post #1081 of 3096 Old 03-25-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I must be living in a bucket. I've never even heard of that movie until now. Is it any good? 74% on Rotten Tomatoes, which isn't bad at all. Lots of action? Lots of dialog?

2/3rd of the movie is pretty good, then it takes a sharp turn into something else.
It's worth to check out IMO, just don't expect much. Not quiet reference audio for me but very good indeed. I probably should revisit this, as I rated it under the old tier system.

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3096 Old 03-25-2010, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Public Enemies (DTS HD MA) Tier 2

Yeah I agree with the general consensus here, this thing was botched, probably one of Mann's artistic nightmare that only he can appreciate. The major issue is inconsistency. The level the mood the fidelity changes almost scene by scene or even by the camera shot of the same scene. Frankly if it wasn't for the excellent shoot outs I would rate this as tier 4.
What a mess.

The Hun
post #1083 of 3096 Old 03-25-2010, 02:44 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

I just checked this out and did not realize it but you are right. For some reason when I bitstream to my Onkyo 805 with my JVC XV-bP1 I only get 5.1 DTS HD MASTER. I tried it on my PS3 and it shows up on the PS3 fat DTS HD MASTER 6.1 and all the channels on my receiver are lit up. On the JVC all I get is 5.1 channels lit up. The same thing on the JVC when I set it to decode on the player still 5.1.

I'm not sure if you typed this funny or if I'm reading it incorrectly, but you're not bitstreaming with the PS3, correct? LCPM to the receiver, and hitting select during a movie to check out which audio track you're using? My AVR will just say "PCM Direct" when I'm decoding w/ the PS3, but you can still check on the PS3 which track it is. Just curious, as if I can bitstream I would. Pretty sure it's an HDMI problem though.

Infected with the AVS-induced Home Theater Bug.
post #1084 of 3096 Old 03-25-2010, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterchad View Post

I'm not sure if you typed this funny or if I'm reading it incorrectly, but you're not bitstreaming with the PS3, correct? LCPM to the receiver, and hitting select during a movie to check out which audio track you're using? My AVR will just say "PCM Direct" when I'm decoding w/ the PS3, but you can still check on the PS3 which track it is. Just curious, as if I can bitstream I would. Pretty sure it's an HDMI problem though.

There isn't a problem... it is a 6.1 ES matrix DTS HD-MA 5.1 track.

If decoded on the PS3 (the newer "Slims" are the only ones that can send DTS-HD bitstreams) it should send out a 7.1 PCM signal.
post #1085 of 3096 Old 03-25-2010, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Yes lpcm with hdmi.
post #1086 of 3096 Old 03-25-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Toy Story 2 (DTS-HD MA 5.1) - Reference

Watching this wonderful film for the umpteenth time (first time on Blu), I was astonished at how the speakers seemed to vanish and I was completely enveloped in sound. Every sound is precisely generated and perfectly placed. Dialogue is always well balanced and never shrill or edgy. Wonderful atmospherics. Rockin' LFE when appropriate. Simply put, it's perfect.

Now, bring on Finding Nemo and The Incredibles! Is it too much to hope that we see them both before the year is out? (I mean come on, Finding Nemo has been in the can for how long now?)
post #1087 of 3096 Old 03-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just playing around with some scenes from FIGHT CLUB. All I can say is WOW so far. Can't wait till I have time on the weekend to check it all out.
post #1088 of 3096 Old 03-26-2010, 12:12 AM

Toy Story 2 (DTS-HD MA 5.1) - Tier 0
There's something about this track that doesn't quite hit reference for me. First of all, the center channel seemed quieter than usual on this (I'd like to see if others noticed this or it was just me). Dialogue was sometimes too soft. There's a scene with Al asking the old man restorer "how long will it take?" The line was unusually quiet and that really stood out.

Overall, a very solid track. But sequences like the beginning with Buzz, the bouncing balls in the toy store, and the street scene with the cars - plenty loud with strong LFE, but I didn't find the directionality as pure and distinct. I distinctly remember that street lamppost that collapses sounded really good on the DVD version on my old home theater.

I might be judging things too harshly, since TS2 is not a recent movie like Cars and Ratatouille (which are reference in my book). But I have to rank it somewhere, so I'm putting it just underneath Reference. Besides, I don't think it matches the Reference sound of A Bug's Life, which came before.
post #1089 of 3096 Old 03-26-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I must be living in a bucket. I've never even heard of that movie until now. Is it any good? 74% on Rotten Tomatoes, which isn't bad at all. Lots of action? Lots of dialog?

Released back in 2007, directed by Danny Boyle. As you can tell from the comments so far it has received a fair amount of criticism but also many who think its wonderful. For the most part it's the third act that sours many viewers on the film and understandable. If you can accept that than the movie makes a great addition to anyone's sci-fi library.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=sunshine

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #1090 of 3096 Old 03-26-2010, 10:29 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Thanks for the thoughts on Sunshine, guys. I'll give it a rental.

TS1 & 2 should be here today, so I'll give my impressions on them this weekend.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #1091 of 3096 Old 03-26-2010, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The Professional (DTS-HD MA 5.1) Tier 1

Dialogue was well prioritized and some discrete sound effects were present at most times. Film has an intense score that came through real nice across the front soundstage. As a matter of fact, the only real deep boomy LFE that I heard in the movie was in the score. Gunfire and a central explosion lacked any real impact bass. Just not enough here to match Tier 0 titles. Tier 1 looks right.
post #1092 of 3096 Old 03-26-2010, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Did You Hear About the Morgans? (DTS-MA 5.1) -Tier 2

Clear dialogue, dialogue driven. Surrounds used for music, ambience. LFE not a factor.
post #1093 of 3096 Old 03-27-2010, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Triangle (Dolby THD) Tier 0

Quiet a surprise on this one, as this is a low budget "Euro co production" but set at the Florida off shores, as the title implies. Supernatural horror/suspense flick. Anyway it was mixed and encoded a bit hot, which hinders dynamics a bit. Dialog was unnatural in some places, though it was intelligible throughout. Bass was quiet forceful, and had plenty of roles on the mix. Surround was almost constant with plenty of directionality but without jumping. Balance was good among the elements. Check it out, it's a good movie too.

The Hun
post #1094 of 3096 Old 03-27-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbo345 View Post

Toy Story 2 (DTS-HD MA 5.1) - Tier 0
There's something about this track that doesn't quite hit reference for me. First of all, the center channel seemed quieter than usual on this (I'd like to see if others noticed this or it was just me). Dialogue was sometimes too soft. There's a scene with Al asking the old man restorer "how long will it take?" The line was unusually quiet and that really stood out.

When I was watching this I noticed a lot of the dialog kind of floated out to the fronts and wasn't always locked in the center channel. This might be why you felt the center was a bit weak, but I didn't have a problem with it. Its just a little different than what I am used to. Take another listen, if you can...you will notice that when the characters are towards the left or right edge of the screen, their voice seems to come out about half and half instead of dead center.

post #1095 of 3096 Old 03-27-2010, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Armored (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 0

Clear dialogue. Surround use throughout with more than a few occasions of directionality. There were a few times where LFE was very good, (couch shaking) but for the most part for my taste could have been better.
post #1096 of 3096 Old 03-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 66
had lazy day today
watched Mr. and Mrs. Smith for first time on Blu-ray - deserves its reference
rating - outstanding disc

Toy Story 1 - just fantastic sound engineering -amazing imaging, huge dynamics
I really prefer soundtracks like this when you are not bombarded with low end but when scene calls for it slams you in the chest
Strong reference disc

Toy Story 2 on deck

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #1097 of 3096 Old 03-27-2010, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Hurt Locker (DTS-HD MA 5.1)-Reference

This is definitely a reference quality track with possibly the best gunfire and explosion effects I've heard in a movie, not to mention the in between battle effects.

Astro Boy (DTS-HD MA 5.1)-Tier 1

The movie has pretty good audio, but some spots the vocals seemed too loud and out of balance with the rest of the audio.
post #1098 of 3096 Old 03-27-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

Clear dialogue. Surround use throughout with more than a few occasions of directionality. There were a few times where LFE was very good, (couch shaking) but for the most part for my taste could have been better.

Was the movie any good? Saw the trailer a long time ago, but wasn't sure if it would be decent. I think it got pretty bad reviews.

post #1099 of 3096 Old 03-27-2010, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Was the movie any good? Saw the trailer a long time ago, but wasn't sure if it would be decent. I think it got pretty bad reviews.

I thought it was horrible.
post #1100 of 3096 Old 03-27-2010, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I am hesitant to vote on 2 concerts because I did not complete them but just some ideas:

MJ This is it... Both WOW/Reference and WTF. The musical score was amazing but he did not just hold back he basically slept through> I know it was auditions but it just sucked that the most amazing score I have ever heard was ruined..... Off topic, I did not finish it because he is just TOO hard to watch and very scary.

Ozzfest 10th Anniversary - Horrible SQ. WOW. When I complete this I am anticipation tier 3 at the highest.
post #1101 of 3096 Old 03-27-2010, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Everybody's taste in movies can be so different. I didn't think it was horrible. Not the best heist movie made but I didn't feel the need to fastforward at all. You might want to rent it to check it out.
post #1102 of 3096 Old 03-27-2010, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The Men Who Stare at Goats (TrueHD 5.1) - Tier 1

Clear dialogue, generally dialogue driven but it does have some action that utilizes surrounds. Some directionality. Surrounds also used for music and ambience. LFE should have been better but effects sound natural. I thought the movie was going to be funnier than it was.

To Live and Die in L.A. (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 3

Dialogue is clear. The sound in general is very coarse. No LFE or bass, all treble and midrange. Unnatural sounding effects. I would have rated this tier 4 but it does utilize surrounds with very occasional directionality, especially among the fronts but sometimes also with the surrounds. Definitely shows its age.
post #1103 of 3096 Old 03-28-2010, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Boogie Nights (TrueHD 5.1) - Tier 1

Clear dialogue. In the beginning of the movie the dialogue has that tinney sound of an older movie. As the movie progresses it improves to a more full natural sound. I don't know if this is artistic intent or not. The music sounds good throughout with use of surrounds. No significant LFE in the music.
post #1104 of 3096 Old 03-28-2010, 09:57 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

When I was watching this I noticed a lot of the dialog kind of floated out to the fronts and wasn't always locked in the center channel. This might be why you felt the center was a bit weak, but I didn't have a problem with it. Its just a little different than what I am used to. Take another listen, if you can...you will notice that when the characters are towards the left or right edge of the screen, their voice seems to come out about half and half instead of dead center.

Toy Story 2 (DTS-MA), Reference

Great track with nothing to criticize on any significant level at all. LFE, surrounds, intelligible dialog, great fidelity...it's all there.

To comment on the post above, there's indeed extremely little tolerance for off-center dialog in this mix. The screen seems to be divided into thirds, with the dialog not varying at all from the corresponding location of whoever is speaking. In my opinion, this shows a nice level of care and detail went into it.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #1105 of 3096 Old 03-28-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Everybody's taste in movies can be so different. I didn't think it was horrible. Not the best heist movie made but I didn't feel the need to fastforward at all. You might want to rent it to check it out.

Agree with Scubawoman. It wasn't a great movie by anyone's standards but I didn't feel like I wasted 1.5 hours of my life watching it. Plus it did have excellent PQ/AQ.

Armored (DTS-HD MA) Tier 0
post #1106 of 3096 Old 03-28-2010, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince...Dolby TrueHD....Reference

What a great sounding BD. If you are a fan of excellent surround usage, this movie is for you, from discrete sounds to pans across all rear speakers, this movie has both. Clear dialogue and good LFE when called on as well, this kept a smile on my face throughout
post #1107 of 3096 Old 03-28-2010, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The Blind Side (DTS-HD MA) Tier 1

Exceeded expectations. I considered a Tier 0 placement but in the end, it lacked any showcase pieces that other Tier 0 movies have. But TBS has a very consistent track where dialogue never wavers, LFE support is natural and pans are seamless. The track just had a great energy to it.
post #1108 of 3096 Old 03-28-2010, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Funny People (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 2

Clear dialogue, dialogue driven with sound directed from the front. Surrounds for ambience and music. LFE not a factor.
post #1109 of 3096 Old 03-28-2010, 04:59 PM

How does one go about buying the DTS-HD MA version of "We were Soliders" on Bluray. The OP says it is an import...Thanks
post #1110 of 3096 Old 03-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

FIGHT CLUB: REFERENCE

Wow, is the first word that comes to mind. Perfect in Dialogue, incredible sense of immersion in this film. In fact, i'll say it's probably one of the best non-action surround mixes you'll hear.

Amazing!!
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Master And Commander The Far Side Of The World Blu Ray , Casino Royale Blu Ray , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , How To Train Your Dragon , Iron Man 2 Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur , Kung Fu Panda Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , A Bugs Life Blu Ray , Monsters Inc Blu Ray , Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu Ray , Toy Story Trilogy Blu Ray 3d , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , The Conjuring Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray Dvd Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray 3d Combo Pack , Oblivion Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Kill Bill Volume 1 Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Rises Limited Edition Bat Cowl Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Last St
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page