Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

My 2D version is only Dolby TrueHD 5.1, envy.....

Really? Interesting. Maybe Dreamworks is overcompensating on HTTYD since the 3d version of Monsters vs Aliens only got a lossy DD track

Just throw on some PLIIx and it will be just as good as the 7.1 track for all practical purposes

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 3096 Old 01-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World (DTS-HD-MA) REFERENCE

This track/movie came right out of left field for me. I had read that the audio was good, but I was blown away! One of the best overall tracks of 2010 (right near HTTYD overall IMO).............LFE was a standout when called upon for the entire film with the high point being probably the band battle with the twins...........this entire scene was just pure demo material.......amazing! Lots of great/demo caliber scenes throughout though in this one and so much ear candy with the intricate/layered sound design of the retro game sounds, music, etc.......amazing sound work and after I watched, I read that these guys did the Hot Fuzz audio and it all made sense at that point Surround, dynamics, dialog all top notch.......No complaints with this one needless to say and an easy reference IMO.

The Last Air Bender (DTS-HD-MA) REFERENCE

I watched Air Bender before Scott Pilgrim and was amazed with this one as well...............I dont know what it has been with this week, but I seem to be hitting a lot of the great 2010 audio tracks in the same week Again, great all around track with LFE being a standout. Some movies/tracks you get the feeling that it is all leading up to one big moment at the end and holy **** was that the case with this one! I wont spoil it for those who have not seen this, but there is a scene right near the end that is honestly one of the most amazing LFE moments I have ever experienced in my HT! Remotes falling off the couch, a friend of mine upstairs had a look of horror on her face when I walked up and she asked "WTF happened down there?" it was nuts..........I did not care for the actual film so I wont be buying this one, but if I owned this movie, this would be a scene I would turn to to show off my low end if I was looking for something just a few minutes in length. the rest of the track was fantastic as well with the entire sound stage getting a great/convincing workout.

My only very small complaint was that dialog was a bit thin sounding at times for whatever reason.........not enough to knock it down though all things considered.

I also watched Inception 2 times so far, but want to watch again before placing a vote............not a runaway reference track IMO, but might end up there. I thought both of the above tracks as well as HTTYD were better no doubt.

post #1983 of 3096 Old 01-14-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Scott Pilgrim Vs The World (DTS-HD-MA) REFERENCE

I read that these guys did the Hot Fuzz audio and it all made sense at that point

The Last Air Bender (DTS-HD-MA) REFERENCE

there is a scene right near the end that is honestly one of the most amazing LFE moments I have ever experienced in my HT! Remotes falling off the couch, a friend of mine upstairs had a look of horror on her face when I walked up and she asked "WTF happened down there?" it was nuts..........I did not care for the actual film so I wont be buying this one, but if I owned this movie, this would be a scene I would turn to to show off my low end if I was looking for something just a few minutes in length. the rest of the track was fantastic as well with the entire sound stage getting a great/convincing workout.
+1
I did not know Hot Fuzz and Pilgrim had the same audio team. That really makes sense now.

Airbender is a great demo disc. I do the opening sphere emergence scene. Sounds ALOT like the pod emergence scene in WOTW's. Then I do the Spirit world scene with the dragon. Really fun, eery surround effect. Then finish off with the big ending - punishing the innocent folks that were just curious for a quick demo of the theater...
A little embarassing to own the disc that has a 7% Rotten Tomatoes score but is worth it for me.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #1984 of 3096 Old 01-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
+1
I did not know Hot Fuzz and Pilgrim had the same audio team. That really makes sense now.

Airbender is a great demo disc. I do the opening sphere emergence scene. Sounds ALOT like the pod emergence scene in WOTW's. Then I do the Spirit world scene with the dragon. Really fun, eery surround effect. Then finish off with the big ending - punishing the innocent folks that were just curious for a quick demo of the theater...
A little embarassing to own the disc that has a 7% Rotten Tomatoes score but is worth it for me.

Airbender would be worth it just for a demo disc after what I experienced last night That sounds like a great sequence of demo scenes ending with the big one at the end! Your guests are probably like "WTH just happened?"

post #1985 of 3096 Old 01-14-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Airbender would be worth it just for a demo disc after what I experienced last night That sounds like a great sequence of demo scenes ending with the big one at the end! Your guests are probably like "WTH just happened?"
Yeah it is kind of funny. That is a gripping ending and folks that are not familiar with a good surround setup and bass are definately "Wow" to those scenes. But that's why we give demos...

I thought dialogue was a little tinny too. Made the young actors sound even younger - and less like good actors...

post #1986 of 3096 Old 01-14-2011, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The Pacific (DTS HD MA) Tier 1

Wow after all the glowing reviews I was expecting quiet a bit, and I got maybe better then average at best. Of course if I was rating this by disc or even by episodes, I would get quiet a "roller coaster ride" of rating here, but overall Tier 1 is fair from my POV. Let's start with the reason I didn't rate this higher. This might surprise some, but it was mainly for the bass and dynamics. Bass was ok actually if not very deep and wasn't very loud either. Other then the 10 minutes of Iwo Jima scene with Basoline at the end of Ep.8. nothing was giving any serious work out for my subs or or the rest of the gear. Guns while can be distinguished by their sound all sounded like pop guns because of the lack of bass, no visceral effects. Artillery fire sounded better when it was far away then when it was on screen, one can clearly hear the dynamic compression on those, the fact that this was made for TV was all too obvious to me. Ok well that aside there was plenty of good things here. Surround usage when it was present mostly on action or some outdoor scenes, was very good with nice detail with excellent balance all around. Dialog was first rate for about 99.9% of the time, which is not bad for 9hr+ presentation, and for the 1/10th of a percent I only heard some weird buzzing around the words, probably from the location recording that was used.Music was recorded with finesse as well. Overall this is a nice soundtrack, but I can't think of a single scene I would use as a demo material, because there are just better ones out there in these type of movies. Still worth the experience of it no doubt.

The Hun
post #1987 of 3096 Old 01-15-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
The Expendibles.....DTS-MA 7.1......Tier 1

This track seemed a bit inconsistent with me, some parts of the movie, everything sounded perfect, while others were a letdown. Foe example, I I expected a little more from some of the guns as far as bass goes. The gun that Terry Crews used at the end was a treat though. The surrounds used all 7 speakers well, and with the exception of Stallone's voice, the dialogue was mostly fine.
post #1988 of 3096 Old 01-15-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Piranha Tier 1*

For a cheesy creature feature this had an enjoyable track. The underwater scenes had some real nice, and surprising, bass. Enough effects to get all the channels going. Kind of a surprise to me the track was so good.

post #1989 of 3096 Old 01-16-2011, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyper99 View Post

Resident Evil Afterlife (DTS-HD-MA) tier 0

Just watched this movie yesterday and found the audio to be a bit lacking to be considered for refrence .Dialogue sounded clear,bass was nice and rumbly,surrounds were used nicely but I felt it fell short of refrence.

Dvd digest gave it 99/100 and I thought it was better than Inception which is on the reference list.
post #1990 of 3096 Old 01-16-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Dvd digest gave it 99/100 and I thought it was better than Inception which is on the reference list.

Not everybody who voted consider Inception as reference, nor any of the Tier lists are definitive by any means.

The Hun
post #1991 of 3096 Old 01-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Guess I will change my vote to reference in light of the dvd digest score REA was a great track, but 99/100 it was not (IMO of course).

Inception I have watched 2 times now and I certainly dont find it to be a run-away reference track (again though, just my opinion).

post #1992 of 3096 Old 01-16-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

The Last Airbender (DTS HD MA) Reference

Yep, this is a ref title no doubt. Lots of examples of great surround usage, bass, dynamics, and sound design. It was also executed flawlessly IMO. I didn't feel that the dialog was compromised at any level, it sounded very natural from all actors, an unfortunate rarity these days. I also find the movie quiet watchable if not good or something I wanna own, however I've seen far worse and if you're an audio guy like most of us in this thread, it's worth a rental for sure.

The Hun
post #1993 of 3096 Old 01-16-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Piranha Tier 1*

For a cheesy creature feature this had an enjoyable track. The underwater scenes had some real nice, and surprising, bass. Enough effects to get all the channels going. Kind of a surprise to me the track was so good.

Is that the old Roger Corman spectacle?

The Hun
post #1994 of 3096 Old 01-16-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Is that the old Roger Corman spectacle?

The "remake" from 2010

post #1995 of 3096 Old 01-16-2011, 04:01 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

Guess I will change my vote to reference in light of the dvd digest score

Hehe...I got a good laugh out of that one.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #1996 of 3096 Old 01-16-2011, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure if it's been noted in the past but I think many of the crappy box office duds has really good audio to make up for it's shortcomings. Perfect example was Speed 2 cruise control was reference back then and continues with TLAB and piranha.
post #1997 of 3096 Old 01-17-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure if it's been noted in the past but I think many of the crappy box office duds has really good audio to make up for it's shortcomings. Perfect example was Speed 2 cruise control was reference back then and continues with TLAB and piranha.

Box office dud? TLAB was the 11th highest grossing, live action, flic of 2010.

post #1998 of 3096 Old 01-17-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Salt DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Tier 1

This was just ok for me. Not sure if I am getting jaded or spoiled but everything was just "nice", Not as dynamic as I would have expected for this - or have seen from other actioneers lately. WANTED was much better than this. And what's with Angolina Jolie being SOO skinny? Her wrists and hands reminded me of my Grandma.

post #1999 of 3096 Old 01-17-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:

And what's with Angolina Jolie being SOO skinny? Her wrists and hands reminded me of my Grandma.

You were looking at her wrists and hands? Sure you were.....
post #2000 of 3096 Old 01-17-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

And what's with Angolina Jolie being SOO skinny? Her wrists and hands reminded me of my Grandma.

She looked the same way in her last movie as well.
post #2001 of 3096 Old 01-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post
She looked the same way in her last movie as well.
Quote:

Hard not to notice how thin she is...........I definitely noticed this in her last few films (as Rob mentioned). I even made a comment to a friend who was watching with me how frail she is looking these days. My memory might be off, but I remember her looking more "healthy" in films such as Tomb Raider which were quite a few years ago though.

post #2002 of 3096 Old 01-17-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Box office dud? TLAB was the 11th highest grossing, live action, flic of 2010.
Ok, well I meant that it bombed with reviews and movie goers with bad word of mouth as in razzies or top ten worst film of 2010. Not too ppl liked it.
post #2003 of 3096 Old 01-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfe man View Post
I forget to mention it was r2 scandinavian studio canal se dvd, but i wonder did they fix it to blu-ray. My dvd player is broken so i cant re-check the scene, but i think the scene was where sly and janine turner hangs on rope and try get to safe to the cliff and then boom and rocks fly. That explosion have lots of distortion/clipping.
bumb. anyone?
post #2004 of 3096 Old 01-17-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Hunting and Titan A.E. I think both were under performing in BO sales, but sure had a helluva soundtracks, but I doubt it had any correlation with one another. The original Speed had a good soundtrack and it was the hottest movie that summer.

The Hun
post #2005 of 3096 Old 01-17-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hard not to notice how thin she is...........I definitely noticed this in her last few films (as Rob mentioned). I even made a comment to a friend who was watching with me how frail she is looking these days. My memory might be off, but I remember her looking more "healthy" in films such as Tomb Raider which were quite a few years ago though.
Yeah she looked "wholesome" back then, and her face was much rounder, like her daddy's. She also packed quiet a bazookas, she seemed to lost some of that too, much like Jennifer Connelly did.
Shame!

The Hun
post #2006 of 3096 Old 01-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Yeah she looked "wholesome" back then, and her face was much rounder, like her daddy's. She also packed quiet a bazookas, she seemed to lost some of that too, much like Jennifer Connelly did.
Shame!

YES.........exactly..............where did the "fun bags" go?

Dont get me wrong though..........I sure wouldnt say NO!

post #2007 of 3096 Old 01-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
The Last Airbender---(DTS-HD MA)---Reference
How to Train Your Dragon---(Dolby TrueHD)---Tier 0
Inception---(DTS-HD MA)---Tier 0
The Thin Red Line---(DTS-HD MA)---Tier 0
Scott Pilgrim Vs The World (DTS-HD MA)---Tier 0
Resident Evil Afterlife---(DTS-HD MA)---Tier 0
The Sorcerer's Apprentice---(DTS-HD MA)---Tier 0
Tron Legacy---(Cheap Theater Audio System)---Reference

No, I'm not easily impressed lol. I always compare tracks to my personal favs...Cloverfield, U-571, and Hellboy 2. If they don't meet those expectations then they are not reference to my ears.
post #2008 of 3096 Old 01-18-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Inception - Tier0
The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Reference
The Last Airbender - Reference

Airbender story is worst (Tier4??). If it wasn't the audio track, I will be turning it off in the middle.
post #2009 of 3096 Old 01-18-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

See I know my ears wasn't deceiving me. Inception is no way reference. I think DVd verdict is pretty dead on:

How to Train your dragon: 98/100
Resident Evil AFterlfie: 97/100
TF Revenge of the Fallen: 100/100
Inception: 90/100
Terminator Salvation: 99/100
The Last Airbender: 100/100 (Wow, crappy movie or not must test it out)
post #2010 of 3096 Old 01-18-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

See I know my ears wasn't deceiving me. Inception is no way reference. I think DVd verdict is pretty dead on:

How to Train your dragon: 98/100
Resident Evil AFterlfie: 97/100
TF Revenge of the Fallen: 100/100
Inception: 90/100
Terminator Salvation: 99/100
The Last Airbender: 100/100 (Wow, crappy movie or not must test it out)

All good movies to revisit once you have the Hsu DD system up and running.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Master And Commander The Far Side Of The World Blu Ray , Casino Royale Blu Ray , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , How To Train Your Dragon , Iron Man 2 Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur , Kung Fu Panda Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , A Bugs Life Blu Ray , Monsters Inc Blu Ray , Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu Ray , Toy Story Trilogy Blu Ray 3d , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , The Conjuring Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray Dvd Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray 3d Combo Pack , Oblivion Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Kill Bill Volume 1 Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Rises Limited Edition Bat Cowl Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Last St
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page