NEW Audio Tier Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 3096 Old 03-09-2010, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
One of my favorite mixes in recent memory has been "9". This mix is just incredible in detail, LFE, and surround activity. This would be my pick of 2010.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3096 Old 03-09-2010, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Yeah, well we got about 10 months to go.

The Hun
post #993 of 3096 Old 03-10-2010, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Yup. T3 was such a disappointment in the audio department.

I haven't heard the BD's yet, but I'm very familiar with both on DVD. I have the latest Lowry restoration with DTS of the Bond film, but it was no match not even by a long shot to T3 on DVD [or the HD DVD I]. Mostly because of the dated design and recording, but I check out the Bond BD to see if any appreciable difference between it and the DVD.

The Hun
post #994 of 3096 Old 03-10-2010, 05:56 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino View Post

One of my favorite mixes in recent memory has been "9". This mix is just incredible in detail, LFE, and surround activity. This would be my pick of 2010.

9 was actually a 2009 blu ray release (December 29). Was it your favorite of 2009?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Yup. T3 was such a disappointment in the audio department.

Interesting. I always thought T3 was a fantastic track on DVD and HD-DVD and a solid tier 0 (might drop it to tier 1 since it is not lossless). Been a while since I watched though and maybe I need to give it another listen

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #995 of 3096 Old 03-10-2010, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
[quote=Toe;18284107]9 was actually a 2009 blu ray release (December 29). Was it your favorite of 2009?

Sorry. 2009
post #996 of 3096 Old 03-10-2010, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Interesting. I always thought T3 was a fantastic track on DVD and HD-DVD and a solid tier 0 (might drop it to tier 1 since it is not lossless). Been a while since I watched though and maybe I need to give it another listen

You actually penalize a track because it's lossy?

The Hun
post #997 of 3096 Old 03-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

You actually penalize a track because it's lossy?

When it is a blu ray and it should be lossless, sure..........I certainly think a 1 tier drop for a track that is not lossless is reasonable. The other thing is I said "I might" which means I might not as well. Just my opinion though

post #998 of 3096 Old 03-10-2010, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

That's why I asked, because you said "might". Just wondered.

The Hun
post #999 of 3096 Old 03-11-2010, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 70
9 was great!!
post #1000 of 3096 Old 03-13-2010, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Red Heat - (DTS-HD MA) - Tier 4

Ouch was this ever dated! Sound effects were cheap 80's and bass was lacking. Dialog was even hard to understand a few times. Besides a couple times the surrounds were almost inactive. Made my gf say "this sounds like ****)
post #1001 of 3096 Old 03-13-2010, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Pandorum (TrueHD 5.1) - Tier 2

For me this mix was an inconsistent mess. Sound level was all over the place. I usually listen at -9 dB but had to lower this to -12 dB as during action I was blasted with "noise.". At times this was too low for dialogue. Dialogue at times was unclear even when there wasn't action. When there was action sometimes the "noise" of the action overtook the dialogue. Dialogue at times had a tinney quality. Sound level of the action at times was loud just for the sake of loudness with poor tone quality. A lot of treble and midrange, not much bass. LFE at times was significant, at other times should have been better. Surround use throughout without much attention to detail or directionality.

I know others rated this much higher and enjoyed the mix, I didn't. I stand by my comments. My opinion.
post #1002 of 3096 Old 03-14-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

For me this mix was an inconsistent mess. Sound level was all over the place. I usually listen at -9 dB but had to lower this to -12 dB as during action I was blasted with "noise.". At times this was too low for dialogue. Dialogue at times was unclear even when there wasn't action. When there was action sometimes the "noise" of the action overtook the dialogue. Dialogue at times had a tinney quality. Sound level of the action at times was loud just for the sake of loudness with poor tone quality. A lot of treble and midrange, not much bass. LFE at times was significant, at other times should have been better. Surround use throughout without much attention to detail or directionality.

I know others rated this much higher and enjoyed the mix, I didn't. I stand by my comments. My opinion.

I'll have to re-watch this title, I do remember I was playing with the volume on the remote several times. I would boost the volume to hear the dialogue and then jump to lower it when the special effects kicked in. I would also agree that the general loudness of the BD is overdone. Although no one else has rated this movie as low as Tier 2 they have complained of some of the same things you point out.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #1003 of 3096 Old 03-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

9 was great!!

I just rewatched this and WOW! What a track! The scene starting at 1:03:40 (there is a chapter mark here) up through the end of the action is just insane demo material IMO!

post #1004 of 3096 Old 03-14-2010, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You should engage compression on your AVR or BD player if you like the peak volume to be limited.

For a great mix, the loudest action should use the full dynamic range of the medium. There was never any distortion in loud action on that mix. I don't even think the worst sound mixer in the world would mix a commercial theatrical release that would distort. Pandorum and no "noise", so that came from your system. To play a really dynamic track you have to have amplifiers and speakers that are up to the task. If you don't, just engage the compression that all Dolby decoders have to have to get the Dolby licence. Your sub's amp should have a soft clipping circuit otherwise when the redirected Bass and LFE combine at their peak levels you might drive your sub's amp into clipping and damage your sub.

If you are using a PS3 and are doing PCM out the PS3, you have to make sure the PS3's internal Volume control is a "0".

In real life for example crashes, air horns, and gun fire are way louder than you can comfortably stand to listen to. The mix is trying to be as close to what you would hear in the real world to put you in the action.
post #1005 of 3096 Old 03-14-2010, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

You should engage compression on your AVR or BD player if you like the peak volume to be limited.

For a great mix, the loudest action should use the full dynamic range of the medium. There was never any distortion in loud action on that mix. I don't even think the worst sound mixer in the world would mix a commercial theatrical release that would distort. Pandorum and no "noise", so that came from your system. To play a really dynamic track you have to have amplifiers and speakers that are up to the task. If you don't, just engage the compression that all Dolby decoders have to have to get the Dolby licence. Your sub's amp should have a soft clipping circuit otherwise when the redirected Bass and LFE combine at their peak levels you might drive your sub's amp into clipping and damage your sub.

If you are using a PS3 and are doing PCM out the PS3, you have to make sure the PS3's internal Volume control is a "0".

In real life for example crashes, air horns, and gun fire are way louder than you can comfortably stand to listen to. The mix is trying to be as close to what you would hear in the real world to put you in the action.

The sound wasn't distorted. I called it "noise" as the sound was just loud and harsh, poor tonal quality. No significant bass, all treble and midrange. My system handles other blu-ray discs without issue. For me, the problem is the mix.
post #1006 of 3096 Old 03-14-2010, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

The Informant (TrueHD 5.1) - Tier 1

Dialogue driven with sound directed from the front. No appreciable use of surrounds. There were some nice discrete sounds such as footsteps on gravel which came through the fronts. Dialogue had a nice tonal quality. LFE not a factor.
post #1007 of 3096 Old 03-14-2010, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Hard Rain (DTS-MA 7.1) - Tier 1
Drop Zone (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 1

Similar comments for both. Dialogue clear throughout. Good use of surrounds. Occasional directionality. Some discrete sounds in both. Weakness for both was LFE. Drop Zone on occasion had some fair LFE but still could have been better even then.

Presumed Innocent (DTS-MA 2.0) - Tier 2

Clear dialogue, dialogue driven with sound from the front. Some of the music in the middle of the movie was also heard in the surrounds. A few discrete sounds. LFE not a factor.
post #1008 of 3096 Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Chaos (DTS HD MA 7.1) Tier 1

Another just barely above the average Lionsgate home mix here. Problems with dialog mostly with it's "screechy" moments especially at the beginning part of the movie. Cleans up nicely after that. Bass and dynamics are good if not spectacular. Gun shots sounded plausible. The big explosions had a bit dated sound to them, much like what you hear on films from the 80's but with more oomph. Surround usage was a bit all over the place, and sound elements like the one for rain, sounded more sizzling bacon at the beginning. Still an enjoyable mix, but not a terrific one.

The Hun
post #1009 of 3096 Old 03-15-2010, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Frantic (DTS-MA 2.0) - Tier 4

Dialogue driven, sound primarily from the center channel. Coarse sounds at times centered in midrange. LFE not a factor.
post #1010 of 3096 Old 03-15-2010, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Up in the Air (DTS-HD MA) Tier 3

Meh, about what you would expect out of a dialogue-driven dramedy.
post #1011 of 3096 Old 03-15-2010, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

The Box (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 3

Dialogue driven with rare surround use. Clear dialogue. LFE appropriate but not much of a factor.
post #1012 of 3096 Old 03-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Presumed Innocent (DTS-MA 2.0) - Tier 2

Clear dialogue, dialogue driven with sound from the front. Some of the music in the middle of the movie was also heard in the surrounds. A few discrete sounds. LFE not a factor.

Thanks for this. Good to hear a 2.0 title get reviewed.

I was really excited about getting this one. Not only cause I love the film and think it's a great "whodunit", also cause this would be my first chance to play with a "hi-rez" 2.0 Dolby Surround Mix.

While there have been some good 5.1 made of of 2.0 mixes, it's sometimes good to hear a 2.0 title decoded to Dolby Surround. I've had a Pro-Logic II receiver for years, but honestly not had the chance to exercise Dolby Surround since my VHS days. With Warners giving us a 2.0 DTSMA track. for the first time since Laserdisc, we have the potential for an equivalent PCM track.

While Presumed Innocent doesn't have a strongly engaged surround field, it's better than what I thought it would be. Dialogue came through well and the surround-field was appropriate for each setting of the film. I came away very satisfied.

I'm of the mind where i'd rather have an excellent Pro-Logic mix, than a crappy 5.1.
post #1013 of 3096 Old 03-16-2010, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

You mean stereo mix? If the film had multi channel mix and then re mixed as 2 channel with matrix surround encoding, then it's step down regardless if it is PCM or not compared to the original MCH mix, however if it was stereo to begin with then using something like DPL II[x] can do quiet a wonder indeed on it's own.

The Hun
post #1014 of 3096 Old 03-16-2010, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Planet 51 (DTS-HD MA) Tier 1

Reminding me a lot of "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs", Planet 51 is a good but not great sound mix. It has a couple of nice sequences that show a broad range and an enveloping sound field, but overall, nothing spectacular. Ironically, I felt the same way about the picture quality and overall, it solidified my opinion that Sony and Fox and other "independent" animation studios lag behind the Pixars and Dreamworks of the world when it comes to story telling and a/v presentation.
post #1015 of 3096 Old 03-16-2010, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Law Abiding Citizen - (TrueHD 5.1) - Reference

Bravo FilmMixer. I love this mix. For me, it had everything I look for.

This is not an action movie and not the typical type of movie many would classify as reference. The audio mix doesn't just support the plot but moves it along and adds drama/suspense to the scenes. The action isn't what makes the drama it is the sound. LFE is appropriate and significant when it needs to be. Some of the LFE isn't "in your face" such as the scene where one of the cars loses power in the cemetary. It's just a whiff but it makes you think you can feel it. Dialogue is clear throughout. Surround use throughout with directionality. Clear crisp sounds with many discrete sounds. One scene involving the mayor really startled me, literally where I jumped. It was due to the sound (Good one there FilmMixer! It definitely took me by surprise and made me chuckle). Times of silence added to the drama.

+1

Law Abiding Citizen - (TrueHD 5.1) - Tier 0

I just can't go Reference unless the track is Demo quality and this Genre of movie doesn't meet that criteria for me.

But it was a superb mix. The Mayor scene made me jump.
post #1016 of 3096 Old 03-17-2010, 12:32 PM

The Princess and the Frog (DTS-HD MA 5.1) Tier 0

While mostly dialog driven, this films score lights up the entire soundstage with some fantastic music, and the sweet surround effects during the musical sequences were the icing on the cake. All of the instruments (mostly New Orleans Jazz stuff) sounded crystal clear and had a weight to them that really gave the songs some oomph. The dynamic range here impressed me quite a bit, as the movie could go from a couple of people talking on the street into a full blown music act and really come to life, laying down some loud music, and returning at a moment's notice to a quiet and serene conversation. Center channel had plenty of volume and the mix was great for what it intended to do.

Infected with the AVS-induced Home Theater Bug.
post #1017 of 3096 Old 03-17-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Love Happens (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 2

Dialogue is clear, dialogue driven movie. Surround use for ambience, music, action in flashback scenes. LFE not a factor.
post #1018 of 3096 Old 03-17-2010, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

+1

Law Abiding Citizen - (TrueHD 5.1) - Tier 0

I just can't go Reference unless the track is Demo quality and this Genre of movie doesn't meet that criteria for me.

But it was a superb mix. The Mayor scene made me jump.

Thank you.
post #1019 of 3096 Old 03-17-2010, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Cliffhanger (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 0

Clear dialogue throughout. Most impressive is surround use with directionality. The 1st few minutes is a prime example: helicopter from the surrounds pans to the fronts, really impressive excellent use of the whole soundfield. Several others like this as well. At times LFE was pretty good, but I still wanted more. There was a hint of couch shaking LFE a few times, but for me it needed more to push it in the reference range. Other times definitely could have used more LFE. Realistic effects. A few good explosions and crashes. Increase in LFE for me would have put it in reference. Discrete sounds throughout.
post #1020 of 3096 Old 03-17-2010, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Is there any point of voting on movies that are already ranked when your vote would agree with the current rankings?
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Master And Commander The Far Side Of The World Blu Ray , Casino Royale Blu Ray , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , How To Train Your Dragon , Iron Man 2 Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur , Kung Fu Panda Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , A Bugs Life Blu Ray , Monsters Inc Blu Ray , Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu Ray , Toy Story Trilogy Blu Ray 3d , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , The Conjuring Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray Dvd Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray 3d Combo Pack , Oblivion Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Kill Bill Volume 1 Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Rises Limited Edition Bat Cowl Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Last St
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page