post #2071 of 3098 Old 01-28-2011, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Really interested in thoughts on the audio tracks for the versions released of "Red". I'll stay tuned.
Someone needs to buy the 2disc edition for lossless sound. The rental and single disc edition for purchase only have DD 5.1. So be aware.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 3098 Old 01-28-2011, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Dances with Wolves (DTS HD MA 7.1) Tier 3

This was rather a disappointment to me, I guess my memory of the soundtrack is different then what is delivered here. It sounds thin and dated. Surround effects are poorly integrated meaning they jump rather then float and frankly they barely present for the a long duration of the movie. Bass is weak even on the famed buffalo hunt scene. Rifles sound like pop guns. Dialog is natural however, lacking that chesty overdub sound I love to hate. Music however lacks envelopment and it's top end sound veiled.[ I have the score on SACD] If you like the movie however there won't be a better version out there anytime soon, unless you prefer the theatrical cut which is not on this set.

The Hun
post #2073 of 3098 Old 01-28-2011, 05:15 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 135
^ Well, I'll just go ahead and say that sucks. I had high hopes that it would be a nice sounding track. I'm sure I'll still get it, though.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #2074 of 3098 Old 01-28-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Dances with Wolves (DTS HD MA 7.1) Tier 3

This was rather a disappointment to me, I guess my memory of the soundtrack is different then what is delivered here. It sounds thin and dated. Surround effects are poorly integrated meaning they jump rather then float and frankly they barely present for the a long duration of the movie. Bass is weak even on the famed buffalo hunt scene. Rifles sound like pop guns. Dialog is natural however, lacking that chesty overdub sound I love to hate. Music however lacks envelopment and it's top end sound veiled.[ I have the score on SACD] If you like the movie however there won't be a better version out there anytime soon, unless you prefer the theatrical cut which is not on this set.

Amazing how far we have come. I am kind of leery of movies in the 10 year old and greater range for audio. What I take for granted as a ho hum track now blows many of these movies away from 10 years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2075 of 3098 Old 01-28-2011, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Devil DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Tier 1

This showed up in my queue and I did not really know much about it. Just figured it for a third tier, direct to video horror flic. I am not sure if it was direct to video but it was ALOT better than I thought it would be. Pretty good quality production all the way around. Right off the bat the audio lets you know some real proffessionals put this together. The first half of the movie the audio was superb! Fantastic surround usage and very good lfe for ambience and effects. I struggled with the tier rating on this as the first half was just about perfect for what it provided for the movie. But the
2nd half things really died down and I thought they missed some opportunities for some better lfe. Some of this was due to the movie but still this was an exceptional effort for this type of flic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2076 of 3098 Old 01-28-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Pathfinder DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Tier 0

Had seen this on HBO, was able to pick it up at Target. Very good use of all speakers, some hard LFE, overall excellent sound presentation for an intense film.
post #2077 of 3098 Old 01-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Someone needs to buy the 2disc edition for lossless sound. The rental and single disc edition for purchase only have DD 5.1. So be aware.

I did buy it,but have not had the chance to see the whole movie yet...
I did sample a few scenes though and they sounded really good.
post #2078 of 3098 Old 01-28-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

^ Well, I'll just go ahead and say that sucks. I had high hopes that it would be a nice sounding track. I'm sure I'll still get it, though.

Well if you like the movie you should get, and you might like the soundtrack better then I did, you never know.

The Hun
post #2079 of 3098 Old 01-28-2011, 03:26 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

Well if you like the movie you should get, and you might like the soundtrack better then I did, you never know.

It's one of the rare movies that I can watch and enjoy on any system. I was just hoping for a more positive audio review (I tend to agree with your rankings).

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #2080 of 3098 Old 01-30-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

The Social Network (DTS-HD MA 5.1) Tier 2

Well this movie is not about the audio at all but the couple music scenes were odd to me in they were so bombastic.

post #2081 of 3098 Old 01-30-2011, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
War of the Worlds blu ray from BB was a "rental" version but you guys are dead on the pods emerging chapter...holy toleedo that was major massive bass! It's too bad the PQ had so much noise and dark. I hope they do some digital re-master of this one cause it's a keeper for new subwoofer reference demo material.
post #2082 of 3098 Old 01-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 443
SAW The Final Chapter (DTS-HD MA 7.1) tier 1

Typical SAW audio track and nothing to complain about. Nothing demo worthy either.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #2083 of 3098 Old 01-31-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post
War of the Worlds blu ray from BB was a "rental" version It's too bad the PQ had so much noise and dark. I hope they do some digital re-master of this one
That was intentional.
post #2084 of 3098 Old 01-31-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Secretariat (DTS-HD MA 5.1) Tier 1

Really enjoyed the heck out of those racing moments. Very commanding and with authority. It really felt like I was out on the track side by side with the greatest racehorse ever. Sadly, the quieter moments weren't as immersive as I would have liked and I noticed more ADR than I usually do which took me out of the film at times. It made me look forward to the racing scenes even more because I knew they would deliver.

The American (DTS-HD MA 5.1) Tier 2

The attention paid to the slightest detail was amazing. Ambient effects were perfect. Certainly the lower frequencies could have been a bit more prevalent but I thought for the most part, it suited the material. Mid-bass gunfire was tight and hit hard. Dialogue was perfect. Pans were seamless.
For this thread and rating system, it had the quality but not the quantity.
post #2085 of 3098 Old 01-31-2011, 10:24 AM

The Social Network (DTS-HD:MA 5.1) - Tier 1
The soundtrack is mostly dialogue, but in the instances where it gets loud, it does so magnificently. The club scene was one reason I got the movie! Volume turned up, you really feel like your theater is a club! It's even more believable because the characters have to scream over the din of music. This scene rivals the club scene in The Dark Knight. And bass The score is mixed well, and features some addictive tracks from Reznor and Ross. Voices are well-prioritized and the only reason one would have to use subtitles is because of the main character's rapid speech. Surrounds are mostly ambient. Tier 1 for its high quality, but lack of more activity as tracks with higher ratings.
post #2086 of 3098 Old 01-31-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The A-Team (DTS-HD:MA 5.1) - Tier 0

Pretty good bass, a lot of sound effect. Short of reference in my opinion though...
post #2087 of 3098 Old 01-31-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

That was intentional.

I know,.. read about that BUT is it suppose to look identical to dvd? blu ray should look somewhat better right? or maybe because it was a rental copy. And to make things worse, the aspect was 1.78:1 which to me is dvd death and it was an action movie too. I can understand something like The Piano but jeez a good sci-fi action thriller? It was like watching an ABC sunday night movie on your 25" zenith. I will NOT buy any dvd or blu ray that is not at least 2.25:1..with exception for animation.
post #2088 of 3098 Old 01-31-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

I know,.. read about that BUT is it suppose to look identical to dvd? blu ray should look somewhat better right? or maybe because it was a rental copy. And to make things worse, the aspect was 1.78:1 which to me is dvd death and it was an action movie too. I can understand something like The Piano but jeez a good sci-fi action thriller? It was like watching an ABC sunday night movie on your 25" zenith. I will NOT buy any dvd or blu ray that is not at least 2.25:1..with exception for animation.

Oh I can tell a huge difference between the blu-ray and the dvd. Sure the video noise is still there and contrast is overblown but that's a product of what Spielberg and Janusz K. wanted. Fine detail and compression issues are such an improvement however, that it makes the blu-ray look amazing compared to the dvd. (Not to mention the huge step up in audio! )
As for the AR, Spielberg uses both depending on the material. He probably wanted the tripods to have more height and seem more menacing so he chose the taller AR much like he did in Jurassic Park when he chose 1.85:1 for it.
post #2089 of 3098 Old 01-31-2011, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As for the AR, Spielberg uses both depending on the material. He probably wanted the tripods to have more height and seem more menacing so he chose the taller AR much like he did in Jurassic Park when he chose 1.85:1 for it.

I always hear this. I just don't get it though. In a movie theater the 2.4 image is the same height as the 1.85. Just that the 2.4 is also wider. For me the wider image is easier to show something being taller because you have more perspective around it. I have a constant area screen setup in my ht so scope or 1.85 are the same size for me. I still prefer scope as it gives a larger perspective. Would have been cool to see these movies in scope aspect.

post #2090 of 3098 Old 01-31-2011, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I always hear this. I just don't get it though. In a movie theater the 2.4 image is the same height as the 1.85. Just that the 2.4 is also wider. For me the wider image is easier to show something being taller because you have more perspective around it. I have a constant area screen setup in my ht so scope or 1.85 are the same size for me. I still prefer scope as it gives a larger perspective. Would have been cool to see these movies in scope aspect.

I agree. I guess he was thinking home viewing more than theatrical. Who knows.
I love scope ratio as well and I love it even more now that I have a scope screen in my theater.
post #2091 of 3098 Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Spielberg favors the 1:85:1 ratio for some reason, only a handful of his films are wider then that ratio.

The Hun
post #2092 of 3098 Old 02-01-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:

Secretariat (DTS-HD MA 5.1) Tier 1

Really enjoyed the heck out of those racing moments. Very commanding and with authority. It really felt like I was out on the track side by side with the greatest racehorse ever. Sadly, the quieter moments weren't as immersive as I would have liked and I noticed more ADR than I usually do which took me out of the film at times. It made me look forward to the racing scenes even more because I knew they would deliver.

Agreed. The audio during the race scenes was clearly at another level. I loved how the caller's voice shifted to the surround channels while the front soundstage came alive with the thunderous gallops and movements of the horses.

I debated between a Tier 0 and a Tier 1 rating for this, but I think it fits more comfortably in the lower tier.

Secretariat (DTS-HD MA 5.1) - Tier 1

post #2093 of 3098 Old 02-01-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Red (Dolby Digital 5.1) Tier 1

This vote is for the rental version with DD only. I won't dwell too much on the asinine decision of Summit Entertainment to grace their rental and movie only release of Red with a lossy Dolby Digital audio track while the SE with bonus features got a DTS-HD MA track.
So I can only rate the version I listened to and overall, it was a great design. It is really too bad that people who rented the film or who bought the movie only cheap release get gipped because all the pieces are there for it to be a reference track.
On the DD track, dialogue sounded great and surrounds were active and appropriate. Expectedly, some of the louder action sequences and explosions seemed to exhibit severe compression. Detail was lacking and dynamics took a big hit. It was noticeable to the trained ear.
post #2094 of 3098 Old 02-02-2011, 02:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Spielberg favors the 1:85:1 ratio for some reason, only a handful of his films are wider then that ratio.

I would say more than just a handful....

The Sugarland Express
Jaws
Close Encounters
The Indiana Jones series(3)
Hook
Minority Report
Munich
post #2095 of 3098 Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Red (Dolby Digital 5.1) Tier 1

This vote is for the rental version with DD only. I won't dwell too much on the asinine decision of Summit Entertainment to grace their rental and movie only release of Red with a lossy Dolby Digital audio track while the SE with bonus features got a DTS-HD MA track.
So I can only rate the version I listened to and overall, it was a great design. It is really too bad that people who rented the film or who bought the movie only cheap release get gipped because all the pieces are there for it to be a reference track.
On the DD track, dialogue sounded great and surrounds were active and appropriate. Expectedly, some of the louder action sequences and explosions seemed to exhibit severe compression. Detail was lacking and dynamics took a big hit. It was noticeable to the trained ear.

Well the lossless DTS-HD MA track does not sound that much different,it is not an overally dymanic mix to begin with.
post #2096 of 3098 Old 02-02-2011, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The Last Airbender - Reference
Serious Sound, but man... truly awful plot....

My gear & my blog:

post #2097 of 3098 Old 02-02-2011, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg75 View Post

Well the lossless DTS-HD MA track does not sound that much different,it is not an overally dymanic mix to begin with.

That may be. Unfortunately I wasn't given the option to hear it that way when I rented the movie. I've seen numerous professional reviews give it high praise although in this thread, that sometimes means squat.
post #2098 of 3098 Old 02-02-2011, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
which of these 2 'reference' audio Blu-ray's would people recommend if you only had to pick 1 to show off your home audio system, Cloverfield or War of the Worlds (not just focusing on LFE but an overall audio experience)?
post #2099 of 3098 Old 02-02-2011, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

which of these 2 'reference' audio Blu-ray's would people recommend if you only had to pick 1 to show off your home audio system, Cloverfield or War of the Worlds (not just focusing on LFE but an overall audio experience)?

War of the Worlds for me.
post #2100 of 3098 Old 02-02-2011, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I own both and it is not even close for me. WOTW. Cloverfield has some killer lfe in the monster but the rest is pretty conversational. WOTW has the lfe and many instances of the most amazing and powerful surround usage I have heard.

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Master And Commander The Far Side Of The World Blu Ray , Casino Royale Blu Ray , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , How To Train Your Dragon , Iron Man 2 Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur , Kung Fu Panda Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , A Bugs Life Blu Ray , Monsters Inc Blu Ray , Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu Ray , Toy Story Trilogy Blu Ray 3d , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , The Conjuring Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray Dvd Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray 3d Combo Pack , Oblivion Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Kill Bill Volume 1 Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Rises Limited Edition Bat Cowl Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Last St
Gear in this thread - Last by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page