. Good stuff.

+1 -This concert is one of the reasons I still have a HD-DVD player...

k.d. lang Live in London is another well done show.
post #904 of 3096 Old 02-26-2010, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Tears Of The Sun (PCM) Tier 0

I pretty much stand by what I've said 2 years ago. The bass was inconsistent at the beginning mainly of what I expected from the large choppers would sound like, of course others might consider it "realistic" as this was clearly an artistic choice. Same goes for the constant barrage surrounds that used to convey the jungle. It took on a bit of overzealous tone meaning it was a bit much and sounded artificial in places and drawing a bit attention to it self. This too however a matter of taste, and some might welcome this. Those are the only two nitpicks I had, as this was a very well done and executed track otherwise. And it was a pleasure to hear it especially after the slew of lackluster or average tracks that I had to endure recently.

I agree. Tears Of The Sun - Tier 0

These are the notes I took:

Audio is through the roof. PCM 5.1 track is easily one of the better early Blu-rays. This is where I disagree with the HDD review. Ambient sounds abound. Reaches "wall of sound" proportions many times. Tons of low LFE...maybe even some subsonic stuff as well. Misses certain LFE events, but hits more than it doesn't. If you have a capable system, and more importantly, a treated room, you'll love this 5.1 PCM track. 4.5/5

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #905 of 3096 Old 02-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
GAMER: TIER 0

I would have loved to have given it a reference, but honestly I found the dialogue not up to par with the rest of the track.

What I will say, is for anyone wanting a "back speaker" workout, this film has the most extensive back speakers surround of any title i've heard.
post #906 of 3096 Old 02-28-2010, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Any scores for "Surrogates" yet?

post #907 of 3096 Old 03-01-2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post

I did watch this a couple weeks ago but didn't post a review. Not a lot of surround use, but what was there was pretty good. Good dialog intelligibility, and decent LFE, but not the best. Definitely wasn't reference, and I probably wouldn't even consider it demo-worthy, so I'd say it sits at around tier 1. Don't count that as an official score, I'd have to watch it again to be certain, but from what I remember, thats about where it sits.

post #908 of 3096 Old 03-01-2010, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Notorious (English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1) - Tier 1.0

It seems this title was moved from Tier 1.0 to 2.0 recently and I certainly don't understand why nor do I agree. I am not into rap music but I respect the genre and the quality of the music on this Blu-ray is exceptional. The film may be lacking in dynamic explosions and gun battles but that's not the thrust of this film. Some people may not care for the storyline but there is nothing wrong with the sound on this disc. Although it may not be reference quality it is certainly better than 2.0 IMO.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #909 of 3096 Old 03-01-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I gave it Tier 2 which is average in my book. There is nothing here that stand out including the music. "Training Day" among many others has a far better sounding music cuts then this has, and none of those films about a rapper, go figure. Actually the story line while it was predictable, was much more interesting then the "music", or the sound design and mix

Once again this thread isn't about artistic intent, but what we individually like in any track. Your vote will bring up the rank to Tier 1 I believe, but you won't hear me complain about it even though I don't agree with that, because that's how this thread works.

The Hun
post #910 of 3096 Old 03-01-2010, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Coraline (DTS HD MA) Tier 1

It won't set your world on fire, but it is serving the film well. A bit on a mellow side for surround usage and dynamics, but gets high marks for the music and dialog reproduction.
Bass is ample when it is needed.

The Hun
post #911 of 3096 Old 03-01-2010, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

+1 -This concert is one of the reasons I still have a HD-DVD player...

Me too. In fact, it's really the only reason I still have my HD-DVD player.
post #912 of 3096 Old 03-01-2010, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did watch this a couple weeks ago but didn't post a review. Not a lot of surround use, but what was there was pretty good. Good dialog intelligibility, and decent LFE, but not the best. Definitely wasn't reference, and I probably wouldn't even consider it demo-worthy, so I'd say it sits at around tier 1. Don't count that as an official score, I'd have to watch it again to be certain, but from what I remember, thats about where it sits.

Thanks man, much appreciated. Going to try and watch it this week.

post #913 of 3096 Old 03-02-2010, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post

Surrogates (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 1

Dialogue is clear. Surround use throughout. No significant directionality. A few discrete sounds. LFE was pretty good at times. In the beginning of the movie there is music in a club which has good LFE as well as a car crash and a few other times which I don't specifically recall. I guess that's the problem just not that memorable.
post #914 of 3096 Old 03-02-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

Dialogue is clear. Surround use throughout. No significant directionality. A few discrete sounds. LFE was pretty good at times. In the beginning of the movie there is music in a club which has good LFE as well as a car crash and a few other times which I don't specifically recall. I guess that's the problem just not that memorable.

Since that pretty much coincided with what I had written above, and since I only rented the movie, I will go ahead and agree that a Tier 1 vote is appropriate.

post #915 of 3096 Old 03-03-2010, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

2012 (DTS-HD MA) Reference

Whew, after what seemed like it took days to accomplish, I finally got a sub EQ for my dual Epik Empire subs and have them dialed in perfectly. In combination with Audyssey MultiEQ XT, I feel like my system is really rockin'. Now onto more movie watching...
...so first up is 2012. I had high expectations for this disaster movie. It exceeded them. I could use any number of adjectives to describe this one - bombastic, intense, enveloping, the list could go on and on. Destruction never sounded so good as it does in 2012. I've never heard my surrounds come to life like they did listening to this movie. A true 360 degree soundfield had me ducking and weaving as if I was part of the action. I haven't even mentioned the low end yet. Suffice it to say, LFE is thunderous and aplenty.
This one rates right up there with the best that has been released.
post #916 of 3096 Old 03-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

2012 (DTS-MA) tier 1

I will get the good out of the way first............the surrounds in this film are top notch, especially during the more ambient type moments. Very impressive. Dialog is great and no complaints overall. The last 1/4 of the film overall sounds very good.

Unfortunately all the numerous reports around the net and in the bass thread in the subwoofer forum are right about the unconvincing low end for a good chunk of the film There are numerous missed LFE spots in this film (explosions, buildings being destroyed, the earth giving away, etc.........) and numerous spots where LFE while being present, does not hit nearly as hard as one would expect. Missed sound spots are one thing that really can annoy me and these moments seemed even more apparent after watching Hellboy 2 a few nights ago which I dont think there is a single missed spot in the entire film and is truly reference all around IMO. The "tension" bass hits harder than the vast majority of the effects especially in the first ~1/4 of the film or so which contains some of the biggest action. This is a big disappointment for this type of film in particular since a movie like this MUST have a convincing low end IMO to be fully effective. This is not to say the whole movie is weak as far as LFE as there are some good moments, but there are plenty of missed spots and/or lacking spots as well unfortunately. Dynamics during these early disaster moments are relatively flat as well considering the on screen action. This one SHOULD have been the next Cloverfield, Hellboy 2, The Incredible Hulk from a LFE perpsective, but it falls way short.

Finally, as good as the sound was at times, it just did not support the movie all that well for some reason IMO (excluding most of the more quiet ambient type moments which were honestly the most impressive part of this one) as I was rarely pulled into the film (again excluding the more ambient type moments and the last ~1/4 or so of the film) from a sound perspective. Even a bad film can pull me in from a sound perspective if the audio hits the mark, but that just was not the case for me with this one for whatever reason.

I had high hopes for this one, but for me it was a pretty big disappointment for the most part. There are MANY films and/or movie scenes I would throw on to demo my system before this one.

post #917 of 3096 Old 03-03-2010, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 240

Same FX mixer as "Hellboy 2.."

Same Supervising Sound Editor/Sound Designer as "The Hurt Locker."
post #918 of 3096 Old 03-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Same FX mixer as "Hellboy 2.."

Same Supervising Sound Editor/Sound Designer as "The Hurt Locker."

Interesting........ It missed the mark for me though.

Like I said, I just rewatched Hellboy 2 on Sunday and it is night and day better overall strictly from a sound perspective IMO especially as far as supporting the film. Oh well, I am clearly in the minority on this one (besides the LFE which many people have commented on).

post #919 of 3096 Old 03-03-2010, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Agree with Toe - great, enveloping surrounds but the LFE was just lacking and did not support the visuals. Very disappointed at the missed opportunities in this title.

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
post #920 of 3096 Old 03-04-2010, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, that surprises me that you guys didn't like 2012's mix. I thought the movie was a stinker but I will keep it in my collection purely based on the A/V quality. I thought LFE was abundant. Could it have dug deeper at times? Yeah, I guess so but that's not to say it wasn't there and didn't support the material well enough. I never saw my walls shaking like I did during The Hurt Locker's explosions. But I certainly felt it in my chest. And to me, that's the visceral experience I would expect from the action I saw on screen. I thought the immersive experience that it gave me was incredible.
post #921 of 3096 Old 03-04-2010, 06:39 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Wow, that surprises me that you guys didn't like 2012's mix. I thought the movie was a stinker but I will keep it in my collection purely based on the A/V quality. I thought LFE was abundant. Could it have dug deeper at times? Yeah, I guess so but that's not to say it wasn't there and didn't support the material well enough. I never saw my walls shaking like I did during The Hurt Locker's explosions. But I certainly felt it in my chest. And to me, that's the visceral experience I would expect from the action I saw on screen. I thought the immersive experience that it gave me was incredible.

I was equally surprised with your review to be honest. Several people/reviews have mentioned the unconvincing low end and I fully agree. Yeah I felt it in my chest at times as well, but there were so many spots where it should have hit and did not (if it was hitting it was too tame considering what was happening on screen) or should have hit harder to some degree to be convincing. The early So Cal sequences are a great example of this as well as some explosions, buildings coming down that had very little in the way of what I thought would be there, roads cracking apart, super markets splitting in half, etc.........big disappointment IMO. When the "tension" bass hits harder than the vast amount of effects, it takes me out of the film (at least it did in this one).

Surround activity was top notch though and I agree with you there.

Most people will probably not be as disappointed as I was because there is a lot to like about this track such as the surround activity and ambiance, but for bass heads, this one is a let down and should have been MUCH better. I think a VERY powerful and convincing low end is crucial for this type of film to fully work and it just did not happen IMO.

Its all good though, we just did not hear it the same.

I thought the film was fun as a side note.............it had its issues, but a fun shut your brain off and enjoy the ride type

post #922 of 3096 Old 03-04-2010, 06:53 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 127
2012 (DTS-MA), Tier 1

Agree with Toe. Good dialog, good surrounds, but something didn't sound right with the LFE. In my opinion, it wasn't simply that it was recorded low, but rather it sounded like it was just mixed wrong or something. It sounded "hard" and forced, and almost as if it started to really roll off around 50 hz or so. Very strange, and most certainly not what I was expecting. Hearing FlimMixer say this was from the same team who did HB2 is quite a shock considering the LFE in that one.

I had no problems with the rest of the track, and if this hadn't been one of those films so dependent on proper sound design, I wouldn't knock it so hard for the LFE. However, this is just one of those movies that needed Cloverfield type bass, but it just didn't deliver (not even close).

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #923 of 3096 Old 03-04-2010, 06:57 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

2012 (DTS-MA), Tier 1
However, this is just one of those movies that needed Cloverfield type bass, but it just didn't deliver (not even close).

Exactly. This type of film really needs that extra kick to keep you immersed IMO from a sound perspective and considering the MASSIVE on screen destruction, it commonly fell way short.

I think the lacking low end seemed especially noticable to me since I have watched some truly excellent low end films in the last week including both Hellboys and Flight of the Phoenix...........all 3 of these are supported VERY well by the sound and low end in particular.

post #924 of 3096 Old 03-04-2010, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah well. Your explanation makes sense, Toe. It's all about perception and expectation. For example, I believe you rate The Matrix Reloaded as a reference track (especially that highway sequence) and I don't. (well, the highway sequence I do but not the rest of the movie)
That's why I like this thread. Many different opinions based on perception and expectation.
By the way, I did not read anything about 2012's audio before viewing it. Where did you read all the comments about poor LFE? Was it at another forum?
post #925 of 3096 Old 03-04-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
2012 - Tier 0

I think most people's problems with LFE are the same with the first Transformers.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #926 of 3096 Old 03-04-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

2012? I'll hope for better with WOTW.
post #927 of 3096 Old 03-04-2010, 11:00 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

2012 - Tier 0

I think most people's problems with LFE are the same with the first Transformers.

Other than the EMP blast (or whatever it was) in the beginning, I loved the LFE in the first movie. Some of the best and most balanced out there, IMO. 2012 just missed the mark completely for me.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #928 of 3096 Old 03-04-2010, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

2012 (DTS-MA) tier 1

I will get the good out of the way first............the surrounds in this film are top notch, especially during the more ambient type moments. Very impressive. Dialog is great and no complaints overall. The last 1/4 of the film overall sounds very good.

Unfortunately all the numerous reports around the net and in the bass thread in the subwoofer forum are right about the unconvincing low end for a good chunk of the film There are numerous missed LFE spots in this film (explosions, buildings being destroyed, the earth giving away, etc.........) and numerous spots where LFE while being present, does not hit nearly as hard as one would expect. Missed sound spots are one thing that really can annoy me and these moments seemed even more apparent after watching Hellboy 2 a few nights ago which I dont think there is a single missed spot in the entire film and is truly reference all around IMO. The "tension" bass hits harder than the vast majority of the effects especially in the first ~1/4 of the film or so which contains some of the biggest action. This is a big disappointment for this type of film in particular since a movie like this MUST have a convincing low end IMO to be fully effective. This is not to say the whole movie is weak as far as LFE as there are some good moments, but there are plenty of missed spots and/or lacking spots as well unfortunately. Dynamics during these early disaster moments are relatively flat as well considering the on screen action. This one SHOULD have been the next Cloverfield, Hellboy 2, The Incredible Hulk from a LFE perpsective, but it falls way short.

Finally, as good as the sound was at times, it just did not support the movie all that well for some reason IMO (excluding most of the more quiet ambient type moments which were honestly the most impressive part of this one) as I was rarely pulled into the film (again excluding the more ambient type moments and the last ~1/4 or so of the film) from a sound perspective. Even a bad film can pull me in from a sound perspective if the audio hits the mark, but that just was not the case for me with this one for whatever reason.

I had high hopes for this one, but for me it was a pretty big disappointment for the most part. There are MANY films and/or movie scenes I would throw on to demo my system before this one.

I was going to post the same tier recommendation yesterday, but put it off. I too thought we might all be jumping on the reference audio and video bandwagon, but 2012 isn't what I was expecting. Overall the sound was good and surrounds were excellent, but I have heard better in several movies, namely the ones you mentioned. Quite frankly Toe I know you and I are on the same page with music and other things in life, , but I really was going to say something very similar to what you posted.

2012: Recommendation: Tier 1
post #929 of 3096 Old 03-04-2010, 03:53 PM

2012-DTS-HD MA Tier 1

This is one of those times where the LFE (or lack thereof) really hurt the overall presentation. As Toe mentioned, times where the ground should be shaking and rumbling (the Earth is literally falling apart) there is but a moderate increase in volume, and not certainly not that earth shattering bass you would expect. As far as surround use, it is pretty heavy and is one of the more involved mixes in recent memory, but that many helicopters/planes flying by doesn't make up for the lack of rumble from the sub. Pretty good overall, but not the best.

post #930 of 3096 Old 03-04-2010, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

Quote:

Since that pretty much coincided with what I had written above, and since I only rented the movie, I will go ahead and agree that a Tier 1 vote is appropriate.

I agree with both of you guys:

Just watched it last night. Not terrible, but not memorable nor demo-worthy.

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Master And Commander The Far Side Of The World Blu Ray , Casino Royale Blu Ray , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , How To Train Your Dragon , Iron Man 2 Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur , Kung Fu Panda Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , A Bugs Life Blu Ray , Monsters Inc Blu Ray , Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu Ray , Toy Story Trilogy Blu Ray 3d , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , The Conjuring Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray Dvd Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray 3d Combo Pack , Oblivion Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Kill Bill Volume 1 Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Rises Limited Edition Bat Cowl Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Last St
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page