Closed Thread

post #151 of 160 Old 01-26-2010, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
My 2¢,
I'm a firm believer in OAR and overall I prefer scope. Unless or until Cameron makes an unambiguous statement as to what the OAR is it's anybody's guess. Kyle_D screen shots do make a convincing argument about the framing butt....Having just watched yesterday in IMAX (and looking) I can say that a lot of the 3D effects would be removed or demised but matting.

Example: In the scene where everyone has gathered to hear the briefing about the Na'vi attack you are looking from the back of the room. The people in the back (bottom of the frame) are seated almost next to you making you feel like your are in the room. This 3D effect would be lost by matting off the bottom in a scope presentation. There are many other similar instances where matting off the bottom would diminish the depth of he 3D effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 160 Old 01-26-2010, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I saw this in 1.78:1 in 3D IMAX, and I would welcome this in 2.39:1 on the 2D Blu-ray release. However, I sit 1.5 screen widths from my screen.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #153 of 160 Old 01-26-2010, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

My 2¢,
I'm a firm believer in OAR and overall I prefer scope. Unless or until Cameron makes an unambiguous statement as to what the OAR is it's anybody's guess. Kyle_D screen shots do make a convincing argument about the framing butt....Having just watched yesterday in IMAX (and looking) I can say that a lot of the 3D effects would be removed or demised but matting.

Example: In the scene where everyone has gathered to hear the briefing about the Na'vi attack you are looking from the back of the room. The people in the back (bottom of the frame) are seated almost next to you making you feel like your are in the room. This 3D effect would be lost by matting off the bottom in a scope presentation. There are many other similar instances where matting off the bottom would diminish the depth of he 3D effect.

I think Cameron has told us what the OAR is. He released it in 1.78:1 in 3D wherever possible, and in 2.39:1 in 3D only where 1.78:1 was not practical. For 2D, he released it in 2.39:1. So, give me 2.39:1 for 2D, and 1.78:1 for 3D.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #154 of 160 Old 03-09-2010, 09:10 AM

Liked: 10
Wow, I’ve spent way too much time reading through this thread. Honestly, I don’t care about all the arguments for one AR or the other.
All I know is I like to use up as much of my 50” screen as possible. It feels more immersive to me. I feel like I can see more detail. Maybe when I save enough to buy a good projector and screen I won’t care which AR the movie is presented in. For now, I want my Kuro to get the most image real estate as it can.

Beauty, thy name is KURO.
post #155 of 160 Old 03-10-2010, 05:58 AM

Liked: 10
first look at the official cover art (blu-ray combo w/DVD)

post #156 of 160 Old 03-10-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
that is great news. I was wondering if they were going to release a bluray/dvd combo. seem like a perfect plan if you ask me.

Jacob
post #157 of 160 Old 03-19-2010, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wow, I am really confused. I thought most epic films like this were shot in 2.35:1 (or higher) then cropped or letterboxed for smaller screens. The Blu-ray is going to have a 1.78 ratio I think. So does that mean he shot it in 1.78 and cropped it for 2.35 screenings? Weird. I guess all of us with CIH setups won't get to use the whole screen without doing some cropping of our own. I'm not sure whether to be happy this is coming on video so soon, or bummed that it isn't going to be as exciting as it might have been had it used my whole screen width.
post #158 of 160 Old 03-19-2010, 07:26 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_D View Post

Ok, this is the quote that needs correcting because I keep seeing it perpetuated and it's wrong.

Here's a link to a 43-minute Q&A in which Cameron discusses the aspect ratios:

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2009/0...om-aliens.html

The money quote comes at the 13:20 mark.

So I'm actually going back on years of eschewing the 1.85:1 format. Now I'm saying the 1.85:1, or rather 1.78:1 format actually works really well in 3D, but only in 3D. I still like the scope ratio compositionally for flat projection.

Notice he says he likes the scope ratio for flat projection, but doesn't specify that he prefers the scope ratio for 2D Avatar.

Funny enough, he had the choice to provide Avatar on Blu-ray in 2D in the format he preferred.

He chose 1.78.

The money quote is the Blu-ray.

Straight from the horse's mouth. I rest my case.
post #159 of 160 Old 03-19-2010, 07:30 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kheiden View Post

Wow, I am really confused. I thought most epic films like this were shot in 2.35:1 (or higher) then cropped or letterboxed for smaller screens. The Blu-ray is going to have a 1.78 ratio I think. So does that mean he shot it in 1.78 and cropped it for 2.35 screenings? Weird. I guess all of us with CIH setups won't get to use the whole screen without doing some cropping of our own. I'm not sure whether to be happy this is coming on video so soon, or bummed that it isn't going to be as exciting as it might have been had it used my whole screen width.

If you check the previous pages you can see this cropping in action. Providing letterboxed 2.39 on the Blu-ray wouldn't have given you any different experience than you'll get by cropping this disc- both crowds can do what they want and prefer their way. Everyone should be happy with this.

It's just that providing it this way, Cameron is preferring 1.78 for the 2D presentation, and that will rub some people the wrong way.
post #160 of 160 Old 03-20-2010, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Same discussion has been happening here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1228143. No need for 2 pre-release threads. (Yes, I know this one was first)

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page