post #31 of 59 Old 05-01-2010, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorthodt View Post

There is a total disconnect between the review and what the screenshots actually show.

I'd wait for a review from any other source first, personally. Just like I don't trust reviews from Nintendo Power or the Official Xbox magazine. I'll try and do a comparison today/tomorrow with my HD/BD copies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 05-01-2010, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

I'd wait for a review from any other source first, personally. Just like I don't trust reviews from Nintendo Power or the Official Xbox magazine. I'll try and do a comparison today/tomorrow with my HD/BD copies.

I've actually watched both of them myself. The first movie is almost on par with Gladiator in terms of scrubbing and general softness. Extremely disappointing. The sequel looks infinitely better, but of course it's squandered on the lesser of the two films.

I just thought it was funny how the bluray.com reviewer sang the video's praises and then posted screenshots that completely contradicted everything he said.
post #33 of 59 Old 05-01-2010, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorthodt View Post

I've actually watched both of them myself. The first movie is almost on par with Gladiator in terms of scrubbing and general softness. Extremely disappointing. The sequel looks infinitely better, but of course it's squandered on the lesser of the two films.

I just thought it was funny how the bluray.com reviewer sang the video's praises and then posted screenshots that completely contradicted everything he said.

Is it on par with the HD DVD (Elizabeth)?
post #34 of 59 Old 05-01-2010, 06:08 PM

Haven't seen the HD-DVD, so I couldn't attest to that.
post #35 of 59 Old 05-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Is it on par with the HD DVD (Elizabeth)?

From what I could tell the blu-ray is identical video wise with the HD-DVD (yes I checked back to back and am not going by memory). It has the same issues (i.e. the priests beard being clumpy).
post #36 of 59 Old 05-01-2010, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdssrugby View Post

From what I could tell the blu-ray is identical video wise with the HD-DVD (yes I checked back to back and am not going by memory). It has the same issues (i.e. the priests beard being clumpy).

That's good news...at least its not like Apollo 13.
post #37 of 59 Old 05-01-2010, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure what to make of the first Elizabeth film... The bd.com review is glowing, but the pictures shown within are fairly mediocre. But then the pics posted on the last page of this thread are downright terrible - huge splotches, and not a spec of fine detail. What is with the disconnect between the two sets of pics, and the general disconnect between the glowing review and either set of pics?

Further confusing things is the bd.com review of Elizabeth: The Golden Age. The video score is the same as the first film - but the text discusses that, while faithful to what the film is supposed to look like, the picture is in general drabber due to less colorful design, a series of unusual filters, and poor CGI implementation. But then the pictures look great! I mean, not "tier 0" or whatever they call it here, but I can see a lot of fine detail and small amounts of (non-splotchy) grain, and there is no obvious digital tampering that I can pick out from a quick glance. It looks worlds better than either set of Elizabeth 1 screengrabs I've seen, and the pictures themselves (from a BD quality, as well as a set design and general aesthetic standpoint) look good enough to make me interested in the film whereas previously I was not.
post #38 of 59 Old 05-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Reloaded View Post

I'm not sure what to make of the first Elizabeth film... The bd.com review is glowing, but the pictures shown within are fairly mediocre. But then the pics posted on the last page of this thread are downright terrible - huge splotches, and not a spec of fine detail. What is with the disconnect between the two sets of pics, and the general disconnect between the glowing review and either set of pics?

Further confusing things is the bd.com review of Elizabeth: The Golden Age. The video score is the same as the first film - but the text discusses that, while faithful to what the film is supposed to look like, the picture is in general drabber due to less colorful design, a series of unusual filters, and poor CGI implementation. But then the pictures look great! I mean, not "tier 0" or whatever they call it here, but I can see a lot of fine detail and small amounts of (non-splotchy) grain, and there is no obvious digital tampering that I can pick out from a quick glance. It looks worlds better than either set of Elizabeth 1 screengrabs I've seen, and the pictures themselves (from a BD quality, as well as a set design and general aesthetic standpoint) look good enough to make me interested in the film whereas previously I was not.

To be honest, that's a good question. With a quick and dirty comparison between my shot of Fiennes and Blu-ray.com's shot, it seems like the contrast in mine is slightly boosted (although the frames are not exactly the same). That being said, I've left Media player classic's settings at their default and made sure that the denoise function in my video card control panel was set to off.

For full transparency, here is my method (although I am admittedly no screenshot wunderkind like eric.exe or Xylon):
1. Run MPC HC and Anydvd
2. Find the movie file on the blu-ray and start it up
3. Find a frame in the movie, press pause, expand to full screen and press the "print screen" button on my keyboard.
4. Open MSpaint and press "ctrl +V"
5. Save as a PNG file.

If anyone sees a problem with this method let me know.

*EDIT*:
It seems that the stars weren't aligned properly when I took those screenshots as I've gone back and I get the same results that blu-ray.com did. As proof here's a comparison between one of my original screenshots and a new (correct version). Again, ny apologies for the inaccuracies of the earlier shots:
New:

Old:
post #39 of 59 Old 05-03-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I was looking forward to this. Horrible disappointment.
post #40 of 59 Old 05-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

That being said, I've left Media player classic's settings at their default and made sure that the denoise function in my video card control panel was set to off.

For full transparency, here is my method (although I am admittedly no screenshot wunderkind like eric.exe or Xylon):
1. Run MPC HC and Anydvd
2. Find the movie file on the blu-ray and start it up
3. Find a frame in the movie, press pause, expand to full screen and press the "print screen" button on my keyboard.
4. Open MSpaint and press "ctrl +V"
5. Save as a PNG file.

If anyone sees a problem with this method let me know.

Why aren't you using "File | Save Image..." (or Alt+I)? I'd like to think that would cut out any issues with print screen, and it shouldn't matter whether you're playing it at actual size or smaller (since MPC HC would be outputting the frame, I'd assume, not the resized output).

IIRC there may be issues with colorspace as well that "Save Image..." doesn't address (I'd hope it did, but, like you, I am not a bona fide screen shot expert).

Also, for sake of compression artifacts, be sure to select PNG as the output format, not JPEG (you could choose to open the PNG in Adobe Photoshop and save it at the best possible setting for JPEG, that should produce better results than simply selecting JPEG from MPC HC; feel free to compare though, I may be wrong).

As an aside, it'd be insanely helpful if a guide were written for how to get accurate frame grabs off of BD. I've never understood the secretive nature of this on here; I'm sure it's not insanely hard, and yet only a few people seem to have taken the time to work out how to do it.

Fight mediocrity: Insist on BD50 discs for all movies longer than 100 minutes, optimized video encodes that fully utilize the available space, lossless audio track, and new masters for catalog titles!
post #41 of 59 Old 05-04-2010, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

So the blurry, low-res, DNR'd mess gets a 4.5/5 video score, and the perfect encode straight from the DI gets 4.0/5. Right. And they say screenshots are misleading.
post #42 of 59 Old 05-04-2010, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

Nice oil paintings.

Stills are wrong. Phew. I knew my HD-DVD did not have this look. Glad to see the BD does neither.
post #43 of 59 Old 05-04-2010, 05:53 AM

Quote:

*EDIT*:
It seems that the stars weren't aligned properly when I took those screenshots as I've gone back and I get the same results that blu-ray.com did. As proof here's a comparison between one of my original screenshots and a new (correct version). Again, ny apologies for the inaccuracies of the earlier shots:
New:

Old:

No problem. But this does reinforce why I only rarely look at screen shots. They can be extremely misleading and have been in many cases. I enjoyed the BD transfer of Elizabeth very much. Sorry you guys can't.
post #44 of 59 Old 05-04-2010, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

I knew my HD-DVD did not have this look. Glad to see the BD does neither.

Agreed. I knew it couldn't look nearly that bad if it is similar to the HD DVD.
post #45 of 59 Old 05-04-2010, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Please delete all inaccurate screens/posts.

Quote:

*EDIT*:

post #46 of 59 Old 05-05-2010, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysam View Post

No problem. But this does reinforce why I only rarely look at screen shots. They can be extremely misleading and have been in many cases. I enjoyed the BD transfer of Elizabeth very much. Sorry you guys can't.

It has EE issues. Apart from that it's ok. And stills are very valuable. Just get them from the usual suspects (Xylon...) that know how to do them without additional processing. These are reliable and very helpful.
post #47 of 59 Old 05-11-2010, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Robert Harris "loves" Elizabeth on BD:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...y#post_3689946

Looks like I have to watch it and compare to the HD-DVD once my split screen system is up and running.
post #48 of 59 Old 05-11-2010, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

For anyone who doesn't take the time to read the linked post, "love" = "This horrific Blu-ray should be put out of its misery." Ouch, indeed!

Quote:

Looks like I have to watch it and compare to the HD-DVD once my split screen system is up and running.

post #49 of 59 Old 05-11-2010, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
I thought the AV was fairly good on these films.
I spent so much time being dazzled by the costumes, props, and locations in HD that nothing grabbed me as a serious problem.

The first film is much more satisfying story-wise than the 2nd.
Some of the character portrayal of a middle-aged Elizabeth in the sequel pining for Sir Walter Raleigh (C. Owens) has little basis in fact.

Elizabeth had fnck-buddies, but everything was done very discreet.
Nonetheless, the visuals can be serious eye-candy for the history buff.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #50 of 59 Old 05-11-2010, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Unfortunately some posters there have a misconception about the HD DVD's quality, both versions look 99.99% identical.
post #51 of 59 Old 05-12-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Reloaded View Post

I'm not sure what to make of the first Elizabeth film... The bd.com review is glowing, but the pictures shown within are fairly mediocre. ....

In his review of Spartacus the reviewer says he is using a 46" LCD:

("On a 46" LCD flatscreen, I found the DNR to be relatively minimal by modern (often hyperbolic) standards," -- under "Video" section)
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sparta...-Review/10166/

Unless sitting extremely close it would be hard to assess PQ, incl. DNR issues, on such a TV. I think it could be done for a static image.

I would think that due to motion blur issues on LCD it would be virtually impossible accurately to assess PQ of a moving image, no matter what the view distance.

"... we wonÂt be stopping plasma production any time soon. We see it going on for another ten years." -- Kevin Lee, VP, Smart TV Partnerships (Samsung), 1/7/11
post #52 of 59 Old 05-12-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:

I read his comments. They are so vitrolic and immoderate they sound like they were written by a common-or-garden internet crank. Has his account been spoofed?

"... we wonÂt be stopping plasma production any time soon. We see it going on for another ten years." -- Kevin Lee, VP, Smart TV Partnerships (Samsung), 1/7/11
post #53 of 59 Old 05-12-2010, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt73 View Post

I read his comments. They are so vitrolic and immoderate they sound like they were written by a common-or-garden internet crank. Has his account been spoofed?

No, a typical "review" for him.
When he got started in the biz, he was a good source.
However, over the years he has become....uh...a little odd, with lots of anger issues.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #54 of 59 Old 05-14-2010, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I was going to get the UK discs: can we safely assume or does anyone know the UK and US versions are identical video encodes or have the same extras?

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #55 of 59 Old 05-18-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I apologize if I missed it, but has it been definitively established whether or not transfer used on the HD DVD is the same one used on the Blu-ray Disc for Elizabeth? If the transfer is the same was there any tweaking done to the BD not done to the HD DVD?
post #56 of 59 Old 05-18-2010, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette View Post

I apologize if I missed it, but has it been definitively established whether or not transfer used on the HD DVD is the same one used on the Blu-ray Disc for Elizabeth? If the transfer is the same was there any tweaking done to the BD not done to the HD DVD?

They look identical to me.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #57 of 59 Old 05-18-2010, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
They look identical to me, too. And I definitely noticed a difference between The Thing, the Mummy films and U-571 on BD vs. HD-DVD.

Don't tug on that, you never know what it might be attached to...
post #58 of 59 Old 12-24-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I hate to bump such an old thread, but can someone confirm that the black levels in Elizabeth: The Golden Age are completely wrong? The entire movie looks like it's displayed on a crummy LCD on my KURO.
post #59 of 59 Old 12-27-2012, 06:09 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

I hate to bump such an old thread, but can someone confirm that the black levels in Elizabeth: The Golden Age are completely wrong? The entire movie looks like it's displayed on a crummy LCD on my KURO.

Yes, it looks the same here. It looks washed out on my calibrated Kuro.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page