post #1351 of 3096 Old 05-17-2010, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Bryan,

Michael Jackson's This Is It features DTS-HD MA, not Dolby TrueHD 5.1.

Thanks for catching that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 3096 Old 05-17-2010, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

This movie left an impression on me when I 1st saw it. I could relate to love of the ocean, just not at the extreme that Jacques did. Jacques having a picture of dolphins in his wallet struck me. I was very happy with the video quality. The colors were bright. Good clarity. The water/underwater sequences were also clear. I didn't notice any DNR, no artifacts. There were a few instances where the sunlight reflected off the lens. It's been a while since I've seen it on dvd and I've seen it more than just a few times. I also bought Atlantis at the same time so total including shipping from Amazon U.K. was $15/blu-ray. A bargain in my book. I'm glad I got it.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!

The BD should be noticeably better than the DVD. The DVD was transferred from a used film reel, complete with cigarette burn markers and everything!
post #1353 of 3096 Old 05-19-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
An Education (DTS-HD MA) Tier 3

The Messenger (DTS-HD MA) Tier 3

Pretty much the same comments for both. Technically not anything wrong with either track. Dialogue was rendered perfectly. Music and score sounded beautiful. A little ambiance in the surrounds from time to time.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (DTS-HD MA) Tier 0

Got around to watching this on Blu for the first time and it's a real aggressive track. Maybe in the early days of the format, I could see a reference rating but when I compare it against some of the other newer reference titles, it falls a little short in overall sound envelopment. Sounds a little too overly processed. But it certainly had every speaker working.

Children of Men (DTS-HD MA) Tier 0

I think this was my fourth viewing of this marvelous film. I love it and I love the sound design. Very natural. I could just feel the carnage from the sound alone.
post #1354 of 3096 Old 05-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
THE HURT LOCKER: TIER 0

Very satisfying.

What i'd describe is a natural soundtrack. While I expected a bit more ambience, the track doesn't disappoint in clarity and the amount of panning during the war sequences.
post #1355 of 3096 Old 05-19-2010, 08:18 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post

THE HURT ZONE: TIER 0

Did you mean "The Hurt Locker"?

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #1356 of 3096 Old 05-19-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I was wondering what the hell "The Hurt Zone" was
post #1357 of 3096 Old 05-20-2010, 04:39 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Armageddon (DTS-MA), Tier 1

Not a bad track, but didn't quite sound like I wanted it to. Fidelity was lacking, and the LFE left the mustard uncut. Was expecting more on pretty much every front but, like I said, it's not bad. It's just a shame since the sound design in this movie is so good...the potential for a great track was there. Kind of reminded me of 2012 with regards to most everything, except the LFE in Armegeddon (while lacking somewhat in output) was better implemented. The LFE in 2012 just sounded "wrong", while Armageddon's sounds fine, just low in volume. Good surround use and clear dialog. No issues there. The track also seems to be recorded a bit hotter than most.

Stephen.

post #1358 of 3096 Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oops... Big Mistake!!
post #1359 of 3096 Old 05-21-2010, 07:37 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post

Oops... Big Mistake!!

Don't feel bad...when I first typed in my review I wrote "The Meat Locker".

Stephen.

post #1360 of 3096 Old 05-22-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Sherlock Holmes....DTS-MA......Reference

I agree with what has been said about this one, from excellent use of the surrounds (right from the first scene) to great LFE and clear dialogue.

Very good movie as well
post #1361 of 3096 Old 05-22-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Funny, because this is, by far, my biggest gripe with this otherwise very good (but not fantastic) sound mix.

The ADR was bad enough in a few scenes that I immediately took notice of it, and it was bad enough to actually take me out of the movie for those few seconds.

I've only seen the film once, but the scene that stuck out most to me was with Michelle Rodriquez as she was walking through the "hangar", she is shown from a distance, with lots of background noises, yet her voice is very crystal clear and loud, making it sound like she is right on top of you. It was very unnatural, and screamed of ADR.

I do well at picking that sort of thing out most of the time, and that scene with Michelle in the hangar is the only one that definitely gave me that "out of place" feel. The rest of the movie seems to have been nailed dead on.

I think there is one other scene where Jake is in Avatar form speaking where it might have seemed a little out of place, but after noticing it from my first viewing I havn't noticed it on my 2nd, 3rd, or 4th viewings.

Other than those, Avatar is pure reference stuff with the exception of the few moments where the bass could have hit a little harder. With that said, considering most people lack the equipment to take advantage of a harder hitting track in the sub 40Hz area, and also considering the fact that overall the audio track is basically flawless, Avatar is overall a reference quality experience.

Avatar is immersive-as-hell, period. If you don't get sucked into the aural experience of the movie, your sound system either sucks or isn't setup correctly.

The THX outro is certainly not lacking in LFE though haha. In fact it went ahead and blew a wonky fuse that I had been neglecting to replace. I wonder how many HTIB systems that thing is going to kill?

Somebody is gonna hear it at whatever volume they were watching Avatar at, decide it sounds cool, crank their system, and all they're gonna hear is snap-crackle-pop lol.
post #1362 of 3096 Old 05-22-2010, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Avatar just lacked dynamic range in the LFE department which dulled down the entire experience for me. VQ was some of the best I have seen though.
post #1363 of 3096 Old 05-23-2010, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

We Were Soldiers (U.K. release) (DTS-MA 5.1) - Reference

From reading the older audio thread I understand the volume on the dialogue was lower to try and depict conditions the soldiers encountered. Even though the dialogue was difficult to hear at times during the almost constant action you really don't miss anything as the action does speak for itself. Dialogue was otherwise clear. There is constant use of surrounds with constant directionality, very very impressive. Helicopter sounds, airplane, explosions, bullets, the directionality just doesn't stop. As far as I can recall even from other reference movies We Were Soldiers has the most directionality, even beating Sherlock Holmes in this dept. LFE was appropriate. Very realistic sounding effects. Discrete sounds.

Great mix FilmMixer. Very good movie. And now on to some lighter viewing and then Lost.
post #1364 of 3096 Old 05-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

I kept debating which tier to put this in. This is in fact one of the clearest soundtracks i've heard. Very detailed with lots of surround activity. When you are on the space transport, you hear it, when you are on Pandora, you hear it. When you are having dialogue, you hear it cleanly. Even action combined with dialogue is very clear. A very natural sounding track.

That is where the problem is. While a natural soundingtrack like BOURNE ULTIMATUM is great for that film, for AVATAR, it comes off as a bit underwhelming. There were several moments where I was expecting some grand LFE whoosh and it didn't come. I found that a bit perplexed, especially given the amount of action that was put into the film.

It's not a top-tiered reference track, but it's closer to TIER 0 than i'd like it to be.
post #1365 of 3096 Old 05-23-2010, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Legion DTS HD-MA Tier 1

You know for a genre film it had some decent surround use and the bass hit decent consistently through out the flic. Dialogue was easy to follow and for a b type movie I enjoyed the audio. It's not a Terminator Salvation or StarTrek but for it's budget there was enough to enjoy the audio for the movie and for my setup.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #1366 of 3096 Old 05-24-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Groundhog Day (TrueHD 5.1) - Tier 2

The volume is higher than in most blu-rays so had to turn it down about 4dB compared to most. Dialogue is clear. Surround use for ambience, music, effects. Little to no LFE.
post #1367 of 3096 Old 05-24-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Do you know if this was region free? I couldn't find anything indicating it on the Amazon UK website.

This is one of my favorite mixes and have been waiting for a DTS-MA release in the US. Last time I checked, there was only an Australian version that was region locked. Thanks in advance.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #1368 of 3096 Old 05-24-2010, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

Do you know if this was region free? I couldn't find anything indicating it on the Amazon UK website.

This is one of my favorite mixes and have been waiting for a DTS-MA release in the US. Last time I checked, there was only an Australian version that was region locked. Thanks in advance.

Yes it is region-free. When I post tier placements (for foreign releases) if a title isn't region-free I will put what region it is locked to.
post #1369 of 3096 Old 05-25-2010, 05:55 PM

Daybreakers DTS-HD MA 5.1 -- Tier 0

Hard to find a final spot for this one, but it had excellent surround directionality and front soundstage use. Some really fast pans from darts (some future weapons) sounded extremely accurate despite their incredible speed across the room. A vampire destroyed by a silver stake explodes and as the camera cuts to another view, pieces of him can still be heard falling around the room, a cool departure from the gory visuals throughout. Music and environmental effects such as rain sounded appropriately loud throughout the fronts and surrounds. LFE was intense in some areas, but I can't offer a full judgment here as I left my sub turned off (late night). Only complaint with this one was the low dialog in some scenes, causing my wife to ride the volume control a few times. Aside from that, I wouldn't hesitate to use a few scenes as sound demo material.

Infected with the AVS-induced Home Theater Bug.
post #1370 of 3096 Old 05-29-2010, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterchad View Post

Daybreakers DTS-HD MA 5.1 -- Tier 0

I haven't watched it yet but just received Daybreakers from Blockbuster and it is DTS-MA 7.1.
post #1371 of 3096 Old 05-29-2010, 10:06 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Reign of Fire (PCM), Tier 0

Wow. Wasn't expecting this movie to sound so good. Clear dialog, dynamic, and excellent surround use. If the LFE had been more consistent this would be just a hair below the reference titles for me.

I know it's an older and not well thought of film, but I've only recently seen it for the first time, and while I didn't think much of it, it eventually grew on me to the point of trying the BD out. Impressive sound (and video for such a dark movie) in my opinion.

Stephen.

post #1372 of 3096 Old 05-29-2010, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:

From reading the older audio thread I understand the volume on the dialogue was lower to try and depict conditions the soldiers encountered. Even though the dialogue was difficult to hear at times during the almost constant action you really don't miss anything as the action does speak for itself. Dialogue was otherwise clear. There is constant use of surrounds with constant directionality, very very impressive. Helicopter sounds, airplane, explosions, bullets, the directionality just doesn't stop. As far as I can recall even from other reference movies We Were Soldiers has the most directionality, even beating Sherlock Holmes in this dept. LFE was appropriate. Very realistic sounding effects. Discrete sounds.

Great mix FilmMixer. Very good movie. And now on to some lighter viewing and then Lost.

Thank you.... it was a lot of work (which was compounded by the change in all our lives immediately following 9/11 (the first day of our temp mix for the first audience preview was on 9/11, which was obviously cancelled..)

I mixed the film with Michael Keller, who has since done a ton of great work.... he is a great fx mixer...
post #1373 of 3096 Old 05-30-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

Anyone purchasing the UK version should be aware of a few shortcomings (not related to the audio) of this particular Blu-ray as noted by Gary Nash on the Amazon UK website:

Quote:

Although the UK version has improved video & audio compared to the USA release, it has several problems:

1. Major problem with the Opening Credits having been completey omitted! The montage of scenes is still there but the film title, cast & crew credits are not overlayed as per the original DVD.

2. Scene captions are also missing - these normally appear as overlays to identify the location, date and time that an event or battle is taking place (I'm not talking about the captions that appear when you fire up the scene selection menu, but the overlayed text that should display as the film progresses). This is also evident in the opening scene when the first line of the narrator's comments appear as typewritten font across the screen, then disappear as if blown away like sand.

3. Special feature documentary plays inside a window approx one-quarter the size of the available screen, rather than filling the entire screen as per the DVD release.

4. Missing the 10 deleted scenes and collection of trailers & TV spots from the DVD (and US Blu-ray).

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #1374 of 3096 Old 05-30-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Reign of Fire (PCM), Tier 0

Wow. Wasn't expecting this movie to sound so good. Clear dialog, dynamic, and excellent surround use. If the LFE had been more consistent this would be just a hair below the reference titles for me.

I know it's an older and not well thought of film, but I've only recently seen it for the first time, and while I didn't think much of it, it eventually grew on me to the point of trying the BD out. Impressive sound (and video for such a dark movie) in my opinion.

I agree with this as well. I have watched it 3 time on Blu, and it never disappoints!

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #1375 of 3096 Old 05-30-2010, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Leap Year (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 2

Dialogue is a little difficult to understand at times but this is due to dialect and not audio quality. One sequence with good LFE involving an airplane in the beginning of the movie. Some really clear crisp effects (rain, ocean waves). Surround use on 3 or 4 occasions. Generally dialogue driven.
post #1376 of 3096 Old 05-30-2010, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

The Road (DTS-HD MA) Tier 1

This excerpt from Martin Liebman's Blu-ray.com review "...the sound design often creates an absence of information to further reinforce the death and destruction that has left but a shell of a world once full of sound and life." essentially sums up how I felt about the design of this track. It fit the film perfectly.
post #1377 of 3096 Old 05-30-2010, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Fame - 1980 (U.K. release, region-free) (TrueHD 5.1) - Tier 3

Dialogue is clear with most sound coming from the center channel. It has that older movie type of sound but not tinny or harsh. The left and right fronts come alive with the music. Little surround use, just occasionally in a few music sequences. This was the most disappointing as it would have made it so much better. No LFE.

Daybreakers (DTS-MA 7.1) - Tier 0

Overall sound level was quite loud so had to listen to it -3dB lower than usual. Even then at times some of the effects were quite loud. Dialogue was clear. Surround use throughout with loads of directionality. Several effects came out of nowhere causing a little startle. LFE was good, rumbling bass on a few occasions. Effects were natural sounding. Some discrete sounds.
post #1378 of 3096 Old 05-31-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:

I haven't watched it yet but just received Daybreakers from Blockbuster and it is DTS-MA 7.1.

I only have a 5.1 system so I was just listing it that way because even if a track is 7.1 it is still downmixed into 5 channels. I was under the impression that we should put how we listened to the track as opposed to the actual track information.

Infected with the AVS-induced Home Theater Bug.
post #1379 of 3096 Old 05-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterchad View Post

I only have a 5.1 system so I was just listing it that way because even if a track is 7.1 it is still downmixed into 5 channels. I was under the impression that we should put how we listened to the track as opposed to the actual track information.

I think that may cause some confusion. Maybe put the actual disc encoded channel number in the title, then in the first line of the review just state that you listened to it in 5.1?
post #1380 of 3096 Old 05-31-2010, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujay View Post

I think that may cause some confusion. Maybe put the actual disc encoded channel number in the title, then in the first line of the review just state that you listened to it in 5.1?

I agree with this.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Master And Commander The Far Side Of The World Blu Ray , Casino Royale Blu Ray , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , How To Train Your Dragon , Iron Man 2 Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur , Kung Fu Panda Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , A Bugs Life Blu Ray , Monsters Inc Blu Ray , Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu Ray , Toy Story Trilogy Blu Ray 3d , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , The Conjuring Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray Dvd Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray 3d Combo Pack , Oblivion Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Kill Bill Volume 1 Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Rises Limited Edition Bat Cowl Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Last St
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page