NEW Audio Tier Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Demo'd the first 20 minutes or so to set the volume for the viewing parties on Friday AND Saturday night. () Coming from my PS3 the volume levels where definately lower than standard. After fixing, the track is very sharp and distinct. Not busy like Transformers 2. I demo'd the first 10 mins of Tansformers 2 right before I tested Star Trek. The difference in volume, surround business and abundance of LFE was drastic compared to the fist 10-20 mins of Star Trek - yet Star Trek was much more intense?. I will vote on Sunday. Yes and my Romulan ale is cold and waiting...

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 09:50 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Demo'd the first 20 minutes or so to set the volume for the viewing parties on Friday AND Saturday night. () Coming from my PS3 the volume levels where definately lower than standard. After fixing, the track is very sharp and distinct. Not busy like Transformers 2. I demo'd the first 10 mins of Tansformers 2 right before I tested Star Trek. The difference in volume, surround business and abundance of LFE was drastic compared to the fist 10-20 mins of Star Trek - yet Star Trek was much more intense?. I will vote on Sunday. Yes and my Romulan ale is cold and waiting...

Excellent comparison, as I was thinking the EXACT same thing. As much as I liked the TF2 track, ST was much better, IMO. You could hear every sound, and not just a hodgepodge of various things.

@ Toe - I have no idea just how low some of these frequencies went. I have some really good room gain down low, and with the Ultra in 15hz tune, there was absolutely no sound in some scenes, yet the BK would be going off like mad hell.

When Nero jumped to warp close to the end, a big metal picture thingy (or something) that my wife has on the wall nearly fell off. It was an awesome moment, and I was very proud. I also heard something creak in the back wall, again, making me smile.

I can't remember what scene it was, though, that had a sustained rumble from the BK, with no sound from the sub at all. Maybe a scene with the drill, but I'm not sure. Damn Romulan ale....

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #213 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Star Trek 2009 (TrueHD) Reference

Awesome! +1 what Toe said. There were some pretty awesome LFE stuff going on wayyyyyyyyyy down low( 13 Ultra in 15Hz tune),I could feel my body and my butt vibrating but not much sound...way cool and much fun.

Chris
post #214 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

@ Toe - I have no idea just how low some of these frequencies went. I have some really good room gain down low, and with the Ultra in 15hz tune, there was absolutely no sound in some scenes, yet the BK would be going off like mad hell.

When Nero jumped to warp close to the end, a big metal picture thingy (or something) that my wife has on the wall nearly fell off. It was an awesome moment, and I was very proud. I also heard something creak in the back wall, again, making me smile.

I can't remember what scene it was, though, that had a sustained rumble from the BK, with no sound from the sub at all. Maybe a scene with the drill, but I'm not sure. Damn Romulan ale....

I would be curious to see some waterfalls.....I have mine in 15hz as well (also have the big room gain down low) and experienced the same thing....wild. Yeah, there were a few scenes that the BKs were creating this wave type motion in the couch but you could not hear anything from the subs (at least at the listening position)......I rarely get these but man it is cool when it happens. My BKs bottomed out a few times as well during this film and that is rare as well

That Nero scene you are talking about (I assume this is the scene where they were having trouble getting to warp right near the end?) was insane! I was worried my surround speakers were going to fall off the shelves! The sky-dive type scene was also killer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey1 View Post

Awesome! +1 what Toe said. There were some pretty awesome LFE stuff going on wayyyyyyyyyy down low( 13 Ultra in 15Hz tune),I could feel my body and my butt vibrating but not much sound...way cool and much fun.

Chris

Sweet

Any good concerts we should know about lately Chris as far as audio?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #215 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Todd, my latest was Talking Heads, haven't found any others yet, will let you know when i do!

Might have to watch Star trek again tonite
post #216 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 02:09 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

There were a few moments when sounds seemed to be coming out of thin air right above my head......very cool

A great illustration but probably not what you were referring to is the scene where Spock connects with marooned Kirk. Spock's voice seemed to emanate from inside my head! Incredible.
post #217 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenike View Post

A great illustration but probably not what you were referring to is the scene where Spock connects with marooned Kirk. Spock's voice seemed to emanate from inside my head! Incredible.

That scene was fantastic. Need to rewatch this movie again soon since there was a lot to absorb with only one viewing considering the movie, PQ, and AQ. The other thing was this movie just FLEW by......couldnt believe how fast it seemed to go.

Might have to give Fight Club a spin tonight though since that one is getting high praise for audio as well.

post #218 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Star Trek [2009] (Dolby TrueHD 5.1) - Reference

Can't think of much else to say that hasn't been said. What's amazing to me is that, though this movie and the Star Wars films share the same sound designer -- Ben Burtt -- this movie does not sound like a Star Wars movie. Star Wars would be much more bombastic with the aural fireworks and surround activity. There's just an air of . . . oh I don't know, refinement about this mix that Star Wars lacks. (Could it be partly because Burtt allowed the film score to shine instead of drowning it out with sound effects? )

I don't have quite the same bass setup some of you guys do, but my Outlaw LFM-1 Plus had quite a good time rattling the foundations when needed. Love those warp blasts!

Not quite at the top of the Reference heap (personally, that honor goes to The Bourne Ultimatum), but this is definitely the king of the "space adventure" BD mixes.
post #219 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Bryan et al. Just so credit goes where creidit is due (and to note that our sister company did the sound editorial on the film..... )

Mr. Burtt was mainly involved in the design of the vintage sounds, and for bringing them up to date. While his presence and contributions should not be minimized, most of the track was created by Superising Sound Editor Mark Stoekinger, Sound Designer Alan Rankin and the editorial team at Soundelux.

And don't forget the wondeful mix by Andy and Anna.

This fantastic track is the creation of an amazing set of peoplevand talents. And while Ben Burtt has done his magic on many amazing tracks, I find it necessary to post this in fairness to the team.
post #220 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 03:45 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Star Trek 2009, True HD - Reference

Watched it again after work. I could pick it apart in some places, but it would take a scalpel to really find any problems worth noting. Everyone has already said what there is to be said about it, and I agree.

Stephen.

post #221 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 03:46 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Bryan et al. Just so credit goes where creidit is due (and to note that our sister company did the sound editorial on the film..... )

Mr. Burtt was mainly involved in the design of the vintage sounds, and for bringing them up to date. While his presence and contributions should not be minimized, most of the track was created by Superising Sound Editor Mark Stoekinger, Sound Designer Alan Rankin and the editorial team at Soundelux.

And don't forget the wondeful mix by Andy and Anna.

This fantastic track is the creation of an amazing set of peoplevand talents. And while Ben Burtt has done his magic on many amazing tracks, I find it necessary to post this in fairness to the team.

Thanks for the info. My favorite part of the extras was the part about the sound design.

Stephen.

post #222 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 05:21 PM

Liked: 15
When I first viewed Star Trek on blu-ray several weeks, I just knew that this was a special sound design. It just sounded right in so many ways. Based on the many positive comments coming forth now it's nice to see that others agree. While I don't think that it is the best of the best , it is truly something wonderful to listen to nonetheless. And it's a good and entertaining movie as well. Bring on the next installment.
post #223 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 05:24 PM

FilmMixer, thanks for shedding light on the many talented people that had a hand in crafting this incredible sounding movie.
post #224 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 06:09 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

That Nero scene you are talking about (I assume this is the scene where they were having trouble getting to warp right near the end?) was insane!

The one I was talking about when the picture thing almost fell off the wall is the Nero warp jump at approximately 1:46:14. Every wall shakes.

Stephen.

post #225 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

The one I was talking about when the picture thing almost fell off the wall is the Nero warp jump at approximately 1:46:14. Every wall shakes.

Gotcha. Will have to check that out again. There is a sustained LFE pulse when the crew is trying to get the ship to warp around 1:52 somewhere which is the one that impressed me

post #226 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 07:24 PM

It's right when Nero tells them to give chase to Spock when he makes a warp jump after escaping from Nero's ship. Impressive deep bass.
post #227 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
[Star Trek 2009 Tru HD - REFERENCE

I watched Star Trek for the third time tonight. Please totally disregard my post # 192 .

I watched it at -3 these last two times and it is an amazing soundtrack and to reiterate what others have said it is certainly reference. It is one of the best tracks I have ever heard on BD. My whole house was shaking considerably. Warp speed is an adrenalin rush as were many moments in this film, but the sounds really draw you in on this BD and make you feel like you are part of it.

OT... as a motorcycle rider I want one of those flying cycles.

This movie and soundtrack are so engaging that after multiple viewings I wasn't bored in the least and know I will be seeing it again a few times in the near future.

This is another Tru HD track that playing from the PS3 seems to have lower volume levels. I now know that most of these Tru HD's that have these lower volume levels just need to be cranked more.
post #228 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 09:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

[SIZE="3"]Star Trek 2009 Tru HD - REFERENCE
[/size]

I watched Star Trek for the third time tonight. Please totally disregard my post # 192 .

I watched it at -3 these last two times and it is an amazing soundtrack and to reiterate what others have said it is certainly reference. It is one of the best tracks I have ever heard on BD. My whole house was shaking considerably. Warp speed is an adrenalin rush as were many moments in this film, but the sounds really draw you in on this BD and make you feel like you are part of it.

OT... as a motorcycle rider I want one of those flying cycles.

This movie and soundtrack are so engaging that after multiple viewings I wasn't bored in the least and know I will be seeing it again a few times in the near future.

This is another Tru HD track that playing from the PS3 seems to have lower volume levels. I now know that most of these Tru HD's that have these lower volume levels just need to be cranked more.

Good to know that I will need to really crank this one up to get the full effect.
post #229 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Kung Fu Panda - Tier-0

Gave KFP another spin.

I know I am going to get flamed but this one never wowed me like Ratatouille or Monster's Inc. which faired better in the LFE department. Otherwise an excellent track with superlative dynamics, directionality and constantly active surrounds.

Blu-ray : 340
post #230 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 09:54 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Kung Fu Panda - Tier-0

Gave KFP another spin.

I know I am going to get flamed but this one never wowed me like Ratatouille or Monster's Inc. which faired better in the LFE department. Otherwise an excellent track with superlative dynamics, directionality and constantly active surrounds.

No point in flaming anyone over their opinion.

Although I do think KFP has a reference track, I think for me, making a call between KFP, MI, and the Rat would be splitting hairs at best. I don't think I can make a call on which one sounds better to me without sitting down with a pad and pen and taking some really detailed and critical notes while watching.

Stephen.

post #231 of 3097 Old 11-18-2009, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Kung Fu Panda - Tier-0

Gave KFP another spin.

Monsters Inc has better LFE? I need to give it a spin, KFP practically creates a gravity field it digs so deep at times. I need to get around to watching it.

For me KFP is one of the only tracks that I've heard that is "perfect", there's not a single thing that can be changed to make it better.

I demoed some scenes from Trek, as good as it was in theaters - , can't wait to sit down this weekend at watch it again and again.
That mixing team always brings the sonic goodness.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #232 of 3097 Old 11-19-2009, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

The bridge fight from KFP is my go-to demo scene when I want to sit back and smile at how awesome the sound design is, and how well my speakers execute it. I know the "Ska-doosh!" moment gets a lot of praise for its subsonic goodness, but for me Tai Lung's landing is flat-out jaw-dropping.

The prison breakout scene is another terrific sequence, as is the opening segment. As is . . . well, the whole movie
post #233 of 3097 Old 11-19-2009, 05:08 AM

KFP is my favorite soundtrack along with The Incredible Hulk. My favorite demo scene is the prison break. It makes me go "WOW!" every time I hear it. I think I will give it a spin tonight.
post #234 of 3097 Old 11-19-2009, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It would be interesting to see everyone's top 3 among the reference titles although I know we don't want to stray off topic too much. Maybe the next time we vote on a title, we can add our personal top 3 so we don't add too many unnecessary posts. I'll start since I've already got this post going...

1. The Bourne Ultimatum (perfection)
2. Star Trek (like Bryan, this one shoots up close to the top but I still rank Bourne ahead)
3. The Incredible Hulk (LFE bliss; dynamic)
post #235 of 3097 Old 11-19-2009, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

The first 12 minutes of Star Trek (right up until the title appears) is the most exhilarating sequence I've seen in a movie in quite some time. Demo worthy for sure.

Agree 100x. The beginning of the 1st scene was simply breathtaking IMHO.
post #236 of 3097 Old 11-19-2009, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr b View Post

Agree 100x. The beginning of the 1st scene was simply breathtaking IMHO.

It works so well because they took the best parts of space combat from Star Wars(the flashy spectacle) and Battlestar(the physics and camera movement), it works fantastically.

My top 3 any format
1) SPR
2) Cloverfield
3) Episode 1

Top 3 BD( I like Toe's list)
1) Cloverfield
2) Transformers
3) Matrix Reloaded

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #237 of 3097 Old 11-19-2009, 08:06 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

It works so well because they took the best parts of space combat from Star Wars(the flashy spectacle) and Battlestar(the physics and camera movement), it works fantastically.

It certainly does.

One of the best things about Star Trek (for me) was just how good the movie itself was. It's the rare occasion that I buy a movie just to have the actual movie, regardless of how it sounds. Most of those movies are rentals. I could happily watch ST on the TV without a home theater and still love it. The a/v presentation just makes it all the better.

Stephen.

post #238 of 3097 Old 11-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

I really was not convinced from the opening scene in Star Trek of the films awesome sound design......it really wasnt until the jump sequence that I was convinced and then the ending which solidified it. Dont get me wrong the opening was great, but it was definately not the best part of the movie as far as audio IMO.

Top 3 for me in no particular order

1. Matrix Reloaded
2. Cloverfield or The Incredible Hulk
3. Transformers (the 1:42-2:12 mark is still probably my favorite overall demo scene for audio as far as movies).

If I was to put a concert in there as well it would be Stop Making Sense.

It is really hard to pick just 3 though

post #239 of 3097 Old 11-19-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
My Top 3 are:
1, Master And Commander
2, I am Legend
3. Bourne Ultimatum

I agree it's hard to choose only 3 here, we're spoiled with many good ones.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #240 of 3097 Old 11-19-2009, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

The Kite Runner (Dolby TrueHD 5.1) - Tier 1

Another title from my collection that's long sat unopened. This is a nicely crisp and detailed mix, with the surrounds primarily employed for ambiance and crowd noise. Dialogue came through with excellent clarity and very good dynamic range, all without a hint of distortion. Deep bass frequencies were minimal; a quick burst of gunshots near the end were unimpressive. This is the type of movie that doesn't require whiz-bang audio, but what's here is very well done and quite fitting for the story.

It's extremely hard to decide on a Top 3, because after #1 and 2, the number of movies competing for #3 are just too many.

1. The Bourne Ultimatum
2. Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Master And Commander The Far Side Of The World Blu Ray , Casino Royale Blu Ray , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , How To Train Your Dragon , Iron Man 2 Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur , Kung Fu Panda Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , A Bugs Life Blu Ray , Monsters Inc Blu Ray , Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu Ray , Toy Story Trilogy Blu Ray 3d , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , The Conjuring Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray Dvd Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray 3d Combo Pack , Oblivion Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Kill Bill Volume 1 Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Rises Limited Edition Bat Cowl Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Last St
Gear in this thread - Last by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page