Love Actually - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 11-12-2009, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I read somewhere (I thought it was on AVS) that some of the music was changed for Love Actually. Was anything else besides the Kelly Clarkson song changed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 11-12-2009, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

I read somewhere (I thought it was on AVS) that some of the music was changed for Love Actually. Was anything else besides the Kelly Clarkson song changed?

The Kelly Clarkson song is still there.
post #3 of 36 Old 11-13-2009, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was wrong it was on blu-ray.com

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=120842

The office party scene supposedly has different music at around the 1hr 5min mark.
post #4 of 36 Old 11-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
WTF....this is one of my all-time favorite movies. I pre-ordered as soon as it was available.....expecting I would be getting an HD version of my US DVD...??? Haven't had a chance to watch because of busy weekends - will be anxious to hear more on this...

Wyatt
post #5 of 36 Old 11-13-2009, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

I've watched it probably a dozen times before I got the BD, and honestly I didn't notice the music change.
post #6 of 36 Old 11-13-2009, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtwstr View Post

I've watched it probably a dozen times before I got the BD, and honestly I didn't notice the music change.

So it is true that the music changed?
post #7 of 36 Old 11-13-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Son of a *****. Now I have to watch this film now, this weekend, instead of on Christmas Eve with my wife. If Universal screwed us I am going to write go to their ofice and scream bloody murder.

Well, not really, but **** YOU Universal if this is true!

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #8 of 36 Old 11-13-2009, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Son of a *****. Now I have to watch this film now, this weekend, instead of on Christmas Eve with my wife. If Universal screwed us I am going to write go to their ofice and scream bloody murder.

You don't have to watch the whole movie, just skip to the office party at around 1hr 5 min to confirm.

I believe the music for this scene was changed too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05nXkNxKkW4
post #9 of 36 Old 11-13-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtwstr View Post

You sure watched it more times than me! I doubt any important music was changed. I watched the BD just a few days ago. If some background noise and music changed, it breezed past me.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #10 of 36 Old 11-13-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Would you rather they just shelved films where they can't get the music rights? What wrath have you for Mu-sick Kompanies? ....that don't play ball?

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #11 of 36 Old 11-13-2009, 11:09 AM

Liked: 10
The music has always been an issue with this film. My friend, who runs film in his house, has a UK print of the movie and MUCH of the music is different, save for "Christmas is All Around" and "Both Sides Now," obviously.

Blu-Ray: 489
HD DVD: 187
post #12 of 36 Old 11-13-2009, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by win200 View Post

The music has always been an issue with this film. My friend, who runs film in his house, has a UK print of the movie and MUCH of the music is different, save for "Christmas is All Around" and "Both Sides Now," obviously.

Unless he has some super secret workprint of an early rough cut with temp music, I doubt all that much was changed. One of the bonus features on the disc is Richard Curtis explaining why he picked the music that he did, as demonstrated with clips from the movie. I doubt he would have done that if they were all tracks he didn't want.

I might buy that one song in the background of one scene is different. But I've seen the movie a few times in the past, and I'll be damned if anything stood out to me here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

I believe the music for this scene was changed too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05nXkNxKkW4

The Blu-ray plays "Jump" at that scene as well. Are you claiming that there's supposed to be a different song playing? Kind of hard to believe that, considering that Grant is dancing around in time with the song and singing its lyrics.

Is the Blu-ray allegedly different than the existing DVD, or just different than someone's memory of the theatrical release? I think this is all much ado about nothing.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #13 of 36 Old 11-13-2009, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm just going by comments on the blu-ray.com forum, as I do not have the BD yet.

Quote:

I just got my Blu-Ray copy of Love Actually today. I noticed one HUGE difference between the DVD and the Blu-Ray. During the scene with the company office party and the scene leading up to it showing shots of London on the DVD the song is Kelly Clarksons "The Trouble With Love Is" and on the Blu-Ray it's a totally different song. I have no idea which song it is but I compared it to the DVD and it's clearly a different song.

Quote:

My understanding of this is that the only difference in the music up till now was with Jump by The Pointer Sisters and the Girls Aloud cover of it that plays at the very end.

As I said, I do not have the BD so I'm just trying to find out. I'm not saying that's what's changed but trying to see if these comments are true or not. If it's just music during the credits that has changed then I do not care.
post #14 of 36 Old 11-13-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by win200 View Post

If by MUCH you include, the little girl not singing that Mariah Carey song "All I Want For Christmas"...that would be stunning & blasphemous.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #15 of 36 Old 11-13-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

If by MUCH you include, the little girl not singing that Mariah Carey song "All I Want For Christmas"...that would be stunning & blasphemous.

Ah, right you are. That is the same.

post #16 of 36 Old 11-13-2009, 11:41 PM

It's all true. On the dvd the song "Too Lost In You" by Sugababes replaces "Jump"by Girls Aloud during the end credits. It is this song that is heard during the first part of the party scene on the blu-ray. The dvd had Kelly Clarkson during that scene.
Is it possible that the dvd was changed, and the blu-ray is the same as the theatrical version? One song is missing from the dvd but the blu-ray has all the songs at some point in the film.
post #17 of 36 Old 11-15-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

It could also be the BD is accurate to the original UK release and the DVD was accurate to the US release; music cues like that change all the time as do the end credit sequences themselves (they're completely different on the US and UK releases of Bridget Jones's Diary.)
post #18 of 36 Old 11-18-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

It could also be the BD is accurate to the original UK release and the DVD was accurate to the US release; music cues like that change all the time as do the end credit sequences themselves (they're completely different on the US and UK releases of Bridget Jones's Diary.)

That's a good possibility. I thought it was very strange when I put my US-purchased Blu-Ray in and had to choose English from a long list of languages before the movie would start and then it showed the Studio Canal logo instead of Universal. Seems like a European disc has been used worldwide for this movie and that may be the reason the music is different.
post #19 of 36 Old 11-18-2009, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter02 View Post

That's a good possibility. I thought it was very strange when I put my US-purchased Blu-Ray in and had to choose English from a long list of languages before the movie would start and then it showed the Studio Canal logo instead of Universal. Seems like a European disc has been used worldwide for this movie and that may be the reason the music is different.

That must be a Canadian thing, as the US disc has the same silly Universal logo and "screen saver" everywhere.

(For example, if you pause the film for more than a few minutes, the screen shot will disappear replaced with an animated Universal logo…)
post #20 of 36 Old 11-18-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomezfan69 View Post

It's all true. On the dvd the song "Too Lost In You" by Sugababes replaces "Jump"by Girls Aloud during the end credits. It is this song that is heard during the first part of the party scene on the blu-ray. The dvd had Kelly Clarkson during that scene.
Is it possible that the dvd was changed, and the blu-ray is the same as the theatrical version? One song is missing from the dvd but the blu-ray has all the songs at some point in the film.

The US theatrical version had Craig Armstrong's music throughout the end credits. The UK version finished with "Jump" by Girls Aloud.

post #21 of 36 Old 11-18-2009, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Love Actually is the must watching title lists in the greeting season.
post #22 of 36 Old 11-18-2009, 09:59 PM

If the US theatrical version had instrumental music during the end credits, then it's odd that the US dvd had two pop songs over them. In any event I guess we've indeed got the UK version on the blu-ray. On one hand I'm glad that we have the "original" version as Richard Curtis wanted it. On the other hand I really don't care for "Too Lost In You". I think Kelly Clarkson's song is much better.
post #23 of 36 Old 11-19-2009, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Hang on - they included the Kelly Clarkson music video on the disc, but it isn't even in the movie any longer?
post #24 of 36 Old 11-20-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

That must be a Canadian thing, as the US disc has the same silly Universal logo and "screen saver" everywhere.

(For example, if you pause the film for more than a few minutes, the screen shot will disappear replaced with an animated Universal logo…)

But did you have to select a language before the film played the first time? I do have the Universal logo on the main menu, but before the menu loads and before the movie starts it plays the Studio Canal logo. I've never seen the screen saver.
post #25 of 36 Old 11-20-2009, 02:19 PM

The Kelly Clarkson song still plays during the end credits after "God Only Knows", just not during the party scene.
post #26 of 36 Old 11-21-2009, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter02 View Post

But did you have to select a language before the film played the first time? I do have the Universal logo on the main menu, but before the menu loads and before the movie starts it plays the Studio Canal logo. I've never seen the screen saver.

Yes.

Also, the Studio Canal logo is one of several logos that plays at the head of the movie.
post #27 of 36 Old 11-21-2009, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched this tonight on blu for the first time. Just keeps getting better and better every time i see it...and yeah, I still cry.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #28 of 36 Old 11-22-2009, 06:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My wife and I loved this movie, actually! It was a blind buy and one of my best purchases all year.

Mark
post #29 of 36 Old 11-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

This is my wife's and mine absolute favorite movie of all time. And we regularly listen to the soundtrack CD. I'm happy that there was no discernable music difference during the movie. As for the end credits I don't know - I just know that listening to the CD we know which parts of the movie the music is from.....

Watched it tonight on BD. With a bottle of our favorite, special wine. Life is good!

Wyatt
post #30 of 36 Old 10-04-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

The new version is the US version. It's been corrected.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Love Actually Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Love by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page