post #181 of 3112 Old 11-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 503
The Taking of Pelham 123 (DTS-MA) tier 1

Nothing to complain about with this track as it is tech solid. Dialog driven film for the most part which always comes through loud and clear. Nothing demo worthy in this one, but a solid track and does its job considering the material.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3112 Old 11-16-2009, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Up (DTS-HD MA) - Tier 0
Great sounding movie but after watching Monster Inc I'd have to drop this down to tier 0. Like others have posted it had good use of surrounds and the bass was mostly used for when the house hit something. Dialog was very clear too.

Monster Inc (DTS-HD MA) - Reference
Reference mix too me. I've had Monster's Inc on SD for since it first cam out and it has always been great mix, but the lossless audio is just perfect. You could always hear the sounds of the factory, but never this clearly. Lots of ambiance throughout the movie that really has that hollow factory feeling of a big building that echos. There's off camera sounds everywhere and the bass is spot on.

G.I. Joe The Rise Of Cobra (DTS-HD MA) - Tier 1
This one was OK, and some of th eaction scenes had really good bass, but my main gripe is the lack of discrete souround use. Even the action scenes sounded good, but not great with the surounds. There are times when a helecopter or plane pans from bach to front, but there there are other times when a similar scene doesn't pan at all. To me it's just a tier 1 movie

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #183 of 3112 Old 11-16-2009, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
State of Play (DTS-HD MA 5.1) - Tier 0

I've had this one in my library for quite a while but never got around to enjoying it in my HT. Excellent atmospheric effects, appropriate use of space, many seamless front-to-back and side-to-side panning effects, great score bleed into the surrounds, and bass effects that continually rattled the pictures in my room. Dialogue was mixed a tad low, but overall this is an excellent mix for a top-notch dramatic thriller.
post #184 of 3112 Old 11-16-2009, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra(DTS-MA) - Tier 0
Super active surrounds, they're on for nearly the entire runtime, everything goes from side to side, back to front...then back again, a couple of times the sound did get a little muddled though(it was probably[much] less than a minute total). Bass is ok, there are a few good deep pulses...but only a few.

Some differences from the theatrical experience that I remember, the intro scene sounded like Iron Man in theaters, it seemed to be lacking in the mids quite a bit for some reason. The guns in the training sequence sound light, as they did in theaters. The last 2 thirds sound more like the theatrical version, but everything seems to be lacking the sonic weight it had in theaters. I distinctly remember the two helicopters in the beginning sounded very realistic when they first followed the convoy. Also I think the little sci-fi sounds were more exaggerated in theaters, they are present here, but don't bring as much attention. All of the gunshots seem to have been "lightened" a little bit, I am specifically referring to the intro and the East Africa scene.

Overall though I'm satisfied, but I was expecting more.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #185 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 12:50 AM

Liked: 18
Anybody have any thoughts about Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's.

I thought it was amazing but don't trust my judgment enough to place in the groupings
post #186 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpat View Post

Anybody have any thoughts about Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's.

I thought it was amazing but don't trust my judgment enough to place in the groupings

Write a review and place a vote No reason not to trust your ears.

I own this title and it sounds excellent no doubt about it (I had a few minor complaints as I remember, but they were minor). I would vote tier 0 in this thread (not sure If I wrote a review or not), but I bet quite a few would vote reference as it seems many people love the audio on this one. Here is a thread about it......

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...+ronnie+scotts

post #187 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 10:23 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Well, the day if finally here. Star Trek will be watched tonight. Although, since we're having friends over and will most likely be partaking in generous amounts of Romulan ale, I'm not sure it'll be a good time to listen to it critically.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #188 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Well, the day if finally here. Star Trek will be watched tonight. Although, since we're having friends over and will most likely be partaking in generous amounts of Romulan ale, I'm not sure it'll be a good time to listen to it critically.

I'm right there with ya! Well, not literally, but....you know.
Patiently waiting for "Brown" to drive up and drop it off. Then its down to my theater to drool....
post #189 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

+2.......I just blind bought this from BB Also bought Fight Club which I cant wait to hear!!

post #190 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

+2.......I just blind bought this from BB

Ditto, only from Amazon, I also pre ordered Terminator: Salvation, both are blind buys, something I almost never do anymore.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #191 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just picked it up from BB as well. From what I recall from the theater, this should be the best sounding BR of the year. You blind buyers should not be disappointed. Can't wait to fire it up.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #192 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

I just picked it up from BB as well. From what I recall from the theater, this should be the best sounding BR of the year. You blind buyers should not be disappointed. Can't wait to fire it up.

Star Trek was good, but I wouldn't say the soundtrack was the best this year or even reference. Dolby TruHdand it seemed to gave that lower than "normal" volume issue and I had to crank up the volume several db's more than I normally would. I an going to watch it again tonight or tomorrow.
post #193 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

Star Trek was good, but I wouldn't say the soundtrack was the best this year or even reference. Dolby TruHdand it seemed to gave that lower than "normal" volume issue and I had to crank up the volume several db's more than I normally would. I an going to watch it again tonight or tomorrow.

Wow. That's extremely disappointing. It was excellent in the theater, and after seeing it I thought it would be 'the disc' of the year. This is a movie I could watch multiple times as opposed to TF2.

I don't have any problems with adjusting the volume, or even that it's a TrueHD soundtrack, but if it's not reference, then I'm going to be let down.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #194 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow. That's extremely disappointing. It was excellent in the theater, and after seeing it I thought it would be 'the disc' of the year. This is a movie I could watch multiple times as opposed to TF2.

I don't have any problems with adjusting the volume, or even that it's a TrueHD soundtrack, but if it's not reference, then I'm going to be let down.

Don't get me wrong, it maybe reference or at the very least tier 1. It it just from all the hype I guess I was expecting more. I need to rewatch again and I also am going to rerun the audyssey setup on my receiver.
post #195 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

I remember being a bit disappointed in the IMAX mix when I saw it this past May, but the overwhelmingly positive critical response the BD mix has received, together with the 2-3 Reference votes it has received in this thread so far, have me hoping for the best. I hope to get to fire it up tonight as well!
post #196 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I just read some of the reviews in this thread recommending reference. Two gave it extreme praise calling it the best of the year and flawless, but I think this review is more accurate and what I heard.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post17453783

"Detail was solid but not up there with the very best reference material."
post #197 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow. That's extremely disappointing. It was excellent in the theater, and after seeing it I thought it would be 'the disc' of the year.

I think most are going to give that to Terminator Salv. its just like IH. Personally I have extremely high hopes for D9 - talk about detail.

Studio quality tier
post #198 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

The first 12 minutes of Star Trek (right up until the title appears) is the most exhilarating sequence I've seen in a movie in quite some time. Demo worthy for sure.
post #199 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 03:47 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Well, I'm watching bits and pieces of it before everyone gets here so I can get the volume levels and sub set up to my liking, and I must say that I'm extremely pleased with it.

Yes, it is recorded lower than other soundtracks. I'd say a good 8db or so. However, once turned up to make up for that.......nice. Very, very, nice. I'm not disappointed in least, but I haven't watched the whole thing yet. What I have heard so far, though, is an excellent and balanced (my favorite type) soundtrack.

P.S. I'm about to pour my first Romulan ale of the evening.

EDIT: I may run to Best Buy to pick up another BD player. I was supposed to get one after work, but chickened out. Now that I'm home and have been running the PS3 for over 30 minutes, IT'S LOUD AS HELL!!!!

Stephen.

post #200 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I'm watching bits and pieces of it before everyone gets here so I can get the volume levels and sub set up to my liking, and I must say that I'm extremely pleased with it.

Yes, it is recorded lower than other soundtracks. I'd say a good 8db or so. However, once turned up to make up for that.......nice. Very, very, nice. I'm not disappointed in least, but I haven't watched the whole thing yet. What I have heard so far, though, is an excellent and balanced (my favorite type) soundtrack.

P.S. I'm about to pour my first Romulan ale of the evening.

EDIT: I may run to Best Buy to pick up another BD player. I was supposed to get one after work, but chickened out. Now that I'm home and have been running the PS3 for over 30 minutes, IT'S LOUD AS HELL!!!!

Excellent, thank you for letting us know about the 8db differential. I normally watch at -12dbs give or take a couple dependent upon movie, but this I cranked to
-6 and will watch again maybe at -4. I admittedly watched most of the movie at -12 to -10, so my perspective about the audio will probably change.
post #201 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 05:47 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Excellent, thank you for letting us know about the 8db differential. I normally watch at -12dbs give or take a couple dependent upon movie, but this I cranked to
-6 and will watch again maybe at -4. I admittedly watched most of the movie at -12 to -10, so my perspective about the audio will probably change.

I snuck out of the viewing to post this: Be careful with the volume increase. If you read my post above, I'd had it with the PS3 being so loud and rushed my ass to Best Buy to get an LG BD390. I'm bitstreaming now, and the volume difference is much less. Don't blow anything up based on my previous 8db difference reference. Apparently systems can vary on this.

Stephen.

post #202 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 06:51 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

^ Alright, we're taking a refreshment drink.

The sound in this one is incredible. Just incredible. The clarity, the balance, the surrounds, the LFE..... Wow. Also, the Buttkicker is picking up low frequency signals that my PB13 Ultra is not (in 15hz tune mode). We likey.

Stephen.

post #203 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Quote:

I snuck out of the viewing to post this: Be careful with the volume increase. If you read my post above, I'd had it with the PS3 being so loud and rushed my ass to Best Buy to get an LG BD390. I'm bitstreaming now, and the volume difference is much less. Don't blow anything up based on my previous 8db difference reference. Apparently systems can vary on this.

Dialog norm again... 4db.
post #204 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I watch the majority of movies with the volume at -12 as well. That seems to be the average, with some higher and some lower.

There does seem to be a negative psychological effect when I have to crank it up to -6 or higher, like "what is wrong with this soundtrack"!?!
post #205 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Heat (TrueHD) - Tier 1
Finally guns that eat up some of that high frequency(they're mostly white noise right?), they echo appropriately, they make a ripping noise and gunfights sound completely chaotic, the shootout mid way through still manages to impress(in terms of audio, its hands down the best shootout ever put on film). One issue - dialog can get very very soft at times(not often mind you), but I had to push this one past reference, not a big deal. Surrounds area used when appropriate.

You get some LFE with the jumbo jets, its a dialogue driven film and some of the effects do sound a bit dated. I would have liked to have newly recorded sound remixed into the movie, by the same team if possible.

I don't think anyone will be disappointed with this one.

Studio quality tier
post #206 of 3112 Old 11-17-2009, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

I watch the majority of movies with the volume at -12 as well. That seems to be the average, with some higher and some lower.

There does seem to be a negative psychological effect when I have to crank it up to -6 or higher, like "what is wrong with this soundtrack"!?!

Yes Rob, I agree. My first reaction is as you said, what is wrong with the track, especially now that several Tru HD tracks have lower volumes. My secondary thought is to wonder if my system is off somehow. I am not saying I prefer DTS-MA, but if anything with those tracks I have to turn my system down a couple of db's.
post #207 of 3112 Old 11-18-2009, 12:36 AM

Star Trek [2009] (TrueHD 5.1) - Reference
It is true the volume knob will be spun a few turns to the right for this title, but I've never considered volume changes as part of the equation to ratings. Dialogue intelligibility is foremost and is my basis for making any changes in volume settings; I rate the track by how well the other sounds go with the voices, and I certainly have no qualms with clockwising the knob.

Volume setting aside, this track is easily my favorite on BD so far this year. With a top-notch sound design by the excellent Ben Burtt and a tight, aggressive mix, this TrueHD track certainly will knock the socks off a lot of feet. The surrounds are heavily employed, and the panning is seamless. Dialogue is very clear and well-recorded. Dynamics is incredibly wide, never faltering as some of the reference films do. And bass is deep and amazing (OMG, those warps each and every time made me wince due to their power!). Even punches pack... well, punch!

I love the sound design here as well. Just as immaculate as the aesthetics employed for the visuals, the sound design is every bit as clean. It employs sounds ranging from the deep end to illustrate power and foreboding doom to the shrillest of shrills that capture the essence of advanced technology. Though action-packed from beginning to end, the design manages to make the final scenes a refreshing listen. What's more, the music by Giacchino really plays on the psychological turmoil in the main characters as well as accentuating the action onscreen; brass is often heard to really amplify the sci-fi feel. I must say I didn't enjoy the music soundtrack alone, but coupled with the film, the music is memorable (that damn motif is stuck in my head now).

Star Trek is reference and an excellent audio demo track.
post #208 of 3112 Old 11-18-2009, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Star Trek (TrueHD 5.1) Reference

Yeah, what he said!! ^^^^^^^^^^^
post #209 of 3112 Old 11-18-2009, 07:42 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

I'm not throwing in my official vote yet, but something would have to change dramatically for me to not vote ST as reference. I plan to watch it again tonight without distractions, then post my thoughts on it.

Stephen.

post #210 of 3112 Old 11-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Star Trek 2009 (TrueHD) Reference

This is one of the best overall tracks I have listened to. There is strange kind of subtlety with this one or something.....hard to describe. I noticed reading Ralph Potts review that he was trying to explain this as well. Most tracks there is something that stands out above the rest such as LFE or great surround use, but the great thing about this track is that there is no standout area as this is a VERY well balanced track.

Like sb1 mentioned, it seemed my BKs were picking up .1 info on occasion that my subs were not which is crazy and I am curious how deep some of this stuff went. LFE here is very well thought out(for the most part.....I had a few little nit-picks, but they were very few) and incredibly detailed. Some VERY powerful moments at times and a few demo worthy scenes for sure.

Surrounds are fantastic both in action and ambient scenes and really brought this world to life. There were a few moments when sounds seemed to be coming out of thin air right above my head......very cool

Dialog was perfect.

Dynamics were incredible.

No major complaints at all with this one and while not my absolute favorite reference track definitely belongs there.

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Master And Commander The Far Side Of The World Blu Ray , Casino Royale Blu Ray , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , How To Train Your Dragon , Iron Man 2 Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur , Kung Fu Panda Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , A Bugs Life Blu Ray , Monsters Inc Blu Ray , Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu Ray , Toy Story Trilogy Blu Ray 3d , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , The Conjuring Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray Dvd Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray 3d Combo Pack , Oblivion Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Kill Bill Volume 1 Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Rises Limited Edition Bat Cowl Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Last St
Gear in this thread - Last by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page