AVS Forum banner

Gone With The Wind

33K views 295 replies 88 participants last post by  Rachael Bellomy 
#1 ·
#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_breeze /forum/post/17467464

I'm counting on this; it's the only reason I haven't placed my Amazon order yet.

I suspect the strategy will replicate TWOO. They know the market is limited for super premium box sets. They only annouce the box set in order to steer those that can't wait, or really want, the high price option. At the last minute the $20(street) movie only version appears.

While it MAY be good business, is it really the right thing to do? They ought to reward the pre-order customers. Denying them a choice, to me, seems a bit shady.

#8 ·
I think it look as good as anyone could've hoped for. This, north by northwest and Oz is a go. Maybe one could hoped for a little more bitrate on the audio/video.. Other than that it seems like a lovely box set.

(I own about 10 BDs and only one is a new film, rest is classics. That's where BD really shines IMHO)

#9 ·
Well you couldn't get a better Bitrate on Audio. TrueHD is loseless and zip the files. Since it's a Mono to 5.1, i guess only 3 to 1 speaker is always active and this compress really well. It's 16bits too so it's bitrate make sense. If you do FLAC on PC you understand the principle...

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/17468545

All I know is I can see why Rhett wanted her !

Art

Then Rhett must have holes in his head. Scarlett showed herself to be strong-willed and able to stop feeling sorry for herself and actually pulled herself up from what could have been the loss of everything, learning to depend on no one but herself and no longer needing to be catered to. But she still remained as self-centered as ever. What man in his right mind wants a spoiled brat like that for a wife?

Scarlett O'Hara (a la Anne Taintor):

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki /forum/post/17468366

Well you couldn't get a better Bitrate on Audio. TrueHD is loseless and zip the files. Since it's a Mono to 5.1, i guess only 3 to 1 speaker is always active and this compress really well. It's 16bits too so it's bitrate make sense. If you do FLAC on PC you understand the principle...

Ah, didn't really know that. Yes I use flac and it's great. Thanks for the info.

But still, I guess they list the unzipped bitrates and then it's def a lot lower then DTS HDMA for ex. But it's an old movie with pretty weak sound to begin with.

#14 ·
Do the actors in this film speak normally or with that over acting style that many old films seem to use?

Thanks,

Tom

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss /forum/post/17468748

Then Rhett must have holes in his head. Scarlett showed herself to be strong-willed and able to stop feeling sorry for herself and actually pulled herself up from what could have been the loss of everything, learning to depend on no one but herself and no longer needing to be catered to. But she still remained as self-centered as ever. What man in his right mind wants a spoiled brat like that for a wife?

Who said anything about wife ? This shot gives me a seventy year anniversary chubby.

Art

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/17469690

No Gable has a style so similar to the natural every-day-joe as Will Smith might use in his many great films.

Art

Indeed. His last line in the film is about as honest and straightforward as it can get.

This is one of the films that DEFINITELY deserves a Blu-ray release. If there is a 1-disc version like Oz, I predict it will sell very well, especially in the South.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss /forum/post/17468748

Hmm? All that sounds good outside of the spoiled brat thingy. However, it's a bit of a double standard when someone could just as easily sight Rhett's womanizing, gambling, hard drinking, occasionally violent behavior and shady business dealings as not really being marriage material either.

Keeping that in mind, they were made for each other?

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk /forum/post/17470489

Hmm? All that sounds good outside of the spoiled brat thingy. However, it's a bit of a double standard when someone could just as easily sight Rhett's womanizing, gambling, hard drinking, occasionally violent behavior and shady business dealings as not really being marriage material either.

Keeping that in mind, they were made for each other?

You're right. They deserve each other.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss /forum/post/17471893

If it's offered for $19.99 the first week, it's worth it, but since the UCE Blu-Ray can be had for about $45 (Amazon or Wal-Mart online), it seems $29 would be too much to pay for just the single-disc Blu-Ray.

I am guessing we will see this for $19-22 on release week with an SRP of $29. Gremlins at Target on Blu-Ray was $22.xx on release week and has since been sold on a sale for $19.xx in store. I am thinking we will see very similar pricing for Gone With The Wind. I will most likely just grab it there if I can get it for $19.xx.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk /forum/post/17466131

Amazon has the Warner set for $45, I pre-ordered at that price. I'm a little less adverse to owning the whole shebang on this one because the extras are a little less corn-ball than with OZ

My feelings as well. In fact, I'm looking forward to owning When The Lion Roars. Throw that in, along with the full port of the DVD SE sets extras, and the $49 (with tax) cost of the set doesn't give me much pause at all.

That still works out to a few dollars less than I paid for the 50th Anniversary bare bones LD set 20 years ago. I expect to be a pretty satisfied camper with this.

My only kvetch would be I wish the set was designed to be more practical and self friendly. The Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland DVD set from a couple years back packed 4 discs with a book and some postcards...just about the same MO as this GWTW set, but did so with a form factor that took up as much space as a typical 4-5 disc box set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.