post #181 of 311 Old 01-26-2010, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlwl View Post

Thats exactly what I've been thinking. I don't know what this guys problem is. This has the same chance as any domestic US release of causing a problem sheesh.

Yes, but if it were a domestic US release, it can be easily returned. But if this has problem, I have to ship this back all the way to UK. Don't know how that works.

I may be paranoid, but at least I bit the bullet and purchased it. My friend is still pondering as of now....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 311 Old 01-26-2010, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

Yes, but if it were a domestic US release, it can be easily returned. But if this has problem, I have to ship this back all the way to UK. Don't know how that works.

I may be paranoid, but at least I bit the bullet and purchased it. My friend is still pondering as of now....

If it helps i'll probably get it tomorrow. the subtitles wont really bother me at all i dont think.

just to be sure, the converted amount is what my CC will be charged, right? no extra fees later?
post #183 of 311 Old 01-26-2010, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Tomorrow already? That's fast. My delivery estimate is 2/4-2/10, which is not too bad considered it's coming from the UK.

Yes....I assume the converted amount is what will be charged. No fees. I believe that's the point of using the converter.

And I appreciate all of you bearing with me here. I apologize if I asked all those questions earlier, but I've never ordered anything outside the US before. So I heartily appreciate the help you all gave. Thank you.
post #184 of 311 Old 01-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I just emailed Amazon UK and they responded rather quickly. Unfortunately, I can’t use my Amex gift card. They only accept credit cards. Darn!

I've used Amex and Visa Gift Cards on Amazon before... You just have to put the user's name as whatever it says on the card.
For Visa I put 'A GIFT FOR YOU'.

Ðave -
It was technically a single shenanigan, more like a hijink...

post #185 of 311 Old 01-27-2010, 03:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Let's move on. MrHT you've been helped and have order the set...no need to post anymore on the topic.

To the rest, let's drop it.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #186 of 311 Old 01-27-2010, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey everyone, just wanted to say thanks for all your help. Just purchased it from amazon uk for $30.78 (went up $.02 since yesterday ).

Excited to watch them!
post #187 of 311 Old 01-27-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert View Post

My combos worked fine....

I have a pile of combo HD-DVD's and I have only had issues with one, and that one was fine after I washed it off with a little dish detergent. Apparently it had something on it...
post #188 of 311 Old 01-28-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarplayer View Post

I have a pile of combo HD-DVD's and I have only had issues with one, and that one was fine after I washed it off with a little dish detergent. Apparently it had something on it...

Residue on the discs (on even non-combos) were the reason I got errors on a few discs. Scrubbing with a wet cotton ball seemed to get the residue off.
post #189 of 311 Old 01-28-2010, 12:56 PM

Liked: 12
I think maybe half a dozen of my HD DVDs are combos. I watched the combo HD DVD of The Bourne Ultimatum last weekend and it played flawlessly. I am not particularly bothered by Blu-ray combos, but I would never have requested them.
post #190 of 311 Old 01-29-2010, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

hey all, just trying to confirm for a friend that the SD extra material is in PAL and doesnt work on US BR players.

i never (literally, i never ever) watch extras so i dont care, hah.

thanks
post #191 of 311 Old 01-29-2010, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test123455 View Post

hey all, just trying to confirm for a friend that the SD extra material is in PAL and doesnt work on US BR players.

i never (literally, i never ever) watch extras so i dont care, hah.

thanks

Good god, how many times will this be asked? Everything on the UK Bourne trilogy BD discs will play in US machines! Region Free! NTSC! Not PAL!
post #192 of 311 Old 01-29-2010, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Reloaded View Post

Good god, how many times will this be asked? Everything on the UK Bourne trilogy BD discs will play in US machines! Region Free! NTSC! Not PAL!

Sorry, i checked back a couple pages and when MrHT asked no one answered. Thanks!
post #193 of 311 Old 01-30-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Amazing! My set arrived today....three days after it was shipped. I'm speechless. Amazon UK is even faster than Amazon US.
post #194 of 311 Old 01-30-2010, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Amazing! My set arrived today....three days after it was shipped. I'm speechless. Amazon UK is even faster than Amazon US.

Wow, really? I ordered mine two days before you did and still haven't received it yet.

Oh well, hope you enjoy it!

~kyle
post #195 of 311 Old 01-30-2010, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Anyone who bought the UK set should stop worrying and just relax and if you're on the fence, jump on the deal and order now. I just watched the first two and forgot how entertaining these movies were. And they looked great (even Identity I thought looked great and it usually gets downgraded on PQ) and man, I'm telling you the sounded amazing. The car chase in Supremacy is demo material and even subtler surround situations thought the film made you feel like your were sitting in the room. And not one issue with playback on my OPPO BDP-83.

post #196 of 311 Old 01-31-2010, 08:00 AM

I'm a little concerned about this subtitle/on-screen text issue from the UK. It was mentioned a few pages back and downplayed by some. Perhaps now that a few more of you have actually seen the UK version, you might offer some comments.

From reading prior posts, there seem to be two issues:
1. Subtitles that appear on screen when a foreign language is spoken. These are generated by the player and are not burned in as they should be.
2. The text line that identifies a city location or time. These should appear as a ticker-tape line of type accompanied by sound effects. In two of the UK versions, the ticker-tape is replaced by an all-at-once text even thought the sound effects remain. This must be strange disconnect and is my biggest concern. How many times does it happen? Once or twice may be one thing. Five or six times is another story.
post #197 of 311 Old 01-31-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by R o d View Post

I'm a little concerned about this subtitle/on-screen text issue from the UK. It was mentioned a few pages back and downplayed by some. Perhaps now that a few more of you have actually seen the UK version, you might offer some comments.

From reading prior posts, there seem to be two issues:
1. Subtitles that appear on screen when a foreign language is spoken. These are generated by the player and are not burned in as they should be.
2. The text line that identifies a city location or time. These should appear as a ticker-tape line of type accompanied by sound effects. In two of the UK versions, the ticker-tape is replaced by an all-at-once text even thought the sound effects remain. This must be strange disconnect and is my biggest concern. How many times does it happen? Once or twice may be one thing. Five or six times is another story.

To tell you the truth, I never even noticed and I really think it's a non-issue. All the subtitles displayed fine and were seamless in the first two I just watched. Of course, that could be because I just mentioned, having not seen these films since they first came out I was totally immersed in them. I would say not to worry.

post #198 of 311 Old 01-31-2010, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Just as I figured, I’m not satisfied with these UK imports. Here is my problem….

While my player had no problem loading these UK discs, it seems to have some kind of allergic reaction to the way the discs were authored. First, The Bourne Identity disc froze and locked up when I loaded one of the extras. I rebooted my player and the extra played fine. Was a weird problem, but I let that slide. Then I tried The Bourne Supremacy. I encountered one random audio stutter in the beginning and one random pixilation at the end during the car chase scene. These were random because when I replayed the scenes again, they played fine.

My player almost never has these problems on U.S. discs (even Universal ones) so I know it has to do with the authoring process they use on the UK. I rented The Bourne Identity from Netflix before and didn’t have these issues. I’ve also rented many other Universal discs like “Drag Me To Hell” (which is a fairly new release) and “The Unborn” (which I just rented the other day) and both of these played without any issues whatsoever. I even own “The Incredible Hulk” and “I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry” Universal US BDs and those never had any problems in my player. So, while my player many not be as good as the Oppo, PS3, or Panasonic players that people are using to play these UK imports, I’ve never had any issues playing Universal BDs from the US.

While it's obvious some people are not having problem with these discs (and I DO believe them), just be forewarned....buy these at your own risk. Most people will probably have no trouble with them, but a small percentage might. I've confirmed that not all players are fully compatible with these discs. Some are and some aren't.

I had these problems yesterday when watching them. I didn’t even bother watching The Bourne Ultimatum….I will just put them up on Ebay sometime later this week so I can get rid of these and get my money back.

And regarding the subtitles issue.....it's only on Identity and Ultimatum where the player generates the subtitles. Supremacy is not player generated. Not sure why that is so...
post #199 of 311 Old 01-31-2010, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no unique "UK authoring process." I have probably 40 UK BDs, 20 Canadian BDs, 10 Japanese BDs, and a handful of others from France, Germany, Korea, and Italy - I've never run into one with any playback trouble. And while I don't have the UK Bourne Trilogy myself (got the US version when it was first released), it is one of the most frequently imported titles because of its cheap cost, and you are the first one to report any problems with it from the various websites I frequent (here, hdd, bd.com, htf, etc.).

I would try wiping the discs with a lintfree cloth to clear any possible residue, and I'd make sure my firmware was up to date. Hopefully one of those things will fix your problem. I guess it is possible that whatever player you are using truly has an unresolved incompatibility with these titles, but everything I have ever seen on this subject points otherwise (and like I said, I'm a frequent importer).
post #200 of 311 Old 01-31-2010, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Reloaded View Post

There is no unique "UK authoring process." I have probably 40 UK BDs, 20 Canadian BDs, 10 Japanese BDs, and a handful of others from France, Germany, Korea, and Italy - I've never run into one with any playback trouble. And while I don't have the UK Bourne Trilogy myself (got the US version when it was first released), it is one of the most frequently imported titles because of its cheap cost, and you are the first one to report any problems with it from the various websites I frequent (here, hdd, bd.com, htf, etc.).

I would try wiping the discs with a lintfree cloth to clear any possible residue, and I'd make sure my firmware was up to date. Hopefully one of those things will fix your problem. I guess it is possible that whatever player you are using truly has an unresolved incompatibility with these titles, but everything I have ever seen on this subject points otherwise (and like I said, I'm a frequent importer).

Well....there is something unique in these UK discs that my player is hiccuping on. I checked the discs. They're as clean as can be.

As for my firmware, it needs no updating. I've played old and new Universal BD titles from the US and never experienced a single problem.

I've read all over the net about this UK set. 95% of people played them on their PS3. So, yes...the PS3 has no issues with these. But my Samsung player obviously does. I've played many different Blu-ray titles on my player and never encountered such an issue. I then buy imported discs on the UK and my player hiccups.

Again...from what I'm reading, I'm not denying the success that people claim they have with these discs. But all I know is that my Samsung player is not fully compatible with these. You can bad mouth my unit all you want. But I repeat, I never encountered these issues with Universal titles from the US.

And just because most players are playing these fine, it doesn't necessarily mean that there's no unique authoring process in the UK. There probably is and most players are compatible with it, which explains why you and others are having no issues with imported titles. My player, on the other hand, is not.

Regardless....these are going up on Ebay. Maybe someone whose unit can play these will be happy with them.
post #201 of 311 Old 01-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member

This is a pretty long thread. Can someone tell me if there are any differences between the UK and North American release of the Trilogy? For some odd reason, I can get the UK version cheaper than the North American release of the Trilogy. I'm tempted to go with the UK version if it's the same as the NA release.
post #202 of 311 Old 02-01-2010, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post

This is a pretty long thread. Can someone tell me if there are any differences between the UK and North American release of the Trilogy? For some odd reason, I can get the UK version cheaper than the North American release of the Trilogy. I'm tempted to go with the UK version if it's the same as the NA release.

It's on the first page - 6th posting in the thread. It was also discussed five postings before yours...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17629612

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post18040088

Ðave -
It was technically a single shenanigan, more like a hijink...

post #203 of 311 Old 02-01-2010, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMOTA View Post

Be aware that the UK version has a lower video bit rate. Probably due that UK releases usually include so many subtitle options. It didnt stop me from picking up a copy. My brother was having a hard time justifying the US price tag so I handed him my set. I'll probably pick up another set for myself.

Are you sure the UK version has a lower video bitrate? I think you're the only person to indicate that. I haven't found any source to collaborate your reporting.
post #204 of 311 Old 02-01-2010, 03:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just as I figured, I'm not satisfied with these UK imports. Here is my problem.

While my player had no problem loading these UK discs, it seems to have some kind of allergic reaction to the way the discs were authored. First, The Bourne Identity disc froze and locked up when I loaded one of the extras. I rebooted my player and the extra played fine. Was a weird problem, but I let that slide. Then I tried The Bourne Supremacy. I encountered one random audio stutter in the beginning and one random pixilation at the end during the car chase scene. These were random because when I replayed the scenes again, they played fine.

My player almost never has these problems on U.S. discs (even Universal ones) so I know it has to do with the authoring process they use on the UK. I rented The Bourne Identity from Netflix before and didn't have these issues. I've also rented many other Universal discs like Drag Me To Hell (which is a fairly new release) and The Unborn (which I just rented the other day) and both of these played without any issues whatsoever. I even own The Incredible Hulk and I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry Universal US BDs and those never had any problems in my player. So, while my player many not be as good as the Oppo, PS3, or Panasonic players that people are using to play these UK imports, I've never had any issues playing Universal BDs from the US.

While it's obvious some people are not having problem with these discs (and I DO believe them), just be forewarned....buy these at your own risk. Most people will probably have no trouble with them, but a small percentage might. I've confirmed that not all players are fully compatible with these discs. Some are and some aren't.

I had these problems yesterday when watching them. I didn't even bother watching The Bourne Ultimatum.I will just put them up on Ebay sometime later this week so I can get rid of these and get my money back.

And regarding the subtitles issue.....it's only on Identity and Ultimatum where the player generates the subtitles. Supremacy is not player generated. Not sure why that is so...

Notice anything odd about the subtitles? I still don't understand what the player generated subtitles are. How are they different from the other Blu-Rays with subtitles?
post #205 of 311 Old 02-01-2010, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

From the specs thread.
US Identity 29.76 UK 24.87
US Supremacy 28.03 UK 28.05
US Ultimatum 29.08 UK 26.32
post #206 of 311 Old 02-01-2010, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post

Notice anything odd about the subtitles? I still don't understand what the player generated subtitles are. How are they different from the other Blu-Rays with subtitles?

The subtitles are player generated. You know...it's like turning on your English subtitles on your player.

I would post screenshots, but I already sold my set to my friend. He agreed to pay me $30 even for it. They seemed to play ok in his player, but then again, he's using a PS3.
post #207 of 311 Old 02-01-2010, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT Dude View Post

From the specs thread.
US Identity 29.76 UK 24.87
US Supremacy 28.03 UK 28.05
US Ultimatum 29.08 UK 26.32

In that case, I think I might just wait for the US version of Boure Trilogy to go on sale.
post #208 of 311 Old 02-01-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:

As for my firmware, it needs no updating. I've played old and new Universal BD titles from the US and never experienced a single problem.

Some players have problems with some discs, regardless of the disc's origin. A co-worker lent me his copy of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly because if always froze in one exact spot on his Sharp player. It played fine for me in my Panasonic BD60. Eventually, I bought a copy, and swapped copies with him. My newer copy froze in the same spot on his player when he tried to play it. That is the only disc with which he has a problem. It does not mean his player is no good, but it sure can't play TGTBTU.

Also, even if you have never had a problem with firmware, sometimes an issue is addressed in the firmware that makes it worth updating. If there is a newer version for my player, I always get it before I have the problem the firmware addressed.
post #209 of 311 Old 02-01-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18 Brumaire View Post

Some players have problems with some discs, regardless of the disc's origin. A co-worker lent me his copy of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly because if always froze in one exact spot on his Sharp player. It played fine for me in my Panasonic BD60. Eventually, I bought a copy, and swapped copies with him. My newer copy froze in the same spot on his player when he tried to play it. That is the only disc with which he has a problem. It does not mean his player is no good, but it sure can't play TGTBTU.

Then that means that TGTBTU is authored in a special way that the Sharp player is rejecting. Like I said, Blu-ray is a very complex, problematic format that has no specific authoring standard to follow like DVDs. This explains why players constantly need to be updated and tweaked.

I’m not saying that UK discs are no good. But what I’m saying is that The Bourne trilogy BDs in the UK are authored slightly differently than the trilogy in the US. Probably because of the additional languages? I honestly don’t know. But like your TGTBTU problem, the Bourne UK discs are authored in a way that my player is rejecting. Hopefully, future firmware updates will address the issue. But doesn't matter anyway because I got rid of my set.
post #210 of 311 Old 02-01-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then that means that TGTBTU is authored in a special way that the Sharp player is rejecting. Like I said, Blu-ray is a very complex, problematic format that has no specific authoring standard to follow like DVDs. This explains why players constantly need to be updated and tweaked.

I'm not saying that UK discs are no good. But what I'm saying is that The Bourne trilogy BDs in the UK are authored slightly differently than the trilogy in the US. Probably because of the additional languages? I honestly don't know. But like your TGTBTU problem, the Bourne UK discs are authored in a way that my player is rejecting. Hopefully, future firmware updates will address the issue. But doesn't matter anyway because I got rid of my set.

Um yes, BD does have an authoring standard. It may be more complicated than DVDs due to all the new features, but it's not some wild west where you can just do anything. There is a spec to follow. When a firmware update is needed, it's either for an AACS key update, or to fix a bug.

Samsung players are notoriously problematic with even US discs. If you've avoided ever having a problem before this, you certainly got lucky with your timing - there have been many cases where new titles were incompatible with the Samsung and owners had to wait for Samsung to get off their duffs and release a new firmware to fix the bug.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page