Paris, Texas (Criterion - Jan 26th) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-23-2010, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking forward to blind-buying this Criterion release on Tues. Being a big fan of road movies and character studies, I'm sure I'll be pleased on all counts. All the review sites have been unanimous in their praise of the disc's PQ, and recommends the BD highly in general.

Here's a couple takes:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Paris-...y-Review/7732/
http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/dis...ew.php?ID=2012

HiDef S c o p e Fanboy-man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-24-2010, 01:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 398
I'm looking forward to it as well, hopefully the video quality comments are on the mark as I've purchased several DVD releases of this film from all over the world and they've all been pretty mediocre in picture quality department.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-24-2010, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I'm looking forward to it as well, hopefully the video quality comments are on the mark as I've purchased several DVD releases of this film from all over the world and they've all been pretty mediocre in picture quality department.

Judging by the screencap comparisons on dvdbeaver, the blu looks to be a real revelation
post #4 of 8 Old 01-30-2010, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Watched this tonight. Criterion did a bang-up job and it looks great. Also includes 23 min of never before seen deleted scenes.

One glaring issue: in the later half of the movie I noticed a fairly pronounced fluctuation of the black levels. Sort of reminded me of Macrovision strobing from a VHS tape. It's very noticeable in dark scenes, much less so in bright scenes. Comes and goes for the last hour of the film. Very odd.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-31-2010, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I noticed this also while Instant Netflixing this classic. It is most noticeable during the laundry room scene where Travis falls asleep while telling Hunter about his own mother. I thought it was due to the quality of the stream. Wow, it's on the bluray as well? That's a shame as the scenic parts of the film are truly spectacular...even streamed at 720P.

"To Live Outside The Law You Must Be Honest"
post #6 of 8 Old 01-31-2010, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 221
No question that this is a wonderful transfer. Film grain intact, brilliant colors.
VERY odd that something like this was allowed to happen since it could easily have been fixed.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-31-2010, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I tried finding a copy of this film and it seems everyone is sold out. I was able to find a copy of the standard DVD but at the same price I think I prefer the Bluray edition.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-31-2010, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

it could easily have been fixed.

I know absolutely nothing about the mastering process but have been a customer of Criterion since their beginning. It seems they take far more care in bringing their editions to market than the average studio. Is it possible that this was not easy to fix?

I am not being sarcastic - you sound like an expert, and I would like to know why Criterion would just say "yeah, that's easy to fix, but let's not do it". Maybe they only mastered their version with automatic settings and never had one capable technician view the finished product. Or maybe fixing it would have created artifacts that would have looked even worse than the flaw?

How does one easily fix this? I will forward the fix on to Criterion and maybe someone there will take notice.

I need more zither!
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page