Bruce Lee Movies are all on Blue-Ray!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 75 Old 11-28-2009, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looks like a Hong Kong distributor has released all of the Bruce Lee movies on Blu-Ray. I can't comment on quality, but they have released all of them. Here are the links:

The Big Boss (USA - Fists of Fury)
http://www.asianblurayguide.com/deta...ng_kong_china/
Review: http://martialartsonbluray.blogspot.com/

Fists of Fury (USA - The Chinese Connection)

Way of the Dragon ( USA - Return of the Dragon)

Enter The Dragon

They are all Region A so they should play fine on all USA players. The Big Boss had a single decent review, but I was unable to find anything else. All with English Subtitles.

I ordered (by their Chinese Names) "The Way of The Dragon" and "Fists of Fury". Those 2 have always been my favorites. I also saw these available for sale on e-bay. I wonder why I have not seen any reviews?

Once I get my titles I will post reviews for all.

My equipment:
Samsung HLP5688W ISF Calibrated
Samsung BDP-1200 Blu-ray Player
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD
Denon AVR-3600

Panasonic TH-50PZ800U ISF Calibrated
Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray Player
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD
Denon AVR-2307
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 11-28-2009, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for misspelling Blu-Ray in the title folks:-)
post #3 of 75 Old 11-28-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Lots of heavy filtering and DNR on them all, so buyer beware. They are not all that great and they do not include the original mono tracks.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #4 of 75 Old 11-28-2009, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Are they better than the very rank non- anamorphic DVDs that have been going around?
post #5 of 75 Old 11-28-2009, 07:49 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Lots of heavy filtering and DNR on them all, so buyer beware. They are not all that great and they do not include the original mono tracks.

Agreed.

The HK release of Enter the dragon doesn't even feature the original English audio track.
post #6 of 75 Old 11-28-2009, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefres View Post

Are they better than the very rank non- anamorphic DVDs that have been going around?

These new BD releases are no better than this.

http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Ultimate...9423405&sr=8-1

This set was released 4 years ago after the crappy FOX set was discontinued.
Their direct ports of the R3 HK release with both Mandarin (original) and Cantonese tracks and a crappy English DTS track. I think they look better than the HKL R2 release.
post #7 of 75 Old 11-28-2009, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone actually have these BR titles, or is this just speculation? In terms of the audio tracks, lets face it...we want these for the action sequences, not the cheesy dialog
post #8 of 75 Old 11-28-2009, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

The "Fist of Fury" disc has some screen shots attached. Though it's not super sharp, it's the best looking transfer of this film I have ever seen (and I've seen them all).
http://www.asianblurayguide.com/capt...ng_kong_china/
post #9 of 75 Old 11-28-2009, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone actually have these BR titles, or is this just speculation? In terms of the audio tracks, lets face it...we want these for the action sequences, not the cheesy dialog

My friend had both FoF and BB. I borrowed them and I couldn't tell the difference between them and the boxset. BB looked better than FoF. If you really want them you should wait for the eventual release here. Their going to be the same port as the Celestial release as was the case with the old SD version. They should be way cheaper than what their charging now.
post #10 of 75 Old 11-28-2009, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Just saw screen shots taken on FOF, BB, and WOTD. Here's my opinion:

All have a little DNR, but are definite improvements (mostly resolution) over "Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection" which I also own. When you up-convert DVD to 1080p TVs they also have annoying artifacts around the black bars as well as aspects of the picture as well.

The Big Boss: Looks the best. In fact I would agree that it looks damn good. That's probably because most of the shots are outside and resolution looks like typical film to HD transfers with minimal DNR.

Fist of Fury: Is a little softer, but still much nicer than the BLUC with increased resolution one would expect with a straight Film to HD transfer. Best I've ever seen it look.

Way of The Dragon: Is about the the same as FOF. The focus problems are from the original film, so there is nothing that can be done about it. Still best I've ever seen it look.

These titles are so low on the totem pole tat I would not expect to see them done in HD anytime soon. I have sen all of these on HDNet and the blurays are a bit nicer. I have found them for as low as $29 a little, so that's not too outrageous. Serious Bruce Lee fans will probably want these and in my opinion they are worth it.

Here's a link to the thread with the screen shots. Make sure to look at the second set for WOTD:

http://adg.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=3068

Big Boss DVD, MPEG, Bluray comparison:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare4/bigboss.htm
post #11 of 75 Old 11-28-2009, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

FYI I'm not just going by screenshots, I actually watched them. There was no sign of any appreciable DNR. I was actually shocked at how good they looked. I can't imagine them looking any better.

That's why I'm gettin' them....rockin good news.
post #12 of 75 Old 11-29-2009, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Good grief. I saw them at 120 inches and they were filtered and noise reduced. Flat out. There is no question of this. So I passed. I let my rather rich friend waste his money on them. He buys everything because he's loaded.

Me... I have to watch what I spend on BD so no way am I going to spring for these after seeing them for myself. They are crap. Yeah, they look better than the DVD's, but so what? The improvements are not all tjhat huge and the soundtracks SUCK. The remixes are just horrid.

These films deserve better.

post #13 of 75 Old 11-29-2009, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good grief. I saw them at 120 inches and they were filtered and noise reduced. Flat out. There is no question of this. So I passed. I let my rather rich friend waste his money on them. He buys everything because he's loaded.

Me... I have to watch what I spend on BD so no way am I going to spring for these after seeing them for myself. They are crap. Yeah, they look better than the DVD's, but so what? The improvements are not all tjhat huge and the soundtracks SUCK. The remixes are just horrid.

These films deserve better.

I agree. Their not worth it; especially at the price their asking for. Like I stated earlier these discs will be available here sooner or later. Probably in a boxset and a lot cheaper. But it's your money so you should go for it if you must have them. BTW, have you tried looking for them in SF Chinatown? I saw them there.

The only Bruce Lee film worth getting on BD is ETD.
post #14 of 75 Old 11-29-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Seems we have a dramatic difference of opinion. Should be getting them this week. Will be viewing at 106". I'll throw another opinion into the pot.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #15 of 75 Old 11-29-2009, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post

I agree. Their not worth it; especially at the price their asking for. Like I stated earlier these discs will be available here sooner or later. Probably in a boxset and a lot cheaper. But it's your money so you should go for it if you must have them. BTW, have you tried looking for them in SF Chinatown? I saw them there.

The only Bruce Lee film worth getting on BD is ETD.

All true Bruce Lee die-hards would probably disagree, and I really doubt they will be done again in HD for quite some time.

The DVDs are frankly too soft for me an I hate upconverts.
post #16 of 75 Old 11-29-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All true Bruce Lee die-hards would probably disagree, and I really doubt they will be done again in HD for quite some time.

The DVDs are frankly too soft for me an I hate upconverts.

I consider myself a die hard fan. I have all his films and I hung out with Linda at the Oakland Raiders game a couple of weeks ago. I don't know how much more die hard that is.
post #17 of 75 Old 11-29-2009, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I consider myself a die hard fan. I have all his films and I hung out with Linda at the Oakland Raiders game a couple of weeks ago. I don't know how much more die hard that is.

That's pretty die hard You should ask her to nudge them a little on priority of the time-line of the US remaster process!

I'm also a die hard Jackie Chan fan and I've yet to see many decent transfers of those movies to DVD or Bluray. I think that the HK films are very low of the priority list when it comes to film restore and digital transfers
post #18 of 75 Old 11-29-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A lot of people just don't care about DNR. Some like it because the hate 'grain' so much. Never mind grain is the detail on 35mm film. Still many more don't care that these films have the sound completely redone with no care in the world to make them sound decent or at all like the originals.

I'm picky. Always have been and always will be, but I have a special love for Hong Kong cinema and make acceptions all the time. Not this time. No way. They are just not worth the premium pricing. For $10 or even $15m, yeah, I might go for them. Maybe.

post #19 of 75 Old 11-29-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For $10 or even $15m, yeah, I might go for them. Maybe.

I believe that is what they will be going for once they are released here on BD.
post #20 of 75 Old 11-29-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm also a die hard Jackie Chan fan and I've yet to see many decent transfers of those movies to DVD or Bluray. I think that the HK films are very low of the priority list when it comes to film restore and digital transfers

You can blame Dragon Dynasty for that. They hold most of the rights here. They don't give a crap on how they release Asian films here. Look at the last release of Fist of Legend. I was hoping that would be a good release and it turned out to be crap.
post #21 of 75 Old 11-29-2009, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You can blame Dragon Dynasty for that. They hold most of the rights here. They don't give a crap on how they release Asian films here. Look at the last release of Fist of Legend. I was hoping that would be a good release and it turned out to be crap.

Drunken Master 2 (legend of the Drunken Master) was also pretty poorly done. When the US copies finally come out (not holding my breath) they will most likely come from these same digital masters.
post #22 of 75 Old 11-29-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The Big Boss is really quite excellent considering it's age and the conditions it was shot in. The safest buy by far.

Fist of Fury definitely has some filtering going on. The result is that slight oil painting look and hazy grain. Still quite watchable though.
post #23 of 75 Old 11-29-2009, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes. I'm checking out Way of the Dragon right now and it does look worse than the previous two. I don't even want to look at Enter the Dragon now. Looks like they went downhill with each film. Big Boss is definitely one to get though.

And really the others are not that bad either. I'd say closer to Planet of the Apes or Predator 2 level DNR. Which is to say noticeable but not extreme.

I would stay away from the HK Enter the Dragon version. It's a US Warner movie and the Bluray/HD-DVD is top notch. I have seen some screen shots that indicate that they were using an inferior master in the transfer.
post #24 of 75 Old 11-29-2009, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Although the Warner disc also has the infamous jaggies. And some of their own standard filtering too.

I guess my expectations were so low that those things don't really matter I just think overall it's a great transfer.

I think the general point I was making with this thread is that these HD transfers (Enter the Dragon excluded) are the best presentations of these movies to date. I didn't even know they existed on bluray...and now I'm ticked pink and wanted to share the info.
post #25 of 75 Old 11-29-2009, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Drunken Master 2 (legend of the Drunken Master) was also pretty poorly done. When the US copies finally come out (not holding my breath) they will most likely come from these same digital masters.

- I don't have any hope for The Legend of Drunken Master. Miramax absolutely butchered the film. The ending was cut, scenes were removed, the music was changed and most important, there is no Cantonese dialog track.
post #26 of 75 Old 11-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

All things considered, the Big Boss really is a fantastic transfer.
post #27 of 75 Old 11-30-2009, 12:03 AM

Bought 3 Bruce Lee Blu Ray from Hong Kong. "The Big Boss", " Fist of Fury" are pretty soft but watchable. I skipped "Enter the Dragon" as I already got it on HDDVD. But the 4th movie" Enter the Dragon", I could not imagine just how "out of focus" it can get with a high definition Blu Ray release....the first scene with Bruce wondering in the airport and getting into the car with the lead lady was really bad...it's unbelievable!

Fortunately, things got better after that.

(Audio)
post #28 of 75 Old 11-30-2009, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
a friend of mine brought over fist of fury when he came back from hong kong. i popped it in and was very disappointed. it basically looks like an upscaled dvd.

if you enjoy this kind of quality then better stick to dvd. bruce lee deserves much better quality releases then this ( not including enter the dragon USA release, which was pretty good )
post #29 of 75 Old 11-30-2009, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- I don't have any hope for The Legend of Drunken Master. Miramax absolutely butchered the film. The ending was cut, scenes were removed, the music was changed and most important, there is no Cantonese dialog track.

Not that this excuses Miramax's dubbing or music changes, but for the record:

My original notes for the 2000 theatrical release of LoDM, compared to whatever HK-derived video source I had at the time -- probably a tape of the Laserdisc -- showed no more (and possibly less) than 10-12 seconds difference in timing (scene to scene), prior to that final scene. That is, I couldn't find any other "removed" scenes. And, while on the whole I'm a purist, I can't help but applaud that final omission, since I thought the scene was so horrible that it cast a pall on what is otherwise a masterpiece. In fact, while interviewing Jackie some time in the mid- to late nineties, I urged him not to roll over every time New Line or Miramax cut scenes out based on *some* moron's assumption about what would or wouldn't play for American audiences. He kept saying (in essence), "Well, I know what works in Hong Kong, but I don't know what works in America. They know more about that than I do. And New Line will tell me that Miramax is handling it wrong, and Miramax will tell me that New Line is handling it wrong. So I leave it up to my manager."

While I was urging him to not to let them chop the films up for the U.S., I made one exception -- the final scene in DM2. I'm sure other people must have told him the same, since, as far as I can tell, that ended up being the only real cut they made. (And I am not deluded enough to think that anybody is making these decisions based solely on some passing remark I made in the middle of a 45-minute interview.) For me, that "Special Olympics" joke truly belongs in the Special Features, not in the film.

If one of the other HK fanatics here can point to other missing scenes, I retract the above and apologize.
post #30 of 75 Old 11-30-2009, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

a friend of mine brought over fist of fury when he came back from hong kong. i popped it in and was very disappointed. it basically looks like an upscaled dvd.

if you enjoy this kind of quality then better stick to dvd. bruce lee deserves much better quality releases then this ( not including enter the dragon USA release, which was pretty good )

I have the best of the DVDs for this movie and though the HD transfer is relatively soft, it is clean and represents the best available edition of the movie and is sharper image than the DVD. Here's the comparison:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCom...fistoffury.htm

I agree that Bruce Lee's movies deserve better treatment, but this is the best so far.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page