'Minority Report' - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
According to Blu-ray.com, Steven Spielberg's "Minority Report" will be released on Blu-ray in the US on April 20.

Quote:

Paramount Home Entertainment has announced 'Minority Report' on Blu-ray. This Steven Spielberg science-fiction thriller, based on a short story by Philip K. Dick and starring Tom Cruise, will be released on a two-disc edition on April 20. A "true 4K master" of the movie had been created in late 2009 by LaserPacific post production company (see blu-ray.com, September 11, 2009).

Special features include:

* The Future According to Steven Spielberg (in HD)
* Inside The World of Precrime (in HD)
* Phillip K. Dick, Steven Spielberg and Minority Report (in HD)
* Minority Report: Future Realized (in HD)
* Minority Report: Props of the Future (in HD)
* Highlights from Minority Report: From the Set
* Minority Report: Commercials of the Future (in HD)
* Previz Sequences
* From Story to Screen
* Deconstructing Minority Report
* The Stunts of Minority Report
* ILM and Minority Report
* Final Report
* Production Concepts
* Storyboard Sequences
* Trailers

Source: Blu-ray.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I'm in. I have the DVD and it's one of the few Tom Cruise movies worth owning.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Definitley will purchase

Frank

post #4 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I wasn't crazy about the ending, but when its less than $15 I'll be sorely tempted.
post #5 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I'll get it...if the picture quality is astonomically better than the dvd version. It was terrible imho. I had friends over to watch a movie and this was the one they chose. They thought the picture was nice. Then I threw in Lord of the Rings and we all realized how soft, muddy and grainy Minority Report really was.

post #6 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

I'll get it...if the picture quality is astonomically better than the dvd version. It was terrible imho. I had friends over to watch a movie and this was the one they chose. They thought the picture was nice. Then I threw in Lord of the Rings and we all realized how soft, muddy and grainy Minority Report really was.

Minority Report is intentionally highly stylized with heavy grain and blown out whites w/ stark contrast. If you didn't like the look of the dvd, you may not like the look of the blu-ray, although the grain should be much more finely resolved and less "muddy" as the dvd was.

Chris
post #7 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I didn't like the way the ending differs from the book (particularly as this is what the book is all about), but trying to see past that it's an interesting film.

What a shame that the gloss is more important than the philosophy in too many modern films.

Steve W
post #8 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

One of my faves, now bring out War of The Worlds with a lossless track and we'll be in business!!
post #9 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant View Post

One of my faves, now bring out War of The Worlds with a lossless track and we'll be in business!!

That might happen...
post #10 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Here's what the cinematographer has to say:
"The look of Minority Report is gritty, full of texture; we wanted viewers to get close to the story by making them feel that what they're looking at has a little bit of patina and roughness. It was important to the DP to get grain into the images.

I used the [Kodak Vision 800T] stock, which is extremely grainy, says Kaminski. I also used 5293, a slightly older emulsion with a little bit of grain. What's happened with Kodak is, I think, a calculated philosophy to get us closer to digital technology, because they have a great stake in it to get viewers accustomed to looking at really sharp, grainless images, so the transition will be easier. So, the emulsions Kodak has been giving to us recently have virtually no grain. But I think they're realizing that the transition to digital technology is not working that well thank God and that's where the 800 ASA emulsion comes from. If the cinematographer seems hostile toward the supposed digital future, he says it is because I like looking at movies and seeing the movement of the grain."

so, blind buyers beware...
post #11 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll pick this one up for sure.
post #12 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

I can die a happy man now...well, *after* the movie comes out and I've bought and watched it. It's been my most anticipated title since the format's debut.
post #13 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Been waiting for this one.

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
post #14 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Good deal! This and the rumored War of the Worlds in June are 2 definate double dips from the DVDs I own. Both are fantastic HT experiences.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #15 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I'm all over this one, and War of the Worlds, too.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #16 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 01:31 PM

Liked: 50
About time, glad the extras are in HD.
I waited on this and war of the worlds on dvd, its been a long wait
post #17 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Yessss!!!

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
post #18 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Hope the grain is sharp.
post #19 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 05:05 PM

Let the grain debate begin!

I'm in for a purchase of this...love the film and the stylized look.
post #20 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post

Let the grain debate begin!

I'm in for a purchase of this...love the film and the stylized look.

What debate? It has grain, and it was intentionally shot that way. End of story.

I agree with you, I love the stylized look of this film, which is pretty typical of Janusz Kaminski's "look" (in collaboration with Spielberg).

Let's see, we get Spielberg at the helm, cinematography by Kaminski, a story by Philip Dick, and a John Williams score. Not bad!
post #21 of 258 Old 01-25-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

What debate? It has grain, and it was intentionally shot that way. End of story.

Please note the "" at the end of my post, because every time this is released you have countless people wondering why there's so much grain, etc. and they don't realize/care that it's the intended. You're preaching to the choir and I love the look of the film and fully understand it's intentionally like that. Not everyone does and there's always a debate.

Watch...
post #22 of 258 Old 01-26-2010, 06:18 AM

Liked: 12
One of the "bluest" movies out there, surprised it took this long! Cant wait
post #23 of 258 Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Please note the "" at the end of my post, because every time this is released you have countless people wondering why there's so much grain, etc. and they don't realize/care that it's the intended. You're preaching to the choir and I love the look of the film and fully understand it's intentionally like that. Not everyone does and there's always a debate.

Watch...

Yeah, I know you do. I did a bad job in my post of indicating that I was basically following up with your point with regard to what others might say.

We are definitely on the same page.
post #24 of 258 Old 01-26-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Another person here who has been waiting for it... very happy cited to get this.
post #25 of 258 Old 01-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

A few more details from blu-ray.com .......

"Audio tracks will be included in English (5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio), French (5.1 Dolby Digital) and Spanish (2.0 Dolby Digital), along with subtitles in English, French and Spanish. The Blu-ray contains over an hour of newly-created content.

New extra content:

o The Hoverpack Sequence (in HD)
o The Car Factory Sequence (HD)
* Previz Sequences
o The Hoverpack Sequence Previz (in HD)
o Maglev Chase Previz (in HD)

Extra content carried over from the DVD:

* From Story to Screen
* Final Report
* Production Concepts
* Storyboard Sequences
* Trailers (in HD)

The look of Minority Report

When the movie opened in theaters, director of photography Janusz Kaminski warned that it is “gritty, full of texture; we wanted viewers to get close to the story by making them feel that what they're looking at has a little bit of patina and roughness.” (Live Design, June 1, 2002). He used an "extremely grainy" 800 ASA film stock and criticized recent Kodak grain-free emulsions. “I like looking at movies and seeing the movement of the grain. There's a certain emotional response, whether viewers are conscious of it or not; we distance ourselves emotionally from images that are crisp and clear. Grain reminds people of their experience and gets them closer to the story,” concluded Kaminski. Additionally, a special print process was utilized, to increase contrast and grain and reduce saturation.

The remastering of Minority Report

In 2009, 'Minority Report' was re-mastered at 4K resolution using the original negative, under direct supervision of the Poland-born cinematographer. According to LaserPacific's Senior Colorist Lou Levinson, "when Janusz Kaminski saw certain scenes in the movie, he was astonished to see details that he had never seen before. Working at 4K is as close as you can get today to seeing exactly what is on the original negative" (source: LaserPacific).

Levinson was able to tweak not only the color but also the grain levels from shot to shot if necessary. He explains, "Janusz Kaminski is a cinematographer who uses the texture and grain of film as an integral part of the image. He was excited to be able to have the control over each shot that you get with a digital process, particularly the ability to adjust the grain level."

The grading process began with Levinson matching an answer print. The answer print consisted of individual reels that Steven Spielberg had selected as best representing how he wanted the movie to be seen. At that point, Janusz Kaminski came in to work with Levinson. The grading was done while viewing the 4K files rather than a lower resolution proxy.

Steven Spielberg was also closely involved in the remastering and the resulting HDCAM-SR master represents how the creative team want the movie to be seen by viewers today.

The HD master used for making the Blu-Ray release was created directly from the color-graded, dust-busted 4K files. Going directly from 4K to HD resolution eliminates any filtering or resizing artifacts that can result from intermediate steps."

post #26 of 258 Old 01-26-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Double-dip?? CHECK.

I sold my two-disc DVD of this a couple of years ago when DVD's were still worth something. Looking forward to this...again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDad View Post

A few more details from blu-ray.com .......

"Audio tracks will be included in English (5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio), French (5.1 Dolby Digital) and Spanish (2.0 Dolby Digital), along with subtitles in English, French and Spanish. The Blu-ray contains over an hour of newly-created content.

New extra content:

o The Hoverpack Sequence (in HD)
o The Car Factory Sequence (HD)
* Previz Sequences
o The Hoverpack Sequence Previz (in HD)
o Maglev Chase Previz (in HD)

Extra content carried over from the DVD:

* From Story to Screen
* Final Report
* Production Concepts
* Storyboard Sequences
* Trailers (in HD)

The look of Minority Report

When the movie opened in theaters, director of photography Janusz Kaminski warned that it is gritty, full of texture; we wanted viewers to get close to the story by making them feel that what they're looking at has a little bit of patina and roughness. (Live Design, June 1, 2002). He used an "extremely grainy" 800 ASA film stock and criticized recent Kodak grain-free emulsions. I like looking at movies and seeing the movement of the grain. There's a certain emotional response, whether viewers are conscious of it or not; we distance ourselves emotionally from images that are crisp and clear. Grain reminds people of their experience and gets them closer to the story, concluded Kaminski. Additionally, a special print process was utilized, to increase contrast and grain and reduce saturation.

The remastering of Minority Report

In 2009, 'Minority Report' was re-mastered at 4K resolution using the original negative, under direct supervision of the Poland-born cinematographer. According to LaserPacific's Senior Colorist Lou Levinson, "when Janusz Kaminski saw certain scenes in the movie, he was astonished to see details that he had never seen before. Working at 4K is as close as you can get today to seeing exactly what is on the original negative" (source: LaserPacific).

Levinson was able to tweak not only the color but also the grain levels from shot to shot if necessary. He explains, "Janusz Kaminski is a cinematographer who uses the texture and grain of film as an integral part of the image. He was excited to be able to have the control over each shot that you get with a digital process, particularly the ability to adjust the grain level."

The grading process began with Levinson matching an answer print. The answer print consisted of individual reels that Steven Spielberg had selected as best representing how he wanted the movie to be seen. At that point, Janusz Kaminski came in to work with Levinson. The grading was done while viewing the 4K files rather than a lower resolution proxy.

Steven Spielberg was also closely involved in the remastering and the resulting HDCAM-SR master represents how the creative team want the movie to be seen by viewers today.

The HD master used for making the Blu-Ray release was created directly from the color-graded, dust-busted 4K files. Going directly from 4K to HD resolution eliminates any filtering or resizing artifacts that can result from intermediate steps."

post #27 of 258 Old 01-26-2010, 03:34 PM

Yay! One my fave movies from Mr Spielberg recently!
Can't wait to 'feel' how that sonic gun shakes my room this time!

Still no directors commantary Mr spielberg..? (sigh)
post #28 of 258 Old 01-26-2010, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Levinson was able to tweak not only the color but also the grain levels from shot to shot if necessary. He explains, "Janusz Kaminski is a cinematographer who uses the texture and grain of film as an integral part of the image. He was excited to be able to have the control over each shot that you get with a digital process, particularly the ability to adjust the grain level.

How does one adjust the grain levels after it's been shot?
post #29 of 258 Old 01-26-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

How does one adjust the grain levels after it's been shot?

Well since it's a "digital process" I'm pretty sure you could tweak just about anything a la the filter we can use in Photoshop to "add noise" to a photo, etc.
post #30 of 258 Old 01-26-2010, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well since it's a "digital process" I'm pretty sure you could tweak just about anything a la the filter we can use in Photoshop to "add noise" to a photo, etc.

Yep, same concept. Similar to scanning film to a computer then running the digital file through photoshop and the various filters/applications.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page