A Christmas Carol (1951 Alastair Sim) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 11-06-2009, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
plain fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Okc, OK
Posts: 1,473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched and didn't find a thread for this one. Has anyone watched it on Blu ray yet? Can't seem to find any reviews on the net either...

Grady
<<plain fan>>
plain fan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 Old 11-06-2009, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kilgore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Posts: 3,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 201
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...ol_blu-ray.htm
Looks lmpressive to me.
Kilgore is offline  
post #3 of 27 Old 11-07-2009, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Timothy Ramzyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: milwaukee
Posts: 3,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...ol_blu-ray.htm
Looks lmpressive to me.

The image quality is quite sound for this film, but on my set-up, there was a slight strobe in some of the motion. Anyone else?
Timothy Ramzyk is offline  
post #4 of 27 Old 11-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Senior Member
 
dtsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How good is this PQ? So good that during Scrooge's wake-up for Xmas scene, you can actually spot a crew member (with tie) when he (Scrooge) looks at himself at in the mirror.
dtsguy is offline  
post #5 of 27 Old 11-07-2009, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kilgore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Posts: 3,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk View Post

The image quality is quite sound for this film, but on my set-up, there was a slight strobe in some of the motion. Anyone else?

Does the video section in this review describe what you're seeing? I haven't received the Blu-ray yet so I couldn't say.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Chri...y-Review/6118/
Kilgore is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 11-07-2009, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
plain fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Okc, OK
Posts: 1,473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From the screen shots on dvdbeaver it looks amazing. Might have to buy this one.

Grady
<<plain fan>>
plain fan is offline  
post #7 of 27 Old 11-07-2009, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xb1032's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quite impressive! As soon as the price drops enough I'll be picking this Christmas classic up!
xb1032 is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 11-08-2009, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mike171979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chino Hills
Posts: 1,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

Quite impressive! As soon as the price drops enough I'll be picking this Christmas classic up!

16.99 for a new catalog release is cheap!!!!



But I guess even if it was 9.99 some people would want it for less.
mike171979 is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old 11-08-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike171979 View Post

16.99 for a new catalog release is cheap!!!!



But I guess even if it was 9.99 some people would want it for less.

agreed. considering you're also getting a DVD copy as well that you could give to a family member or keep for another room in the house.
Dave Mack is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 11-08-2009, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
xb1032's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike171979 View Post

16.99 for a new catalog release is cheap!!!!



But I guess even if it was 9.99 some people would want it for less.

It's a fair price at 16.99 and a much better value than The Grinch or Charlie Brown for sure. And I know others really like the added DVD but for me it doesn't really add any value.

I'm tempted to get it now but since it was just released and BD deals have been getting much better in the last month or so, I can see the price better on this one before Christmas. I won't be watching it for at least a month likely anyway.
xb1032 is offline  
post #11 of 27 Old 11-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Senior Member
 
quikric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've allways loved the Allister Sim's version of a Christmas Carol, and try to watch the movie every year.
I will definetly be picking up the Blu ray for viewing this season.

I support Region-Free/OAR!
quikric is offline  
post #12 of 27 Old 11-17-2009, 12:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
got it tonight and skipped around some scenes. I noticed in a few places what looked like ghosting or maybe an interlace issue. I thought, can't be, it's 1080P/24. My PS3 is outputting 1080P/24 and my Panny PJ is accepting it and I have turned all frame creation and other processing modes off. Yep, in many shots there is noticeable ghosting, combing. I put on the DVD from a couple of years back and they are there too in the same places. Less noticeable because of the lower res.

I grabbed my camera and took a few shots to show. This was handheld with the BD paused. No tripod so forgive the slight softness. Just to show what I'm talking about. Can't do an actual frame grab but I have never noticed this on any other BD with my settup.



the very next frame...



the door swinging open is really glaring. It literally becomes 2 doors...





Most of the shot where Scrooge and Marley speak together is affected too.



note the hand...



the scene where Ebenezer's sister comes to meet him in school, when she opens the door, the whole shot is combing, ghosting...




I noticed several other instances but have only skipped around. And it's the exact same on the DVD. I don't think it's my settup. Would be intersting to see actual frame grabs.
Not horrible but definitely noticeable and disappointing. Maybe this was done a few years ago at 1080i...? Then in the conversion, there were a few hiccups?
Dave Mack is offline  
post #13 of 27 Old 11-17-2009, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kilgore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Posts: 3,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 201
If you live in Canada, whatever you do, stay far, FAR away from the green covered Emerald Edition Blu-ray. I made the mistake of picking it up (couldn't find the VCI version in my town), and it is CRAP. Barely better than DVD, nowhere near the quality of the screenshots of the VCI version. In virtually the entire sequence with Marley's ghost, the audio is completely out of sync with the video by at least a second. Horrible. Avoid at all cost.
Kilgore is offline  
post #14 of 27 Old 11-17-2009, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RDarrylR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amazon.ca in Canada has the better version (the VCI one) and it's even cheaper than the green label one. The VCI one is the one I got after reading the last few weeks.
RDarrylR is offline  
post #15 of 27 Old 11-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
Eric D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is the Canadian VCI version different than the American version? I love this film and would like to know which is the best one to get.
Eric D. is offline  
post #16 of 27 Old 11-17-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RDarrylR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are 2 versions. One is the same as the US version (the VCI one with UPC 089859900129). The other crappy one is in green packinging from Morningstar (UPC of 063634023586). Brick and Mortar stores in Canada likely only have the crappy version.

The bad one looks like this:

http://www.morningstarent.com/produc...8ca0e458b2.jpg


The good one looks like this:

http://www.cinemaclock.com/images/dv...stmas_caro.jpg
RDarrylR is offline  
post #17 of 27 Old 11-17-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nick_danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, I will certainly pick this one up! (the good one) I remember being so scared by the ghosts as a kid!
nick_danger is offline  
post #18 of 27 Old 11-17-2009, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Timothy Ramzyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: milwaukee
Posts: 3,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

Does the video section in this review describe what you're seeing? I haven't received the Blu-ray yet so I couldn't say.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Chri...y-Review/6118/

yes it does
Timothy Ramzyk is offline  
post #19 of 27 Old 11-17-2009, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
yep. same thing, with my settup it looks like old fashioned "combing" when a video source was in film mode on my old progressive scan dvd player.
Dave Mack is offline  
post #20 of 27 Old 11-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
Eric D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDarrylR View Post

There are 2 versions. One is the same as the US version (the VCI one with UPC 089859900129). The other crappy one is in green packinging from Morningstar (UPC of 063634023586). Brick and Mortar stores in Canada likely only have the crappy version.

The bad one looks like this:

http://www.morningstarent.com/produc...8ca0e458b2.jpg


The good one looks like this:

http://www.cinemaclock.com/images/dv...stmas_caro.jpg

Thanks for the info!
Eric D. is offline  
post #21 of 27 Old 12-06-2009, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PRO-630HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Okay, there is some shimmering and frame skips. Looks good though. The 5.1 is funky, like someone put the mono channel through a 5 channels like some receivers do. This should be a essentially mono audio with some directionalization added to the mix like on like on North by Northwest. I generally don't mind at all new 5.1 mixes. This one I am not keen on though.
PRO-630HD is offline  
post #22 of 27 Old 12-06-2009, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rlsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 5,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

Okay, there is some shimmering and frame skips. Looks good though. The 5.1 is funky, like someone put the mono channel through a 5 channels like some receivers do. This should be a essentially mono audio with some directionalization added to the mix like on like on North by Northwest. I generally don't mind at all new 5.1 mixes. This one I am not keen on though.

The music for NbNW was originally recorded in magnetic stereo, which formed the basis for the stereo version. OTOH, A Christmas Carol would have had no such elements, considering its age.
rlsmith is offline  
post #23 of 27 Old 12-06-2009, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rlsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 5,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is a very convincing catalog Blu-ray of a very good film of one of the greatest stories ever written. I will watch it every year.
rlsmith is offline  
post #24 of 27 Old 12-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
mzupeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It does look quite good for a film that's this old (yes, I have seen the Blu-ray in motion). The only problem is the already reported 'frame dropping' issue in the encode, other than that, it's pretty impressive. Occasionally the grain can look like digital noise but, it's really a decent transfer overall.
mzupeman is offline  
post #25 of 27 Old 12-07-2009, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PRO-630HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Okay I checked into this a bit more, luckily the dvd is included as well and qute frankly has superior audio across the board. For starters the 5.1 mix on the bluray is all jacked up. No kidding they have taken the mono audio and pumped it through 4 channels including the rears except this is really a 4.1 mix. There is no sound coming out of the center channel. Go to chapter 2 at the exchange. Scrooge talking to the other businessmen and Scrooges dialogue is coming out o the rear channels as well the front left and right. Now going to the dvd the 5.1 mix is much better the dialogue is spread over the front 3 channels and the rears are used for ambient effects like the background noise of the exchange in chapter 2. Luckily the dvd is included and the option is there to play both and sync the audio from the dvd to the bluray. The bluray also plays much louder. Adding in the 4db dial norm it is still 8-10db louder than the dvd.
PRO-630HD is offline  
post #26 of 27 Old 12-07-2009, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

Okay I checked into this a bit more, luckily the dvd is included as well and qute frankly has superior audio across the board. For starters the 5.1 mix on the bluray is all jacked up. No kidding they have taken the mono audio and pumped it through 4 channels including the rears except this is really a 4.1 mix. There is no sound coming out of the center channel. Go to chapter 2 at the exchange. Scrooge talking to the other businessmen and Scrooges dialogue is coming out o the rear channels as well the front left and right. Now going to the dvd the 5.1 mix is much better the dialogue is spread over the front 3 channels and the rears are used for ambient effects like the background noise of the exchange in chapter 2. Luckily the dvd is included and the option is there to play both and sync the audio from the dvd to the bluray. The bluray also plays much louder. Adding in the 4db dial norm it is still 8-10db louder than the dvd.

Yeah they really botched the sound on the 5.1. The whole first 20 minutes or so sounds like it's phasing. And the stuttering frame thing that looks like combing is distracting.
Dave Mack is offline  
post #27 of 27 Old 12-07-2009, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Diego, CA USA
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

got it tonight and skipped around some scenes. I noticed in a few places what looked like ghosting ...

Not surprising considering this is a movie with ghosts in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Most of the shot where Scrooge and Marley speak together is affected too.

See, I think I may be on to something here...

(sorry couldn't resist)
thorr is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off