Godfather and Godfather II Sapphire Series - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 11-29-2009, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
High Def Digest lists a February 2, 2010 release date for the Godfather and Godfather II: The Coppola Restoration Sapphire Series. Amazon has both of these listed for pre-order at $27.99 each. Will these versions be different from what is offered in the Godfather Trilogy set?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-29-2009, 09:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 391
My guess is these are just the individual releases.

post #3 of 27 Old 11-29-2009, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Sapphire series scare me. Its certainly not an indication of quality. Could look great, or could look terrible.
post #4 of 27 Old 11-29-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

A guess, so no help here whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

Sapphire series scare me. Its certainly not an indication of quality. Could look great, or could look terrible.

Covering all your bases, so even less help here.

Please help me understand the value of these posts? I don't like the previous HD release of the Godfather series, regardless of the reviews. I'd also like to know if these are new transfers. But guesses, speculation, and saying they could look great or could look terrible are unbelievably useless. Am I missing something here. Or is there some real value to these posts that could actually help answer the original question??
post #5 of 27 Old 11-29-2009, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

No one here has a crystal ball or access to Paramount decision-makers, so educated guesses are all you're going to get.

You may not like the existing Godfather BD releases for whatever reason, but they were critically acclaimed and are said to be extremely faithful to the original films, so there is little to no motivation for Paramount to change anything. My educated guess is that they are simply releasing the first two more popular films separately to capitalize on the sales they may have missed with the 3-pack. Take it or leave it.
post #6 of 27 Old 11-29-2009, 09:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysam View Post

Am I missing something here.

Yes, A LOT. You obviously are completely unaware of the work that went into restoring these films and how they look phenomenal given the circumstances. There is no way these movies are going to look better on BD.

http://efilmcritic.com/feature.php?feature=2566

post #7 of 27 Old 11-30-2009, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Yes, A LOT. You obviously are completely unaware of the work that went into restoring these films and how they look phenomenal given the circumstances. There is no way these movies are going to look better on BD.
http://efilmcritic.com/feature.php?feature=2566

I agree. No need to double-dip or whatever. Pass.
post #8 of 27 Old 11-30-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:

Please help me understand the value of these posts? I don't like the previous HD release of the Godfather series, regardless of the reviews. I'd also like to know if these are new transfers. But guesses, speculation, and saying they could look great or could look terrible are unbelievably useless. Am I missing something here. Or is there some real value to these posts that could actually help answer the original question??

There is zero chance or reason for there to be new transfers. Of course these will be the same as the box set. If you didn't like the previous release, then you wouldn't have liked their original theatrical run either.
post #9 of 27 Old 11-30-2009, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The Godfather looked great on it's initial Blu Ray release.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #10 of 27 Old 11-30-2009, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It seems you are right. I should have known from the title when it mentioned the Coppola Restoration which is the same as the Trilogy pack. After a little bit more digging, I found this article on blu-ray.com

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3647

Paramount Home Entertainment has announced that the next two titles in their Sapphire Series Blu-ray releases will be individual releases of 'The Godfather: Sapphire Series' and 'The Godfather: Part II - Sapphire Series'. Original only available as part of the 'The Godfather Collection: The Coppola Restoration', the discs will be identical to those original releases.

Notably missing from the announcement is individual releases for 'The Godfather: Part III' and the fourth disc from the set which features a ton of bonus material. Many collectors were waiting for individual releases due to the inclusion of 'The Godfather: Part III' in the original set, which is generally seen as the weakest of the three films.

Both 'The Godfather' and 'The Godfather: Part II' Sapphire Series Blu-ray individual releases will be available on February 2nd.
post #11 of 27 Old 11-30-2009, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The purpose of my post was to point out that while Paramount has marketed The Sapphire Series as being top quality, or the best BD has to offer the saphire series to date has been hit and miss.

There no reason a comment or discuss about the PQ quality of the GF 1 and GF2 as a Sapphire series can be posted in a thread tittled " Godfather and Godfather II Sapphire series . Jus because the OP had a specific question the thread can include other discussion related to the tittle.

My post certainly had more value then a post by some self proclaimed moderator.
post #12 of 27 Old 11-30-2009, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
This will be good for the folks who don't want part III and decided to wait. Like me!

I rented parts 1 & 2 just weeks after seeing them in 35mm in NYC and there is no doubt the BD's are spot on for what they are supposed to look like.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #13 of 27 Old 11-30-2009, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

If these drop to $15 each I might get them to replace the UK editions that didn't include the original mono tracks for no reason.
post #14 of 27 Old 11-30-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paku View Post

If these drop to $15 each I might get them to replace the UK editions that didn't include the original mono tracks for no reason.

Now this is some info. I might be replacing my UK release of Godfather II if I can't get it changed - it is broken as are a lot of the UK releases of Godfather II.
post #15 of 27 Old 11-30-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
These are identical to the discs that came in the trilogy except they will be stand alone releases with a slip cover so Paramount and retailers can promote 'award winning movies' in February.
post #16 of 27 Old 11-30-2009, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sweet I only really wanted godfather 1 and 2, the trilogy in canada i could only find for like 70-80 dollars.

Number 1 is by far my favorite, i also like 2, 3 is not for me.
post #17 of 27 Old 12-01-2009, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Sweet I only really wanted godfather 1 and 2, the trilogy in canada i could only find for like 70-80 dollars.

Number 1 is by far my favorite, i also like 2, 3 is not for me.

Same here, was tough to resist the set to get the first two but now I'm glad I did. This is great news, 1 and 2 will be mine.

Hope this is a trend...Godfadda I & II individual releases coming, Universal announced The Bourne individuals....AHEM, HEY SONY, think its been long enough with the Spiderman box set yet? Lets have 'em seperated already, will ya, jeezus.

My Setup | Night

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: Brubaker, Big Bang Season 6, Star Trek Into Darkness, World War Z, Iron Man 3, Halloween 35th, This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity

post #18 of 27 Old 03-10-2010, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So just to confirm the sapphire series is the same as the trilogy?

I was just reading evan powells review over at projector central (very controversial person) and he claims its terrible transfer.
post #19 of 27 Old 03-21-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:

So just to confirm the sapphire series is the same as the trilogy?

I was just reading evan powells review over at projector central (very controversial person) and he claims its terrible transfer.

Yes.

I agree. Some say done deliberate to make it appear with a certain "artsy effect of an era" but I think it is just distracting and irritating

best move for Universal-Stop transferring, mastering.If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.-Harris;
TOO LATE; Out of Africa is out-the worst ever
post #20 of 27 Old 03-21-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Godfather was a very nice restoration, considering the source material. Its not maybe what people expect it to look. But if you want a better version prepare to wait, because I dont think they can achive a better restoration then this.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #21 of 27 Old 03-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Don't believe everything you read.

The new discs are identical to the previously released box set and the first two movies look fantastic - as close to the theatrical presentation as modern home video technology can get. Whoever says they look crummy simply doesn't know what they're talking about.

The Internet has turned everybody into an instant expert on everything.

XA1 + PS3 = HD bliss
post #22 of 27 Old 03-22-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty James View Post

Don't believe everything you read.

The new discs are identical to the previously released box set and the first two movies look fantastic - as close to the theatrical presentation as modern home video technology can get. Whoever says they look crummy simply doesn't know what they're talking about.

The Internet has turned everybody into an instant expert on everything.

Having watched the laserdisc again, as well as the copy on DVD I bought when it first came out..along with the blu-ray trilogy during Christmas holidays.....I disagree. Powell is quite correct. The "quality" esp the color, reminds me of an old 8 mm film, and clearly more contrast or something was added.

...as per Swede, but it may well be that the original films are in such poor state of degradation, this will be about as good as it gets.....I have found if you turn down the contrast and brightness on your screen, it improves the movie where the "effect" is less noticeable...

As to the "newest release", it is a greedy joke or worse as nowhere does either disc explicitly say this is something identical to what you may already have and is a mere repeat Indeed the cover of the latest is about as misleading as possible.....

Thank goodness for the internet as those not investigating and having access to the internet, are getting ripped off, if they already have the trilogy and buy this without realizing it is no different!!!

best move for Universal-Stop transferring, mastering.If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.-Harris;
post #23 of 27 Old 03-22-2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVisone View Post

Thank goodness for the internet as those not investigating and having access to the internet, are getting ripped off, if they already have the trilogy and buy this without realizing it is no different!!!

They'd have to be pretty dense, though: "Oh look, a new Godfather release, on Blu-Ray. Hmm, didn't know my home copy needed upgrading but hey it's on sale, so here goes."
post #24 of 27 Old 03-22-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stwrt View Post

They'd have to be pretty dense, though: "Oh look, a new Godfather release, on Blu-Ray. Hmm, didn't know my home copy needed upgrading but hey it's on sale, so here goes."

as someone once said, one will never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the general public, but take a good look at the disc cover.

When I saw it, I thought it was a new restoration just like the final version of Fifth Element that was used/released to fix the problems of the earlier version.

The cover of the single disc even clearly talks of it being the sapphire edition, as some sort of new special edition, which is information that does NOT appear on the trilogy box set.

it was only in looking here in the forum that i realized differently

post #25 of 27 Old 03-23-2010, 10:49 AM

I bought (and then returned) the Godfather II Sapphire Series Blu Ray. It is still missing the final 10 second long musical chord at the end of the end credits sequence, just before the restoration credits sequence begins.
post #26 of 27 Old 08-02-2012, 08:46 AM

Hello! can someone please confirm me if on the 3 Godfather movies of the 2008 edition there is an option on the menu for spanish subtitles, everywhere I've looked it says that the option is available on the specifications but I read from a reviewer on amazon.com that only the 4th disc has the spanish subtitles option...Thanks!
post #27 of 27 Old 08-04-2012, 03:49 PM

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabgon View Post

Hello! can someone please confirm me if on the 3 Godfather movies of the 2008 edition there is an option on the menu for spanish subtitles, everywhere I've looked it says that the option is available on the specifications but I read from a reviewer on amazon.com that only the 4th disc has the spanish subtitles option...Thanks!
I just checked the first two films, and yes - there is an option for Spanish subtitles.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page